The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[HELP] Have a great idea but don't have the skills to pull it off

Idea threads

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Hey guys,

I have an idea for a website that I'm planning. It's going to be in the food/recipe niche, kinda similar to websites like Allrecipes and Epicurious but obviously not as big. It's a unique take on recipe sites that literally hasn't been done yet.

I know there's a huge demand for it and that if I pull it off correctly, it has the potential to become a 7-fig business.

I'm f*ckin excited about but I have one problem - I don't really know how to cook.

I know this shouldn't be a barrier for me, and I plan to have users on the site contribute meals as well, but how am I suppose to upload food pics and recipes if I don't even have the basic cooking skills. Am I supposed to just learn? Do sites like Allrecipes have professional chefs working for them?

Thanks

P.S. I might reveal my idea, but right now I'm just paranoid that someone might steal it. But if someone guesses correctly, I'll reveal it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
I think you need to read some of MJ's articles. Read them, then read them a second time. Do some searches on the forum. This type of thread has been done a million times already.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
lol, if I didn't think you were an honest and good person, this thread would be pure comedy.

This part especially: P.S. I might reveal my idea, but right now I'm just paranoid that someone might steal it. But if someone guesses correctly, I'll reveal it.

hobokook, ideas are a dime a dozen, my friend. They're disposable.

Assuming your idea meets the necessary standards, you've got 1% of your journey knocked out. The other 99% is execution.

Good luck.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
okay i know my idea isn't revolutionary, but to my knowledge there is not dedicated site to what I'm planning to do.

Victor Santiago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 21, 2012
Why don't you learn? If your gonna go to that business, you might as well know I little bit about it, don't you think?

Sure, you can ask someone to cook for you, take pictures of someone else's food, or go to a culinary school and ask there to take the pictures you need (or even try to make some kind of partnership, give them a little % of the business and they will let you take the pictures or something like that).

I think it's possible to do it without knowing how to cook, but would be better if you knew.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
If you share your idea you will get better help. Or at least, you'll have a better chance of getting better help.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Is it all your recipes or family recipes? Where did you get the recipes from if you don't cook? Can you use images from similar dishes?

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Okay this is my idea:

- I want to build a recipe site for people who practice intermittent fasting. I'm not sure if you guys know what that is but intermittent fasting or IF for short is simply where you alternate between periods of fasting and eating. For example most people eat breakfast, but with IF, you skip breakfast and get to eat larger portions later on. It's about eating 1-3 bigger meals per day as opposed to the popular "eat 6 meals per day" saying that you may of heard of before.

- So basically the recipe site will be for people who practice IF and want to eat bigger sized meals. I'm talking recipes for 1000-2000 calorie meals in one sitting.

- If you search "intermittent fasting meals" in Google, you'll find a lot of meal examples in forums and some blog posts, but there literally isn't a dedicated site to giving step by step pics and recipes.

- I know there's a huge demand for this and interest in IF is only going to continue to grow over the coming years. I even personally practice IF by eating 2 large meals per day.

- But the problem is that I don't really cook. I buy a lot of my food or my parents cook for me (I'm 20 years old).

- There are really no direct competitors, but other recipe sites like Allrecipes and Epicurous could potentially be threat but they don't even feature big calorie meals.

- For now I plan to monetize it by advertising, possibly a premium membership, and eventually a cookbook with affiliate program.

Would this be available fastlane plan? Any tips, advice, thoughts?

Thanks

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
From what I understand, the business idea is essentially a recipe website for larger portion meals. I haven't searched the Internet for potential competitors, so I'll believe you when you say there aren't many, but wouldn't it be possible for someone to just take a regular recipe from a random website/blog/cookbook somewhere (there are many of them) and simply double, triple, or quadruple the size (and therefore, allowing them to bypass your niche resource)?

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
@Rain,

Yes people could take any recipe an just double or triple the ingredients, but let's face it- most people are very lazy and want to be handed the exact recipe on a silver platter.

People don't want to manipualte existing recipes to create something new. They want the recipe given to them so they don't have to do any extra thinking or work. They want to see pictures of giant delicious meals.

Don't you agree?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
intermittent fasting has literally changed my life.

BUT I don't have any special recipes so I am not seeing where there would be a need for a website as you describe. Perhaps others have special recipes they use but I have not seen those.

Basically I go for 22 hours without eating. Then I eat fertilized chicken eggs, grass fed beef, free range chickens, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables for 2 hours. Then fast again.

I love it, SO much easier than trying to do 6 freaking meals spaced out throughout the day.

I have done full triathlons after not having eaten anything for 16 hours. You really can train your body to do this.

HUGE positive effect of maintaining lower blood glucose levels so you are much less likely to gain fat, and actually lose fat.

Life extension etc.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
that is interesting as it flies in the face of more frequent smaller meals to keep up metabolism. Will be interested in getting more info about it. I guess you can train your body to know it will be getting calories/nutrients on a longer cycle. Herschel Walker has eaten once a day for his entire life, I think at night. I think the primal type diets are something similar as well(fewer meals).

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well truth be told the more frequent meals do NOT increase your metabolism. That is BS which was spread by the companies who make meal replacements and protein bars.

I was a slave to them for years and years never knowing what a crock they were. Personally for me IM is so much easier as I don't have to prepare and carry meals when you go away from home for the day.

There is no legitimate science behind it.

IM has a ton of real science and no products are sold so there is no motivation to lie about what is reality. I have seen it myself by taking fasted and non fasted blood glucose readings.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Hmmmmmm..... Interesting. I have to look into this. Never heard of it before and I'm a health freak. I eat about 6-8 times a day, but mostly because I'm always hungry and I hate the bloated feeling after eating large meals. I figure I'm always hungry too because I am so active and burn a ton of calories. Usually starving after I do long runs or high intensity workouts. I couldn't imagine eating once or twice a day. I would definitely give it a shot if I like what I see when I read up on it.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
That's why I say there's market for this. The majority of people are pushing recipes for small low calorie meals, but there are practically no recipe websites dedicated to recipes for large big calorie meals.

D

Deleted5250X

Aren't most recipes on the internet meant to feed multiple people? Couldn't you just eat more.

I'll admit I did try Intermittent Fasting and lasted about a week, I just couldn't seem to put down enough healthy food in the time frame allotted.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Aren't most recipes on the internet meant to feed multiple people? Couldn't you just eat more.

I'll admit I did try Intermittent Fasting and lasted about a week, I just couldn't seem to put down enough healthy food in the time frame allotted.

Yes but that's not the point. People who do intermittent fasting don't want to go to random recipe sites to search for a family meal recipes.

They want to go to somewhere that's dedicated to providing recipes exclusively for their lifestyle, which is based around eating big meals.

Don't you agree?

D

Deleted5250X

Yes but that's not the point. People who do intermittent fasting don't want to go to random recipe sites to search for a family meal recipes.

They want to go to somewhere that's dedicated to providing recipes exclusively for their lifestyle, which is based around eating big meals.

Don't you agree?

Like I said, I couldn't last, I just couldn't seem to find enough meals I liked to put down enough calories in those 2 hours.

Just to play the devil's advocate: People who look for recipes and like to cook usually like to eat also, since intermittent fasters only eat for 2 hours everyday, or every so often, doesn't that mean they don't like to eat so they won't need recipes. What do most intermittent fasters eat? Pasta seems like a good way to pick up calories, or steaks?

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
There are many forms of intermittent fasting, and I know it doesn't work for a lot of people, but there are also a ton of people who love it.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
Eating 6-8 times a day is nonsense. There are several MMA fighters who eat one meal for the day. I do agree that it is a better way to eat, but as of right now, everyone is in the eat often to increase metabolism state of mind. The health sector is increasing but most of it is being led by health industries who don't support intermittent fasting. Life style and basic human habits tend to keep us at the breakfast, lunch and dinner phase. That's why we have those terms.

My question would be, is there really a niche market for this? Or are you going to have to create it?

My best guess would be to go head on into the health forums :) CHARGE and good luck!

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Eating 6-8 times a day is nonsense. There are several MMA fighters who eat one meal for the day. I do agree that it is a better way to eat, but as of right now, everyone is in the eat often to increase metabolism state of mind. The health sector is increasing but most of it is being led by health industries who don't support intermittent fasting. Life style and basic human habits tend to keep us at the breakfast, lunch and dinner phase. That's why we have those terms.

My question would be, is there really a niche market for this? Or are you going to have to create it?

My best guess would be to go head on into the health forums :) CHARGE and good luck!

There is definitely a niche for intermittent fasting recipes and meals (or at least I strongly believe there is). I have a personal fitness blog on my own (at fitmole.net) and I actively participate in the fitness community that practices intermittent fasting and one of the most talked about things is "share your meals" type of content. People always share their meals with pics and whatnot, but there's no dedicated website to providing recipes and meals for people who do IF.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
@Rain,

Yes people could take any recipe an just double or triple the ingredients, but let's face it- most people are very lazy and want to be handed the exact recipe on a silver platter.

People don't want to manipualte existing recipes to create something new. They want the recipe given to them so they don't have to do any extra thinking or work. They want to see pictures of giant delicious meals.

Don't you agree?

I'm not against your idea--I was just pointing out a loophole that would concern me.

If you think you have something going on, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
I'm not against your idea--I was just pointing out a loophole that would concern me.

If you think you have something going on, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

No worries man, appreciate the advice.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
The problem w/ the idea is that there is no need for it.
Its not like people that eat that way are eating food that is entirely different...its just larger portions.
Add to the fact that the majority of the crowd doing this are men...men dont give a shit...end up eating the same thing everyday.
or
watch youtube channels such as this
leanbodylifestyle - YouTube
[video=youtube;ssi7ms11X8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssi7ms11X8E&list=UUHMHowKsEJI9N2ulejB71jg&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

I know the crossfit crowd have exploded in numbers...but the health biz is HUGE...and the people you would be going after have plenty of "gurus" to follow (I know this because I pay attention to some).

I never want to tell someone not to do something...but I think it would be hard to pull off if you arent really into health and cooking. It will show.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Like I said, I couldn't last, I just couldn't seem to find enough meals I liked to put down enough calories in those 2 hours.

Just to play the devil's advocate: People who look for recipes and like to cook usually like to eat also, since intermittent fasters only eat for 2 hours everyday, or every so often, doesn't that mean they don't like to eat so they won't need recipes. What do most intermittent fasters eat? Pasta seems like a good way to pick up calories, or steaks?

That is because that is not how you do IM.

You first start by delaying your usual meal by just and hour. It can take 6 months to slowly work your way to eating just a couple hours a day.

Doing it the way you did it is just asking to fail.

You asked what IMers eat.

I eat same as many healthy people do. Veggies, fruit, fish, chicken, eggs, and meat.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
If you do start this site, which I think is a good idea, I would have a front page that explains exactly what IM is, and you could even sell a book that explains it in detail on your site. I bet that would generate profits. I think this is a great niche website, and you might not make 1million dollars, but you could profit substantially if done right.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
One question I have about intermittent fasting is - How do you not eat anything before an intense workout or a long run? Where do you get your fuel from? I couldn't imagine working out an a completely empty stomach. It has to have an effect on you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My opinion....

Niche-enough. Good.

Problem: You don't know how to cook.

Possible solution: Pay somebody that knows, to create the first 4-5 recipes, and have them include pictures.

I am sure you can find people to do this for you at sites like fiverr.com for a relatively low price.

Get started with these five recipes.

And then allow user-submitted contributions, and promise to send them a $25 gift card if these users submit great recipes with at least 5 pics.

That should get the ball rolling.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!