• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

*UNSCRIPTED* Have you had your "FTE"? (Or Was it an FTM?!)

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by MJ DeMarco, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. windchaser

windchaser Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $721
    I used to think I have had a FTE but now realize they were just a FTM.

8 months ago I was working in a job I hated with a boss that was making my life miserable and have been wanted to quit for a long time, but was postponing it. Until one day the colleague who was sitting next to me died from a heart attack leaving his wife and kids behind at a very early age ironically one day before going on annual leave. It was not the first heart attack in the department that year but the only fatal one. I was in shock and reflected a lot and decided the moment to quit and start a new life was NOW, not in a couple of months because it was graphic to me: there might not be a tomorrow.
    It was my first real FTE, I quit my 6 figures job, packed my stuff, took a plane and move back to my country.
    Coming back was difficult, I found several difficulties but was determined to stay in the fastlane and I started working on my business until the perfect storm arrived: things got messy with a family issue and I got a very tempting job offer (they came looking for me) and I was weak and accepted.

At the beginning I was happy, and any time I was not at this new job I was working on my business, but they were the summer months that generally have lower activity. The workload increased and I was working many hours plus commuting two per day and the job started draining all my energy aso my fastlane was slowing down, and here comes my second and more real FTE:

Last Friday, completely out of the blue, after always receiving excellent feedback, my boss fired me, apparently, working +12hours per day including weekends and many holidays is not being committed enough. To make things worse they did it two days after I lost a very dear and close family member. But, the funny thing is that I felt liberated, and, for the first time I realized how true is that working for someone else is more risky than starting a business. It hit me, the same way it hit me when my colleague died.

After all, they can repeat 100 times fire burns, until you do not get burnt you don´t truly get it. Using MJ´s metaphore of the prison cell and the sh*t pipe, I panicked and I went back to a different cell, hoping it would be more cozy and with the false perception I was advancing on my fastlane, but in the end, you have to focus and you have to choose.

Life is a bout priorities and if those are clear any choice should be easy to make: I choose the fastlane, I am not going to commit to and sacrifice my health for someone who would not hesitate to replace me at any time for any reason.

2. Chris Franklin

Chris Franklin Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $217
    Love this post! I figured this would be a good way to expand on my FTE beyond my intro thread and really kick off the journey.

My event starts with a very comfortable life. I am married with 2 young children (2yo and 7mo). My wife stays home with the kids by choice. We just spent 50% of our savings account as a down payment on our first home and still have 6 months of salary in the bank. Life. Is. Comfortable.

A week before I had to travel to a conference for work, my wife, experiencing discomfort while breastfeeding for several days, went to the doctor to get it checked out. When examining her they found a lump that upon further investigation seemed to be a fibroadenoma (i.e. a benign growth), which she had previously had. To be safe they did a needle biopsy and sent her home.

Flash forward a week and a half. I am walking the show floor in Vegas and my phone starts going crazy. I look and see it is my wife. She has sent me close to a dozen text messages in 60 seconds. It wasn't benign.

It was a highly aggressive form of cancer. A genetic form that had actually killed her Aunt 15 years before, and her Grandmother 25 years before. Not only that, it was already spreading. We had a hell of a fight before us.

It is now 2 years later, and I am happy to say the cancer is in remission. If we are lucky, she has 20 more years before it comes back to finish the job. If we aren't... it can be back any day and she will have weeks to months left.

We spent close to $60k out of pocket for treatments. And we had to take out another $30k in personal loans. We are not comfortable anymore. And you know what? I. Am. Glad.

This experience has changed something inside me. I am no longer content to drive 2 hours a day to work. I am no longer happy working for someone else. I need a change. I am hungry. And I have already started my new journey.

I look forward to sharing the journey with you in my Execution thread.

3. GradyS

GradyS Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $207
    Without going into a ton of detail, my FTE (which led me to finding this forum and figuring out what I can do) was when a 30k bonus check was taken away from me because my manager's manager didn't think it was fair. My manager (who approved the process I was doing) said he was sorry and bought me a beer.

They immediately changed the compensation plan so that no one else could do what I did.

I made the company over $1M in profit that year as well...

GuitarManDan likes this.
  4. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,938
    I quit my job to start my own business in November of 2017. My FTE was earlier that year when I was still pretty new at a job at an NYC investment bank that everyone considered a "great" job just because the name of the company and the paycheck.

Something seemed off the whole time I was there, but I was finally able to put my finger on it one afternoon. I unfortunately found out that one of my close family members had passed away (very tragically and he was still in college).

When I went into the calendar system and requested the day off for the funeral/wake, within maybe 1-2 minutes I got a call from the Executive Director for my group.

He knew legally (or that would be an HR issue) he couldn't tell me that I can't take the day off, but he just kept asking me over and over in a very condescending way "... so, you really think that taking a day off during busy season makes sense now?"

When I explained the reason why "yes, I know... but still, do you really think this is a good idea?"

Something clicked after that where I just knew I had to get the hell out of this place. Even though it was terrifying, I picked the exact date that I was going to quit my job (after figuring out how much to save up).

What I wasn't expecting... working in such a miserable and stressful environment, even at the age of 26/27 when I worked there, I was amazed how many health issues I'd never had before that came up.

Once I left the job and moved to Scottsdale, after a few months almost every single health problem went away when I took myself out of that toxic environment (the best one being no more insomnia so I didn't feel like I was in a daze 24/7).

It's odd but I was just so angry and pissed off all the time at that old job and that's not like me at all. After a few months of being free it was amazing to feel like my old self again.

Now I've just been grinding on my new business and have the ultimate motivation to make this work because I know what's on the other side.

windchaser likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.