The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Government contracts

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
How's it going guys, has anyone here had any part of the government as clientele? I'm curious how did you guys get that done? Was the process done exactly like the usual marketing and sales techniques to get small businesses as customers or did you use a different approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
How's it going guys, has anyone here had any part of the government as clientele? I'm curious how did you guys get that done? Was the process done exactly like the usual marketing and sales techniques to get small businesses as customers or did you use a different approach?

Anyone on this topic? I am also looking similar information. Appreciate any inputs.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
It depends on which government you're talking to and what services/goods you'd provide. If it's a big job they'll usually post what they want publicly and ask for bids. Other times it might be a city council member that brings up your goods/service in a meeting and it's voted on. Sometimes they'll require that you have a project labor agreement before they'll do business with you.

So I guess you'd talk/market to those who would vote on whatever you're providing or go to a meeting if allowed.

Last edited:

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
It depends on which government you're talking to and what services/goods you'd provide. If it's a big job they'll usually post what they want publicly and ask for bids. Other times it might be a city council member that brings up your goods/service in a meeting and it's voted on. Sometimes they'll require that you have a project labor agreement before they'll do business with you.

So I guess you'd talk/market to those who would vote on whatever you're providing or go to a meeting if allowed.
Consulting services for Federal Govt. ? How do you get GSA scheule, how do you get your company registered as women owned etc.? Any tips?

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Consulting services for Federal Govt. ? How do you get GSA scheule, how do you get your company registered as women owned etc.? Any tips?

Eligibility Requirements
To qualify as a women-owned small business (WOSB), a business must meet the following requirements identified in 13 CFR 127.200, 201, and 202:

• Meet the small business size standard for the primary NAICS code and contract
  • Be at least 51% unconditionally and directly owned by women who are U.S. citizens
  • Women must manage the day-to-day operations
  • Women must make the long-term decisions for the business
  • A woman must the hold highest officer position in the business
  • This woman must work at the business full-time during normal working hours.
  • No minimum amount of time for the business to be operational

What You Need To Know if You Are a Women Owned Small Business | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

8(a) Requirements Overview
Generally, to be approved into the 8(a) Business Development program and become certified the business must meet these eligibility requirements:

• The business must be majority-owned (51 percent or more) by an individual(s).
  • The individual(s) must be an American citizen, by birth or naturalization.
  • The business must be majority-owned (51 percent or more) and controlled/managed by socially and economically disadvantaged individual(s).
  • The individual(s) controlling and managing the firm on a full-time basis must meet the SBA requirement for disadvantage, by proving both social disadvantage and economic disadvantage.
  • The business must be a small business.
  • The business must demonstrate potential for success.
  • The principals must show good character.
  • Separate eligibility requirements exist for a business that is owned by American Indians, Native Alaskans, Native Hawaiians or Certified Development Companies.

For purposes of the 8(a) Business Development program, the following individuals are presumed socially disadvantaged (called “presumed groups”):

• Black Americans
  • Hispanic Americans
  • Native Americans
  • Asian Pacific Americans
  • Subcontinent Asian American

8(a) Requirements Overview | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

Just great. Now a business might not get a contract/job because the government is discriminating on the basis of gender and race.

I found also something very interesting:

The System for Award Management (SAM) is an official website of the U.S. government.
There is no cost to use SAM. You can use this site for FREE to:
  • Register to do business with the U.S. government
  • Update or renew your entity registration
  • Check status of an entity registration
  • Search for entity registration and exclusion records

System for Award Management

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Thanks for giving this thread some input.

Did you get all that info from sba.gov

It's pretty interesting when thinking about trying to sell to the government. So what's the process if they reject your project can you try again?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.