The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane ideas are very hard to find

Idea threads

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
I've been wanting to work on a new project so bad that it's killing me.

My problem is I can't find a good idea.

My skill is SEO. For some reason, I couldn't come up with a good idea to save my life. I desperately want a job in SEO, but that'll take 4 more years to get my degree first.

In the meantime, what kind of process could I use to find a good idea to work on? I've checked the INE threads and couldn't find anything SEO-related or anything that felt like it would work for me.

Does anyone know of good ideas in SEO that I could work on? Or how I could find one?

I just need a chance to implement my SEO skills. I don't really care what the product is, I just need the chance to work my SEO magic. And no, I'm not actually magic, I can't rank for "best gambling site" or whatever the most difficult keywords are, but I am pretty good and I really enjoy it.

I just need to create a simple product in a non-SEO-related industry and rank it well. The problem is, I don't have a product and I'm horrible at coming up with product ideas. What could I sell in an industry like Law where nobody knows a thing about SEO? ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019

My skill is SEO. For some reason, I couldn't come up with a good idea to save my life. I desperately want a job in SEO, but that'll take 4 more years to get my degree first.

In the meantime, what kind of process could I use to find a good idea to work on? I've checked the INE threads and couldn't find anything SEO-related or anything that felt like it would work for me.

Does anyone know of good ideas in SEO that I could work on? Or how I could find one?

I just need a chance to implement my SEO skills. I don't really care what the product is, I just need the chance to work my SEO magic.
Cold call a few local business offering to improve their Google rankings. Everyone would love to be first, so I'm sure you can find some customers this way.
Charge a monthly fee to keep them at the top and you have some recurring revenue every month.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Cold call a few local business offering to improve their Google rankings. Everyone would love to be first, so I'm sure you can find some customers this way.
Charge a monthly fee to keep them at the top and you have some recurring revenue every month.
That sounds like a great idea. Dunno why I didn't think of that. Thanks

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Help people who need SEO.

I don't wanna sound harsh, but you're looking for someone else to do the thinking for you. Please don't criticize any ideas that come up in your mind without testing them firsthand.

And Chat GPT can do thinking as well. You just need to be more creative and detailed with prompts.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Go find a problem, and figure out a solution.
That's the idea you're looking for.

Or simply pay attention and see what people are already spending their money on. Can you improve that product or service?

If yes, congratulations. You are in business.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
The idea of an idea needing to be fastlane before you start is your own mental barrier holding you back. Ideas can evolve over time, and something that wasn't once fastlane can become fastlane down the road, or it might lead to a different business that is.

What's more important is that you get your hands dirty now, not wait 4 years for your degree (mental block #2) to start helping people and businesses.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023

I was in a very similar situation to you.

What helped for me was setting down some ground rules.

WHO are you helping? And WHY are you helping them? (Thanks @Andy Black )

Then ideas start flowing.

In the meantime, what kind of process could I use to find a good idea to work on?

No process on the face of this planet will tell you exactly what YOU need to do.

YOU need to tell yourself what to do.

You can learn a hundred and one different 'methods' that gurus pledge will make you millions by day X, but those methods are like lottery tickets, used once and discarded.

That's why TMF and Unscripted are good, they teach timeless principles which can be used again and again.

Don't want to sound woo-woo and all, but you really are unique. Use the knowledge you have gained so far to try new things, experiment and help others. The simpler it is the better

theazizmoh_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 29, 2022

I just need a chance to implement my SEO skills. I don't really care what the product is, I just need the chance to work my SEO magic. And no, I'm not actually magic, I can't rank for "best gambling site" or whatever the most difficult keywords are, but I am pretty good and I really enjoy it.

I just need to create a simple product in a non-SEO-related industry and rank it well. The problem is, I don't have a product and I'm horrible at coming up with product ideas. What could I sell in an industry like Law where nobody knows a thing about SEO? ;)
Sell SEO services to your local market.

Improve their Google search rankings.

I can guarantee most of them need some SEO help.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You're probably being too picky. Just do something.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
@DistressedDenim bro there's a guy on this forum who will become a centi-millionaire from cutting grass

you need to fix how you see the world

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ This. Although I'd start by asking everyone you already know if they know anyone who might need help with SEO and getting more leads from their website.

These might help:

Also... stop looking for "ideas", and for the love of God please don't study for 4 years to give yourself permission to help someone this week.

Who will you help THIS week?

beres8011

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 2, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
That sounds like a great idea. Dunno why I didn't think of that. Thanks
I would like to tweak this suggestion. Choose an area of town that might have possible clients, park your car and go door to door offering your service. Often a face to face contact is better than a phone contact. This sytem is slower but might generte more solid leads.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
There's a degree for SEO? Lol.

Rank a site. Any site. If you don't have one, buy a domain and hosting, and then get the website ranked.

SEO is always in high demand, but there's also a metric F*ckload of scamming, so most businesses/owners are hesitant to hire SEO people.

You need to have a lot of social credibility to be successful with SEO (unless you're taking 5$/hr jobs). But if SEO is all you do, getting said credibility won't be difficult, but it will take time.

Your focus now should be perfecting your SEO strategies and emphasizing networking.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
I'm doing SEO for a carpet cleaning business now. I will update this thread on how it goes.

Anway, I noticed today that the idea I was working on 6 years ago has a quick fix that I didn't think about that's now on the market. I was building a dog-proof trash can that *actually works*, because the ones on Amazon had horrible reviews, and I was wasting my time thinking about how to make a mold that actually withstands a dog knocking it over. Turns out I could've just done this instead; Amazon Link

Basically, they put the trash can inside a cabinet, and the cabinet door just opens to a trash can, lol.

I didn't think of that, I was trying to find a way to make the plastic design withstand a dog knocking it over instead, which would cost a large amount of money in manufacturing as opposed to simply putting it in a cabinet and selling the cabinet.

Just shows there's always a way to think smarter about something that doesn't instantly come to mind.

Funky Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 3, 2022

I would highly recommend the ideation bootcamp by Sam Parr or you could piece meal a good amount of the stuff he has from the pod or his newsletters. It basically boils down to looking at trends like similarweb traffic,google trends,reddit reviews,etc ; checking out annual reports; checking out ads; and other stuff. You could also deep dive into a random industry by talking with them and offering to just watch them for free to help build something.

MJ also has a few passages on looking for ideas that you might wanna re read.

As for SEO not gonna lie to you that isn't something I would even pursue for the next year. GPTs will make it really difficult for SEO to be meaningful.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Go find a problem, and figure out a solution.
That's the idea you're looking for.

Or simply pay attention and see what people are already spending their money on. Can you improve that product or service?

If yes, congratulations. You are in business.
Can't be said enough.
Once I started meeting local business owners and hearing their stories it couldn't be more apparent.
Take inventory of your skills and work- or keep an open ear for problems.

One acquaintance of mine was originally a sales rep but had a lot of family members and friends b!tching about how difficult it was to clear crap out of their homes and get it to the dump.
He started offering to remove junk and drive it to the dump in his pickup truck. Did so well on the weekends in 5 months that he turned all of his profits over into getting a box truck to take it full time and quit his job. He's only been doing it for about a year at this point but he has a solid 2-3 jobs a day clearing about 14k a month in revenue and he only has one employee aside himself.

What are pains that you run across everyday, or that others do, that you think you can solve?

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I'm doing SEO for a carpet cleaning business now. I will update this thread on how it goes.

Anway, I noticed today that the idea I was working on 6 years ago has a quick fix that I didn't think about that's now on the market. I was building a dog-proof trash can that *actually works*, because the ones on Amazon had horrible reviews, and I was wasting my time thinking about how to make a mold that actually withstands a dog knocking it over. Turns out I could've just done this instead; Amazon Link

Basically, they put the trash can inside a cabinet, and the cabinet door just opens to a trash can, lol.

I didn't think of that, I was trying to find a way to make the plastic design withstand a dog knocking it over instead, which would cost a large amount of money in manufacturing as opposed to simply putting it in a cabinet and selling the cabinet.

Just shows there's always a way to think smarter about something that doesn't instantly come to mind.
If someone is already selling it, good. That means your idea works. Don't think you can't outcompete it. You can be 2nd in the market but still secure a good chunk of market share.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
I hate to be a downer, but part of your problem may be that you're limiting yourself to SEO solutions simply because that's your current skill-set. The key word is "current": you should be looking for problems first, and then worry about how you will adapt your skill-set to solve the problem. I'm not saying there aren't SEO problems to solve, but don't limit your vision to them. You might end up staring through binoculars pointed at the sky while right next to you is a potential customer begging for you to take his or her money to solve a non-SEO problem. Just a thought.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Well, I just landed a huge SEO project where I'm 100% sure I can rank the business in question for multiple counties, as opposed to the one small city that they're currently ranked in. I have a meeting in a week with them to secure the deal.

It's a really simple fix too. If I get the deal they will be mind-blown with their results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.