The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those who haven't made a sale yet...

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Feels a bit complicated for me when I'm just thinking about making a sale, instead of helping one person.

You're probably thinking too much about "how to make a sale this week", instead of thinking "how to help someone this week".

Let's get back to the current goal you have.
You've got a collection of poems and stories that you want to wrap inside two different books and sell at least one copy this week.

From what I've seen, the problem you're trying to solve is:
- Either help someone to learn English, or
- Help someone improve his English skills

I don't know exactly what type of poems and stories you have. But, you probably got a bit too busy with the building stuff on here.

Let's pretend that you're trying to solve the second problem first. As an English teacher, you already saw the demand for this. Next, look at what solutions are already serving the market. How do people already improve their skill. Be it at school, online apps or already published books. How accessible are those solutions ?

First, look at what the already existing books are offering. Look at what they are already doing to fix the gap. And then, think about how you could do it better. Maybe the stories they got are too long. Maybe they got an ugly cover design that you could improve.

Second, look at the reviews they got. What problems did they mention ? You need to value skew here. Their problems are opportunities for you.

Lastly, just think about other features and ideas you could implement. Maybe you can also add a copy of each story translated into your native language, so the people will find it easier to understand the sense of the story. You need to add things that will help the customers even more into solving their problem.

Now, making the actual sale will depend on how good you executed all of this. After you publish the books, I suggest you grab some copies and give them to some of your students who really want to improve their English skills and are already taking action towards that goal. Give them a book and listen very carefully to their feedback.

Maybe most of them can't find themselves reading because the books are boring, and it's easier to just watch a movie or something. This is a potential value-skew. Figure out a solution. Change the stories and make the books more interesting. Act, Asses, Adjust and then Act again.

I know this scenario is a bit too simple, and you probably know most of this stuff already. But I think you got too much into the building phase (It's normal to do it like this when your goal is making a sale). The most important thing you have to consider is how you're going to help them and solve their problem. Would they consider paying for such products ? Just don't forget about the people you're serving, and before considering how you'll make a sale, think about how you'll help them.

Hope this helps !
Thank you for reaching and taking your time to write this.

It has things I hadn't thought of and lights up things I could better in.

I will post a longer, more detailed response later today or early tomorrow, according to East African Time.

True my aim is to make a sale this week. I want to get to the process of selling.

It is much better to help someone instead and get paid as a result. Make someone live better.

I will post today's progress and a detailed response later.

~Isaac~

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
From what I've seen, the problem you're trying to solve is:
- Either help someone to learn English, or
- Help someone improve his English skills
On helping someone improve English skills, I already do this at school. As I said, many people in my country already use English. But at school I focus learners with special needs in English and those who can get from good to better. I helped a learner who was resitting last only because he had F in English. I coached him. He only needed the right kind of more work and he scored a credit this time. This year I have another in a similar situation.

I have a project to design a book for these group, this project is in the background, as I cannot start it and make it ready for a sale by end of week. Is a book necessary? It is. The one available, for grammar, is quite arcane and unfriendly. The other with both grammar and comprehension is in black and white. Which makes it unfriendly too, and boring. Others are there that have colour, but they have inadequate activities especially for final year students who need more practice. A new book with friendly language and interesting, engaging activities is needed.

I am gravitating towards in the next weeks teaming with someone, a fellow teacher of English and literature to complete this project.

However,
My other skill, which I am really good at. Is creative writing fiction and poetry.

Been writing for upto 7 years now. I have written poems and short stories. I started writing because I wanted to. I learned in the process. Writing, reading, improving. I saw my work to some strong statures.

In 2018 I was nominated for the Writivism Short Fiction Award for my debut short story.

Ever since then, writing has been second nature to me. I write everyday.

I have written about a hundred poems and ten short stories and one feature length story. They are mostly already processed. They are ready for sale. I only need to package them and put out there. It would take me only a few days to get this poems and short stories packaged for publishing.

Note that I am treating these written pieces of mine as exclusive from my project of English teaching and English teaching books. I know when they are published they may greatly contribute to my teaching English. But they will be like plugins.

I know there are people out there who love a good story or a good poem or both. Of my dozens of poems there dozens that will catch someone's mind and move their souls. Of the short stories there are those that will spark discussion in the readership. This way I will help my readers cognitively as they may see other ways of perception.

Note that I do focus on these poems and short stories because of the speed with which I may prepare them for the market in comparison to the English book.
If I can't start it in 7 days it's too complicated for me yet.
And money loves speed.

I want that experience of selling something to someone. I can use this as an opportunity to do it and learn what happens out there in the market.

That's my purpose

I Will get to work on the manuscript of poems now.

It is 20:22pm in Uganda.

~Isaac~

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
On helping someone improve English skills, I already do this at school. As I said, many people in my country already use English. But at school I focus learners with special needs in English and those who can get from good to better. I helped a learner who was resitting last only because he had F in English. I coached him. He only needed the right kind of more work and he scored a credit this time. This year I have another in a similar situation.

I have a project to design a book for these group, this project is in the background, as I cannot start it and make it ready for a sale by end of week. Is a book necessary? It is. The one available, for grammar, is quite arcane and unfriendly. The other with both grammar and comprehension is in black and white. Which makes it unfriendly too, and boring. Others are there that have colour, but they have inadequate activities especially for final year students who need more practice. A new book with friendly language and interesting, engaging activities is needed.

I am gravitating towards in the next weeks teaming with someone, a fellow teacher of English and literature to complete this project.

However,
My other skill, which I am really good at. Is creative writing fiction and poetry.

Been writing for upto 7 years now. I have written poems and short stories. I started writing because I wanted to. I learned in the process. Writing, reading, improving. I saw my work to some strong statures.

In 2018 I was nominated for the Writivism Short Fiction Award for my debut short story.

Ever since then, writing has been second nature to me. I write everyday.

I have written about a hundred poems and ten short stories and one feature length story. They are mostly already processed. They are ready for sale. I only need to package them and put out there. It would take me only a few days to get this poems and short stories packaged for publishing.

Note that I am treating these written pieces of mine as exclusive from my project of English teaching and English teaching books. I know when they are published they may greatly contribute to my teaching English. But they will be like plugins.

I know there are people out there who love a good story or a good poem or both. Of my dozens of poems there dozens that will catch someone's mind and move their souls. Of the short stories there are those that will spark discussion in the readership. This way I will help my readers cognitively as they may see other ways of perception.

Note that I do focus on these poems and short stories because of the speed with which I may prepare them for the market in comparison to the English book.
If I can't start it in 7 days it's too complicated for me yet.
And money loves speed.

I want that experience of selling something to someone. I can use this as an opportunity to do it and learn what happens out there in the market.

That's my purpose

I Will get to work on the manuscript of poems now.

It is 20:22pm in Uganda.

~Isaac~
I don't know that much about poems and literature. If you have found a true need for this and you can also execute it better than what's already on the market, then you're good.

Now, one problem I see is that you're probably targeting too much work for the week. I don't think you could release something that qualitative in only one week.

You said your goal is just to make a sale. You could try to just test the demand you saw and help someone by selling to him some of your poems (sounds stupid, but can't think of anything else).

Before publishing anything I would just test the need the market has and make only one sale based on that problem. From what you've said, you're planning to release more of a complete product that could be sold at scale, right away

I would personally prefer to test eveything and do it the progressive way. If my primitive solution (like selling my poems to someone, or even posting them on the internet), at it's core made someone say Thank You, then you have your foot in the door.

Last edited:

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I don't know that much about poems and literature. If you have found a true need for this and you can also execute it better than what's already on the market, then you're good.

Now, one problem I see is that you're probably targeting too much work for the week. I don't yhink you could release something that qualitative in only one week.

You said your goal is just to make a sale. You could try to just test the demand you saw and help someone by seeling to him some of your poems (sound stupid, but can't think about anything else).

Before publishing anything I would just test the need the market has and make only one sale based on that problem. From what you've said, you're planning to release more of a complete product that could be sold at scale, right away

I would personally prefer to test eveything and do it the progressive way. If my primitive solution (like selling my poems to someone, or even posting them on the internet), at it's core made someone say Thank You, then you have your foot in the door.
Again thank you for this probing.

I will find ways of testing or ensuring I test.

Possibilities are
#Public reading
#Sampling a part and giving the market
#Entering a contest
#Submitting to a magazine

Public reading and sampling a part and giving the market may suffice.

Otherwise I consider the releasing of them to the market as a form of testing. The response of the market is my feedback, where from I Assess and Adjust.

However,

That poetry and fiction are not pure Fastlane products is obvious. Nobody really needs them. People just enjoy them. Like paintings and other art pieces.

However, they've have been sold over the years. Sometimes they've have sold a huge amount and made millions. I am not an idiot to dream that this is my Fastlane venture. My sole aim is sale.

What writers do to test their products is publish them and see the market's response. Which is either positive or negative. Sometimes it is lukewarm. And they keep writing and testing what they write.

Sometimes a piece of art is rejected yet at later point it explodes in sales and critical acclaim. Emily Dickinson is an example. Faulkner is another example.

I know I have to find something real Fastlane. But as I wait to do so, I'd rather first sell something and get feedback on what I have produced. That feedback impacts what I may produce later.

In writing improvement comes with more writing. And maturity. The passing of time may lead to the refinement of craft.

In fiction authors sometimes do readings to a group and those groups provide feedback. Then the feedback is incorporated onto the piece in question.

Many of these poems are from 2017 and subsequent years. At the time I would write and post on Facebook, WhatsApp and the like. And the response was positive. Though our markets of poetry and fiction are sometimes tricky.

I stopped using Facebook and WhatsApp because of copyright issues that may affect my poems.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Again thank you for this probing.

I will find ways of testing or ensuring I test.

Possibilities are
#Public reading
#Sampling a part and giving the market
#Entering a contest
#Submitting to a magazine

Public reading and sampling a part and giving the market may suffice.

Otherwise I consider the releasing of them to the market as a form of testing. The response of the market is my feedback, where from I Assess and Adjust.

However,

That poetry and fiction are not pure Fastlane products is obvious. Nobody really needs them. People just enjoy them. Like paintings and other art pieces.

However, they've have been sold over the years. Sometimes they've have sold a huge amount and made millions. I am not an idiot to dream that this is my Fastlane venture. My sole aim is sale.

What writers do to test their products is publish them and see the market's response. Which is either positive or negative. Sometimes it is lukewarm. And they keep writing and testing what they write.

Sometimes a piece of art is rejected yet at later point it explodes in sales and critical acclaim. Emily Dickinson is an example. Faulkner is another example.

I know I have to find something real Fastlane. But as I wait to do so, I'd rather first sell something and get feedback on what I have produced. That feedback impacts what I may produce later.

In writing improvement comes with more writing. And maturity. The passing of time may lead to the refinement of craft.

In fiction authors sometimes do readings to a group and those groups provide feedback. Then the feedback is incorporated onto the piece in question.

Many of these poems are from 2017 and subsequent years. At the time I would write and post on Facebook, WhatsApp and the like. And the response was positive. Though our markets of poetry and fiction are sometimes tricky.

I stopped using Facebook and WhatsApp because of copyright issues that may affect my poems.
I consider anything worth paying for Fastlane.
I understand that you want to do something more simple for now, and then go with a Fastlane thing.

But even to the smallest scale, like making one simple sale, I still think that you need to do something Fastline like. At the end of the day you need to help someone for a transaction/sale to take place.

But yeah, I'm not an expert in literature or writing. I think you're fine, if you say that there is demand for those poems and people have enjoyed your works.

So, what are you planning to do ? Release the two books ? What's going with the progress ?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I consider anything worth paying for Fastlane.
I understand that you want to do something more simple for now, and then go with a Fastlane thing.

But even to the smallest scale, like making one simple sale, I still think that you need to do something Fastline like. At the end of the day you need to help someone for a transaction/sale to take place.

But yeah, I'm not an expert in literature or writing. I think you're fine, if you say that there is demand for those poems and people have enjoyed your works.

So, what are you planning to do ? Release the two books ? What's going with the progress ?
Publish,
Get Feedback,
Assess Feedback,
Adjust,
Repeat.

It is rare for a failed piece of art, (written) to be corrected and improved. You just write more stuff and the trajectory goes up towards best whenever you put terrific effort and craft in the writing.

What's my progress
I am completing the collection of the manuscript. Adding some poems I wrote between last year and 2019 that I had not yet added to the list. They are stronger than the ones I wrote earlier.

I need to proceed from here to upload the manuscript on a desired platform and format it there. Cover page design and the like.

I have created an account with SmashWords. Turns out Draft2Digital, that I wanted to avoid has acquired SmashWords. I had to complete an account with D2D as well. Their website is not mobile friendly. I guess I will need to create an account with another platform and compare contrast the different places before deciding.

Went through a list of books on display for sale. The pricing is worth attention. I need to find out what makes a book appear fast on tje display. Because I believe there are thousands of books out there.

~Isaac~

Last edited:

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hello Fastlaners,

I hope you are great

I published my collection of poems on Draft2Digital.

I published on Draft2Digital yesterday afternoon.

Now my task is to gain sales.

That's where my focus now is.

I also began to read The 7 Day Startup. Very practical for Fastlane. Can be applied in any field of interest.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Hello Fastlaners,

I hope you are great

I published my collection of poems on Draft2Digital.

I published on Draft2Digital yesterday afternoon.

Now my task is to gain sales.

That's where my focus now is.

I also began to read The 7 Day Startup. Very practical for Fastlane. Can be applied in any field of interest.
You could try and give some free copies to someone right from the start.

It will just prove the demand for the product. Don't forget that it has to be someone who struggles with that problem. (I still can't understand much of it)

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
You could try and give some free copies to someone right from the start.

It will just prove the demand for the product. Don't forget that it has to be someone who struggles with that problem. (I still can't understand much of it)
If I change the price on Draft2Digital to free, so that people can easily access it, will it ensure readership? That's maybe what I need to test out as you suggest.

Then, afterwards, I may decide whether to monetize it or not, depending on the response of the world. Or I may monetize something that results from it. Or I may move on to something else.

Poems are hardly bought as you said. But good poems may earn one a few rights and privileges here and there. Or even some awards. Point is there are an overwhelming number of poets and poems out there than there are readers of poems. Goodness of the piece is what differentiates.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
If I change the price on Draft2Digital to free, so that people can easily access it, will it ensure readership? That's maybe what I need to test out as you suggest.

Then, afterwards, I may decide whether to monetize it or not, depending on the response of the world. Or I may monetize something that results from it. Or I may move on to something else.

Poems are hardly bought as you said. But good poems may earn one a few rights and privileges here and there. Or even some awards. Point is there are an overwhelming number of poets and poems out there than there are readers of poems. Goodness of the piece is what differentiates.
I was saying that you could just give one or two copies to someone you already know, who is an active reader. But I think that this will work too.

Even if there are more producers than readers, you could probably modify the solution, so it could affect a bigger range of people.

For example, you could add paintings, simplify the content and then sell them as teaching books for children.

You got the point. There are potential use cases for the poems/stories you have.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I was saying that you could just give one or two copies to someone you already know, who is an active reader. But I think that this will work too.

Even if there are more producers than readers, you could probably modify the solution, so it could affect a bigger range of people.

For example, you could add paintings, simplify the content and then sell them as teaching books for children.

You got the point. There are potential use cases for the poems/stories you have.
Thank you very much for taking the time always to respond.

Sure it does affect a big range of people. Which means people should be in position to access them.

My first task should be to get it into the hands of people, at least into the hands of serious readers.

I may make substantial improvements, such incorporating illustrations and getting them out to an audience that buys them.

This may be possible through using editions. So this one I have just created is a first edition. I may now seek to make a second edition.

I may then make

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Thank you very much for taking the time always to respond.

Sure it does affect a big range of people. Which means people should be in position to access them.

My first task should be to get it into the hands of people, at least into the hands of serious readers.

I may make substantial improvements, such incorporating illustrations and getting them out to an audience that buys them.

This may be possible through using editions. So this one I have just created is a first edition. I may now seek to make a second edition.

I may then make
Additionally, I may keep this as free as possible and include a brief biography showing my writing portfolio.

I am a short storist and novelist. I have a long story. I may include a biography in this poetry collection and distribute it wide and large. So that my name spreads out there.

I may as well add contact information to link me with readers. Then I can exploit these in future as I produce more material.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hello Fastlaners

Thanks for following my little steps.

I want to do something all the time.

I published the book of poems and distributed it to people for free. All I wanted was readers. All I wanted was the fact that someone is awed by my poems.

Now I am moving on.

I have decided to design a textbook for ordinary level English.

I have decided to start and finish in 30 days. Starting today. In case of extraneous challenges it has to be only 60 days. But should be worst case scenario.

I am following @Andy Black suggestions.

I teach English. I scored As in English at university. My potential partner teaches English. He scored even more As in English at university.

If my potential partner joins. Very good. If he doesn’t. The road trip is mine. I will take it solely.

This book must have everything. I don't want volumes and volumes. People normally buy the first volume and stop there.

I will pack everything in one book. All relevant topics and material it.

Below is a message I sent my potential partner on WhatsApp this morning. In quotes.

"Boy good morning

As you see above, I knocked off the poetry collection.

However, I haven't sold a copy yet. I am not going to try selling on even.

Therefore, this is my current action plan.

1. Doubledown to the o level English practice book.

2. Create content that maximises the value of grammar practice.

3. Make sure the content is up-to-date and user friendly.

4. Make sure the content is engaging.

5. Make the content, when followed carefully, enhances language proficiency.

6. Entrench comprehension and writing into the content.

7. Comprehension includes all forms of solid material (passages, short stories, poems of various kinds, extracts from classic novels, dialogues, extracts from classic plays)

8. Some of these will be included to ensure Intrinsic learning and growth.

*QUESTIONS*
1. Can I do this in 7 days? I guess the answer is no.

2. Can I do this in 30 days? I guess the yes answer is probable.

3. How much work will I need? A lot, but not enormous. I teach English. I read excessively. I can do the work.

4. Who is my partner? There is only one person I can work with in this, and that's YOU.

5. What should we do? How should we get around? Let's just get to work. Perhaps we may need more frequent communication to accomplish this.

6. How to publish? We can answer this when the book is ready.

7. How to market? Cold mailing with a sample or prototype of the book will work. Booking chairs in conference rooms, seminars and workshops of English Language will add up. We may not need social media marketing and its cousins for this.

8. When? I am starting today. Immediately.

*Let's knock this off once and for all.*

PS
Get back to me soon.
Money loves speed.
Our primary market is Uganda.

*A change*

Social media may end up being useful. Many in the total Addressable market are there."

I already have an agreement in principle with this gentleman.

But if he staggers I won't wait for him. I will simply move.

~Isaac~

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello Fastlaners

Thanks for following my little steps.

I want to do something all the time.

I published the book of poems and distributed it to people for free. All I wanted was readers. All I wanted was the fact that someone is awed by my poems.

Now I am moving on.

I have decided to design a textbook for ordinary level English.

I have decided to start and finish in 30 days. Starting today. In case of extraneous challenges it has to be only 60 days. But should be worst case scenario.

I am following @Andy Black suggestions.

I teach English. I scored As in English at university. My potential partner teaches English. He scored even more As in English at university.

If my potential partner joins. Very good. If he doesn’t. The road trip is mine. I will take it solely.

This book must have everything. I don't want volumes and volumes. People normally buy the first volume and stop there.

I will pack everything in one book. All relevant topics and material it.

Below is a message I sent my potential partner on WhatsApp this morning. In quotes.

"Boy good morning

As you see above, I knocked off the poetry collection.

However, I haven't sold a copy yet. I am not going to try selling on even.

Therefore, this is my current action plan.

1. Doubledown to the o level English practice book.

2. Create content that maximises the value of grammar practice.

3. Make sure the content is up-to-date and user friendly.

4. Make sure the content is engaging.

5. Make the content, when followed carefully, enhances language proficiency.

6. Entrench comprehension and writing into the content.

7. Comprehension includes all forms of solid material (passages, short stories, poems of various kinds, extracts from classic novels, dialogues, extracts from classic plays)

8. Some of these will be included to ensure Intrinsic learning and growth.

*QUESTIONS*
1. Can I do this in 7 days? I guess the answer is no.

2. Can I do this in 30 days? I guess the yes answer is probable.

3. How much work will I need? A lot, but not enormous. I teach English. I read excessively. I can do the work.

4. Who is my partner? There is only one person I can work with in this, and that's YOU.

5. What should we do? How should we get around? Let's just get to work. Perhaps we may need more frequent communication to accomplish this.

6. How to publish? We can answer this when the book is ready.

7. How to market? Cold mailing with a sample or prototype of the book will work. Booking chairs in conference rooms, seminars and workshops of English Language will add up. We may not need social media marketing and its cousins for this.

8. When? I am starting today. Immediately.

*Let's knock this off once and for all.*

PS
Get back to me soon.
Money loves speed.
Our primary market is Uganda.

*A change*

Social media may end up being useful. Many in the total Addressable market are there."

I already have an agreement in principle with this gentleman.

But if he staggers I won't wait for him. I will simply move.

~Isaac~
I think it's an assumption that people only buy one volume. There could also be a market for people who will pay to have a shorter, more focused/specialised version (some people put a value on their time so are put off by long courses/books and will pay for shorter ones).

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I think it's an assumption that people only by one volume. There could also be a market for people who will pay to have a shorter, more focused/specialised version (some people put a value on their time so are put off by long courses/books and will pay for shorter ones).
I love this.

It helps me see whether I have unnecessary biases.

I am actually balancing starting between a shorter version or making a straight long version. I have to decide today whether I make a shorter version first, many short versions or one big one. I don't want hierarchical volumes, for instance book 1, book 2, book 3 and so on. But if I realise it is what works, I won't hesitate to do it.

I had only thought of a version that leads upto the longer one.

But I reckon a smaller version which is more focused may lend itself faster to my 30 days.

The challenge with smaller versions is their inability to ensure learning by practice. Learning by practice is indispensable in language learning. Many books in the market lack this quality. Learning by practice is called language acquisition.

Separation of the content into books, one each of grammar, speaking, writing and reading violates the principles of language learning, which is called language acquisition.

Language acquisition believes in the vitality of linguistic immersion. An environment where a learner is immersed in a linguistic world wherein acquiring competence in the language is more Intrinsic, and relatively subconscious.

Acquiring a language occurs better when these skill are blended and learned together. This is the backbone of my one volume of work. I want these elements to be put into a cocktail that strengthens acquisition of the language.

But I will listen to @Andy Black and factor his suggestion.

The practice is Act, Assess, Adjust, Iterate while current number in USD is less escape number.

~Isaac~

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Separation of the content into books, one each of grammar, speaking, writing and reading violates the principles of language learning, which is called language acquisition.
Then don't separate them out? Make a short book on a short topic to help people with a specific problem.

Off the top of my head:

"Business English: How to introduce yourself."

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
I love this.

It helps me see whether I have unnecessary biases.

I am actually balancing starting between a shorter version or making a straight long version. I have to decide today whether I make a shorter version first, many short versions or one big one. I don't want hierarchical volumes, for instance book 1, book 2, book 3 and so on. But if I realise it is what works, I won't hesitate to do it.

I had only thought of a version that leads upto the longer one.

But I reckon a smaller version which is more focused may lend itself faster to my 30 days.

The challenge with smaller versions is their inability to ensure learning by practice. Learning by practice is indispensable in language learning. Many books in the market lack this quality. Learning by practice is called language acquisition.

Language acquisition believes in the vitality of linguistic immersion. An environment where a learner is immersed in a linguistic world wherein acquiring competence in the language is more Intrinsic, and relatively subconscious.

Acquiring a language occurs better when these skill are blended and learned together. This is the backbone of my one volume of work. I want these elements to be put into a cocktail that strengthens acquisition of the language.

But I will listen to @Andy Black and factor his suggestion.

The practice is Act, Assess, Adjust, Iterate while current number in USD is less escape number.

~Isaac~
Hey, If the problen you're trying to solve is "Improve their English skills, grammar, writing, speaking", you could think of other ways of creating a solution.

Your goal is to help them imrpove their language skill. I don't think that it matters if it's a book or anything else. If it solves the problem (and you prove it!!), then people will buy.

What do you think about creating an online course, doing youtube videos, or cards, games, etc.

I'm just trying to say that the problem matters most, and creating something that truly solves the problem for them.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Then don't separate them out? Make a short book on a short topic to help people with a specific problem.

Off the top of my head:

"Business English: How to introduce yourself."
Thanks Andy

The execution of this suggestion you provide is probable.

However, Currently, our target is students of secondary school and their teachers. These number into a few millions. And there are new ones annually. With proper execution, some thousands will buy.

In Uganda education is highly competitive and the grades of English heavily impact the overall grades. English is a must pass, otherwise a candidate resits.

People have to pass English with distinction or credit for their results to be considered strong.

Yet most times its a national worst performed subject.

I believe the problem with it is in mode of instruction as much as material of instruction. I believe a book of the kind I want to make will alleviate this problems.

It will be hard to find another person willing to dedicate the time and other resources needed to make such a book.

I won't separate them. Grammar and other linguistic phenomena will be hidden in thematic topics.

~Isaac~

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I don't think that it matters if it's a book or anything else. If it solves the problem (and you prove it!!), then people will buy.
Thanks Artiom O;
For this purpose, the book matters. Our target is students who are in preparation for hand written exams.

And the hand written exams lack items for speaking and listening. They only focus on reading and writing.

Engaging learners in conversation is valuable because it makes learning fun and cooperative.

Books can be designed to cater for this.

~Isaac~

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Thanks Artiom O;
For this purpose, the book matters. Our target is students who are in preparation for hand written exams.

And the hand written exams lack items for speaking and listening. They only focus on reading and writing.

Engaging learners in conversation is valuable because it makes learning fun and cooperative.

Books can be designed to cater for this.

~Isaac~
Videos on the other hand may not lend themselves fully to complete learning. Videos may work as support material.

It is a good idea. One I will keep in my plan.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Isaac Odongo ... Start simple. Get something out there and test the market. Follow the echoes.

I posted this video on Facebook and it got a lot of good feedback. I didn't follow it up because that's not the route I wanted to go down. My goal was just to help people, so I recorded it, edited it, and published it.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
@Isaac Odongo ... Start simple. Get something out there and test the market. Follow the echoes.

I posted this video on Facebook and it got a lot of good feedback. I didn't follow it up because that's not the route I wanted to go down. My goal was just to help people, so I recorded it, edited it, and published it.

Thanks @Andy Black for this.

I read the thread you linked. Beautiful tips on math exams. I will share it with available students.

I learned from the video how to prompt continuity by finishing with an equal sign. Yesterday I was writing a rap for a student and putting a word at the beginning of the next line helped to keep the writing going till the end.

Therefore, the tips in the video you share are spot on.

Starting simple.
I love this. This makes me think whether I am complicating matters and whether I can simplify them more. I am simplifying things for the people I want to help or otherwise.

I will answer with these words.

While teaching grammar chunks to ordinary level students , I have learned that explanations are capable of confusing learners. Lengthy explanations of grammar concepts end up confusing these ordinary level learners instead enlightening them.

Examples of how a grammar concept appears in sentences of many different characteristics works astronomically better than detailed explanations of grammar concepts.

I learned this while teaching the concept of inversions to final year students some weeks ago. They had learned this more than once earlier from another teacher but hadn't got it. I taught minimal to no explanations of the concept but numerous examples. Many of the learners were either getting everything correct almost all things right in the test I gave a week later.

The material I have started to make is obedient to this principle of simplicity and brevity while handling language concepts and the principle of comprehension first. There is a rule that if one can learn to communicate in all four ways, and one can expose oneself to the language in use multiple times on a frequent regularity, one will master the language of interest.

My material should have multiple examples as opposed to detailed explanations. Besides, detailed explanations need to follow a mastery of the phenomena in practice. That way the grammatical concept is easier to grasp.

My material also intends to include passages and poems and activities to enhance comprehension.

But I will double down to what helps another but is simpler to make.

~Isaac~

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I am probably in an emotional state where I should not write such a comment, but the whole JLE vs the world discussion is really getting to me.

It is so easy to say the issue are excuses and that it is a mindset issue. My whole experience with mindset is that it is a result of your circumstances.
Yanking your mindset elsewhere gets you excited for 10 seconds and you are back in the gutter once reality catches up again.

The suggestions I see here are non actionable bs advice. All I see is virtue signalling, nobody who really takes the profound issues seriously.

I pretty much walked back from the grave with a ton of debt, a broken body and soul, and an actual inability to work due to my health condition flaring from physical/mental exhaustion.

So I adapted and now I'm doing much, much better than all of my peers. It wasn't easy, I felt alone, and nobody could really relate to my experience. A lot of it felt like walking through a dark tunnel without a flashlight but I did it anyway.

I felt like telling people off for not getting my situation. But all that does is provide an excuse for you to wallow in pity forever.

But hear this. There was a story shared here—I'm having a hard time finding it—but it was about a guy who got paralyzed from a car crash and couldn't move his legs. Then, he somehow got into another car crash and he could now only use his VOICE and nothing else.

At the same time, due to his not being able to move (nor breathe well), the guy got pneumonia about 15 times in 2 years and his mother had to punch his ribcage all day for weeks so he could have a chance at living. He got through each and everyone one of those bouts of pneumonia even though his chances were low.

But the most stunning fact about the guy is that he managed to build a 7-figure business in those two years with just his VOICE and some software to help him navigate a computer! Last I read about him, he moved to Mexico in a nice house where hot caretakers see to his wellbeing.

So tell me, again, what are these profound issues you have that stop you from being successful?

Honestly, you have the same victim mentality and external locus of control as my mother. I'm trying so hard to help her see THE way out, and I've made some progress, but it's so ingrained in her that it feels like I'm trying to pry out a titanium door with a wooden stick.

Here's something to think about:

Nothing will get better for you until you give yourself permission to expect better things. Not hope, but expect.

In fact, I've found that the best combination for success in anything is taking action (regardless of the objective quality of said actions) and expecting things to work out even when your past experiences have conditioned you otherwise.

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Jan 14, 2023

I read the thread you linked. Beautiful tips on math exams. I will share it with available students.

I learned from the video how to prompt continuity by finishing with an equal sign. Yesterday I was writing a rap for a student and putting a word at the beginning of the next line helped to keep the writing going till the end.

Starting simple.
I love this. This makes me think whether I am complicating matters and whether I can simplify them more. I am simplifying things for the people I want to help or otherwise.

While teaching grammar chunks to ordinary level students , I have learned that explanations are capable of confusing learners. Lengthy explanations of grammar concepts end up confusing these ordinary level learners instead enlightening them.

Examples of how a grammar concept appears in sentences of many different characteristics works astronomically better than detailed explanations of grammar concepts.

I learned this while teaching the concept of inversions to final year students some weeks ago. They had learned this more than once earlier from another teacher but hadn't got it. I taught minimal to no explanations of the concept but numerous examples. Many of the learners were either getting everything correct almost all things right in the test I gave a week later.

The material I have started to make is obedient to this principle of simplicity and brevity while handling language concepts and the principle of comprehension first. There is a rule that if one can learn to communicate in all four ways, and one can expose oneself to the language in use multiple times on a frequent regularity, one will master the language of interest.

My material should have multiple examples as opposed to detailed explanations. Besides, detailed explanations need to follow a mastery of the phenomena in practice. That way the grammatical concept is easier to grasp.

My material also intends to include passages and poems and activities to enhance comprehension.

~Isaac~

Starting simple.

~Isaac~
I have been meaning to get to this thread, but my new business venture, coupled with teaching keeps me engaged most of the time.

I will however get straight to the point.I am a teacher of English and Literature in Uganda, so @Isaac Odongo, this is your market talking.

If I had to make a sale this week, I would drop your idea of a textbook or whatever you are planning to churn out.

Why?

At my school, the library is full of " a simplified this, a concise that, the sure guide to..."you get my point. The students and teachers rarely use them.

What is in demand then?

With the new lower secondary curriculum, teachers are having a hard time coming up with activities of integration and ideas for projects. Even when we have the ideas, getting the guiding pictures is not easy.

Since you are computer literate, why not study the different topics and provide alternative activities of integration?You don't have to limit yourself to English and Literature. You could eventually look into other subjects like CRE and History.

Become the expert in this new curriculum thing and you will sell like a hot cake.

As a head of the department of Languages, I would recommend the purchase of books that ease teachers' pain about the new curriculum.

That is my two CENTS.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I have been meaning to get to this thread, but my new business venture, coupled with teaching keeps me engaged most of the time.

I will however get straight to the point.I am a teacher of English and Literature in Uganda, so @Isaac Odongo, this is your market talking.

If I had to make a sale this week, I would drop your idea of a textbook or whatever you are planning to churn out.

Why?

At my school, the library is full of " a simplified this, a concise that, the sure guide to..."you get my point. The students and teachers rarely use them.

What is in demand then?

With the new lower secondary curriculum, teachers are having a hard time coming up with activities of integration and ideas for projects. Even when we have the ideas, getting the guiding pictures is not easy.

Since you are computer literate, why not study the different topics and provide alternative activities of integration?You don't have to limit yourself to English and Literature. You could eventually look into other subjects like CRE and History.

Become the expert in this new curriculum thing and you will sell like a hot cake.

As a head of the department of Languages, I would recommend the purchase of books that ease teachers' pain about the new curriculum.

That is my two CENTS.
Thanks very much @Awakened2022

Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to write this.

I will get back in a valuable later today or early tomorrow.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I pretty much walked back from the grave with a ton of debt, a broken body and soul, and an actual inability to work due to my health condition flaring from physical/mental exhaustion.

So I adapted and now I'm doing much, much better than all of my peers. It wasn't easy, I felt alone, and nobody could really relate to my experience. A lot of it felt like walking through a dark tunnel without a flashlight but I did it anyway.

I felt like telling people off for not getting my situation. But all that does is provide an excuse for you to wallow in pity forever.

But hear this. There was a story shared here—I'm having a hard time finding it—but it was about a guy who got paralyzed from a car crash and couldn't move his legs. Then, he somehow got into another car crash and he could now only use his VOICE and nothing else.

At the same time, due to his not being able to move (nor breathe well), the guy got pneumonia about 15 times in 2 years and his mother had to punch his ribcage all day for weeks so he could have a chance at living. He got through each and everyone one of those bouts of pneumonia even though his chances were low.

But the most stunning fact about the guy is that he managed to build a 7-figure business in those two years with just his VOICE and some software to help him navigate a computer! Last I read about him, he moved to Mexico in a nice house where hot caretakers see to his wellbeing.

So tell me, again, what are these profound issues you have that stop you from being successful?

Honestly, you have the same victim mentality and external locus of control as my mother. I'm trying so hard to help her see THE way out, and I've made some progress, but it's so ingrained in her that it feels like I'm trying to pry out a titanium door with a wooden stick.

Here's something to think about:

Nothing will get better for you until you give yourself permission to expect better things. Not hope, but expect.

In fact, I've found that the best combination for success in anything is taking action (regardless of the objective quality of said actions) and expecting things to work out even when your past experiences have conditioned you otherwise.
I don't get it. Probably a lot ... no, all of what I am trying to say gets lost in translation to forum post text.

I saw this as a thread that asks where people are on their journey towards their first sale and how they feel at the moment.

Yeah, I suppose that is not the case. This is just broadcasting but please shut up or else you are whining. Fine.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

@Isaac Odongo I love your posts; they are PERFECT for this thread.

You have a clearly defined skill and value add. You have a great market. And you are taking consistent action.

I believe if you lean into your skills of providing English education to a market that wants and needs it, in particular, you can make a great deal of money, on top of writing poetry and fiction as you are already doing.

Your action is inspiring.

Keep it up, my friend!

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
@Isaac Odongo I love your posts; they are PERFECT for this thread.

You have a clearly defined skill and value add. You have a great market. And you are taking consistent action.

I believe if you lean into your skills of providing English education to a market that wants and needs it, in particular, you can make a great deal of money, on top of writing poetry and fiction as you are already doing.

Your action is inspiring.

Keep it up, my friend!
Thanks @thechosen1 for the encouragement, the warmth. It is a kind of echo.

Thanks to @Andy Black who emphasises helping others and starting from what you know. What is already paying your bills.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Why?

The above is intriguing in two ways.

Firstly, does it mean the students and teachers won't buy another textbook, even if it is better than ones currently in their libraries?
I don't know. Only the market itself can answer this.

Could it be that the current books in the libraries as @Awakened2022 names are rarely used because they over promised and under delivered? Such that the market feels they suck.
Then, in that case, how will the market respond to another book, assuming that another book is not an over hyped flirt, but a true productocracy? Will the market love a good book that really helps them?
Only the market may know the answer to this as well.

With the new lower secondary curriculum, teachers are having a hard time coming up with activities of integration and ideas for projects. Even when we have the ideas, getting the guiding pictures is not easy
Great point there.

Questions are:

Are the teachers willing to pay money for a book with ideas for Activities of Integration and projects? Are they going to part with their money for such a product?

Saying yes alone is not enough. The action of actually paying money for something matters. Just because people say something is good may not translate to them paying for it.
The market has the answer too.

In case they are not willing to pay, will I comfortable helping them? I don't know.

Thank you.

This point is strong.

How long does it take to make this guide on AOIs and Projects?

That's my question to answer.

Should I switch from Textbook to a guide on AOIs and projects?

That's another of my questions to answer.

Does the revised curriculum mean that learners and teachers will no longer buy other books?
The market has the answer, and I think I it is a NO.

I have seen some pretty flirty information claiming to be approved by National Curriculum Development Center (NCDC). And schools are buying them. The books have no real value, but schools are buying them. What if I put in my resources and make something of value, that may help others?
Only the market can answer.

~Isaac~

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.