The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Everything You Need to Know About Sales: Part 1

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you consider yourself a salesperson?

• Yes

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
@axiom
@Ubermensch

Guys, thanks for the response. The format is excellent as well. When you hear someone's voice talking about this, and addressing you personally, then it brings a whole other level of motivation to the table versus just reading it in a thread. You took time out of your day to discuss something I said. I now feel as if failing to act on this would not only be a disservice to myself but borderline insulting to both of you as well.

@OVOvince
Quick question for you: When you approached your supplier who did you seek out as your contact? Director of Sales? Some similar title?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Ooohkay so updates,

I got in contact with the Channel Marketing Manager for Australia's biggest LED supplier. I did tell HR that I was enquiring about a sales position, I guess I feel like they are going to cuddle me into a salary/sales job where what I want is what Uber outlines about asking for 100% commission and a cut of the net % profits. I'm not very confident on how to bring that up confidently so I'm going to play through scenarios in my mind about how I should position it.

I don't think there are really energy brokers in Australia I can't find hardly any jobs in that area, So i made a list of 10 or so electricity companies and i've been trying to contact them. I feel like searching for them on LinkedIn then sending them a message works, but I'll try contact afew more directly tomorrow.

My end goal is to have like, 5-10 different product niches to do with construction/energy that I can learn so I can contact businesses and show them multiple options on how to save them money through replacing different things in their building.

Any feedback and advice welcomed, I've read spin selling, Winning through intimidation and am still looking for the audiobook of rainmaker.
I've got the art of wall book and the 50 laws of power, why do you recommend dr haha lung, I might check him out too. Is it the same sorta ancient warrior war strategies thing

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
Hey @Cyriex,

Thanks for listening in.

Just checked out the book you recommended. Seems good. The real money in sales (especially when you're a one man show) is in high ticket items. So I can definitely sense that there will be some golden nuggets in there. Thanks for the recommendation!

HA! I check out Wall Street Oasis every once in a while. Never knew you were posting stuff on there.

As for Wall Street Playboys, I love those guys! They drop true, no fluff wisdom, left and right. I have yet to find another blog like theirs. Do you know any?

They recommended this one: https://illimitablemen.com/ Started following them too. Ever seen it?

But enough about blogs. It's back to the grind! (haha)

You seem to be on the same page as me and @Ubermensch. We've been wanting to get on a call with other fellow fastlaners who share the same mindset. Lets get on a call soon, brother!

- Thiago
i come form the finance/Hedge fund industry...and i can tell OP has no real experience with them. It sounds great in theory but the fact about 300 Hedge Funds go bust every year. If you pitch to institutions/ high net-worth investors you have about a 1:300 chance of getting capital form them. And then you have to jump through hoops to keep them. It's simply too hard, too much competition and you are too late. You can look at SAC, Warren Buffet, Symmons, etc with billions under management they are the exception and they set up 30+ years ago.

I too dreamt of running a Hedge Fund....after may years of trying i am forced to change tact.

Competition is about 90% of the game.

Oh and the cost of running a Hedge Fund in the USA these days is way over $1m per annum. So unless you manage at least $200m+...don't bother.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
Ooohkay so updates,

I got in contact with the Channel Marketing Manager for Australia's biggest LED supplier. I did tell HR that I was enquiring about a sales position, I guess I feel like they are going to cuddle me into a salary/sales job where what I want is what Uber outlines about asking for 100% commission and a cut of the net % profits. I'm not very confident on how to bring that up confidently so I'm going to play through scenarios in my mind about how I should position it.

I don't think there are really energy brokers in Australia I can't find hardly any jobs in that area, So i made a list of 10 or so electricity companies and i've been trying to contact them. I feel like searching for them on LinkedIn then sending them a message works, but I'll try contact afew more directly tomorrow.

My end goal is to have like, 5-10 different product niches to do with construction/energy that I can learn so I can contact businesses and show them multiple options on how to save them money through replacing different things in their building.

Any feedback and advice welcomed, I've read spin selling, Winning through intimidation and am still looking for the audiobook of rainmaker.
I've got the art of wall book and the 50 laws of power, why do you recommend dr haha lung, I might check him out too. Is it the same sorta ancient warrior war strategies thing

Advice on what? Whatever you think you have....they get pitched numerous times a day and will have full-time, long term employees doing it. When they roll their eyes...you now know why.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Advice on what? Whatever you think you have....they get pitched numerous times a day and will have full-time, long term employees doing it. When they roll their eyes...you now know why.

Mate, that was constructive wasn't it. I bet you feel great contributing. Everyone has to start somewhere and I can just tell from your negativity you haven't even started.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
it's not about being constructive..it's about being real..So unless the advice offered fits in with your dream scenario it's negative? How old are you may I ask? You do not want advice you want to be spoon fed. If that piece of advice sent you into such a frenzy...you need to look at your-self and the questions you are asking. Nothing personal. Take it maturely or not.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Mate, that was constructive wasn't it. I bet you feel great contributing. Everyone has to start somewhere and I can just tell from your negativity you haven't even started.

Meh.

Better for you to get beat up in this thread - by a DUDE that calls himself "mom" - than in the real world, by a real prospect.

There are some negotiation tactics and other methods to guarantee that you get set up as an agent receiving a % of net profits.

In the case of LED's that percentage should be 40% - 60%, or you got played.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

He's not selling them a product or service; he's selling them his business development services.

LED suppliers are always looking for new sales agents. However, they only want to play with "legit" players, individuals that can actually drive new business.

Players talk a certain way, act a certain way, negotiate a certain way.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
He's not selling them a product or service; he's selling them his business development services.

LED suppliers are always looking for new sales agents. However, they only want to play with "legit" players, individuals that can actually drive new business.

Players talk a certain way, act a certain way, negotiate a certain way.
Yes..I know this.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@axiom
@Ubermensch

Guys, thanks for the response. The format is excellent as well. When you hear someone's voice talking about this, and addressing you personally, then it brings a whole other level of motivation to the table versus just reading it in a thread. You took time out of your day to discuss something I said. I now feel as if failing to act on this would not only be a disservice to myself but borderline insulting to both of you as well.

@OVOvince
Quick question for you: When you approached your supplier who did you seek out as your contact? Director of Sales? Some similar title?

Yep director of sales

you can target any upper level management though unless they are strictly tech/engineering

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Cool. I reached out to a company today that I found in tech that I think you'll be able to make six figures at which is my first goal. Will post updates about this here.

I've put together a CV and cover letter structure and would be awesome if someone would like to take a look and give specific pointers of improvement.

And maybe post the points here in the forum for others to learn from. I would like to see specific results posted here from testing all ideas mentioned in the recording. That would be really helpful.

Update?

This thread only carries true value if people start posting about deals they've closed, and money they've made.

Let's fill this thread with real-life business.

Two-thirds of the respondents to the poll identify as sales-people.

To the other 1/3, they all might as well leave.

This thread - like coffee - is for closers only.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Ubermensch
I will have something to contribute to this thread in a month or two.
Update?

This thread only carries true value if people start posting about deals they've closed, and money they've made.

Let's fill this thread with real-life business.

I'm not in construction, I'm in consumer products. I've been almost 100% B2C to this point. I've been working this month on getting wholesale deals.

I closed 4 new accounts this week, bringing me up to 16 total stores. 5 are pending sample review, 5 are *this* close to closing, and 18-20 look like they will pull the trigger soon... they just need some more follow up. These are not 7-figure deals... more like mid 3-figures LOL.

I have one more government safety certification to get squared away, which will hopefully be ready this week, and then I'll have everything I need to go after the big chains.

Takeaways from my experience so far:
  • People are out there looking for a vendor that sells what I sell... they just need someone to say "Hey, I sell that".
  • Follow-up until the lead gives you an order, or a "not at this time". Don't accept a non-response. Several people didn't get back to me until the 3rd or 4th follow up, and then they placed an order.
  • Some stores have no loyalty to their current vendors. I've converted several by showing them a better offer. Fortunately for me, I just found that my biggest competitor has every one of their stores on the "store locator" page of their site. I will report back on what percentage of these I am able to switch to my company.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Glad to hear it.

Listen to Part Three (the final part) here:

This is honestly my favorite recording that we've done so far. We didn't just have fun; I think we hit on some real truths, and I'm confident that the truly ambitious salespeople out there will relate.

Today is April 15th, sales warriors.

There are ten business days left in this month. What did you do this month to fill your pipeline with leads you can close?

No matter what position you're in, you need to be filling your pipeline.

If you're @OVOvince or @welshmin (we talk about welshmin's thread, right after talking about @Andy Black 's comment about "working for the person who controls the invoice") you need to fill your pipeline with many different businesses, all vying to sign with YOU. You want to make businesses compete over you, so that they give you a competitive commission rate. You can ask for anywhere between 10% and 90% net profit fee for selling. If you have a pipeline full of companies, you can play them against each other and demand a higher rate.

If you already have a business you're selling for (either your own or someone else's), you need to be filling your pipeline with leads that you can close.

The more leads you have, the more business you will get. It's a numbers game, and if you're not filling your pipeline, you're losing.

At the end of the day, sales is really simple. Play the numbers game. Fill the pipeline, and the closing will take care of itself.
Thanks for the shoutout(s) guys.

I've listened to a few of your calls. You're getting into a rhythm now, so kudos on getting started and keeping going. I'm enjoying them, and learning some good stuff.

Yes, one of my favourite lines is "Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

Another favourite is by Mother Teresa: "Never worry about numbers. Help people one at a time, and start with the person nearest to you."

I think they dove-tail into each other very well.

There's a pattern amongst all the calls and PMs I have with people, where they wonder how to make money or start a business.

I got started in my current business by helping someone I *already* knew, make more sales.

I didn't need to be an expert. I just needed to help someone. And to do that I had to GTF out of my own way and just START.

(I did a video/thread about "You don't need to be an expert.")

Agree with what you said in this episode about our job is not to DO the work.

I only really understood recently that our job as the owner of our own business is to GET the work. Our job is to make the sales (whether we do it ourselves or hire for it).

I've been a coal-face techie for too long, so it wasn't until I outsourced my technical work that I realised my real work is to *generate* the work.

For me, I'm not a million miles away from where I would like to be as a salesman. I was a techie contractor for 10+ years, which relies on me selling continuously - to get the contract, and to get the contract extension.

Funny too that you mention sales vs "online marketing" in this particular call. I don't consider myself an online guy. I generate leads for clients online, but I get my own clients through good old talking to people - in person over a coffee, on Skype around the world, etc.

And yes, we're all in sales, pretty much all the time we do anything. We're either selling (influencing) someone else, or ourselves.

And that learning about "we work for whoever signs our time sheet or approves the purchase order/invoice and NOT the business" - well that was a real eye opener when that was drummed into me. I was out drinking with a couple of contractor buddies and didn't get it. We had a big heated debate until the penny dropped for me. It was a big aha moment.

Keep up the good work.

PS: Now I understand why that 500+ LinkedIn thread was created...

PPS: I voted I *was* a salesman.

PPS: I'm "smart", but not "hungry". I am however extremely driven... to help people. So we'll see where that takes me. ;)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Funny too that you mention sales vs "online marketing" in this particular call. I don't consider myself an online guy. I generate leads for clients online, but I get my own clients through good old talking to people - in person over a coffee, on Skype around the world, etc.

Andy, I've been following your YouTube videos ever since you put them out and I absolutely LOVE them.

Sales wise, this one video you made stuck with me.

It's all about making them an offer they can't refuse, and honestly, who in their right mind as a business owner turns down highly qualified leads (money)? lol.

Thanks for everything!

- Thiago

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, I've been following your YouTube videos ever since you put them out and I absolutely LOVE them.

Sales wise, this one video you made stuck with me.

It's all about making them an offer they can't refuse, and honestly, who in their right mind as a business owner turns down highly qualified leads (money)? lol.

Thanks for everything!

- Thiago
Oh yes. That's a good little story that I tell quite often. It's the culmination of years of screwing up, so hopefully it will help people get there quicker.

Glad you "got it" too. So many people don't and just stare blankly at me (or argue that I'm "over-complicating" it - wtf??).

Thanks for the kind words about the videos. Always good to hear they're helpful. I'll be starting back at them soon enough.

Go team producer! ;)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Axiom and @Ubermensch recording:

Closers Are a Dying Breed

Cliffnotes:
  • Talking about closers.

• A closer is someone who wants something so badly that they’re willing to do what it takes to get it.

• Everything is sales - Andy Black.

• Closers are an endangered species.

• If we want it done right, we have to do it ourselves.

• How can we live in a society when people don’t get off their a$$ for $10k, $50k, $100k, or $500k?

• People don’t want to do any extra work

• Makes you realize all the people around you that can’t close.

• Dealing with CEOs and presidents of mid-large sized companies

• All of the numbers are right there for them to see.

• Living by example; After these strategic partners see what I’ve done, they won’t have a choice.

• Just need a taste of the money.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I'm taking action in the form of cold calling. I'm running into lots of uncooperative gate keepers. Any advice on dealing with them? So far I'm just being polite and trying to call early or late when secretaries etc might not be there.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I'm taking action in the form of cold calling. I'm running into lots of uncooperative gate keepers. Any advice on dealing with them? So far I'm just being polite and trying to call early or late when secretaries etc might not be there.
What are you selling and where are you selling it?

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
What are you selling and where are you selling it?

Axiom,
I'm in the Houston area. Calling Sales Directors of general contracting firms to see if they'll agree to work with me as an independent, commission based, sales rep for their services. Interested in doing this to try to learn more about the construction business while I figure out how to get a piece of the pie. So far, all I've gotten is "he's in a meeting, can I take message?".

That gets old after about the thirtieth time in a day. I understand some people are busy, but surely this guy isn't booked solid for the next five weeks. I've got the names and office locations of some of these guys. I'm under the impression that it's considered rude to just show up without an appointment, but that might be my next move. Any feedback?

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Axiom,
I'm in the Houston area. Calling Sales Directors of general contracting firms to see if they'll agree to work with me as an independent, commission based, sales rep for their services. Interested in doing this to try to learn more about the construction business while I figure out how to get a piece of the pie. So far, all I've gotten is "he's in a meeting, can I take message?".

That gets old after about the thirtieth time in a day. I understand some people are busy, but surely this guy isn't booked solid for the next five weeks. I've got the names and office locations of some of these guys. I'm under the impression that it's considered rude to just show up without an appointment, but that might be my next move. Any feedback?

If you're not careful, working with the wrong GC can lead to months of wasted time, with zero return.

Dealing with construction companies can be a horrible pain in the a$$, if you're not talking to a profit-motivated individual.

The industry is filled with managers comfortably earning six-figures, with no desire to change. Realize that most of the industry is filled with slow laners.

This is precisely why the industry is poised for extreme disruption.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you're not careful, working with the wrong GC can lead to months of wasted time, with zero return.

Dealing with construction companies can be a horrible pain in the a$$, if you're not talking to a profit-motivated individual.

The industry is filled with managers comfortably earning six-figures, with no desire to change. Realize that most of the industry is filled with slow laners.

This is precisely why the industry is poised for extreme disruption.
Often, the best ones to help are "already in motion". They might be the ones with a big Yellow Pages listing, or an AdWords campaign. This shows they already understand "ROI". They don't need convincing that spending a bit to make more is a good idea.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Often, the best ones to help are "already in motion". They might be the ones with a big Yellow Pages listing, or an AdWords campaign. This shows they already understand "ROI". They don't need convincing that spending a bit to make more is a good idea.

Many of the uninitiated understand "ROI" well. Some of them have revenues of tens of millions or even hundreds of millions.

At the end of the day, @RahKnee and @axiom and anyone else out in the industry needs to be talking to CEO's.

If not, you'll get some bitch a$$ 20% - 30% agreement.

The novices usually erase themselves off of the board before they ever get started. They don't go to the CEO (act like a King to be treated as one) to talk to business.

Subordinates (subs) negotiate with other subs.

Don't be an emasculated sub.

You want that big boy money, don't you? So talk big money talk with the CEO, and settle for nothing less.

Cold calling is hard enough. Why make the problem worse by cold-calling from a weak position?

Play the game.

Make good moves.

Play to win.

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
So, let me get this straight. English is not my native language and maybe things in America go a bit different, but this is how it works:

1) You go to company A and you tell them you will sell their stuff. In return you get a % of net profits resulting from the sale.
2) You visit/call other companies, tell them you represent company A, and try to sell them their stuff.

You can also do this again and again with different companies because you're independent. So you can sell company A's stuff to company B, and later also sell them some stuff from company C.

So you basically hustle around and get this huge network of products you can pitch. For example in energy efficiency you could pitch solar panels, window film, LED lights - each supplied by a different company. So you walk up to a company and say, "hey what about making your company energy efficient? I'll hook you up with LED lights, solar panels, and window film."

I guess that sums it up - you're basically the guy "who knows that guy who can hook you up", and you take a percentage of each transaction.

Is this how it works?

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
So, let me get this straight. English is not my native language and maybe things in America go a bit different, but this is how it works:

1) You go to company A and you tell them you will sell their stuff. In return you get a % of net profits resulting from the sale.
2) You visit/call other companies, tell them you represent company A, and try to sell them their stuff.

You can also do this again and again with different companies because you're independent. So you can sell company A's stuff to company B, and later also sell them some stuff from company C.

So you basically hustle around and get this huge network of products you can pitch. For example in energy efficiency you could pitch solar panels, window film, LED lights - each supplied by a different company. So you walk up to a company and say, "hey what about making your company energy efficient? I'll hook you up with LED lights, solar panels, and window film."

I guess that sums it up - you're basically the guy "who knows that guy who can hook you up", and you take a percentage of each transaction.

Is this how it works?
That is certainly a part of it, correct. The main thing to keep in mind is that virtually NOBODY knows anything about PACE, let alone getting a PACE deal done.

You are the Informer. You tell them about all PACE can offer.

You are the Aggregator. You have access to all the various pieces of the puzzle needed to complete a PACE retrofit.

You are the Facilitator. You work with all of the pieces and make sure the deal actually gets done.

You are the expert in a little known program. You and your expertise can save a client a huge sum of money on energy costs and increase the overall value of the property -- all with no upfront capital requirements.

Essentially, you are a business consultant at the highest level.

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I'm figuring out how to make this happen over here in Europe, where PACE financing is not an option or where it doesn't exist (except for limited subsidies for solar panels.) I know I can technically call the US from Europe but I'm much stronger face-to-face.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Came across this browsing RedPill. Is in line with a lot of the types of sales we're doing @Ubermensch detailing the value of getting into traditional B2B roles and a roadmap to get started. Take a look all. @axiom, @Omega, @Almantas, @ApparentHorizon, @Kingmaker, @ChasingPaper, @marklov.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/4lkhtq/sales_is_persistance_then_silence/

Yes it is, been a member of the controversial community for over a year now. Everyone on here should check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Came across this browsing RedPill. Is in line with a lot of the types of sales we're doing @Ubermensch detailing the value of getting into traditional B2B roles and a roadmap to get started. Take a look all. @axiom, @Omega, @Almantas, @ApparentHorizon, @Kingmaker, @ChasingPaper, @marklov.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/4lkhtq/sales_is_persistance_then_silence/
Extremely true about the "shut the f*ck up" part. Too many salespeople make the grave error of talking just to talk. You learn the most by LISTENING.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
You learn the most by LISTENING.

100%

If it's one thing introverts do well, it's not talking.

I'd argue, that with the right training, there are some sales jobs where introverts can excel:

1. No/minimal small-talk bs
2. Straight to the point
3. Analytical/Calculated

Sound like the perfect recipe for B2B...

4. Allows and even forces other people to talk about themselves, with the right body language

Jordan Belfort and these other gurus mention how powerful, and even dangerous, their methods are in the wrong hands. Real power comes when your prospect is handing you their feelings on a silver platter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.