The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I develop and manufacture a physical product?

nightmare

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I have an idea for a product (it's a water bottle but not simply just a bottle). I personally would benefit so much from this product. I want to make a prototype and start using it myself, then poke around communities to see if others like it. Even if no one wants it, I just want to learn to manufacture stuff so I can move on to different product. For example, how do I know what type of plastic to use? How thick? What shape to make it? The opening and closing mechanism, packaging, how to get it mass produced, etc. Where do I even start looking?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
You can literally google all of those questions.

Have you even googled "what types of plastics to use in water bottles" yet?

Have you googled what other water bottle companies are doing?

You feel overwhelmed, because you don't know anything, and there's so much you need to know.

So pick one thing, and start learning about it. Answer one question at a time.

I have lots of products. For a recent textile product, I started from 0. Knowing absolutely nothing about fabric. After 4 hours of googling, I knew I wanted 600D ripstop oxford polyester, heat sealed double-stitched seams, polyurethane coating, and all of the specific features: measurements, drawstrings, hang tags, etc.

Then I messaged 30 factories on Alibaba who could make this thing, and told them how many I wanted. Then I picked the one that said "ok" when I told them all of the above. Then after I approved the sample they made, I had what I needed 8 weeks later, just how I wanted it.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
To answer some of those questions - start by looking at existing bottles in the market, similar to the one you want to make. That will teach you a lot about shapes, thicknesses, even materials. But also what @amp0193 said - you can find a LOT on Google and Alibaba.

nightmare

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 28, 2019
You can literally google all of those questions.

Have you even googled "what types of plastics to use in water bottles" yet?

Have you googled what other water bottle companies are doing?

You feel overwhelmed, because you don't know anything, and there's so much you need to know.

I have lots of products. For a recent textile product, I started from 0. Knowing absolutely nothing about fabric. After 4 hours of googling, I knew I wanted 600D ripstop oxford polyester, heat sealed double-stitched seams, polyurethane coating, and all of the specific features: measurements, drawstrings, hang tags, etc.

Then I messaged 30 factories on Alibaba who could make this thing, and told them how many I wanted. Then I picked the one that said "ok" when I told them all of the above. Then after I approved the sample they made, I had what I needed 8 weeks later, just how I wanted it.

No, i haven't googled those questions and i really don't know why. You're right... It's actually so simple.

nightmare

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 28, 2019
To answer some of those questions - start by looking at existing bottles in the market, similar to the one you want to make. That will teach you a lot about shapes, thicknesses, even materials. But also what @amp0193 said - you can find a LOT on Google and Alibaba.
Will do, thanks

Mike Donnigan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Oct 7, 2019
Orange County, CA

This is the best advice—though yes, it's nothing new. I get so overwhelmed looking into a new idea that my eyes roll into the back of my head and I start to pass out/fall asleep. This is a literal thing that happens while sitting in front of my laptop, trying to learn something hard. Aside from smaller pieces, what other remedies can combat this symptom?

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.