The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way to get your site up in Google search?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
So I am no website coder, but I know how to use Muse fairly decently and have used GUI based site builders in the past.

I made a website for my uncle's diesel shop back in the early 2000s. Back then when Google's rules were a little slack I was able to put a war and peace sized paragraph of keywords for Google's bots in the HTML code, and I was able to have his site come up when anyone searched for anything diesel engine related. But Im not sure these days. Some help sites say keywords in the code is bad and some dont even mention it. I was even thinking about being sneaky about it and putting an area at the bottom of each page with a white background and white font text at like font size 1 lol. Is this even a bad idea?

And so I was wondering if embedding keywords in the HTML code is still a thing or what other ways exist to have your site come up on the first page of search engines when people use specific key words.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hydemx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 20, 2018
Hello @Flybye

Things have changed a lot during these years. Certainly, stuffing keywords in your page won't take it to the top spots in Google as SEO has evolved immensely as well. Yes, you need good content which inherently will contain some keywords you want to rank for, but also you will need a well optimized website and backlinks.

There's a lot of information in the forum, for example this thread:
Need Any SEO Advice? I'm here to help you

You will need to learn a lot of things, and understand how the SEO works these days ;)

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
None of that will work anymore lol. It will most likely get you deindexed from the SERP.

Your best is to go to Moz.com and start looking at some good content marketing strategies. Stuff has changed a lot from the early days of the internet.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
Hello @Flybye

Things have changed a lot during these years. Certainly, stuffing keywords in your page won't take it to the top spots in Google as SEO has evolved immensely as well. Yes, you need good content which inherently will contain some keywords you want to rank for, but also you will need a well optimized website and backlinks.

There's a lot of information in the forum, for example this thread:
Need Any SEO Advice? I'm here to help you

You will need to learn a lot of things, and understand how the SEO works these days ;)
Thx! I will read up on it. One thing I do know is you are ranked lower if you do not have a mobile site. So I made sure to spend the extra time in making one. I made a desktop and mobile, but I didnt bother with a tablet specific site.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
Moz stuff is a good starting point for the basics but it gets a little... fluffy in the detail. Lots of guest writers and conflicting opinions/light promotional fluff etc.

If you have a small budget I really recommend Distilled's DistilledU. You get their detailed articles as well as all the conference videos going back to the LinkLove days.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Simple and effective strategy that I've leveraged

0) Make sure your site is mobile friendly
1) Write good, relevant content that keeps people on your site
2) Link to that content from various social media sites, even cross posting if you wish (i.e. on linkedin and your site)
3) Guest posting on other reputable sites that allow you to link back to your domain

If you're looking for fast traffic then SEO really isn't your best bet. If that's the case, then leverage paid ads on the relevant platform.

If you're looking for a long term empire, then employ the above strategy or something similar.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2015
UK and Sweden
The best overall tactic is to think about SEO like this....

Think of a Venn diagram with an optimised site in the middle, you have three circles on the outside...

- On-Page Technical
- Content
- Links and Authority

I well optimised site will be doing all these things well.

On-Page Technical
This is the first part of SEO I look at, because if Google can't even crawl your site properly, the other two issues won't matter anyway. On-page covers a whole host of variables depending on the nature of the site, but a good SEO will probably be able to come up with several hundred possible checks a site would need to be set-up properly for.

Content
Pages, words, pictures, videos and media. This is what will build your "keyword universe". If you only have single page website, forget thinking about ranking for thousands of search terms. But, don't assume numerous pages are the way forward, quality, relevance and credibility all factor in here.

Links and Authority
Not all links are equal, this is an area where you can really come unstuck if you are not careful. The ideal situation is that you create compelling content that "earns" you links and mentions from other sources. Not everyone has the means to do that so you will need to look into how you gain quality, relevant and authoritative links and mentions for your site.

If you can work on these 3 areas, you will gain visibility and rankings. It's just a big job that nobody finds any easier these days.

Obviously this is very high level, but perhaps divide your work into these three areas and then work out a roadmap of tasks for each one?

Hope this helps.

Stephen

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
...other ways exist to have your site come up on the first page of search engines when people use specific keywords.
If you have a few bucks to invest, the fastest way is Google "Search" Ads. Not only do you get to the top and in the front of your ideal customer fast, but you also get tons of useful information that you can use to inform your organic SEO, website copy, and the list goes on. With organic SEO, it might takes months to see if your keywords/content are working or not. With search ads you get to test your offer/messaging, in real time, with people actively looking for your product/service.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
I'll preface this with 'of course I'd say that given what I do for a living'.

And admit that 'of course you have to take my word for it that I don't secretly love Google PPC'.

But we've not run a single $ in search ads for our own sites in nearly a decade. The truth is for the 'big money keywords' we're targeting in search paying $5.50/click or $15.25/click or whatever is just insane. For us it's better to be patient and rank a page then test getting the maximum value out of it.

There was a time when the opposite was true. PPC was so cheap why not turn on that tap on day 1. But these days there's so many cheaper sources than the search marketing type of PPC (god even FB ads are often 70%+ cheaper per targeted visitor - and at least the FB people have seen a picture and a detailed ad saying what you're showing them not a few words) I can't see us ever going back unless there's a massive change in the market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.