The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have you ever used a freelancing copywriting site?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm trying to save up some cash to pay an editor and illustrator for my book, a lot of people have suggested I try copywriting. I'm browsing a few sites now like Contena and was wondering if anyone on here has used Contena or similar?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Have you looked into Upwork?

Check out @Lex DeVille's threads. He has a free step by step guide to getting started (plus he's a copywriter).

His paid courses are awesome too if you have a few dollars spare to invest.

SarahD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 5, 2021
My advice is that you are looking for a freelancer, who is recommended and who has a good portfolio and a lot of experience

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm trying to save up some cash to pay an editor and illustrator for my book, a lot of people have suggested I try copywriting. I'm browsing a few sites now like Contena and was wondering if anyone on here has used Contena or similar?
Do what @blackbeans is doing. You will probably find better clients faster than on Freelance sites.

Upwork is still a good place to pick up clients though.

This is the kind of stuff you're up against on Upwork..

My advice is that you are looking for a freelancer, who is recommended and who has a good portfolio and a lot of experience

In other words, no competition as long as you pay attention and address what the client needs help with.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Do what @blackbeans is doing. You will probably find better clients faster than on Freelance sites.

Upwork is still a good place to pick up clients though.

This is the kind of stuff you're up against on Upwork..

In other words, no competition as long as you pay attention and address what the client needs help with.
Thanks Lex, I seem to remember you said Upwork was shot. I was hoping for something better, will check out blackbeans. Thanks.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks Lex, I seem to remember you said Upwork was shot. I was hoping for something better, will check out blackbeans. Thanks.

Upwork as a company has a lot of shit practices. But they're still the biggest, baddest freelance platform around. They have loads of money backing them, and they're advertising virtually everywhere. There is absolutely no better freelance platform for getting up and running fast.

BlackBeans posted a for-hire ad here on the forum. This forum is filled with entrepreneurs who are making waves all over the world, so it's a smart bet that getting hired on the Fastlane Forum could lead to lifelong friendships, and potentially valuable partnerships or other mutually beneficial arrangements.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
During one of my obsessive and alcohol-withdrawal years around 5 years ago, I was hell-bent on finding additional income sources to redeem myself to my friends and family. I came across all sorts of business models; dropservicing, drop shipping, POS automation, e-commerce hyperautomation, etc and etc. When I got a little bit addicted to the concept of dropshipping, I read a plethora of guides like this, and in the end, every single one said the exact same thing. Product and Marketing are key.

The need for good content, even with the inclusion of recent AI innovations, is greater than ever–and you won't get high quality for a cheap price. That's like digging in a desert with hopes to strike gold. Sites like Upwork and Fiverr are places where you either grossly underpay someone who will also underperform, or overpay someone for a 'meh' to a semi-competent job. I usually get my hires for writing from Reddit or LinkedIn where it's usually not long-term and just on a per-project basis. Reddit has a lot of terrific writers on r/freelance and r/freelancewriter subreddits. I've personally never tried using the Fastlane forum for hiring but from the looks of it, it also looks like a promising place to try!

DreSon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 16, 2021
During one of my obsessive and alcohol-withdrawal years around 5 years ago, I was hell-bent on finding additional income sources to redeem myself to my friends and family. I came across all sorts of business models; dropservicing, drop shipping, POS automation, e-commerce hyperautomation, etc and etc. When I got a little bit addicted to the concept of dropshipping, I read a plethora of guides like this, and in the end, every single one said the exact same thing. Product and Marketing are key.

The need for good content, even with the inclusion of recent AI innovations, is greater than ever–and you won't get high quality for a cheap price. That's like digging in a desert with hopes to strike gold. Sites like Upwork and Fiverr are places where you either grossly underpay someone who will also underperform, or overpay someone for a 'meh' to a semi-competent job. I usually get my hires for writing from Reddit or LinkedIn where it's usually not long-term and just on a per-project basis. Reddit has a lot of terrific writers on r/freelance and r/freelancewriter subreddits. I've personally never tried using the Fastlane forum for hiring but from the looks of it, it also looks like a promising place to try!

We've been writing and producing jingles/theme music on Fiverr and the first thing I noticed was the commoditization of skills and talent. The prices were undercut to oblivion. I noticed a lot of the profiles were from India/overseas (we're Canadian), and their turnaround times are 2-3 days. We managed to offer a small value skew for our clients that allows us to price our jobs higher than usual and negotiate our contracts/decide on a budget that works for everyone. We have full time jobs still, so the 2 day turnaround is a challenge sometimes. It is by no means a 'quit our job' gig, but it's been nice having the extra income.

I would like to explore freelance writing as well, but I'd like to try to stay focused on one thing currently.

KingWing26

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 7, 2016
Boston, MA
Hey @Roli, I started as a professional copywriter a few months ago on different sites like Fiverr, UpWork and Freelancer.

I've had 5-star success on all 3.

So, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Shoot me a message if you'd like!

bakhman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 5, 2021
Sites like Upwork and Fiverr are places where you either grossly underpay someone who will also underperform, or overpay someone for a 'meh' to a semi-competent job.
This has been my experience as well, sadly. Even though they have good reviews (which means even the clients have shit taste), and their advertisements or examples they show off look great, the product they actually give you is lackluster by nature - they expect you to just accept it and not bug them for edits.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
This has been my experience as well, sadly. Even though they have good reviews (which means even the clients have shit taste), and their advertisements or examples they show off look great, the product they actually give you is lackluster by nature - they expect you to just accept it and not bug them for edits.
True, but you get what you pay for at least. They are not exactly sites that are brimming with high-quality writers. If you're a medium to large enterprise–cold pitching to renowned writers would be better. I'd even argue that some writers on Medium would be a better bet than those on most saturated/polarized freelancing sites.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd even argue that some writers on Medium would be a better bet than those on most saturated/polarized freelancing sites.
This is a great idea. Maybe find people who already write about a topic and maybe aren’t making any money doing so? Maybe you’ll find someone knowledgeable and passionate about the subject who will be delighted to be a paid writer for you.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
This is a great idea. Maybe find people who already write about a topic and maybe aren’t making any money doing so? Maybe you’ll find someone knowledgeable and passionate about the subject who will be delighted to be a paid writer for you.
Precisely, Medium is like Youtube for writers. A large chunk of them is still not earning money. I've worked with one Medium writer so far and it's been a terrific collaboration. Although we did need to train him up on a few bits of SEO, he was still a powerhouse for content.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.