The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Four Years of The Fastlane Forum

Scuur

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 9, 2017
stonington
This thread is unreal. Gave me the feels good tingles. You got me with the first part I was a little saddened. I thought you gave up on your dreams. The lol Jk put an immediate smile on my face. Congrats on all your success!

Thank you again for posting this!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The employees don't tell the parents about any "firsts"... they just feel too bad for the parents for having missed it.

They just let the parent come and tell them a week later that Johnny crawled for the first time!!

Brutal.

I seriously want to have this same conversation in the future :D

Focus on a product for sale or rent rather than a service you provide unless you can hire people to do it from day one. Don't make the mistake I did; if you're heavily entangled in the creation and implementation of your productocracy, freedom is slower, and harder, because every little bit you draw back lowers your income and puts freedom farther away. It's super tempting to want a magnitude play because it's faster to start and it might even give you a sort of celebrity feeling (flying out to give lectures, staying in hotels all the time). All that glitters is not gold. Let your packages get on a plane to Ohio or Kentucky while you get on a plane to the Maldives.

With your family.

And without your phone.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I love how questions regarding "parenting and entrepreneurship" go on this forum.

New members focus on the 'entrepreneur' part.
As in, "how can I be my own boss properly if I'm a parent?"

Then the older members jump in and focus on the 'parenting' part.
As in "how can you parent properly if you're always at someone else's workplace?"

Love it :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My wife works at a daycare.

The employees don't tell the parents about any "firsts"... they just feel too bad for the parents for having missed it.

They just let the parent come and tell them a week later that Johnny crawled for the first time!!

This should be required reading for anyone newly married and/or expecting.

Keep telling everyone you are working your brains out "for your family..."

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
Thank you, RHL, for saying this:

Focus on a product for sale or rent rather than a service you provide unless you can hire people to do it from day one.

It just makes better business-sense if fast lane is priority.

...my take away: choose good business over satisfying ego.

Last edited:

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Brutal.

Focus on a product for sale or rent rather than a service you provide unless you can hire people to do it from day one. Don't make the mistake I did; if you're heavily entangled in the creation and implementation of your productocracy, freedom is slower, and harder, because every little bit you draw back lowers your income and puts freedom farther away. It's super tempting to want a magnitude play because it's faster to start and it might even give you a sort of celebrity feeling (flying out to give lectures, staying in hotels all the time). All that glitters is not gold. Let your packages get on a plane to Ohio or Kentucky while you get on a plane to the Maldives.

With your family.

And without your phone.

I like what you're saying here. How & when did you notice the need to switch? And how did you do it? You stayed in the same business but switched to a product? It seems insight that lots of us would easily ignore.. as a service seems to have the lower barrier to entry.

Thanks for your amazing story! It makes me, as a soon to be dad - both sad and motivated. Sad because Im nowhere near your level, but motivated because there is this "other way" to parenting. :)

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Continuation of this thread: One Year of FLF.

Sorry for being gone for so long, but I had a good excuse:
b1wUWQH.png

Unfortunately, I read this thread while I was away:

I'm gonna be a dad.. Did I just lose the fastlane?

And realized that I had lost the fastlane. There's just too many red gumballs in this machine for my liking, especially with a child to support. So I decided that I'd rather stick to the slow lane and fill up a 401K. I'll have plenty of time to get to know my child after I retire from a regular 9-5, and my baby is 40, and has grown up, has a family, and has moved away. Thanks for everything; this has been an interesting period in my life. I envy you young guys and gals who can still experiment with this stuff safely. All the best!

Lol, jk.

When I was a child, everything in our house was focused on getting college scholarships and getting into the best colleges possible. I did not have one summer "off" from school after about age 13. Nights, weekends, you name it. It was the a high-pressure academic situation similar to what many children of East-Asian/Indian immigrants are unfortunately familiar with. Every year, there was this desperate scramble to memorize more speeches and facts and perform more outlandish feats to dazzle unqualified volunteer judges and bored corporate donors who had to tolerate listening to us to promote their brands. My family was fairly poor during this time; my dad had been out of work for years, though he took whatever dead-end, brutal, crap jobs he could find to put a few extra bucks on the table. My mom worked part time. Everything depended on going to the best school on a full ride. My entire sense of self worth hinged on where I went to university and whether or not I got a full ride. People were measured and graded based on where they were "going" or "got into." Those who weren't going to college weren't worthy of consideration at all.

By the time I got to college, everything was suffocating. I couldn't imagine a life where the organic and physical chemistry and differential equations I had to suffer through became a daily routine, but I knew that if I didn't want my kids to have to run the awful gauntlet I'd been through, I'd need to be either an engineer (and preferably computer, petroleum, or aerospace) or go into medicine.

I dreamed that things would be different in my personal life too.

I wanted to be able to support the faltering homeless shelter I volunteered at when I was a teen. I thought about providing real programs for the clients so that the neurotypical ones (and any who could live on their own) could get back on their feet.

I dreamed about not picking up my girlfriend in my 265,000 mile, 12-year-old Chrysler that needed air in its back tire before every trip. I dreamed about driving that POS with its screeching fan belts and rattling catalytic converters into the river and taking her to the next campus formal an Aston Martin DB9 that had just come out, which I thought was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen.

But I saw no way to get any of the things I wanted, except for 10+ years of higher education and brutal 70-hour weeks for the rest of my life. I knew it was what I was supposed to do. What my family wanted me to do. What I had been prepared for my whole life.

I've been here for four years, as long as it takes to get a college degree. It's now 2017.

It's Tuesday again. Do you know where I am?

Not at work.

Before I brought my child home from the hospital, my wife and I locked in a maxed out 5-year-schedule joint gift 529 for the baby for college. With the money that investment generates (large initial investment into the market + time), my child will never worry about paying for college or grad school. Ever.

I spend my time doing the things I want to do. Charity. Volunteering. Writing. Reading with my baby in the hammock on the porch all day yesterday (Monday). Focus on vocation and inspiration with no need to concern myself with pay.

What began as a side hustle is growing into a real machine. What began as a the gentle sprinkling of occasional sales and ill-conceived side-hustles has precipitated into a focused deluge at the hands of automation and subcontractors.

I was sitting at a party this weekend and a guy heard my phone buzzing under the booming music and said, "sounds like somebody's really trying to get a hold of you."

"No, I get that alert every time I sell some of X, so I leave it on. It makes my day."

By the 5th time the buzz came in, the guy said "Are you kidding me?"

I'm not. And I haven't needed a college degree or paid training for any of it.
ENdwVQ4.jpg

This is some bullshit

Before I got my copy of TMF , my part in the script was a guy in his mid 20's living in a studio apartment and making $40,000/yr. By then I was driving a nice 2000 Dodge Neon with a rust hole in the door the size of a tennis ball and only 185,000 miles on it.

Where were you four years ago? Where are you now? Where will you be tomorrow?

Look at the final act of the script you're acting out. Look at the road you're on.

Now look were you want to be.

You can get there. If you try.

dNkkVc1.jpg

vmGukWE.jpg

z0lRYxT.jpg
Amazing post!
Kick in the a$$ I need now!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Congratulations on the milestones! It's incredible that you've earned this freedom that you can share with your family. Enjoy it!

Sfbloo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 9, 2017
Uk
Inspirational story and congratulations. I wish I had read TMF pre kids and started the mind set change. I don't know you or your story but as a father of two it's a a great motivational push. If only there were more hours in the day!

Enjoy every moment with the little one. Great story

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
This should be required reading for anyone newly married and/or expecting.

Keep telling everyone you are working your brains out "for your family..."

Mr. Money Mustache is good for this, too. I know we give the ultra frugalists a hard time for eating roadkill and using toxic exhaust gasses from their furnace to dry their clothes, but real talk, the extreme early retirement people still aren't at work. They're still at home with their families. They're still free of the 9-5. They still figured out what matters. They're on the right track. They guy driving a Maserati who has to work 70 hours a week because of his $4,000/mo car payment, he's not on the right track.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Mr. Money Mustache is good for this, too. I know we give the ultra frugalists a hard time for eating roadkill and using toxic exhaust gasses from their furnace to dry their clothes, but real talk, the extreme early retirement people still aren't at work. They're still at home with their families. They're still free of the 9-5. They still figured out what matters. They're on the right track. They guy driving a Maserati who has to work 70 hours a week because of his $4,000/mo car payment, he's not on the right track.

OT: My cleaning lady drives a current model Mercedes. I haven't yet determined if she is really smart or really stupid. It's possible she's loaded, and it's possible she's a maid with a Mercedes payment.

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

I love reading the success stories on this forum because it means you've brought real value to the world!

I wish you continued success both as an entrepreneur and as a parent! :)

mathnkrayon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 9, 2017
Philippines
Continuation of this thread: One Year of FLF.

Sorry for being gone for so long, but I had a good excuse:
b1wUWQH.png

Unfortunately, I read this thread while I was away:

I'm gonna be a dad.. Did I just lose the fastlane?

And realized that I had lost the fastlane. There's just too many red gumballs in this machine for my liking, especially with a child to support. So I decided that I'd rather stick to the slow lane and fill up a 401K. I'll have plenty of time to get to know my child after I retire from a regular 9-5, and my baby is 40, and has grown up, has a family, and has moved away. Thanks for everything; this has been an interesting period in my life. I envy you young guys and gals who can still experiment with this stuff safely. All the best!

Lol, jk.

When I was a child, everything in our house was focused on getting college scholarships and getting into the best colleges possible. I did not have one summer "off" from school after about age 13. Nights, weekends, you name it. It was the a high-pressure academic situation similar to what many children of East-Asian/Indian immigrants are unfortunately familiar with. Every year, there was this desperate scramble to memorize more speeches and facts and perform more outlandish feats to dazzle unqualified volunteer judges and bored corporate donors who had to tolerate listening to us to promote their brands. My family was fairly poor during this time; my dad had been out of work for years, though he took whatever dead-end, brutal, crap jobs he could find to put a few extra bucks on the table. My mom worked part time. Everything depended on going to the best school on a full ride. My entire sense of self worth hinged on where I went to university and whether or not I got a full ride. People were measured and graded based on where they were "going" or "got into." Those who weren't going to college weren't worthy of consideration at all.

By the time I got to college, everything was suffocating. I couldn't imagine a life where the organic and physical chemistry and differential equations I had to suffer through became a daily routine, but I knew that if I didn't want my kids to have to run the awful gauntlet I'd been through, I'd need to be either an engineer (and preferably computer, petroleum, or aerospace) or go into medicine.

I dreamed that things would be different in my personal life too.

I wanted to be able to support the faltering homeless shelter I volunteered at when I was a teen. I thought about providing real programs for the clients so that the neurotypical ones (and any who could live on their own) could get back on their feet.

I dreamed about not picking up my girlfriend in my 265,000 mile, 12-year-old Chrysler that needed air in its back tire before every trip. I dreamed about driving that POS with its screeching fan belts and rattling catalytic converters into the river and taking her to the next campus formal an Aston Martin DB9 that had just come out, which I thought was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen.

But I saw no way to get any of the things I wanted, except for 10+ years of higher education and brutal 70-hour weeks for the rest of my life. I knew it was what I was supposed to do. What my family wanted me to do. What I had been prepared for my whole life.

I've been here for four years, as long as it takes to get a college degree. It's now 2017.

It's Tuesday again. Do you know where I am?

Not at work.

Before I brought my child home from the hospital, my wife and I locked in a maxed out 5-year-schedule joint gift 529 for the baby for college. With the money that investment generates (large initial investment into the market + time), my child will never worry about paying for college or grad school. Ever.

I spend my time doing the things I want to do. Charity. Volunteering. Writing. Reading with my baby in the hammock on the porch all day yesterday (Monday). Focus on vocation and inspiration with no need to concern myself with pay.

What began as a side hustle is growing into a real machine. What began as a the gentle sprinkling of occasional sales and ill-conceived side-hustles has precipitated into a focused deluge at the hands of automation and subcontractors.

I was sitting at a party this weekend and a guy heard my phone buzzing under the booming music and said, "sounds like somebody's really trying to get a hold of you."

"No, I get that alert every time I sell some of X, so I leave it on. It makes my day."

By the 5th time the buzz came in, the guy said "Are you kidding me?"

I'm not. And I haven't needed a college degree or paid training for any of it.
ENdwVQ4.jpg

This is some bullshit

Before I got my copy of TMF , my part in the script was a guy in his mid 20's living in a studio apartment and making $40,000/yr. By then I was driving a nice 2000 Dodge Neon with a rust hole in the door the size of a tennis ball and only 185,000 miles on it.

Where were you four years ago? Where are you now? Where will you be tomorrow?

Look at the final act of the script you're acting out. Look at the road you're on.

Now look were you want to be.

You can get there. If you try.

dNkkVc1.jpg

vmGukWE.jpg

z0lRYxT.jpg
I was fueled with your post, thanks man!
I gotta work harder now

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
OT: My cleaning lady drives a current model Mercedes. I haven't yet determined if she is really smart or really stupid. It's possible she's loaded, and it's possible she's a maid with a Mercedes payment.

I told this story after-hours at the summit a few years ago, but for my second graduate degree, the university didn't guarantee housing, so rather than paying $4000/mo to rent in Princeton, I went to Pennsylvania. At the cheap-as-hell apartment I rented, a lot of my neighbors had leased brand new M3s, C63 AMGs, and GT500s. I wonder what their dates thought when they came back to "da crib" and found out it was a $650/mo studio apartment where the marshall service served 3 warrants a weekend in full body armor.

Last edited:

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Had an absolutely horrible night last night. If you've never had kids, you should know that their development happens in waves, and when it happens the babies tend to regress, so as they develop new abilities, they start crying more, sleeping less, generally acting like they did when they were newborns.

Woke up so many times last night that I snoozed all 3 alarms this morning and missed my 5AM alarm for the gym. Woke up in a fog hours late. Day ruined, right?

I woke up to an email saying I sold $390 in product while I was asleep last night.

Now I'm going to the gym from 10AM-12PM. Because I can.

Productocracy: Your system has a good day, so you don't have to.

Last edited:

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
Had an absolutely horrible night last night. If you've never had kids, you should know that their development happens in waves, and when it happens the babies tend to regress, so as they develop new abilities, they start crying more, sleeping less, generally acting like they did when they were newborns.

Woke up so many times last night that I snoozed all 3 alarms this morning and missed my 5AM alarm for the gym. Woke up in a fog hours late. Day ruined, right?

I woke up to an email saying I sold $390 in product while I was asleep last night.

Now I'm going to the gym from 10AM-12AM. Because I can.

Productocracy: Your system has a good day, so you don't have to.

Love it.

Parenthood, especially the first three months, can be brutal. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I'm not going to lie, each of your stories are really appreciated on this forum - heck, this forum is deeply appreciated. I have read your story so many times, and the super cool responses, you all are inspiring each of us. I'm still in the beginning of my lane and getting my foundation going; however, I am motivated every-living-day that I come here. I read about the challenges, the failures, the lessons learnt, the tweaking from the failure to the lesson, I read about the positives you each add to people's lives, I read about the success, I read about the ability to be free, to do things, I read about contributing to communities and pledging to things you are passionate about, because you can. I am proud of where we all are, regardless of the point of journey we are, whether we are starting, midway, or onto another because of the previous success we've already experienced - we are all winning and this is phenomenal!

Congratulations, you are an inspiration, I wish you continued success and freedom to do great things with your family and thank you for taking the time to share your remarkable transformation.

SamuelMazzotta

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 31, 2017
Italy
Really exciting dude!!Thank you so much for this awesome story!!
It's an incredible, evidence of strenght and ironclad will that give me goosebumps;
I'm a 28 age boy, a beautiful girl and a fantastic little 5 y boy, in Italy, and i struggle every day to build my own Freedom, between a work that i hate, a marvelous family and what comes out of it, web studyng and personal growth;
Thank you for the proof that dreams can be realized, if you fight every day to do it.

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Congratulations! Parenthood is bloody hard work and absolutely, incredibly, amazing.
And what an inspirational story, thank you. I am a believer now, lol!

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Saw MJ post yesterday about reading the "I've been here for 'x' years" threads. This is the first I've come across and I'm not at all disappointed.

Congrats on the baby and thank you for sharing with everyone

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
Brutal.

With your family.

And without your phone.
so is that the general advice for all "passive businesses?" Focus on a product?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so is that the general advice for all "passive businesses?" Focus on a product?

Can your product/service exist without your participation?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
In my experience, the odds of the person being chained to the company are much higher with service based business than a product based one. The product usually enforces a kind of disciplined separation that can be easier to transgress if you yourself were the original secret sauce of something like a coaching program or web design agency.

Source: Was the sauce. Got chained.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Bump
@RHL, how are things now?
Any more plans?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Bump!:smile2:

Caroline888

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
May 5, 2018
UK
@RHL Congratulations! This thread is so inspiring.
I am new to fast lane and your post offers very good point with the main "focus on the product based business". I totally agree - this is very fast lane.

Roveso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 3, 2018
Focus on a product for sale or rent rather than a service you provide unless you can hire people to do it from day one
Eye-opening piece of advice. Note taken. Thank you so much!

andrewbaltimore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Feb 19, 2016
Such an amazing story. It helps me a lot to keep pushing, thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.