The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me with my selling skills

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
My mom asked me to sell her tv, and some furnitures that she wanted to get out of the house.
I usually have no problem for selling my own shit. But this time i always lost my rational mind skills.
Someone come at her house for the tv, the price was 160.He told me the tv wasn't in perfect condition, and he thinks the size was bigger, and he did 75 kilometers to come..
Emotional mind : ok then how much do you want for it? He used an other tv he bought for 120, and told me 130.

I'd let him at 130.

I know i'm so dumb, and I know this is absolutely my fault, but does anyone have tips to stay with the same price asked and not bargain ?

Don't know if i'm clear because my english spelling is so bad..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Could it have gone: 160, 130, 150, 140, 145, handshake?

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
When you make a post state the price is FIRM. like

$160 FIRM
Serious inquires only.

This way they come, they take it and leave. They know you mean no bullshit. Remember, thats balls in your court when they show up. You're not wasting time by saying no, they are the ones who drive out of their way to meet you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When you make a post state the price is FIRM. like

$160 FIRM
Serious inquires only.

This way they come, they take it and leave. They know you mean no bullshit. Remember, thats balls in your court when they show up. You're not wasting time by saying no, they are the ones who drive out of their way to meet you.
Exactly. He drove 75km to go home empty handed?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Read Never Split The Difference, that will help you win in future negotiations. As an exercise you could do now imagine what could you have done differently to get the same price you stated for the TV?

Example:

1. I will tell you what, you can pay me in 2 payments, sounds fair enough? (you want to maintain the price although you are open for alternative ways of payment)

2. This TV cost us a lot of money and it was part of my childhood memories, how about 160? ( want to lower the price but not that much).

3. I have other people interested in this TV and the price is not negotiable, either you take it now or its gone. ( You want to maintain the price and make him feel he needs to do the purchase now)

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
First of all thank to all of you for your tips. @ZCP I looked in BATNA and it's look awesome, so excited to try this.
If I have to be totally honest, i would say the sale wasn't in the perfect place nor the perfect time, but that's not an excuse.
Also, I didn't trust in the product, like to convince the buyer.

I took a spreadsheet five minutes ago and writed and simple action step that I should execute whenever I try to sell something, a high ticket item or a 2$ item.
1/ Clean perfectly the item
2/ Present in my best shape (Just finished the gym when i met the tv buyer
3/Believe in the product
4/Increase my value whenever the buyer try to negociate

I'm gonna practice this a lot, because I always sell high ticket items (15k min) in my job, so we have a lot of meetings before the buyer signs an act.
But I feel like sales is the most valuable skill i could learn.

My plan of action will be : Sell what I think 'oh it's only 5$ I should keep it".
Shook a lot of hands and improve by practicing everyday. I don't do this for the money, i just do this for the skill.
Anyway. Thank you guys.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You're letting evil people control you through your emotions.

What you need to understand is that the guy who came for the TV made up a story to see if he could guilt you out of some money.

The best way to avoid being controlled this way is to realize that, even though you would not do this to someone intentionally, lots of other people have no ethical or moral concerns about lying and attacking your emotions to get what they want. Even for $10. If you think the TV episode was bad, buy a used car from someone.

This is the kind of thing that happens to inherently nice people, and you have to train yourself to be tougher against these kinds of attacks. Jerks can see you coming a mile away, so you need to be able to identify them too.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My mom asked me to sell her tv, and some furnitures that she wanted to get out of the house.
I usually have no problem for selling my own shit. But this time i always lost my rational mind skills.
Someone come at her house for the tv, the price was 160.He told me the tv wasn't in perfect condition, and he thinks the size was bigger, and he did 75 kilometers to come..
Emotional mind : ok then how much do you want for it? He used an other tv he bought for 120, and told me 130.

I'd let him at 130.

I know i'm so dumb, and I know this is absolutely my fault, but does anyone have tips to stay with the same price asked and not bargain ?

Don't know if i'm clear because my english spelling is so bad..

"It's not perfect"

"Did you think we were a TV store? It's used. And it works fine"

"I thought the size was bigger"

"That's what she said. And that's your fault. The ad was correct".

"I drove 75 km"

"And it would be a waste to drive all the way back empty handed. 160 please"

Just be right. That's my favorite sales tactic. Tell the other person their objections are wrong and that it is right to buy the product at the suggested price.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I normally use the "I don't really need to sell it anyways" attitude when I don't want to drop the price and just tell them it's ok if they aren't interested as I don't mind keeping it. Also the "I have another person lined up to come buy it if you pass at full price" will normally work as well or bring them up to almost asking price.
The bigger problem is 99% of people buying stuff used online on sites like offerup, craigslist, letgo, etc all want to haggle and get it even cheaper so you have to price it aggressive enough to get interest but also high enough that you can come down a bit when they try to beat you up and feel like they got a better deal. If you don't want to haggle I wouldn't post anything to those sites even with "Firm on price" listed as they don't read that or care.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
3 days since no update and you guys might think I let things fall appart héhé

So, sold : 1 light for 10 €, furniture for 40 € and video games oldies for 50€
Here are the things I put my attention on during the sale:
First. My grooming and clothing. Maybe you think it's stupid,and you might be right. But I prefer when sales go in good way. I shaved my entire face and wear a proper tshirt.
Then: smile. Holy shit, something I trully underestimate: i reread some bookmarks of the book "how to win friends and influence people" and the "smile" things is a golden nuggets.
I try to genuinely smile to every stranger I meet, and also in the sales process, I smiled and been genuinely interested in other peoples need.
Surprisely : No negotiation for these products, they were already sold.

I think the interesting point is in my "job" in rap industry, I work with basically... rappers. So you know, not to stigmate or something like that, but they have basically no regards about smiling or grooming or dressing properly a side walk mentality.
I signed a 150k deal with a guy in yellow balenciaga tshirt and me in flip flop.
They really don't care as long as they have the money and they gonna spend it on the next toy.

I listed up 4 other things of my father on the french equivalent of craiglist. I really need to crush the sales games, also i like all the relationship based on the sale, i feel so grateful.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Be nicer to yourself

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Yeah that’s a truth. I’m not dumb in all area of my life and i don’t consider myself dumb either. This is Just a state ment, for example if i have to play piano i know i will be so bad because i have no expérience, it’s an objective statement.

I don’t like the lying process of our century, if you lose at something guess what you lost. No fairy tale, no it’s other fault, no it’s just a game.
Here it’s the case for my sales Experience, it’s a loss because i couldn’t negotiate, and the first thing i need to do is, recognize the problem, then fix it.

So no problem mate, im so much nicer than i was in the past. Actually i’m grateful to be dumb at sales so i can improve my skills !

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
:thumbsup:

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
UPDATE and big update .. Almost 1 month ago. Read : never split the difference... GOLD. And better than that. Practice. I selled something 4 times a week that was my goal. Anything, just to train and because I love the process. Guess what ? I'm feeling so confident when selling. And i'm the one above always. Never split the difference :)hilarious:) since my last post. I'm also focusing more about the other people. I'm giving them my best. Learned to take better pictures and to deal with the flaws; learned to communicate with the buyer and ask open ended question (gold method too).

I'm feeling so proud and wanna thank all people who gave me advice. I know it's nothing, and i'm willing to train this again and again. But it's like a skill i can pretend to know now, so yeah, it's great.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
You say OK $150 and put your hand out for a shake...every human knows on the way there it's going to be a negotiation. Or a easy laydown. He came that far is leverage. You say it like you just did him a favor. :) Hey you came pretty far OK $150 you got me. And maybe throw in that plant over there just as a extra extra.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.