The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting into Web Design

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
G

Guest61835

So currently I'm taking an online Udemy course. It's the complete WordPress Buisness course. It's pretty good so far. Not finished but I'm going to feel lazy for asking this but, is there any wisdom to be shared about website design that I may need to know? Usually I don't like to ask simple shortcut sounding questions like this but I'm just curious is all. I've got a decent plan. Finish course, build websites, freelance website creation for clients and sell them too. And then create my own website for experience and maybeto find which industry is needed I could add value in. That's the jist of it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
I started with a Udemy course as well, but now being a more experience developer in general. I would say to skip the wordpress version of it. If you really want to get into web development. You need to learn the basics of HTML, CSS, Javscript, and a backend language of your choice. PHP is always good, and easy to learn. You might try NodeJS as well though.

Wordpress is so easy and so many people are doing it though, you won't find much value to add.

Check out Twitter Bootstrap. They have a ton of pre-built HTML, CSS, and Javscript elements that make coding a good looking website easier. But try to find a course on the basics first. If you like I can forward you to the one that I took a couple years back? The person who made it probably has new better courses along the same line.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
You are in for a rough ride. Web design is oversaturated at the moment and the only real way to make money fast is to get involved in a network or word of mouth.

G

Guest61835

You are in for a rough ride. Web design is oversaturated at the moment and the only real way to make money fast is to get involved in a network or word of mouth.
The current reason I'm getting into it is temporary. I need to know how to make a website site for my business once I get an understanding of what industry I can add value to first. I'm using web design currently as a means of researching what industry I need to focus on. Once I find it, I can move forward with creating a buisness from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
You should learn the fundamentals of digital marketing because web design needs to align with so many other factors.

Take a look into Google Ads (PPC) and SEO.

Also learn a bit of sales psychology and implement stuff like a clear and motivating USP and social proof.

Lucas Lee-Tyson

https://growthcave.com
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Aug 20, 2018
Boston, MA
I have a friend who literally just buys Wordpress templates for clients, installs them and sets them up (including domain and hosting) for $2,500-$5,000. Yet there are HTML/CSS wizards who can't get a contract to save their life.

Web design, just like any other freelance discipline, is about sales. Learn the basics, then learn how to sell, then go do it.

Last edited:
G

Guest61835

I have a friend who literally just buys Wordpress templates for clients, installs them and sets them up (including domain and hosting) for $2,500-$5,000. Yet there are HTML/CSS wizards who can't get a contract to save their life.

Web design, just like any other freelance discipline, is about sales. Learn the basics, then learn how to sell, then go do it.
That's basically what I'm planning on doing. But it's just a step to take into something better eventually. So ya. Lol

G

Guest61835

My progress has continued on this thread as the primary source .

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I learnt watching wpcrafter vids on YouTube lol. I'm still not tuat good though. I would definitely look into a design course rather than getting deeper into coding. There's tonnes of people that code out there you can hire. I can recommend flix frame design course. Learn about font matching, colours, spacing etc.

Then take Fox's course on sales for web design.

I don't think just swapping copy and images on templates and charging a few grand helps your customers. That's the kind of crap bringing the industry down to the gutter.

Mike S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 25, 2019
Crestview Hills KY

You hit the nail on the head here. Learn now to sell, the market is oversaturated with web devs (think low barrier to entry) but if you can figure out the selling process and go after a niche or vertical market that is underserved, you can attack the market with a value proposition. Otherwise, you'll just be another web-dev looking to build cheap sites or free lance.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Web design is very competitive.
WordPress is the fastest way to building good websites.
Learning code is a much longer route. Additionally, I've heard many skilled coders say that they use WordPress plus pagebuilders because it's simply SOOO much faster and often gets the same end result.

I suggest you consider the shortest route to selling which is WordPress, plus a pagebuilder like Elementor (save up and buy PRO). Read up Fox's thread on Web design, and read up Sean Marshall's thread on starting a digital marketing agency. Those two threads should give you lots of insights and things to think about regarding web design and help you chart your course. I myself am still learning and planning to launch soon. Good luck!

JB92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 28, 2019

This. :thumbsup:

G

Guest61835

Currently at the moment i got one website up and it's my portfolio website till I turn it into my actual business website.

I'll be speaking with an attorney tomorrow to get some contracts made to give to my clients so I can keep at least me safe law wise. Besides that, I'll also speak with an accountant asap. No date is set for an accountant but I basically at least need the contracts so I don't get myself into a dispute and ending in a lawsuit scenario. The contract should protect me regarding the services I provide. Anyways, after I get the contracts, I'll then go forward with actually making the money.

The market I'm targeting is creative/composition types of small businesses like photography, jewelry, and vinyls/clothing. Obviously one of those I need to specialize in as the niche so photography will most likely be my niche. An insane amount of people do photography and need websites. So I'll add value to that and go from there.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Ecom is harder and photographers without websites don't have a lot of money. I'm definitely not trying to bring you down, just saying there may be better options out there.

G

Guest61835

Ecom is harder and photographers without websites don't have a lot of money. I'm definitely not trying to bring you down, just saying there may be better options out there.
I already know it's not as profitable as many others but I figured I could start there and if I choose to change my market onto something else then I will. It'd be a start. Better than no money made and no skills/experience made.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I already know it's not as profitable as many others but I figured I could start there and if I choose to change my market onto something else then I will. It'd be a start. Better than no money made and no skills/experience made.
So.. why not just start on an area that has more money to spend and isn't ecommerce? Have a read through Fox's threads, you will find them interesting I think.

G

Guest61835

So.. why not just start on an area that has more money to spend and isn't ecommerce? Have a read through Fox's threads, you will find them interesting I think.
What is the thread and the members name? Having trouble finding the thread you are speaking of.

G

Guest61835

Check out my execution thread. It's going well with getting the business set up.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I am also watching youtubers creating with Wordpress for my food/gaming/travel blog. How would you all compare Wordpress v. Squarespace or some other app?

mattsteinman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 13, 2019
Michigan
What purpose does a traditional website solve?

Of course, some entrepreneurs and businesses still need websites but let's go beyond the traditional website. They are becoming more and more ineffective as marketing and sales change.

I would recommend looking into sales funnels and lead generation methods. It's what all businesses want. Leads and sales.

Do traditional websites still work for certain businesses?

Absolutely.

You can get some web design inspiration from Awwwards: Awwwards - Website Awards - Best Web Design Trends

And if you do stick with the traditional website, look into the Growth-Driven Design (GDD) process. It's a great model.

G

Guest61835

I am also watching youtubers creating with Wordpress for my food/gaming/travel blog. How would you all compare Wordpress v. Squarespace or some other app?

So here is a link that kinda defines the differences between the two. I've never heard of square space.

In this case, I prefer WordPress because it manages all the aspects of what makes your website and it's amazing. And it's free shareware. You can change it all you want however you want.
And there is a huge community that works with different aspects of WordPress to make it better. WordPress is used alot now yes but for whatever need that it has to full fill, it can be done.

G

Guest61835

What purpose does a traditional website solve?

Of course, some entrepreneurs and businesses still need websites but let's go beyond the traditional website. They are becoming more and more ineffective as marketing and sales change.

I would recommend looking into sales funnels and lead generation methods. It's what all businesses want. Leads and sales.

Do traditional websites still work for certain businesses?

Absolutely.

You can get some web design inspiration from Awwwards: Awwwards - Website Awards - Best Web Design Trends

And if you do stick with the traditional website, look into the Growth-Driven Design (GDD) process. It's a great model.

That's the next thing I'm doing.

So here's my list of problems I face in my business before I start it.

1 SOLVED : Learn how to create websites.

2 SOLVED: Get an attorney for legal advice/help.

3 Get an accountant.

4 learn digital marketing.

5 Graphic design so the websites look super nice.

6: Sales knowledge.

JB92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 28, 2019

3 Get an accountant.

Have you considered the quality assurance & testing phase? It would be good to learn how to fully test a website end to end if not. :)

mattsteinman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 13, 2019
Michigan

3 Get an accountant.

Looking "super nice" isn't always an effective strategy.

Some of the simplest websites/sales funnel, where the user can easily find what they came there to find, are the best performing.

I would move Sales Knowledge to the top of your priority list. What do you need an accountant for at this stage of the game (unless you are already generating heaps of income)?

Sales and Presenting is going to be a high-income skill that you'll need to practice and become very very good at.

Use a tool like Wave (FREE financial software) to track all your expenses and invoice your clients.

Good luck my friend.

G

Guest61835

Looking "super nice" isn't always an effective strategy.

Some of the simplest websites/sales funnel, where the user can easily find what they came there to find, are the best performing.

I would move Sales Knowledge to the top of your priority list. What do you need an accountant for at this stage of the game (unless you are already generating heaps of income)?

Sales and Presenting is going to be a high-income skill that you'll need to practice and become very very good at.

Use a tool like Wave (FREE financial software) to track all your expenses and invoice your clients.

Good luck my friend.
I've been thinking the same for the graphic designer being not too important. That's all I hear pretty much is sales is the most important. When you say sales do you mean my sales on my Websites or sales knowledge to help clients on their sales? Or do you mean both?

I'll be using QuickBooks online to solve the money tracking issue and then accountant for filing taxes. Unless I don't need an accountant? I've heard you need one.

mattsteinman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 13, 2019
Michigan
When you say sales do you mean my sales on my Websites or sales knowledge to help clients on their sales? Or do you mean both?

Just how to sell in general. Everything from understanding your customer, their pain points, and how to effectively tell engaging stories. This is the stuff that sells. The design doesn't sell ;)

Yes, you'll need an accountant to do your year-end (or quarterly) taxes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.