The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ForeverJobless Podcast

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
I listened to the first 5 episodes. I'm really enjoying it so far. I always like hearing your thought process on business especially about doing things differently to everyone else.

I don't remember the last time I listened to a podcast with just one person talking, but those were pretty short and left me wanting to hear more. Which is great.

As per another poster, I noticed a bit of hissing in the first couple of episodes. And maybe when you're interviewing people, like in the one with Sal, make sure he's got nothing running on his side that could mess up the connection. I think Andrew Warner from Mixergy has a checklist of what his guests need to do before he starts recording.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

-L-

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 26, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
I listened to the first 5 episodes. I'm really enjoying it so far. I always like hearing your thought process on business especially about doing things differently to everyone else.

I don't remember the last time I listened to a podcast with just one person talking, but those were pretty short and left me wanting to hear more. Which is great.

As per another poster, I noticed a bit of hissing in the first couple of episodes. And maybe when you're interviewing people, like in the one with Sal, make sure he's got nothing running on his side that could mess up the connection. I think Andrew Warner from Mixergy has a checklist of what his guests need to do before he starts recording.
Dropbox and BitTorrent are good examples of applications that need be to shut down during the recording of a podcast, especially if you're using Skype.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
You have some great stuff and I believe you will be very successful with this effort. I agree with -L- on his points and would add that, the profanity in podcast #2 was a big turn off for me. I may be in the minority and that's fine, but I just want to share with you my honest reaction. To me, if you are reaching out to/informing/educating the the public, it comes off as unprofessional to have anything but the occasional departure from mild language. Ok, I hope I did not earn a "judgemental Prude" label on FLF for saying this. I REALLY LIKE (AND WILL BE A FOLLOWER OF) THE SITE/PODCAST ;-)

Thanks for putting out some very good content so far! I look forward to seeing you grow.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

I think episode #2 was the only episode with swearing because that's the only one Neville was in so far and he drops the occasional F bomb. Once I figure out how to use iTunes we'll mark individual shows "explicit". Right now the whole channel is marked explicit just because of that one show.

I'm not a big swearing guy myself other than the occasional "shit"(if that's still considered a swear word?), but I didn't want to edit out Neville's parts or tell him to talk a different way than he's used to because it might flow differently if he had to think about what he was saying. I want this to be THE show where you're hearing real conversations. I felt like most other podcasts were very watered down and unnatural, so didn't want to edit/change the dynamic of anything that would bring it closer to those shows, I'm trying to go the opposite way.

Thanks again for the feedback and support

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
The profanity turned you from 'The host of the foreverjobless podcast' to 'Billy'.

Curious, was there swearing outside of episode 2? You're the second person who mentioned it and wondered if maybe I'm swearing without knowing it, or if your comment is referring to episode 2 as well?

Don't overproduce. I noticed you put reverb on one of them. Be careful with FX. The general rule with vocal FX is 'if someone can hear the effect, you've overdone it.'
I don't do any of the tech stuff, and am just learning that whatever the editor did was not ideal :/
I have some backlogged shows with this, but for future ones the sound will improve.
Thanks for the feedback

I really like it, keep it up.

Thank you!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Just downloaded - listening now. Interesting so far! Will spend some more time on this...

I'm curious what equipment you're using? It may be an odd thing to say, but I don't feel "comfortable" with the sound quality. It might be a combination of the editing or the quality of the mic that you're using...I'm not educated on the subject enough to know. It's not bad, but it just doesn't have that high quality sound that you want/expect from a podcast.

Ya, I wasn't educated on it either. Slowly learning as I go.

I had the option of delaying the launch/re-doing all the editing of the episodes once I learned the quality wasn't ideal(I didn't know what ideal was or I would have fixed sooner :/), or launching. I chose launch for a number of reasons, and thought the content would overcome less than optimal audio.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Awesome podcast man! I loved the Paint Brush Cover episode w Sal. I almost felt like a fly on the wall with two friends chatting about business. It was a very cool perspective! I'm in for more interviews like that.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Awesome podcast man! I loved the Paint Brush Cover episode w Sal. I almost felt like a fly on the wall with two friends chatting about business. It was a very cool perspective! I'm in for more interviews like that.

Awesome, that's the goal, I'm glad that came across! Thanks for that feedback.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Thank you! What was your opinion on the 3 types of guest formats I've tried so far?
Open convo(like episode 2)
In depth chat about how someone did what they did(like episode 4)
Brainstorm session(like episode 6)

I preferred the brainstorm, then the open convo, then the Ferrari, and then Sal #1. I havent listened to #1, #5, #7.

As mentioned before I really like the brainstorm because it was completely different than anything else I have heard on a podcast.

The ferrari episode and open convo were cool because it gave a look into your mindset. I think this and the brainstorm sessions seem to coincide best with your mission to transform how people think about making money and transforming mindsets. I didn't mind the cussing as some others have mentioned, it didn't seem that excessive to me.

I think the first Sal episode was my least favorite because a combination of audio issues, already knowing a lot of the story, and it being similar to how every other podcast is. I think theres a place for episodes like this and using these episodes to lead into a brainstorm session or open convo may be how you could use them. For instance to an outsider I could see how Sal #1 would help prepare them for the Sal Brainstorm session by introducing him, his background and his product. In my case, an intro episode with Neville (sp?) may have been nice to learn a bit more about him and his history since I am unsure who he is.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Thank you guys. I'd love to hear which episodes you preferred, and what you liked most about them, so I know what to make more of in the future.

You're welcome man! I am listening to the last one right now but I just finished writing a positive review on iTunes. I'll do the other steps for the contest right now.

That advice for calling stores, or having other people do it, to get the stores thinking about offering your product was brilliant! I'll always have that in mind now :)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I preferred the brainstorm, then the open convo, then the Ferrari, and then Sal #1. I havent listened to #1, #5, #7.

As mentioned before I really like the brainstorm because it was completely different than anything else I have heard on a podcast.

The ferrari episode and open convo were cool because it gave a look into your mindset. I think this and the brainstorm sessions seem to coincide best with your mission to transform how people think about making money and transforming mindsets. I didn't mind the cussing as some others have mentioned, it didn't seem that excessive to me.

I think the first Sal episode was my least favorite because a combination of audio issues, already knowing a lot of the story, and it being similar to how every other podcast is. I think theres a place for episodes like this and using these episodes to lead into a brainstorm session or open convo may be how you could use them. For instance to an outsider I could see how Sal #1 would help prepare them for the Sal Brainstorm session by introducing him, his background and his product. In my case, an intro episode with Neville (sp?) may have been nice to learn a bit more about him and his history since I am unsure who he is.
@1step All of this is gold. After listening to every episode, I agree with all of this.

Show Structure:
All of your interviews with guests are great. It's a REAL, FUN, and ORGANIC conversation. It reminds me of ChrisHardwick's conversations with guests on the Nerdist podcast. I would take a page out of his book and use a similar show structure, i think it would work great for you:
  • When you're actually interviewing your guests, don't officially introduce the podcast or have a 'show opening.' The guest will feel like they're "on" especially if they're not used to podcasting.
  • Later, record a show intro that explains to the audience who the guest actually is. It should consist of what the guest does, what they're best known for, and your personal connection to them. "Neville is a world class copywriter, best known for his Kopywriting Kourse and his work at Appsumo. He's a great friend of mine and he agreed when I asked him to swing by and be the first guest on the show"
When working on documentaries, we would often disable the red record light while doing interviews to get good usable footage. The more away they are they're being watched, the worse the entertainment.

I think that your intro copy isn't explaining your USP. You should be explaining to new listeners why THIS is their new favorite podcast. People want to hear from you because you're the "real deal" and unlike many 'get rich gurus' you know business through living it, not through big talk. I think this needs to be better presented up top

I LOVED the intromusic. Very good choice, fits the vibe of your show perfectly.

I don't think profanity is an issue. I only remember hearing it out of Neville's mouth, and that's just the way he is lol. There was a warning in the title, although maybe an in-episode 2 second warning at the top when you're privately introducing the guest could help a bit.

Brainstorming:
That brainstorming episode with Sal was AMAZING! I got SO EXCITED!
For real, I was giddy thinking about putting those tactics to use. It was amazing.

I know that the most popular Pat Flynn SPI podcasts and most popular Mixergy episodes were the ones that gave listeners similar tactics to use in their own business. If you can keep up that level of brilliance this will maintain the #1 spot indefinately.

Straight Interview
The first Sal episode was boring. I stopped paying attention 1/3rd of the way through.
I don't know if I'm biased because I already know the story, or for some other reason.
Who knows what the general consensus on this interview was.

Content EpisodesI love your article on the 20K Ferrari, but I HATED the podcast on it. Too hard to follow, too many numbers, to many specific references to things that you said earlier in the podcast. The flow of a podcast (like the flow of a video) is fleeting. You can't reread a sentence a few times until it 'clicks'. If you get too heady with numbers the user gets lost forever.

I can just imagine people driving and pulling over to take notes on the back of their coffee receipts.
80% of the episode was golden, but there were a few specific instances that I KNOW threw off podcast listeners. You want to be a bit more conceptual than that.

The episodes on early rising and marketing the podcast were perfect though.

I suggest VERY soon you do a podcast on EV aka "Millionaire Math".
You should break down EV in a 'general concept' way that doesn't use numbers, but explains the idea behind it.
I think using gambling as an analogy is a good way to get into it.

you want to explain:
  • It's not about emotion
  • Look at each event as if it's in it's own vaccuum, Past events don't effect current ones.
  • Even if there's a risk of losing money in the short term, if you make enough EV+ risks you'll come out ahead long term.
KEEP IT UP!
Can't wait to hear what you have next.

betitall305

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 5, 2014
I've already listened to every episode and my favorite is the latest one with Sal where you are brainstorming with him, sharing your ideas. I love the creativity which I notice to be one of the most common traits amongst successful entrepreneurs. It's great to hear your thought process and how you think about solving one of the hardest things in business, getting traffic/sales.

Would LOVE to hear more of these.

IDEA - maybe you can do a lightning round sometime where you pick a few businesses from your audience every week or so and share what you would do differently, or ideas you have that can make their business more successful. This way your teaching the entire community while directly helping us grow our business at the same time. And since I came up with the idea, it's only right that I go first, lol :)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Thanks!

Sweet, I'll check Andrew's guide out, thanks for the recommendation.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I really like the brainstorm because it was completely different than anything else I have heard on a podcast.

Really glad to hear! Definitely going to have more of these.

using these episodes to lead into a brainstorm session or open convo may be how you could use them. For instance to an outsider I could see how Sal #1 would help prepare them for the Sal Brainstorm session by introducing him, his background and his product. In my case, an intro episode with Neville (sp?) may have been nice to learn a bit more about him and his history since I am unsure who he is.

good feedback, thanks!

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
I'll check Andrew's guide out
I don't think Andrew has an actual guide but rather I remember him or some other podcasters talking about a pre-recording check similar to what @-L- mentioned - stop Bit Torrent, Dropbox, phone & desktop notifications, etc.

But I'm sure there are some pre-recording checklists out there.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
All of your interviews with guests are great. It's a REAL, FUN, and ORGANIC conversation. It reminds me of ChrisHardwick's conversations with guests on the Nerdist podcast. I would take a page out of his book and use a similar show structure, i think it would work great for you

Never heard it, I will check it out

I think that your intro copy isn't explaining your USP. You should be explaining to new listeners why THIS is their new favorite podcast. People want to hear from you because you're the "real deal" and unlike many 'get rich gurus' you know business through living it, not through big talk. I think this needs to be better presented up top

I'd be curious in other's thoughts on this if anyone wants to chime in.

I had a lot more copy in my intro episode, which I thought some of it might be stronger for the per episode intro. What'd you think of the copy in that? I probably had lines you're thinking of in there— curious in which lines you'd pull into the per episode intros.

That brainstorming episode with Sal was AMAZING! I got SO EXCITED!
For real, I was giddy thinking about putting those tactics to use. It was amazing.

Thank you! Seems like that one was a lot of people's favorites, so I'll be doing more of these.

If you can keep up that level of brilliance this will maintain the #1 spot indefinately.

I've already dropped from #1(Pat Flynn took back over), which was expected. The guys who've been holding the top spots for a while have such big audience behind them/huge download numbers, that unless I'm doing a marketing push at the time, I can't push them out. Just in blog subscribers guys like that have 20x + the audience, and that's not including their iTunes audience which is easily 100x + mine right now. If I stay consistent with it I can gain traction and after a while be up there consistently, but it's going to take time because a lot of these guys have several years head start. The shows are proving popular though(image below), so I think if I can maintain content quality + be consistent in putting content out(unlike my blog), I think it could be a very big platform for me very quickly.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 10.23.27 AM.png

I love your article on the 20K Ferrari, but I HATED the podcast on it. Too hard to follow, too many numbers, to many specific references to things that you said earlier in the podcast. The flow of a podcast (like the flow of a video) is fleeting. You can't reread a sentence a few times until it 'clicks'. If you get too heady with numbers the user gets lost forever.

Agreed, as I was doing it I worried about the math stuff. I think I need to re-write some of them for podcast format.

I suggest VERY soon you do a podcast on EV aka "Millionaire Math".

Definitely planning this— for the reason mentioned above I want to spend a lot of time making sure I don't lose anyone on it in a podcast since I can't 'show' numbers.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Last edited:

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I've already listened to every episode and my favorite is the latest one with Sal where you are brainstorming with him, sharing your ideas. I love the creativity which I notice to be one of the most common traits amongst successful entrepreneurs. It's great to hear your thought process and how you think about solving one of the hardest things in business, getting traffic/sales.

Would LOVE to hear more of these.

Thanks for the feedback—more of these on the way!

IDEA - maybe you can do a lightning round sometime where you pick a few businesses from your audience every week or so and share what you would do differently, or ideas you have that can make their business more successful.

I've actually already done at least 1-2 of these, and plan to do more. I just need to decide how to select businesses, since how the show turns out is very dependent on not only me but the other person/business on the call. I did one with @AllenCrawley that's in the backlog— not sure when it'll be released, but I think people will like that one a lot.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I've listened to every episode and I really like it!

I know a lot of people have commented on the profanity and I actually like the profanity. It makes me feel like I'm listening to a real person and it makes everything more relatable in my opinion

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Bill,

Great stuff with the podcasts and content lately! Loved how you broke down your recent venture there - that was a real eye opener for me!

I'll be keeping an eye out for when you discuss the hard money lending and investing stuff. You mentioned that it's not a good idea to outsource projects that you just start; do you prefer to invest in other ventures rather than starting up projects and outsourcing them?

Looking forward to more content.

PS. That picture for your podcast is EPIC! - Nice, man!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
You mentioned that it's not a good idea to outsource projects that you just start; do you prefer to invest in other ventures rather than starting up projects and outsourcing them?

yes and no. i'm investing in deals at the moment where i'm not the operator, I'm just advising, or investing/advising in the deal. there's pros and cons to each way you could do a project. sometimes i would try to map out a plan/get a project off the ground then hand it off, and put someone in place with 'potential' but no experience having had execution success before—big mistake. there's a hundred different ways to do deals, and i'm still playing with what i think works best for me— it'll be different for different people.

i'll do an episode on this shortly.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Billy,

I've liked all the formats so far. I listened to them back to back on a road trip so the variety was nice. Although most people will gravitate toward interviews, I enjoyed the solo episodes because it felt like you were actually talking to me. Content also seemed genuine, not padded, which is good.

I would agree that general sound quality needs to be fine tuned. Intro and outro structures are solid. I think you're doing a great job as show anchor. You have good chemistry with your guests... Balanced, not overbearing... Your enthusiasm delivering the material is consistent. It's also a bonus that your voice doesn't make me want to punch my dashboard.

So if you couldn't tell from the brownie points in my feedback, I'm a fan of the show. Keep up the good work! Rep++

-L-

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 26, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Hello, another feedback after having subscribed to your podcast for a week or so : Make us wait! I see that you're releasing a new episode every day and there is no way you will keep up that pace in the long run. I think you need to find the most appropriate frequency for your podcast. Every day is definitely too much. I would say that 2 episodes a week is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Hello, another feedback after having subscribed to your podcast for a week or so : Make us wait! I see that you're releasing a new episode every day and there is no way you will keep up that pace in the long run. I think you need to find the most appropriate frequency for your podcast. Every day is definitely too much. I would say that 2 episodes a week is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned.

I'm releasing 1/day for at least the first 60 days, and am going to see what I think after that. The majority of my shows will be short ones, so it won't be long interview shows each day. Most will be in the 5-20 minute range.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm releasing 1/day for at least the first 60 days, and am going to see what I think after that. The majority of my shows will be short ones, so it won't be long interview shows each day. Most will be in the 5-20 minute range.
Geez, you're like a band on tour! I'm assuming most of them have been prerecorded.

G

Guest12120

Just listened to the episode with @JasonR. Tons of good advice and motivation!

Congrats Jason on your progress! Looking forward to checking out the changes on your site.
I was recently rereading @biophase's e-commerce thread and I read some of your posts. You can tell immediately how your mindset has changed over the past few months. Big change! Impressive!

@snowbank
Billy, you continue killing it. Each episode is better than the previous one. Great job!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
@pkom79 Thanks...and thanks to @snowbank for having me on - thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope to be back on soon.

I've been super busy running my thing, so I haven't had as much time to post here as I like. But I'm lurking, and moderating (a little bit, haha).

Glad I could provide value for you guys.

dgoldak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2013
Just started listening. Love it! Great quality and content! Started with the paint brush cover episodes, great interviews!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.