The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I moved from a sunny climate to a cold one and I have definitely noticed a difference. I've lived in upstate NY for about a year and a half and over the winter it's a battle to stay motivated. I wouldn't call it seasonal depression but I'm noticeably less productive during the colder months and now that it's warmer, I have been doing a bit better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

VIDAA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 6, 2018
Toronto
I live in a cold country and each year suffer for up to 6 months because of the low temperatures, lack of sunlight, short days, and people with permanent scowls on their faces. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave everything I have here and move elsewhere where I wouldn't live with anxiety, frustration, and stress for a half of a year.

To anyone who has moved from a cold, dark or wet climate to a warm, sunny and dry climate - has it made you noticeably happier and greatly improved your quality of life?

If you have family and close friends back in your cold state/country, do the benefits of living in a sunny and warm place still outweigh the cons of missing them and essentially having to build a new life from scratch?

100%. I moved from Canada to UAE and it's 100 times better. When you don't feel good, nothing good happens for you. Staying in a negative state brings no opportunities and life becomes dull.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
100%. I moved from Canada to UAE and it's 100 times better. When you don't feel good, nothing good happens for you. Staying in a negative state brings no opportunities and life becomes dull.

I've been to the UAE and while it's no doubt sunny, climate-wise most of the year it's way too hot to enjoy the outdoors so you're stuck indoors just as much as you are in a cold climate.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I've been to the UAE and while it's no doubt sunny, climate-wise most of the year it's way too hot to enjoy the outdoors so you're stuck indoors just as much as you are in a cold climate.
Perhaps I'm on the outer fringes. We have mild winters and extremely hot summers. I'm outside more hours in the summer than winter.

Yes it's hot but I'm very used to it.

There used to be a running race called the "death race" in the death valley/baker area. Training involved a number of 8-12 mile workouts in 108-110 temps. I loved it for some reason. Novelty I guess.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Perhaps I'm on the outer fringes. We have mild winters and extremely hot summers. I'm outside more hours in the summer than winter.

Yes it's hot but I'm very used to it.

There used to be a running race called the "death race" in the death valley/baker area. Training involved a number of 8-12 mile workouts in 108-110 temps. I loved it for some reason. Novelty I guess.

I can't imagine living in such extreme heat without a large body of water nearby or at least a dense forest.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I can't imagine living in such extreme heat without a large body of water nearby or at least a dense forest.
We have both. Ocean is 2.5 hrs away and mountains with elevation and forests are about 1.5. I spend a lot of time at the beach in my motor home.

It took a couple years to get used to the heat but not an issue for me now.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
We have both. Ocean is 2.5 hrs away and mountains with elevation and forests are about 1.5. I spend a lot of time at the beach in my motor home.

Haha you Americans and your definition of distance. 2.5 hours away is far away, not nearby. 1.5 hours is also a long drive, definitely not for daily or even weekly driving.

For me nearby is a 30 minute drive at most.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Haha you Americans and your definition of distance. 2.5 hours away is far away, not nearby. 1.5 hours is also a long drive, definitely not for daily or even weekly driving.

For me nearby is a 30 minute drive at most.
When I go to these places, it will be for a duration of a few days. :)

KindlyCutTheCrap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 13, 2022
"Just" my girlfriend, friends, and family. A few years ago I lived in a warm and sunny place for over 3 months and decided to go back because loneliness was overpowering. I'm afraid it might happen again, but at the same time each winter is harder and harder for me. It's a tough decision.
I've moved from Australia to Sweden (15yo) to Australia (16) to England (23) to Italy (24) to England (25) to France (28) to Australia (30) to England (48) to Australia (53).

Here's my take:

- If you're used to summer and there's no summer for years on end it can make you miserable unless it's a really great fit culturally.

- Each country has a different culture even if it's the same language and your parents are from the new country (e.g. my parents are English but I was raised in Australia and have lived in England).

- You will have cultural references and word use that differs from the one you're going to. That will exacerbate the sense of not connecting to others and therefore foster loneliness especially if you're prone to feeling an outsider and alienated from others.

- If you choose to relocate, do it for 3 years to give you a good feel for what it's like in the new country and get the hang of things. For each year you're there, you'll probably make 1 friend to keep though the people might change. Eg, Year 1 you might meet 20 people and make friends with Sally. Year 2 you might meet 20 people and have Sally and Dave as friends. Year 3 you might meet 20 people and have Dave, Mustafa and Karolina as friends because you find that Sally isn't really such a good connection or maybe she went back to her own country.

- It takes around 2 years to reintegrate in your own country because you've changed and most people where you came from won't have so it's like being in a new country.

- Ways to make friends are:

--- Join Toastmasters in person. It's a welcoming environment and you'll get info about the local culture and people are open to new ideas and ways of being. Many people will come from another country, too.

--- Join a meditation class to connect with yourself to allow emotions to arise and navigate what arises in the mind. I joined a local Western Buddhist meditation group and it's full of people learning how to be kinder. Not everyone has their stuff together so there will be some tricky people (that's why they're learning meditation).

--- Perhaps consider seeing a psychologist or psychotherapist or counsellor (if you can afford it) to help understand some of the cultural differences and to have a meaningful conversation each week/fortnight. Better in person.

--- Do activities that give a lot of time just hanging out e.g. a guy took up sailing because you hang out on a boat for the whole afternoon, have plenty of time to chat, and you learn about teamwork and conversations. Tennis is another.

--- Do something where you'll touch another person, e.g. dancing, working with animals.

--- Volunteer in a food bank or shelter to give a sense of purpose.

--- Learn an instrument in your spare time. If it's the guitar or ukelele, you'll be more likely to be invited to parties to play songs and create a fun atmosphere when you do meet people.

- Don't make work you're whole life.
- Keep in touch with people back home on a regular basis. The trip I made at 48 to England was made a whole lot easier for the fact the internet, emails, skype existed. When I was 15, it was all by aerogramme. These days, it's wonderful to have regular connections when you're abroad. Make the most of it and that includes any difficult relationships in your current situation, they are much better mediated by cyberspace.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

For me nearby is a 30 minute drive at most

You are right that distance in Europe vs North America is not the same. In Canada 2.5 hours is nothing. :). I consider anything driving distance to be “close”. Either Whistler resort or Seattle - both are nearby.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You are right that distance in Europe vs North America is not the same. In Canada 2.5 hours is nothing. :). I consider anything driving distance to be “close”. Either Whistler resort or Seattle - both are nearby.

"Honey, I'm driving to a nearby store. I'll be back in 12 hours."

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Moving in a different part of France where sun is more present is definitely something i thought about and not yet sure (due to the South having way less Industry activity).

Moving out of France to another sunny country also..

Sunny environment does impact us a lot...the mood & energy mainly, does help a lot for the day to day to keep you going.

Conor Foley

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 5, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
I live in a cold country and each year suffer for up to 6 months because of the low temperatures, lack of sunlight, short days, and people with permanent scowls on their faces. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave everything I have here and move elsewhere where I wouldn't live with anxiety, frustration, and stress for a half of a year.

To anyone who has moved from a cold, dark or wet climate to a warm, sunny and dry climate - has it made you noticeably happier and greatly improved your quality of life?

If you have family and close friends back in your cold state/country, do the benefits of living in a sunny and warm place still outweigh the cons of missing them and essentially having to build a new life from scratch?
For sure, from my experience I can certainly say I'm happier when living in a warmer climate. Probably due to the exposure to vitamin D and higher quality of life associated with warmer climates.

Living in Europe I must say we're blesses with free mobility to move between cold and warm climates so I think as I grow my online business I will look to try living in places such Australia and Portugal.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
For sure, from my experience I can certainly say I'm happier when living in a warmer climate. Probably due to the exposure to vitamin D and higher quality of life associated with warmer climates.

Living in Europe I must say we're blesses with free mobility to move between cold and warm climates so I think as I grow my online business I will look to try living in places such Australia and Portugal.

Portugal yes but I don't see how Australia fits for living in Europe haha.

Also, IMO no country in Europe has a true warm climate. It may be warmer but it's not really warm year round.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
I'm currently based in Ireland. I went there while I was nomading in Portugal. I have some goals here on this beautiful island, like people here and the economy is quite decent but weather kills me here and not sure if I'm gonna make it. It is really hard to focus on something and stay motivated without a sun.
Maybe I'll go back once again to Portugal or Spain, this time permanently. Still your a$$ can freeze there during the winter months, especially in a flat, but there is a difference outside. I guess it might be something like between NY and CA (climate wise, never been there).

One of my goals was to get a citizenship (as a backup) in Ireland but I think I can do it in the same amount of time in Portugal (5 years, in Spain 10 years for me). Ireland is quite strict on how you can get citizenship (I cannot be outside country for more than 3 months in a year, 6 weeks in one run if I'm not mistaken).
Hard to decide, I'm a slow-laner but it's not that hard for me to find remote job.
I love so much very warm climate, I'm an outdoor man and here in West Ireland, it's not easy to find motivation to go outside, even when I have beautiful mountains next door. It rains a lot now and besides quite decent temperature I feel cold all time.

Last edited:

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Look at the cold weather states. Six months out of the year, the people are all assholes.

I'd bet those people are assholes twelve months out of year. Relocate them to the equator and nothing would change.
Cold weather doesn't keep Canada from being uber friendly to the entire world. :innocent: :halo:

Our entire family spent the last four years on extended trips finding the next great place to settle down. Far too many people fall in love with a place after spending a week or two on vacation there, but living somewhere F/T is much different than visiting. There's endless places we liked visiting where I'd never want to live.

Weather plays a part. However, it's really whether the area supports the kind of lifestyle you want to have. Mountain climbing in Kansas is not fun. Sports fishing in Arizona is not fun. Restaurants in South Dakota are not great. You really can't change culture, geography, education, income, schools, demographics and LOTS of other things that people factor into having an enjoyable life. Think about the things you really enjoy doing day to day and make geographic choices that match up.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'm currently based in Ireland. I went there while I was nomading in Portugal. I have some goals here on this beautiful island, like people here and the economy is quite decent but weather kills me here and not sure if I'm gonna make it. It is really hard to focus on something and stay motivated without a sun.
Maybe I'll go back once again to Portugal or Spain, this time permanently. Still your a$$ can freeze there during the winter months, especially in a flat, but there is a difference outside. I guess it might be something like between NY and CA (climate wise, never been there).

One of my goals was to get a citizenship (as a backup) in Ireland but I think I can do it in the same amount of time in Portugal (5 years, in Spain 10 years for me). Ireland is quite strict on how you can get citizenship (I cannot be outside country for more than 3 months in a year, 6 weeks in one run if I'm not mistaken).
Hard to decide, I'm a slow-laner but it's not that hard for me to find remote job.
I love so much very warm climate, I'm an outdoor man and here in West Ireland, it's not easy to find motivation to go outside, even when I have beautiful mountains next door. It rains a lot now and besides quite decent temperature I feel cold all time.

Welcome to Ireland! I'm also based on the west coast in Galway City. It is quite possibly the wettest place in all of Europe. It just never stops raining. I wouldn't mind if it was super cold for a few months and then a lovely summer but nope its just rain rain rain... super depressing. That being said the business environment is very good here and usually the bureaucracy is easy enough to navigate compared to other European nations.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
Welcome to Ireland! I'm also based on the west coast in Galway City. It is quite possibly the wettest place in all of Europe. It just never stops raining. I wouldn't mind if it was super cold for a few months and then a lovely summer but nope its just rain rain rain... super depressing. That being said the business environment is very good here and usually the bureaucracy is easy enough to navigate compared to other European nations.
I’m based in Kerry, now it rains like at least 3 times a day, but I have to admit that summer wasn’t too bad.
And businesses wise, yes, it looks very appealing.
Overall Ireland is very cool place. I really like it a lot. It’s just this rain and lack of sun…
Ah Europe… it’s difficult to pick some good compromise here

Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I moved from Pennsylvania to Florida and I like Florida more (though PA was quite nice).

People are what actually matters. You'd be happier in Alaska with the right people than you would be in Hawaii with the wrong people.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Portugal yes but I don't see how Australia fits for living in Europe haha.

Also, IMO no country in Europe has a true warm climate. It may be warmer but it's not really warm year round.
The Canary Islands are warm all year round. We go there for Christmas or New Year and you may get an odd cloudy day but its still 23-25 degrees.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The Canary Islands are warm all year round. We go there for Christmas or New Year and you may get an odd cloudy day but its still 23-25 degrees.

Definitely not 23-25 degrees on average. On average it's more like 21 degrees and only in horribly touristy southern Tenerife or Gran Canaria. Other areas may be 2-3 degrees colder. Also, it's January and February that are the coldest. The ocean temperature is also below 20 degrees then so it's uncomfortable for swimming without a wetsuit.

I lived there last year between October and December (actually visited all islands). I had been previously twice on Tenerife as well.

I don't consider it warm year round if I have to wear a fleece to walk down the beach in the morning at least three months a year.

I know that standards may be different for you guys from the UK but 21 degrees during the day isn't summer-like weather. Okay, it's warm, but it's not comfortably warm, particularly with temperatures in the morning/at night around 15 degrees. Add to that wind and on the colder days it doesn't feel warm at all.

Is it much better than winter in northern Europe? Of course it is. But I personally dislike the archipelago (outside of the climate) so I don't see it as a huge improvement to move to a place where I still have winters that also isn't a great place to live.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Just moved from Commifornia to Phx, yup, the heat is alright, since I don't mind stay in the AC. The much lowered income tax and the general swing state nature is so much better, I felt like I was definitely living inside a cult before. I was able to keep my tech salary along with a raise by moving here, was able to buy a condo right away.

Really all that high tax and high spend is for government to span up another pet industry, makes the rich not just richer, but also holds more political power. There seems to be more of a real struggle here for the political class to fight for their justifiable power, instead of a one party rule. I like it so much more here.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Yeah 1.5 hrs in Toronto is a morning commute to the office.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

I feel the same and live on the west of Ireland too. Every winter I feel my mood change while summer time I feel great.

6 months of winter is a long a$$ time.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I got two painfully true jokes for my fellow people who hate winter:

polska-paleta-kolorow-polski-same-odcienie-szarosci.jpg

Left is black and white, right is in "color":

314774898_1357599327977424_5533370951486302588_n.png

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
When I’m 85 years old I’m not going to look back on my life and think “Man, I should’ve lived somewhere I would’ve paid less taxes rather than the place I enjoyed most.”

This Alex Hormozi quote has really hit home with me lately although I can still enjoy the Irish tax rate if I start an online business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.