The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you find like-minded people around you?

Anything related to matters of the mind

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
Maybe the answer to my question is somewhere else in this forum that I haven't spent enough time navigating through.

Does anyone else feel like they wish someone understood them a little better than their peers or close friends, at least with respect to having a Fastlane mindset? Sure, everyone dreams of being an entrepreneur to varying degrees. But for those of us in this forum, we're clearly interested in taking an extra step beyond just reading TMF .

How much faster could you get things done if you had someone to bounce ideas off of in real-time? How much more motivated would you be if you had someone to hold you accountable?

I actually have a partner for my startup and even though we've come pretty far in less than a year, I can tell he doesn't get as excited or see how great our company can be. I know he cares enough about the company because he's proud of what he's been able to do and contribute, but I can't talk to him and feel the same enthusiasm about what we're doing.

How do you find those like-minded persons to connect and build community with?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
make your partner read TMF ?
I've offered it and other books I've enjoyed and have helped me shape our company. He generally hasn't expressed any interest in reading any of my suggestions.
Maybe I'll revisit this conversation with him in a few weeks as we see our business ramp up a little. Perhaps that spark will be a little bigger when there's more progress for him to be proud of and be excited about.
Thanks for the suggestion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

You're at a forum built around the community you describe. You're at a forum surrounded by people with a Fastlane mindset.

If you're looking for local like-thinking people, that likely would have to come from a local entrepreneur group.

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
You're at a forum built around the community you describe. You're at a forum surrounded by people with a Fastlane mindset.

If you're looking for local like-thinking people, that likely would have to come from a local entrepreneur group.
Right, that's where my mind was going with this post: where to find and get to know people locally...

Facebook entrepreneur groups have been far from what I expected them to be, and the one or two Meetup groups also haven't met my expectations.

I definitely appreciate this forum and community and I know I can always rely on the members here. But if there's no better way about it, maybe I'll have to make my own group and find the other Fastlaners in my area...

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
421%
Aug 9, 2022
Does anyone else feel like they wish someone understood them a little better than their peers or close friends, at least with respect to having a Fastlane mindset?
Yes, I do, sometimes. We're all human. We want social connections. We want friends. A tribe. People who go through the same pain as us.

It's sure lonely, but this forum makes it bearable.

It's one of the best places on the Internet and I will say it until I make my millions.

This is the place you get to read about those who have to endure the very same loneliness you're going through.

After going through a few gold threads, you'll realize everyone had to pay their dues and everyone had to be tested with either 1) loneliness or 2) lack of results. The most powerful threads always pull through against the odds. It's not about being mentally strong or anything either. It's just about understanding and accepting the rule of the game. The game that people choose to play when they agree with what MJ writes: what you are about to embark on goes against social norms + 99% of people's mindset. (so you will feel like a social reject for the most part until you find your own tribe of kickass rebels)

Where is the tribe?

Just start posting on this forum man. Become someone of value here or even in your day-to-day life. You'll learn what value is by engaging with others. You'll help yourself more than you could imagine even if your post is meant to solve someone else's problem. People are drawn to value providers too(life lesson you will learn from the forum). Everyone wants an invitation to a party. Everyone needs their problem solved.

It's like if you want to make kick-a$$ friends... you have to start being the a$$-kicker first. To lead others you must start to lead yourself.

But not only that, when you are engaging on here(besides the troll threads lol, don't get hooked up on those) your mind will see that Fastlane is possible, and not only MJ but frequent posters are living the life. How much more can you ask from a free site that beat any other paid community or $997 course ha!

Of course, then you just have to endure what you think is loneliness and follow the poster's breadcrumbs, build your systems, build yourself, and your business, and go meet up with them, thank them, and hopefully give back to those who need it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Facebook entrepreneur groups have been far from what I expected them to be, and the one or two Meetup groups also haven't met my expectations.

My experience here is that a lot of these groups are filled with MLM junkies and people who want to sell you on a bunch of shit. So I understand your question when it comes to IRL.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Apr 17, 2022
Trust me when I say this:

As a beginner entrepreneur that is just beginning their journey, the last thing you want is to surround yourself with other like-minded people.

Who you've been until this moment, and the mindset that you've developed over the years, has led you exactly to the point where you are right now.

If things are going great, by all means - keep the same mindset and seek like-minded people.

However, if things haven't been going so great great, do yourself a favor and forget everything you think you know about yourself, about the world, and about business.

And instead, listen to what people are talking about here, take notes, take action, and fully adopt the fastlane mindset.

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
Maybe the answer to my question is somewhere else in this forum that I haven't spent enough time navigating through.

Does anyone else feel like they wish someone understood them a little better than their peers or close friends, at least with respect to having a Fastlane mindset? Sure, everyone dreams of being an entrepreneur to varying degrees. But for those of us in this forum, we're clearly interested in taking an extra step beyond just reading TMF .

How much faster could you get things done if you had someone to bounce ideas off of in real-time? How much more motivated would you be if you had someone to hold you accountable?

I actually have a partner for my startup and even though we've come pretty far in less than a year, I can tell he doesn't get as excited or see how great our company can be. I know he cares enough about the company because he's proud of what he's been able to do and contribute, but I can't talk to him and feel the same enthusiasm about what we're doing.

If you’re not aware of a group in your local area, start one. There are lots of social platforms you could leverage. What I would recommend is hosting a book discussion of TMF or Unscripted at a local library of coffee shop. It is usually free to do and would likely allow you to meet a decent number of like minded people.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Be the type of person winners want to associate with.

At the end of the day, you'll have to build your own little world before anyone wants to be in it.

You can come to this forum, go to events, shake hands and all that, but if you just say "yeah man I'm trying to learn", you are just extracting value. Not sustainable.

Start something, have good ideas and accomplish things, watch how the connections start happening.

If you are "attractive" and have stuff going on, have a great mind, etc. People will come to you. You will get introduced to people, others will want to be involved. They will want your input, they will ask to meet you, and you will get more relationships. BE the person that others are trying to meet.

You don't get there overnight. You start something, and people who have also started something will associate with you. You work together and pass ideas back and forth and you build something cool, then higher up people will take an interest in you. Rinse and repeat. There's probably a shit ton of winners your age in your town. A lot of them are in businesses their family started and they took over most of it.

Do not have friends for the sake of having friends. I hang out with people I'm in business with. We have franchisees. I took on interesting successful people as our franchisees so when I talk to them, we are talking business, and we have fun too.

It's an easy way for us to naturally build a network of businesspeople. There's no "maintenance" needed for the relationship. We have business to discuss anyways. We don't just go get lunch, we go to lunch and talk about our interests; business. We come up with ideas and try new things, refer people to each other.

"Hey I got a company handling X for me they are awesome"
"Sweet, I'll call them, I also got this software that does Y, I'll send it to you"
"Okay cool, hey later today lets go grill some steaks and blow some shit up in the mountains and shoot some guns" "Okay cool I'm down, let's invite this guy I know he's interested in getting a location set up"
"Awesome sounds good".

Seems like every week or two I'm meeting another cool person who thinks similar. This guy knows a guy. This other guy knows some people. Etc. They all talk. "Hey let's get the guys together and go do X"

Then you don't F*ck it up. You show up, and you do what you say you're going to do.

It doesn't happen overnight. You build it like a muscle. You build everything like a muscle. It starts off weak and you keep showing up.

It's not a fun answer to hear. It feels like you're alone and you only get what you need after you've done it by yourself first, and yeah, it sucks a bit when you start off. A lot of things are like that. When you need help the most, nobody wants to be around you. When you need the money the most no banks want to give it to you. When you need things they are the hardest to find, but it doesn't stay like that forever.

That is my experience.

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
Yes, I do, sometimes. We're all human. We want social connections. We want friends. A tribe. People who go through the same pain as us.

It's sure lonely, but this forum makes it bearable.

It's one of the best places on the Internet and I will say it until I make my millions.

This is the place you get to read about those who have to endure the very same loneliness you're going through.

After going through a few gold threads, you'll realize everyone had to pay their dues and everyone had to be tested with either 1) loneliness or 2) lack of results. The most powerful threads always pull through against the odds. It's not about being mentally strong or anything either. It's just about understanding and accepting the rule of the game. The game that people choose to play when they agree with what MJ writes: what you are about to embark on goes against social norms + 99% of people's mindset. (so you will feel like a social reject for the most part until you find your own tribe of kickass rebels)

Where is the tribe?

Just start posting on this forum man. Become someone of value here or even in your day-to-day life. You'll learn what value is by engaging with others. You'll help yourself more than you could imagine even if your post is meant to solve someone else's problem. People are drawn to value providers too(life lesson you will learn from the forum). Everyone wants an invitation to a party. Everyone needs their problem solved.

It's like if you want to make kick-a$$ friends... you have to start being the a$$-kicker first. To lead others you must start to lead yourself.

But not only that, when you are engaging on here(besides the troll threads lol, don't get hooked up on those) your mind will see that Fastlane is possible, and not only MJ but frequent posters are living the life. How much more can you ask from a free site that beat any other paid community or $997 course ha!

Of course, then you just have to endure what you think is loneliness and follow the poster's breadcrumbs, build your systems, build yourself, and your business, and go meet up with them, thank them, and hopefully give back to those who need it.
I appreciate the feedback. I finished both TMF and Unscripted a while ago and joined the forum but I didn't see or feel the value of engaging at the time. My mind was clearly still very antsy and unfocused. But since then, now having my own Fastlane project I'm happy to commit to for the next several years, it has reshaped my perspective.

I can understand what you're saying a lot more and hearing it aloud definitely has me much more open-minded to being engaging.

This is what I needed to hear.

larryous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 12, 2021
Be the type of person winners want to associate with.

At the end of the day, you'll have to build your own little world before anyone wants to be in it.

You can come to this forum, go to events, shake hands and all that, but if you just say "yeah man I'm trying to learn", you are just extracting value. Not sustainable.

Start something, have good ideas and accomplish things, watch how the connections start happening.

If you are "attractive" and have stuff going on, have a great mind, etc. People will come to you. You will get introduced to people, others will want to be involved. They will want your input, they will ask to meet you, and you will get more relationships. BE the person that others are trying to meet.

You don't get there overnight. You start something, and people who have also started something will associate with you. You work together and pass ideas back and forth and you build something cool, then higher up people will take an interest in you. Rinse and repeat. There's probably a shit ton of winners your age in your town. A lot of them are in businesses their family started and they took over most of it.

Do not have friends for the sake of having friends. I hang out with people I'm in business with. We have franchisees. I took on interesting successful people as our franchisees so when I talk to them, we are talking business, and we have fun too.

It's an easy way for us to naturally build a network of businesspeople. There's no "maintenance" needed for the relationship. We have business to discuss anyways. We don't just go get lunch, we go to lunch and talk about our interests; business. We come up with ideas and try new things, refer people to each other.

"Hey I got a company handling X for me they are awesome"
"Sweet, I'll call them, I also got this software that does Y, I'll send it to you"
"Okay cool, hey later today lets go grill some steaks and blow some shit up in the mountains and shoot some guns" "Okay cool I'm down, let's invite this guy I know he's interested in getting a location set up"
"Awesome sounds good".

Seems like every week or two I'm meeting another cool person who thinks similar. This guy knows a guy. This other guy knows some people. Etc. They all talk. "Hey let's get the guys together and go do X"

Then you don't F*ck it up. You show up, and you do what you say you're going to do.

It doesn't happen overnight. You build it like a muscle. You build everything like a muscle. It starts off weak and you keep showing up.

It's not a fun answer to hear. It feels like you're alone and you only get what you need after you've done it by yourself first, and yeah, it sucks a bit when you start off. A lot of things are like that. When you need help the most, nobody wants to be around you. When you need the money the most no banks want to give it to you. When you need things they are the hardest to find, but it doesn't stay like that forever.

That is my experience.
Exactly as you described, I want to find the people that just want to talk business. My college friends and teammates know I'm a bore to be around because I don't have much interest in their usual conversations and interests. I want to grow my business; i want to help my friends grow their's. But none of them have the mindset so I'm stuck.

I get what you're saying - once I can prove myself a little more those whom are interested will seek me out. And to be honest, I've seen little inklings of that happen the last couple weeks as well. It feels good seeing it happen because it tells me I'm moving in the right direction.

This thread was started because I thought there would be more of us in the world, or at least there would be a clue for how to differentiate us IRL. But that in itself contradicts the Fastlane - if everyone or the majority were in the Fastlane, it would no longer be one.

So I appreciate MJ and all of you for the feedback. My spirit is fired up because I know this Fastlane is where I should be.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Exactly as you described, I want to find the people that just want to talk business. My college friends and teammates know I'm a bore to be around because I don't have much interest in their usual conversations and interests. I want to grow my business; i want to help my friends grow their's. But none of them have the mindset so I'm stuck.

I get what you're saying - once I can prove myself a little more those whom are interested will seek me out. And to be honest, I've seen little inklings of that happen the last couple weeks as well. It feels good seeing it happen because it tells me I'm moving in the right direction.

This thread was started because I thought there would be more of us in the world, or at least there would be a clue for how to differentiate us IRL. But that in itself contradicts the Fastlane - if everyone or the majority were in the Fastlane, it would no longer be one.

So I appreciate MJ and all of you for the feedback. My spirit is fired up because I know this Fastlane is where I should be.
Every one of us are dropouts so you will not find us in the universities.

I have met a lot of guys my age going to school and any of them who are finishing their degree and have a high IQ are the most insufferable people I have ever met. Without exception.

Side note, don’t wait for other people. YOU be the leader. Talk about business. Friends aren’t interested? Be more convincing.

As the owner it’s my job to sell people on doing the things I want, and thinking the way I want. I have to have others on board and be on the same page, I don’t make it someone else’s responsibility to have enthusiasm, I put the weight on my shoulders and I assume no one will care unless I do first.

A good way to go through life is to assume nothing will get done unless you do something, nobody will be excited until you make them, it’s always on you. Nobody will lead, nobody will be original, nobody will be excited, so it’s up to you to be the initiator, the doer, the leader.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Exactly as you described, I want to find the people that just want to talk business.

I promise you most successful people I know never want to talk strictly business.

It's something that you always fit around whatever else you're doing.

Want to find successful people? They're all around you but you won't know immediately.

I've met successful people at parties, church, beach barbecues, coffee shops, playing tennis, running at the track. Successful people are almost never found at conferences or business groups unless they want to sell you something (majority) or if they want to give back somehow (minority).

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Yeah enthusiasm is awesome!

You can write down how enthusiastic everyone is in a day that you talk to

You can write down how enthusiastic you are every hour for a day

Chances are now that after a year, this friend has taken down your enthusiasm too. Sounds like maybe some frustration too, clear that energy from you quickly

Relevant affirmations: I’m excited for what’s going to happen today, I create my reality, I choose to be enthusiastic today

Work on your wisdom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.