The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing a Youtube Channel as Part of My Personal Brand

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Here’s the latest video of mine that took me about a week to create. I’ve yet to run ads to it (actually, it’s been upversioned a little bit):

View: https://youtu.be/BUVSIyVryA8

If I may butt in -- I definitely wouldn't run traffic to this.

Not because it's not valuable or high quality -- because it IS... but simply because if you think about it... the person who would be attracted to this video would never buy your stuff anyways.

"How do I create a google ads account without a credit card"

Someone who would look for this is a seriously bottom-of-the-barrel type person.

Yes, yes. We are all valuable and I love everybody... but holy shit man -- you're going to struggle to get $5 out of this type of person.

I've seen you've got some skills. Why not attract people who have money who would actually spend money on ads?

A series of ads "Have a $1,000 ad budget? Here's what you should do with it to get the best results."

Then a $5,000... and a $10,000...

And your entire pitch is "Do you want help with that?"

I'm re-launching my business course and not just privately to fastlaners but all over.

I'm going to do a $97 masterclass and the entire class will be "let's build your plan to double your revenue this year" and at the end I'll say "if you want me to help you implement this plan for the next few weeks, sign up here."

Even if you told them EXACTLY what to do with $1,000 or $5,000 or whatever -- you know they aren't going to do it... AND anyone with that budget is going to want to hire it out anyways because they're freaking busy (me too!)

Anyways... advice you didn't ask for but there it is!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
P.S. (and not to detract from our friend here) -- I've recently been through a couple of these courses from a fairly famous traffic team... who deals in funnels... and traffic... their course is $30,000... and it's literally copy and pasted from other expensive courses. On top of that they were so lazy they forgot to even change some of the stuff that had other people's names on it.

They do $2 million per month in sales.

There's more than enough room for people who are outstanding at what they do at any price point... and it's much easier to charge a higher price point to serious business owners.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, this is really well made!!
Thanks. There’ll be a card for the next video to watch at the end. I’ve not created that video yet so nothing is there.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I may butt in -- I definitely wouldn't run traffic to this.

Not because it's not valuable or high quality -- because it IS... but simply because if you think about it... the person who would be attracted to this video would never buy your stuff anyways.

"How do I create a google ads account without a credit card"

Someone who would look for this is a seriously bottom-of-the-barrel type person.

Yes, yes. We are all valuable and I love everybody... but holy shit man -- you're going to struggle to get $5 out of this type of person.

I've seen you've got some skills. Why not attract people who have money who would actually spend money on ads?

A series of ads "Have a $1,000 ad budget? Here's what you should do with it to get the best results."

Then a $5,000... and a $10,000...

And your entire pitch is "Do you want help with that?"

I'm re-launching my business course and not just privately to fastlaners but all over.

I'm going to do a $97 masterclass and the entire class will be "let's build your plan to double your revenue this year" and at the end I'll say "if you want me to help you implement this plan for the next few weeks, sign up here."

Even if you told them EXACTLY what to do with $1,000 or $5,000 or whatever -- you know they aren't going to do it... AND anyone with that budget is going to want to hire it out anyways because they're freaking busy (me too!)

Anyways... advice you didn't ask for but there it is!
Thanks Steve.

I’ll run traffic to it because I’m testing a few things, one being how to create a value-exchange with info-seekers on Google and YouTube.

Also, a lot of people want to know how to use the Google Keyword Planner without having to add billing details or create campaigns. This video addresses that. They’re not necessarily people who don’t have a credit card or don’t want to pay. I figure anyone interested in Google Ads either wants to buy visitors to their website, or get paid to do it for others. Maybe some want to do keyword research for SEO and maybe some of those don’t value their time. I think I can still help them and create a value exchange.

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I don’t want to distract you from your path. I’m going more down the ads route, but some of what I’m learning might help.

This is a great podcast about creating scripts for video ads:

This is someone’s Facebook Live video where her energy, knowledge, content, and desire to help overrides everything else:

View: https://youtu.be/WkFzYct_bFE

Here’s the latest video of mine that took me about a week to create. I’ve yet to run ads to it (actually, it’s been upversioned a little bit):

View: https://youtu.be/BUVSIyVryA8
I actually ran ads to one of my videos... It didn't work out so well, I think my targeting is off. I got a lot of views and no likes, comments, or subs.

I didn't get many options for customising my audience, at least when compared to facebook, although looking more into it, I think I was using a simplified interface?

Nice video!

If I could offer a little bit of feedback, one thing that I kept noticing was how when you start speaking the compressor (I assume it's a compressor at work here) seems to be pulling off too slowly so when you start speaking you voice starts off quiet and then comes up to the right volume.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I actually ran ads to one of my videos... It didn't work out so well, I think my targeting is off. I got a lot of views and no likes, comments, or subs.
How much of the video did people view?

What was the primary goal of your video? To get people to watch to the end and then do what? If they don’t do it via an ad then will they do it if they find the video organically (I ask because I don’t know but suspect they might be similar).

My first test with the video I shared earlier will be to see if it gets people to watch the next video in the sequence (which I’ve not created yet).

I also have a small graphic at the start that tells people “For more tips visit domain.com” so I’ll see if anyone visits the site and signs up from the video.

Bear in mind I’m still figuring this out.

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
How much of the video did people view?

What was the primary goal of your video? To get people to watch to the end and then do what? If they don’t do it via an ad then will they do it if they find the video organically (I ask because I don’t know but suspect they might be similar).

My first test with the video I shared earlier will be to see if it gets people to watch the next video in the sequence (which I’ve not created yet).

I also have a small graphic at the start that tells people “For more tips visit domain.com” so I’ll see if anyone visits the site and signs up from the video.

Bear in mind I’m still figuring this out.
I see, maybe I approached this in the wrong way.

I used a sidebar thumbnail ad to send it to one of my weekly videos to pump traffic to it.

The video itself was not set up to specifically be an ad.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The video itself was not set up to specifically be an ad.
I wonder if all videos should be setup as if they're an ad? i.e. they grab people's attention and/or filter out people who aren't interested, state the problem and what will be solved, give a quick framework to solve it, and have a call to action at the end?

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I wonder if all videos should be setup as if they're an ad? i.e. they grab people's attention and/or filter out people who aren't interested, state the problem and what will be solved, give a quick framework to solve it, and have a call to action at the end?
I do aim to do that with each of my videos hooks - the first 20 seconds or so, although it doesn't have a call to action (except maybe I'm going to tell you X at the end of the video so stick around).

I usually do:
- Ask a question
- Pose a pain point
- Tell them what to expect in video (fixing this pain point)
- Sometimes ask them to stick around to the end for some benefit.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do aim to do that with each of my videos hooks - the first 20 seconds or so, although it doesn't have a call to action (except maybe I'm going to tell you X at the end of the video so stick around).

I usually do:
- Ask a question
- Pose a pain point
- Tell them what to expect in video (fixing this pain point)
- Sometimes ask them to stick around to the end for some benefit.
Did you listen to this? I wonder how much is applicable for videos that aren't ads?

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
A new video - "5 Productivity Mistakes That are Killing Your Side Hustle" (I'm trying to focus in on my niche a bit more) - What do you think?

There's still some unnatural tones in my voice, but I think I'm getting a lot better... I feel comfortable talking to the camera now, it's now a just "turn it on and talk" sort of feeling.

I might try spending a bit of time reading out a script, recording it, watching it, picking out the strange parts and then rerecording it while fixing them.

I tried to show more energy in this video, and I think I did but maybe not enough yet, and maybe it's not the right kind of energy for me... I definitely need to play with this some more.

I also put in more stock broll this time.

I attempted to film some broll in my room, but with the focal length I use and the size of my room, it was pretty difficult to get nice angles and framing, and they all looked the same so it was quite boring. I ended up binning it all.

View: https://youtu.be/MyU1KesUB84

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
A new video - "5 Productivity Mistakes That are Killing Your Side Hustle" (I'm trying to focus in on my niche a bit more) - What do you think?

There's still some unnatural tones in my voice, but I think I'm getting a lot better... I feel comfortable talking to the camera now, it's now a just "turn it on and talk" sort of feeling.

I might try spending a bit of time reading out a script, recording it, watching it, picking out the strange parts and then rerecording it while fixing them.

I tried to show more energy in this video, and I think I did but maybe not enough yet, and maybe it's not the right kind of energy for me... I definitely need to play with this some more.

I also put in more stock broll this time.

I attempted to film some broll in my room, but with the focal length I use and the size of my room, it was pretty difficult to get nice angles and framing, and they all looked the same so it was quite boring. I ended up binning it all.

View: https://youtu.be/MyU1KesUB84

Immediately first 20 seconds 10x better than the previous videos. @ :25 seconds in -- that energy was fantastic. Maybe you felt overboard when recording it but it comes off great on video!

Here's an example of certainty and uncertainty:

@ :45 you have a lot of certainty in your words, your tone, and your posture.

@ :52~ you drop certainty.

Can you tell the difference? It's so subtle. It's so slight. Here's what it is: you dropped your sternum 2mm

@ 2:23 you really start to come into your own and you're much more comfortable

@ 2:52 I couldn't tell if you just stitched the audio together or actually said hoping twice

@4:20 you have a lot more certainty. much more confident. Energy is up

@11:20 I love the pitch. The only thing is your voice got caught in your throat when you said "go sign up"

Dude I hope you see your progress because you've improved a lot in such a short time.

Keep going!

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
@Kung Fu Steve holy moly, thanks for the detailed breakdown!

Immediately first 20 seconds 10x better than the previous videos. @ :25 seconds in -- that energy was fantastic. Maybe you felt overboard when recording it but it comes off great on video!
I'm so glad to hear that!

It did feel a little bit overboard at the time, it's amazing how much video sucks energy from you, haha.

Here's an example of certainty and uncertainty:

@ :45 you have a lot of certainty in your words, your tone, and your posture.

@ :52~ you drop certainty.

Can you tell the difference? It's so subtle. It's so slight. Here's what it is: you dropped your sternum 2mm
That is very subtle - I actually am struggling to see it, but I can maybe feel it a little bit. I'm going to spend some time trying to figure this out.

Do you have any recommended videos or reading on these kinds of micro posture adjustments?

@ 2:52 I couldn't tell if you just stitched the audio together or actually said hoping twice
This was me actually making a mistake while speaking that I decided to leave in there - maybe I should have edited it out...

@11:20 I love the pitch. The only thing is your voice got caught in your throat when you said "go sign up"
Yeah, to be honest, it still feels weird to me telling people to do things like sign up etc. Maybe that popped up or something... I'll have to practice saying it more.

Dude I hope you see your progress because you've improved a lot in such a short time.

Keep going!
I'm really happy that you think so :)

I do notice that I've improved - before I went onto youtube I practiced speaking to the camera a bit on Instagram stories and the difference is... Painfully clear My old videos are incredibly hard to watch haha.

I'll definitely keep on going, lots to improve on, but tweaking small things each time builds up a lot over time :)

My display picture actually says "kaizen" which is a Japanese word which often gets translated to "continuous improvement" in English.

Again thank you for this detailed breakdown, I've gone through to all of those times to try and spot what you are talking about, and I'm going to do it a few more times on top of that.

It's really helpful, I appreciate you!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm familiar!

In the Tony world we call it CANI (Constant and Never-Ending Improvement).

2 millimetres is hard to catch in a person. Try standing straight, putting your finger in the center of your sternum, push it all the way out so you're standing ridiculously straight and "confident" with your chest out... feel that energy and then slowly drop your sternum and try to tell where the energy drops in your body. You'll see what I mean

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Try standing straight, putting your finger in the center of your sternum, push it all the way out so you're standing ridiculously straight and "confident" with your chest out... feel that energy and then slowly drop your sternum and try to tell where the energy drops in your body. You'll see what I mean
I’m guessing that’s where you train to punch folks too Mr Kung Fu?

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
Another week another video!

This week I tried to focus on energy again, this time trying to pay more attention to my posture and keeping my sternum up, although I can't tell if I did it or not

I actually quite like a lot of my performance in this video, but again at the end when asking the audience to do things, I "swallowed" my words a little and I can tell I felt a bit uncomfortable watching it back.

I also tried a new kind of hook, where I did a voice-over over B roll. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I need to fix a few things about it before I make a real decision.

My voice needs more energy, I messed up the audio a little, some of the clips are on screen for too long, some ambient music and sound effects would go a long way I think (just for the hook).

I tried releasing it without posting it anywhere for a bit to see how many viewers I can get straight away... I got 2.

BUT these 2 are from notifications, so I think they are subscribers that every week just go and check out my video when it's released and that makes me happy, haha.

I do think that I need to find new ways to promote my videos, preferably organically.

View: https://youtu.be/_4f753BS8s8

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Another week another video!

This week I tried to focus on energy again, this time trying to pay more attention to my posture and keeping my sternum up, although I can't tell if I did it or not

I actually quite like a lot of my performance in this video, but again at the end when asking the audience to do things, I "swallowed" my words a little and I can tell I felt a bit uncomfortable watching it back.

I also tried a new kind of hook, where I did a voice-over over B roll. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I need to fix a few things about it before I make a real decision.

My voice needs more energy, I messed up the audio a little, some of the clips are on screen for too long, some ambient music and sound effects would go a long way I think (just for the hook).

I tried releasing it without posting it anywhere for a bit to see how many viewers I can get straight away... I got 2.

BUT these 2 are from notifications, so I think they are subscribers that every week just go and check out my video when it's released and that makes me happy, haha.

I do think that I need to find new ways to promote my videos, preferably organically.

View: https://youtu.be/_4f753BS8s8
I have begun growing on instagram and some of that is rolling into my YT channel. IG is all about the visual and the hashtags. I post a 10 sec visual clip on IG with a brief hook comment and link to my YT channel. I use the filters to enhance the images. I am new at it but it seems to work for me, not viral, but it brings a few views with each YT vid.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
You're definitely getting more comfortable!

Out of curiosity what if you taught less per video?

I've noticed the brain works in 1-2-3-many. People tend to get overwhelmed after 3 things and it's TOUGH to keep them engaged as it is, let alone keeping them engaged when they are overloaded.

Does that make sense?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I've noticed the brain works in 1-2-3-many. People tend to get overwhelmed after 3 things and it's TOUGH to keep them engaged as it is, let alone keeping them engaged when they are overloaded.

Does that make sense?
I was wondering if the videos could be shorter. I don’t know if I’m the target market (likely not?). I do know I’d pick the shortest video to explain something. (Bear in mind I’ve not watched any video start to finish @Prodox.)

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I have begun growing on instagram and some of that is rolling into my YT channel. IG is all about the visual and the hashtags. I post a 10 sec visual clip on IG with a brief hook comment and link to my YT channel. I use the filters to enhance the images. I am new at it but it seems to work for me, not viral, but it brings a few views with each YT vid.
Yes I've been putting a fair amount of effort into Instagram as well, although not much of it rolls into my YT channel I don't think. Although at the moment my link in bio is not set to youtube, so that could be why.

I also post clips of my videos over there - I expect this will become more effective as I grow :)

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo

Does that make sense?
Less per video... I hadn't really thought about that.

I sort of just plan what I want to say in the video and it ends up being around the 10 min mark.

OK, as an experiment this week's video will have 3 points rather than 5, this will probably put it below the 8-minute mark...

Yes, your reasoning makes perfect sense- there are actually a few studies I've read that conclude that groups of 3 work well for people for whatever reason - let's give it a go :)

Will report back on engagement and watch duration.

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I was wondering if the videos could be shorter. I don’t know if I’m the target market (likely not?). I do know I’d pick the shortest video to explain something. (Bear in mind I’ve not watched any video start to finish @Prodox.)
Yeah that actually makes sense - I would often choose the shortest video too. Let's give this ago!

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
OK - this time I kept the video to just 3 points reducing the time to sub 8 minutes.

I'll be watching how the shorter video affects my click-through rate, which is what I assume it will have the biggest affect on.

View: https://youtu.be/94bKPlz8_UY

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
OK - this time I kept the video to just 3 points reducing the time to sub 8 minutes.

I'll be watching how the shorter video affects my click-through rate, which is what I assume it will have the biggest affect on.

View: https://youtu.be/94bKPlz8_UY

I'll have to come back but dude, you're getting too good on camera.... why have an entire minute of B-roll before we see your face? You could literally just cut that first whole minute and jump on the screen "here's thing number 1!"

Energy is definitely getting better.. keep gong!!!

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
I'll have to come back but dude, you're getting too good on camera.... why have an entire minute of B-roll before we see your face? You could literally just cut that first whole minute and jump on the screen "here's thing number 1!"

Energy is definitely getting better.. keep gong!!!
I thought the b-roll would hook people more in the first part - I've tried this my last two videos and I'll take a look at the results once this one gets a few more views. But the fact that you'd rather see my face is a nice compliment, I'll take it ;)

That would be an interesting experiment though, completely reducing the first part to one or two lines, maybe nothing.

"For people running businesses on the side of their 9-5, being able to work from home efficiently is VITAL. So, let's get right in with the number one distraction in the home..."

Or something.

I do feel a lot better on camera now, and it makes me cringe less when I watch it back, which is a good thing. I'm glad that's coming across to other people too!

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo

Prodox

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 1, 2020
Tokyo
So I think I need to kick myself into gear and find a way to promote my videos that works.

Youtube isn't showing my videos to anyone, so I have to do it by myself until the algorithm catches on.

This week's video has been released for 4 days and has a grand total of 2 views, haha.

I'm not chasing views or anything, but if my videos just don't get shown to anyone, and won't be because youtube doesn't know what kind of audience to show my videos to, things aren't going to go anywhere.

I've spent a lot of time up until now working out the technicals of making videos and my camera presence, and I still will, but I need to spend some time on marketing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fA77RIiXcU

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hey @Prodox

Cool to see you lay out your Youtube journey. I can certainly tell that you are working on your channel with much dedication.

I'm very interested in seeing how you'll start marketing your channel and getting it to grow.

Have you looked at Facebook groups by any chance? I am uncertain about their effectiveness for gathering YouTube views, but perhaps it is worth a try.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.