The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

RANT Google search has now slowed me down!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
I look up terminology every day. Have you noticed what happened with Google this week?

The searches now fill each result with (on the first line) a brand icon, the source URL, followed by the URL's keyterms or interior pages, and then an arrow dropdown to select "cached"

... and all this is ABOVE the truncated page link.

And then the link is followed by possibly a by-line, and then a date

... and only then does the blurb from the page start showing up, again truncated.

But that's not all! Below the truncated blurb there will be "People also search for" with more links, but only within a single one of the page results. Below the other items there are more links in the form of keywords or questions.

Skimming a Google results page is OVER.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ismails

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2019
I have seen it too for the last couple of months.
I think google is revamping/restructuring search result unless its gonna be a huge change in algorithm or something.
I think google is trying to make relevant search results based on user's search thermostat/temperature or something like that
I don't know - just my words as comments
But hey good news is the displayed links get click by visitor which is awesome.

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
The post is a little dramatic. Once you get used to this new layout, you'll start skimming again.

It just doesn't feel that way right now because it looks so new.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 13, 2018
The post is a little dramatic. Once you get used to this new layout, you'll start skimming again.

It just doesn't feel that way right now because it looks so new.
My main issue is the lack of visual hierarchy in the titles.

I've always searched on Google looking at:
  1. Title
  2. Title
  3. Title
  4. Maybe source
  5. Title
  6. Maybe blurb
I can usually find the credibility of the site and the source faster by clicking the link than actually reading anything more. I trust Google to find the best URL first because they know my search history and which URLs I click on. So as long as the title matches what I'm looking for, I click on URL 1. Then URL 2.

So…

Previously, before every title, there was a massive gap of whitespace. So I could look for the whitespace and know that the title followed. That allowed me to skim.

Now, in between the whitespace is the Favicon and URL, neither of which I care about when Googling.

True, it's possible to change my skimming patterns by looking for larger, blue text as the titles. However, the titles are only slightly larger (20px vs 14px), and I use flux 24/7 making the blue color not stand out at all. Maybe it will become easier with practice, but I'm not counting on it right now.

…then again I used to not like the current Google logo. I do now.

P.S. Good news to advertisers (but not consumers): Ads are now less differentiated on Google, making them appear more like actual search results.

OP
OP
Drive2Riches

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
in between the whitespace is the Favicon and URL, neither of which I care about when Googling.
yup. excessive information. I liked the url underneath.
Ads are now less differentiated on Google, making them appear more like actual search results.
Yep. I was previously able to scroll past ads because of "AD" icon, but now the icon also shows.
I've always searched on Google looking at:
  1. Title
  2. Title
  3. Title
  4. Maybe source
  5. Title
  6. Maybe blurb
I am typically looking up terms that are quite random. I need spellings, context, maybe location if it's a city name. I think I have been reading the blurb all the time, and now it's shorter and less prominent, so that's why this change is striking to me.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I hate it. I noticed that a lot of the search has been localized.

Try searching for an international partner that you work with. You won't be able to find them even though they ranked up top before.

The search results have changed to heavily local focused.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
I hate it. I noticed that a lot of the search has been localized.

Try searching for an international partner that you work with. You won't be able to find them even though they ranked up top before.

The search results have changed to heavily local focused.
Which makes absolutely no sense, since unless you're looking for a restaurant or an auto mechanic, being local has become largely meaningless. Back in 2007-2008 when the steps toward localizing search were getting underway, it made a lot of sense. But, a lot has changed since--changes Google is aware of, since it puts out reports on things like online shopping. We've finally reached the point in society where true authority is FAR more important than geography for most purposes, and also the peak of localized search.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can someone post screenshots?

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Wow, talk about a shit show.

First of all, I don't use Google much.

But I tried using it looking for an engineered hardwood, a specific type of brand, color, and model.

This is what the second page looked like, absolutely NOTHING to do with the search.

1579456333675.png

The first page had two relevant results, the rest of it was garbage.

The bottom of page one...

DuckDuckGo had much better results.

This makes my decision not to use Google a bit easier.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

I only use Duck Duck Go. It actually produces results relevant to my search.

And there is that big bonus of privacy and avoiding Google's tracking. They use that so they can show you what you should look at, even when you know it is totally irrelevant.

Walter

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Wow, talk about a shit show.

First of all, I don't use Google much.

But I tried using it looking for an engineered hardwood, a specific type of brand, color, and model.

This is what the second page looked like, absolutely NOTHING to do with the search.

View attachment 29796

The first page had two relevant results, the rest of it was garbage.

The bottom of page one...

View attachment 29797

Organic results have gone to shit over the past 2-3 years in a push to make their own ecosystem more dominant.

Their own properties showing up with scraped content, like lyrics and answers. And of course Ads.

The latest change is clearly designed to train you to ignore the Ad label, because it looks like a favicon.

Websites aren't profitable anymore. Answers are.

Red = Google. Green = Organic

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock