The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! [GUIDE] Facebook Ads Made Simple (That Even Your Mom Can Understand) 2019 Edition

Did you find this thread helpful?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
itfactor

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 18, 2019
In other words, if I have overlapping custom or lookalike audiences in the SAME ad set, overlapping shouldn't matter, right?
That's right. In fact, nowadays the targeting algorithm is pretty smart compared to the early days of FB ads, and does a pretty decent job of sorting things out on its own.

Unless my cost is unusually high, I wouldn't try to sort out any overlapping on my own or I may upset Facebook's optimization.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Boychamp

Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Re: Audience overlap

Worry about audience overlap only matters when you have multiple ad sets using the same audiences correct?

In other words, if I have overlapping custom or lookalike audiences in the SAME ad set, overlapping shouldn't matter, right?
Correct, it won't matter. Audience overlap matters when they're in separate ad sets because then the ads are technically competing against one another in the auction (if the budget is large and or the audience is small).

LiveFree

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 20, 2011
Utah
I'm still confused on how the retargeting works? Is this something that I have to set up or does Facebook do this automatically? I've noticed that when I visit a website I start to see their ads on facebook and instagram. Is this what you are talking about? Do I need a 3rd party to accomplish this? Thanks!

Boychamp

Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I'm still confused on how the retargeting works? Is this something that I have to set up or does Facebook do this automatically? I've noticed that when I visit a website I start to see their ads on facebook and instagram. Is this what you are talking about? Do I need a 3rd party to accomplish this? Thanks!
Basically, to retarget, you have to put something called the "Facebook Pixel" into your website. It's a little snippet of code, provided by Facebook, that tracks users and what they're doing on your website.

To get a Pixel, you have to create what's called a "Business Manager" account. It's really simple, you just go to business.facebook.com and sign up. Then navigate to Pixel, grab the code, and put it into your website (there's a little more nuance in it than that, but that's the basic high level overview. You can Google or YouTube exactly how to do it).

Then from there, once the code is installed, Facebook begins tracking users that visit your website, engage with your social media (albeit that you've connected your Business Instagram account), or take actions on your website. To actually retarget, you do what the OP said. You go into a section of the business manager, navigate to "Audiences" and click "Create Custom Audience". Then, you simply choose your parameters of what you want to retarget (if it's an e-com store, you could do people that view products, add to cart but don't purchase, or whatever else). Once that audience has been created, you can navigate over to your "Ads Manager" and create an add and choose to target that audience within that ad. Boom. You are now retargeting.

I didn't go into a lot of the more nitty gritty details, but I hope that makes sense!

LiveFree

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 20, 2011
Utah
Basically, to retarget, you have to put something called the "Facebook Pixel" into your website. It's a little snippet of code, provided by Facebook, that tracks users and what they're doing on your website.

To get a Pixel, you have to create what's called a "Business Manager" account. It's really simple, you just go to business.facebook.com and sign up. Then navigate to Pixel, grab the code, and put it into your website (there's a little more nuance in it than that, but that's the basic high level overview. You can Google or YouTube exactly how to do it).

Then from there, once the code is installed, Facebook begins tracking users that visit your website, engage with your social media (albeit that you've connected your Business Instagram account), or take actions on your website. To actually retarget, you do what the OP said. You go into a section of the business manager, navigate to "Audiences" and click "Create Custom Audience". Then, you simply choose your parameters of what you want to retarget (if it's an e-com store, you could do people that view products, add to cart but don't purchase, or whatever else). Once that audience has been created, you can navigate over to your "Ads Manager" and create an add and choose to target that audience within that ad. Boom. You are now retargeting.

I didn't go into a lot of the more nitty gritty details, but I hope that makes sense!
Perfect, that makes sense. Thanks for the response!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom