The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
In the spirit of derailing this thread, this is something I have been musing on recently. Taking charge of your career if you either can't or don't want to be an entrepreneur. Taking some of the ideas of entrepreneurship and applying them to yourself. The idea is rather than selling an idea, you're selling yourself. Thoughts?

There really wasn't much to derail.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
In the spirit of derailing this thread, this is something I have been musing on recently. Taking charge of your career if you either can't or don't want to be an entrepreneur. Taking some of the ideas of entrepreneurship and applying them to yourself. The idea is rather than selling an idea, you're selling yourself. Thoughts?

What are you musing about? About whether you'll be rejected here if you choose a job, or about whether or not a job can be Fastlane?

If it's the latter, then the answer is yes a job can be Fastlane. You don't have to be an Entrepreneur to have a winning mindset. You don't have to own a business to make hundreds of millions and become financially secure. Also, you don't even have to desire to make hundreds of millions to live free and be happy.

In the end it comes down to the life you want to live and whether or not you choose to live it.

If you pinpoint the experiences you want from life, then it's easy to know whether or not the path you've chosen brings those results. If you want to own the world, you may need to be an entrepreneur like Jeff Bezos. But if you just want to own a small piece of land, and forgo luxuries, then maybe 20 hours a week at McDonald's and good money management skills are all you need.

So the real question is, what experiences do you want from life? And... Can the path you're thinking of choosing bring those experiences to you?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

"Intrapreneur" You need to find a company and manager that will give you the time/freedom to create your own niche within the company. This was my career until I moved to sales. I managed to get a lab/clubhouse built, hired a couple of amazing people to do the stuff I hated and then went to meetings to listen to people internally and externally who had problems worth solving. It was a ton of fun.

If I'd wanted to progress along this path I'd have come up with a pitch for products and tried to get support to build a team to make them in a whole new product segment. This is the best way to become a corp VP (IMO).

Ideally you also are working at a company where you can negotiate pay tied to whether you succeed or fail within whatever you start under their corp umbrella. Participate in the actual revenue stream rather than being an employee HR level 37 or whatever. I missed this part.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
What are you musing about? About whether you'll be rejected here if you choose a job, or about whether or not a job can be Fastlane?

If it's the latter, then the answer is yes a job can be Fastlane. You don't have to be an Entrepreneur to have a winning mindset. You don't have to own a business to make hundreds of millions and become financially secure. Also, you don't even have to desire to make hundreds of millions to live free and be happy.

In the end it comes down to the life you want to live and whether or not you choose to live it.

If you pinpoint the experiences you want from life, then it's easy to know whether or not the path you've chosen brings those results. If you want to own the world, you may need to be an entrepreneur like Jeff Bezos. But if you just want to own a small piece of land, and forgo luxuries, then maybe 20 hours a week at McDonald's and good money management skills are all you need.

So the real question is, what experiences do you want from life? And... Can the path you're thinking of choosing bring those experiences to you?

So, there's no room for success/growth/happiness inbetween a Jeff Bezos entrepreneurial model or working at McDonalds? The free world isn't that far gone and static yet.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
So, there's no room for success/growth/happiness inbetween a Jeff Bezos entrepreneurial model or working at McDonalds? The free world isn't that far gone and static yet.

He told OP he needs to "know thyself" in so many words.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
Im new to this FastLane Life...any tips on how to get started?

Howdy, welcome to the forum. Your question was very open-ended and nobody could really give you a good answer without knowing you, your background, your skills, resources, etc. Otherwise we'd just be giving suggestions and "you should this or that.." and most of us don't like to "should" all over ourselves.

I thought I'd chime in and say a few words because.. this topic has been a major part of my life. I'm about to turn 26 years old. I have always felt "different" and wanted to be unique and live different than the crowd. I ask too many questions, I always ask why.. not to be annoying, but because I really want to know and understand. This tendency did not go well with my previous bosses. I decided I don't like having a boss.

Since I was 18 and graduated.. people said "Hey Jack, what are you going to do now that you've graduated and you're not going to college?" And I said the same thing you said.. "I'm not sure.." I thought I'd go travel.. but I couldn't afford it as I worked at Mcdonalds. So I searched. I started reading about making money online, affiliate marketing, incentive marketing, PPC, Amazon, eBay, blogging, etc. I worked as a car salesman, 7-eleven clerk, burger flipper, cashier, sandwich delivery guy, electric supply stocker, box truck driver, correctional officer, construction assistant superintendent.. a LOT of jobs that didn't require college.

I did these jobs partly to earn a living... but also to EXPERIENCE. To try things out.. and I always googled and read about things that interested me.. and eventually when I quit being a cheap a$$, I started buying books about what I was interested in.. I now have a library probably the equivalent to many slowlaners dvd/blu-ray collections. So I read Rich Dad Poor Dad.. that was the beginning of my new life.. just 3.5 years ago. Through all this experience, I found that I like sales, and negotiating, finding good deals.. I did this to find inventory for eBay and flea market selling. Then I made profit on a car.. lightbulb came on.. I started flipping cars.. then I thought.. what can I flip that's even bigger profit than cars? I'm already making HUNDREDS.. what if I could make THOUSANDS?! then.. houses came along..

So.. the point is.. it took a long time.. a lot of experiences, a lot of conversations, a lot of failure, to discover what I enjoy.. what I like doing that can still provide value in the marketplace. So ask yourself.. what interests you? Now how can you make money from it? If you like it, there's a good chance other people do too.. can you sell a related product? Can you teach people about it? Or can you provide a related service?
See what I did there? You need to provide a (Physical Product, Information product, or service)

Once you learn what your "one thing" is... you can focus on it, master it, get your 10,000 hours in.. focus on your strengths and outsource your weaknesses.. then scale and grow.. once you find it.. don't chase shiny objects.. even when it sucks and feels slow.. because every detour just delays your success that much more. Solve one problem a time, do what you know you need to do.. learn all you can, ask questions, but above all, take daily action towards where you want to be.. and eventually you'll get there.. many millionaires have told me.. it sucks to get started.. but after 7 years.. 10 years.. 12 years.. you start to see the top of the hill, and you wake up one morning and you're making $40,000+ per month..

You can work towards your dreams or someone else's.. 12 years is gonna pass either way. Hope this helped man.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Howdy, welcome to the forum. Your question was very open-ended and nobody could really give you a good answer without knowing you, your background, your skills, resources, etc. Otherwise we'd just be giving suggestions and "you should this or that.." and most of us don't like to "should" all over ourselves.

I thought I'd chime in and say a few words because.. this topic has been a major part of my life. I'm about to turn 26 years old. I have always felt "different" and wanted to be unique and live different than the crowd. I ask too many questions, I always ask why.. not to be annoying, but because I really want to know and understand. This tendency did not go well with my previous bosses. I decided I don't like having a boss.

Since I was 18 and graduated.. people said "Hey Jack, what are you going to do now that you've graduated and you're not going to college?" And I said the same thing you said.. "I'm not sure.." I thought I'd go travel.. but I couldn't afford it as I worked at Mcdonalds. So I searched. I started reading about making money online, affiliate marketing, incentive marketing, PPC, Amazon, eBay, blogging, etc. I worked as a car salesman, 7-eleven clerk, burger flipper, cashier, sandwich delivery guy, electric supply stocker, box truck driver, correctional officer, construction assistant superintendent.. a LOT of jobs that didn't require college.

I did these jobs partly to earn a living... but also to EXPERIENCE. To try things out.. and I always googled and read about things that interested me.. and eventually when I quit being a cheap a$$, I started buying books about what I was interested in.. I now have a library probably the equivalent to many slowlaners dvd/blu-ray collections. So I read Rich Dad Poor Dad.. that was the beginning of my new life.. just 3.5 years ago. Through all this experience, I found that I like sales, and negotiating, finding good deals.. I did this to find inventory for eBay and flea market selling. Then I made profit on a car.. lightbulb came on.. I started flipping cars.. then I thought.. what can I flip that's even bigger profit than cars? I'm already making HUNDREDS.. what if I could make THOUSANDS?! then.. houses came along..

So.. the point is.. it took a long time.. a lot of experiences, a lot of conversations, a lot of failure, to discover what I enjoy.. what I like doing that can still provide value in the marketplace. So ask yourself.. what interests you? Now how can you make money from it? If you like it, there's a good chance other people do too.. can you sell a related product? Can you teach people about it? Or can you provide a related service?
See what I did there? You need to provide a (Physical Product, Information product, or service)

Once you learn what your "one thing" is... you can focus on it, master it, get your 10,000 hours in.. focus on your strengths and outsource your weaknesses.. then scale and grow.. once you find it.. don't chase shiny objects.. even when it sucks and feels slow.. because every detour just delays your success that much more. Solve one problem a time, do what you know you need to do.. learn all you can, ask questions, but above all, take daily action towards where you want to be.. and eventually you'll get there.. many millionaires have told me.. it sucks to get started.. but after 7 years.. 10 years.. 12 years.. you start to see the top of the hill, and you wake up one morning and you're making $40,000+ per month..

You can work towards your dreams or someone else's.. 12 years is gonna pass either way. Hope this helped man.

Wow. Loved this.

My takeaways:
  • Do lots of things. Gain experience.
  • You don't NEED a college degree.
  • Start doing things that interest you.
  • Discover what you enjoy, that also provides value to the marketplace.
  • Once you find your one thing, focus and put in your 10,000 hours. Don't get distracted by shiny objects.
  • Focus on your strengths. Outsource your weaknesses.
  • Solve one problem at a time.
  • Take daily action towards where you want to be.
  • Scale and grow.
  • It's not a 6 month journey.
  • 12 years is going to pass anyway... will you use it to build your dreams or someone elses?

You should post more @Jakawan

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Quite the opposite. There's plenty of room. The difference isn't between Jeff Bezos & McDonalds.

The difference is between entrepreneurship and doing something else.

Use the model that brings what you want in life. Anything else is useless and a waste of your time.

Megatron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 17, 2015
Sioux Falls

I understand getting started is difficult,I just gotta take your advice and find myself and figure out what interests me.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
I understand getting started is difficult,I just gotta take your advice and find myself and figure out what interests me.

cheshire.jpg

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Imagine you didn't have to work to get paid. What would you do?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

^^^ Exactly. Pick a direction you like the look of, and just go.

Here's what I posted in a thread I linked to above:

To focus we need to eliminate.

But eliminate what?

In the past 12 months, doing MORE things helped me find out what NOT to do.

Each "failure" provided feedback on what NOT to do.

Failure shows me the way by showing me what's NOT the way.

I've heard we should focus before we diversify.

I've also heard that to become successful we have to learn to say "Yes", and to stay successful we have to learn to say "No".

For those who haven't yet found what to focus on, maybe diversify first, and THEN eliminate and focus?

Personally, I've found the animation in this Dan Sullivan video very helpful in visualising this process.

Eliminate through the "Not this, not this, not this" steps.

Then what remains is "THIS".

"THIS" is what you then focus on.

It seems like a navel gazing exercise - think about all the things you've done, and eliminate what is not your purpose/why/focus, and eventually you will be left with your focus.

However, the key is to "think of all the things you've done".

If you haven't done anything, then you have no feedback, you have nothing to think about.

So just take action first, even if it's in the wrong direction.

You don't know it's the wrong direction until you're moving.

"Failures" are just feedback.

"Failures" will show you the way by showing you what's NOT the way.

What's your thoughts?

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Megatron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 17, 2015
Sioux Falls
Imagine you didn't have to work to get paid. What would you do?
I would not worry about losing my job or going to school just to be in debt and enjoy my life at a young age without worrying about my earnings

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.