• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO How do I develop and manufacture a physical product?

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by nightmare, Mar 12, 2019.

1. nightmare

nightmare PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Hello everyone,

So I have an idea for a product (it's a water bottle but not simply just a bottle). I personally would benefit so much from this product. I want to make a prototype and start using it myself, then poke around communities to see if others like it. Even if no one wants it, I just want to learn to manufacture stuff so I can move on to different product. For example, how do I know what type of plastic to use? How thick? What shape to make it? The opening and closing mechanism, packaging, how to get it mass produced, etc. Where do I even start looking?

2. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,507
    You can literally google all of those questions.

Have you even googled "what types of plastics to use in water bottles" yet?

Have you googled what other water bottle companies are doing?

You feel overwhelmed, because you don't know anything, and there's so much you need to know.

So pick one thing, and start learning about it. Answer one question at a time.

I have lots of products. For a recent textile product, I started from 0. Knowing absolutely nothing about fabric. After 4 hours of googling, I knew I wanted 600D ripstop oxford polyester, heat sealed double-stitched seams, polyurethane coating, and all of the specific features: measurements, drawstrings, hang tags, etc.

Then I messaged 30 factories on Alibaba who could make this thing, and told them how many I wanted. Then I picked the one that said "ok" when I told them all of the above. Then after I approved the sample they made, I had what I needed 8 weeks later, just how I wanted it.

nightmare and JasonR like this.
  3. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $51,286
    To answer some of those questions - start by looking at existing bottles in the market, similar to the one you want to make. That will teach you a lot about shapes, thicknesses, even materials. But also what @amp0193 said - you can find a LOT on Google and Alibaba.

nightmare likes this.
  4. nightmare

nightmare PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    No, i haven't googled those questions and i really don't know why. You're right... It's actually so simple.

5. nightmare

nightmare PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Will do, thanks

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.