The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have you used any Stacking the Bricks courses from Amy Hoy?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Amy's pretty well known in the internet online marketing / courses area. Prolific writer. I really haven't found any areas to disagree and have a specific interest in her market research strategies for launching new products. Aside from much less pricey materials, the flagship 30 x 500 course is offered roughly twice a year. Not coaching, just DIY material.

If you've purchased any of her stuff, I'm interested in hearing how it worked out for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Quickly opened a link to see what it’s all about.

30x500 - a course teaching you how to do market research and find ideas.

Has anyone here taken it, is it worth it?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve not taken any of her courses but did pick up a great line from her years ago:

“Help the people in motion.”
(Amy Hoy)

What are you guys trying to learn/achieve?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Amy's pretty well known in the internet online marketing / courses area. Prolific writer. I really haven't found any areas to disagree and have a specific interest in her market research strategies for launching new products. Aside from much less pricey materials, the flagship 30 x 500 course is offered roughly twice a year. Not coaching, just DIY material.

If you've purchased any of her stuff, I'm interested in hearing how it worked out for you.

I've watched her lecture (freely available on youtube) that shows her process for how to find ideas. Pretty good. Her approach was to observe online communities, create lists of what they talk about => link these topics to potential recurring problems people keep mentioning. Then solve these specific problems, and you already know your audience because you started with that.

This is much better than starting off with a problem because you might choose a problem nobody cares about. Its also has advantages over customer interview. If you ask someone "would you use a product that does ___ " you get a biased answer. Ideally, you want your customers to be looking in advance for solutions to a problem.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
I’ve not taken any of her courses but did pick up a great line from her years ago:

“Help the people in motion.”
(Amy Hoy)

What are you guys trying to learn/achieve?
Narrowing down product ideas.

I believe her approach is agnostic with regards to market research. It sounds like you analyze internet chatter in groups, forums, blogs, tweets, etc. followed by some magical spell to identify problem(s) and solution(s). Followed by the usual new product launch stuff.

The intriguing part is a minimum of domain knowledge is required. I'm fascinated by the idea of using internet crowd sourced research to identify a product that will likely sell and selling it a market that I barely know. It seems more direct than landing page + traffic + signups process that I'm familiar with for testing product ideas.

That's 100% my interpretation from a couple of course videos and might be completely off base.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

You might want to verify she is still actively teaching the course, I think she was side-lined with some illness for the last 1-2 years.

Alexhillman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 23, 2022
Philadelphia
You might want to verify she is still actively teaching the course, I think she was side-lined with some illness for the last 1-2 year
Howdy friends! I'm Amy's business partner.

You're right that Amy has been dealing with her health for a while, and both she and I appreciate the concern. @Chris Sciora already knows this b/c we've emailed, but I just wanted to confirm that we're still running our classes! Though more people know Amy by name, she and I have been teaching and co-authoring together since 2009 (and both run our own businesses separate from StB/30x500).

The good news is that Amy's health has been trending in the right direction recently, enough that we've been working on new material and lessons together. It's so great to have my partner back!

Andy, I love that how to use forums and facebook groups thread in particular. You totally hit the nail on the head about the problems with thinking through the lenses of "content marketing" and lead generation but instead, helping one person as deeply as possible in a way that has the potential to help others.

I personally like the framing of "audience building is really just building trust at scale" for exactly this reason. Lots of overlap in our core philosophy and approach. Looking forward to digging into more of the things you've shared along these lines.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
I'm both mightily impressed and slightly terrified of your superpower in just finding this thread.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black Is this link behind a paywall or otherwise hidden?
Hmm. No. Let me link to it again:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Haha nothing sneaky just a few keyword alerts that help us know when we're popping up in discussions!
That’s smart. Welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear Amy’s health is trending in the right direction. I’ve quoted (and attributed) her “Help the people in motion.” advice many times inside and outside the forum.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, I love that how to use forums and facebook groups thread in particular. You totally hit the nail on the head about the problems with thinking through the lenses of "content marketing" and lead generation but instead, helping one person as deeply as possible in a way that has the potential to help others.
Thanks Alex.

Marketers do indeed ruin everything. They come up with little phrases and ways of thinking that screw people up… like “content marketing”, calling people “traffic” or “clicks”, and thinking landing pages convert.

I swear business is as simple as: help people, get paid, help more people.

And instead of “content marketing” we could:
  1. Help people.
  2. Be seen helping people.
  3. Be seen by community owners helping their people.

A related thread:

Alexhillman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 23, 2022
Philadelphia
Thanks Alex.

Marketers do indeed ruin everything. They come up with little phrases and ways of thinking that screw people up… like “content marketing”, calling people “traffic” or “clicks”, and thinking landing pages convert.

I swear business is as simple as: help people, get paid, help more people.

And instead of “content marketing” we could:
  1. Help people.
  2. Be seen helping people.
  3. Be seen by community owners helping their people.

A related thread:
100% agree, and another great reframing re: landing pages. Those mental models seep into everything!

Glad to be here and thanks for the warm welcome. I really enjoyed this convo, looking forward to digging in more.

SinFa

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 22, 2016
London, UK
I've watched her lecture (freely available on youtube) that shows her process for how to find ideas. Pretty good. Her approach was to observe online communities, create lists of what they talk about => link these topics to potential recurring problems people keep mentioning. Then solve these specific problems, and you already know your audience because you started with that.

This is much better than starting off with a problem because you might choose a problem nobody cares about. Its also has advantages over customer interview. If you ask someone "would you use a product that does ___ " you get a biased answer. Ideally, you want your customers to be looking in advance for solutions to a problem.
Hey HK,

Do you have the link to the exact video by any chance? She got a few but can't find one on ideas based on the title alone.

Also, I'm from HK too! :)

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hey HK,

Do you have the link to the exact video by any chance? She got a few but can't find one on ideas based on the title alone.

Its from the 2013 La Conf Paris. The video is called "Sales safari". I found the link but it seems like she deleted her youtube channel. I will link it if I find it, cheers!

Alexhillman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 23, 2022
Philadelphia
Its from the 2013 La Conf Paris. The video is called "Sales safari". I found the link but it seems like she deleted her youtube channel. I will link it if I find it, cheers!
Oh dang, that video wasn't on our channel but you're right it seems to be gone.

I'm looking to see if we have a backup somewhere, I hope we do because that video was very popular!

Alexhillman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 23, 2022
Philadelphia
I had to pull in the big guns (aka a data recovery subreddit) but we found it and put it on our channel!

Thanks again for letting me know the video had gone missing. This process has been improved and adapted a LOT since the talk was recorded almost 10 years ago, but this is the foundation of it all! Enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/67JVkG4dpj4

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hey HK,

I had to pull in the big guns (aka a data recovery subreddit) but we found it and put it on our channel!

Thanks again for letting me know the video had gone missing. This process has been improved and adapted a LOT since the talk was recorded almost 10 years ago, but this is the foundation of it all! Enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/67JVkG4dpj4
Thank you so much! Btw the 30x500 material looks awesome, I got the free ebook from the website. I actually have a membership style site I'm working on right now and I will definitely apply this. I was wondering "how much content should I build" and the guidelines and simple rules make a lot of sense.

Alexhillman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 23, 2022
Philadelphia
Thank you so much! Btw the 30x500 material looks awesome, I got the free ebook from the website. I actually have a membership style site I'm working on right now and I will definitely apply this. I was wondering "how much content should I build" and the guidelines and simple rules make a lot of sense.
Right on!

"How much content should I build" is one of those questions that makes some intuitive sense, but if you stop to think about it...it's kinda like asking "how long should a piece of string be?"

How long does a piece of string need to be, to be too long? Or too short?

Like a piece of string, it's less about "too much" or "too little" but instead, if your content is doing its job.

You can accomplish a lot with a small amount of content, almost as easily as you can create SO much content the extra stuff gets in the way.

So instead of wondering if you've made enough (or even too much), try asking yourself: what is the job of the content you are creating?

Does the reader know that the piece is for them?
Does the reader have a reason to believe you are trustworthy?
Does the reader feel a sense of progress, or momentum?
Does the structure make it easy for them to skim ahead and see where it’s going?
Does the reader leave with a fix for their problem, or a salve for their interest?
Does the reader know what they can do next, if they want more?

Remember that it’s not the length or amount that matters, it’s if the content is doing it's job!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.