The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Employee now, but not forever. Hello from RI.

ownyourtime

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 2, 2019
Hi all,

I’ve been in many situations where I have to introduce myself, and I usually gravitate towards the same things like “Hi, I’m so and so and I like to ride longboards, snowboard in the winter, drink coffee, and listen to music”, but for introducing myself to, what seems like a community of people I should converse with and learn from, allow me to introduce myself: I am a 23-year-old college graduate who works for a mid-size bank who’s job description is best described as a teacher. Every weekday, I wake up at 5 AM, mozy out of bed, turn on the ninja coffee maker, hop in the shower, iron my clothes, tie my uncomfortable Windsor knot, and head out at 7 AM to greet my ‘07 Hyundai to battle traffic and commute 50 miles north where I spend eight hours of my day lecturing employees and new hires on policy and procedure, delivering excellent customer service, and how to best serve the bank. I am very grateful for the opportunity that I have, but I know for now that it is just an experience for me to learn from. I am not an aspiring employee.

I have been on the self-help book kick for several years now, so you could say that me wanting to improve myself and my financial situation has been my main concern since college. I’ve fallen for the gurus, the bro-marketers, the get rich quick drop shipper’s and Amazon affiliate prodigies and found myself halfway through videos of young people like me bragging about how they made my entire salary ($41,000) and then some last month by selling other people’s products online. Yet, through all of this, none of these things have inspired me to take action because it just all seems like one big gimmick to make someone else richer. I’m someone who doesn’t like to waste their time, so on my hour-commute, I like to listen to audiobooks on entrepreneurship, self-improvement, and how to set myself up for a life where I don’t have to worry about where my money is going to come from or depend on someone else to take care of me. It wasn’t until I picked up MJ DeMarco’s “Unscripted ” where I finally was triggered so hard to the point that I was 25 miles into my commute one morning and ended up calling out of work to go process what I just listened to. I felt scared and started thinking I was leading an unfulfilling life working a typical 9-5, after all, it is the only thing I ever knew people to do in my family. But, I also know that I am where I should be right now. I don’t have a groundbreaking business idea that I am ready to implement and take action on, but I am ready to have my mind in a place where I am looking for those opportunities and actively search for problems that people have and find a way to solve those problems.

I’m not greedy, I’m not money-hungry, I’m just a young adult who grew up poor with a single mom and I want to break the script of what I was pre-conditioned to. My dream one day is to propose to my girlfriend and start a family of our own. I also wouldn’t mind paying all of my mother’s debts so she could live in her own tranquility and not have to worry anymore. The ideal situation for us would be if we were financially stable to the point where we wouldn’t be dependent on a job and we can spend most of our time with our family because that is what is important to us; not spending the good years of our life at our jobs and waiting for the weekend to finally spend time with family.

Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum and I am eager to learn from all of you, enjoy your day.

-ZF

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi all,

I’ve been in many situations where I have to introduce myself, and I usually gravitate towards the same things like “Hi, I’m so and so and I like to ride longboards, snowboard in the winter, drink coffee, and listen to music”, but for introducing myself to, what seems like a community of people I should converse with and learn from, allow me to introduce myself: I am a 23-year-old college graduate who works for a mid-size bank who’s job description is best described as a teacher. Every weekday, I wake up at 5 AM, mozy out of bed, turn on the ninja coffee maker, hop in the shower, iron my clothes, tie my uncomfortable Windsor knot, and head out at 7 AM to greet my ‘07 Hyundai to battle traffic and commute 50 miles north where I spend eight hours of my day lecturing employees and new hires on policy and procedure, delivering excellent customer service, and how to best serve the bank. I am very grateful for the opportunity that I have, but I know for now that it is just an experience for me to learn from. I am not an aspiring employee.

I have been on the self-help book kick for several years now, so you could say that me wanting to improve myself and my financial situation has been my main concern since college. I’ve fallen for the gurus, the bro-marketers, the get rich quick drop shipper’s and Amazon affiliate prodigies and found myself halfway through videos of young people like me bragging about how they made my entire salary ($41,000) and then some last month by selling other people’s products online. Yet, through all of this, none of these things have inspired me to take action because it just all seems like one big gimmick to make someone else richer. I’m someone who doesn’t like to waste their time, so on my hour-commute, I like to listen to audiobooks on entrepreneurship, self-improvement, and how to set myself up for a life where I don’t have to worry about where my money is going to come from or depend on someone else to take care of me. It wasn’t until I picked up MJ DeMarco’s “Unscripted ” where I finally was triggered so hard to the point that I was 25 miles into my commute one morning and ended up calling out of work to go process what I just listened to. I felt scared and started thinking I was leading an unfulfilling life working a typical 9-5, after all, it is the only thing I ever knew people to do in my family. But, I also know that I am where I should be right now. I don’t have a groundbreaking business idea that I am ready to implement and take action on, but I am ready to have my mind in a place where I am looking for those opportunities and actively search for problems that people have and find a way to solve those problems.

I’m not greedy, I’m not money-hungry, I’m just a young adult who grew up poor with a single mom and I want to break the script of what I was pre-conditioned to. My dream one day is to propose to my girlfriend and start a family of our own. I also wouldn’t mind paying all of my mother’s debts so she could live in her own tranquility and not have to worry anymore. The ideal situation for us would be if we were financially stable to the point where we wouldn’t be dependent on a job and we can spend most of our time with our family because that is what is important to us; not spending the good years of our life at our jobs and waiting for the weekend to finally spend time with family.

Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum and I am eager to learn from all of you, enjoy your day.

-ZF
Welcome. You write well. Bet it meant a lot to MJ that he cut through the BS and Bro-Marketers and caused you to jump on your brakes.

ownyourtime

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 2, 2019
Love my Ninja!

What made you buy? Where'd you find it?

Welcome aboard my friend, hope to see you around!

I was searching for a new book to listen to regarding the topic of entrepreneurship. I saw the cover of Unscripted and immediately identified with the stick figure soaring in the air above the rest of them. Once I started listening to the audiobook on my commute to work I realized that I enjoyed that more than searching for the same old songs I listen to on Spotify. Thanks for responding and I appreciate your work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I saw the cover of Unscripted and immediately identified with the stick figure soaring in the air above the rest of them. Once I started listening to the audiobook on my commute to work I realized that I enjoyed that more than searching for the same old songs I listen to on Spotify. Thanks for responding and I appreciate your work.

Wow, score a +1 for the cover!

ownyourtime

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 2, 2019

Whatsup Fastlaners?

It’s been a minute since I last made a contribution. I first got brought here by purchasing MJ’s audiobook Unscripted back in April 2019, and needless to say, that sh*t woke me up. I have a confession: I have made no entrepreneurial progress, and I’m okay with that for now. Why? I’m focused on other things like getting my finances in order (Thanks, Dave Ramsey). I don’t know if anyone can relate to this, but after I read through Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane , I could not stop reading books (and still am). I had a goal to read 12 books in 2019, and I am now well over 15+. I was actually disappointed when I couldn’t read any more MJ books because I had read them all, but this forum filled that void. I will admit that I am not on here regularly, but from time to time I do stop by and check out what other forum users have posted to get inspired. I am trusting the process. I never believed that once I finished MJ’s books that I would sprint into entrepreneurship. After all, this is still a relatively new concept to me because “entrepreneurship” was never in my vocabulary growing up. I can’t thank MJ enough for his books because they really inspired me to get hungry about learning and realizing that there are other possibilities for my life, not just the slowlane (which I am still in). Overall, I am happy with my life and I only continue to make it better.

Thanks,
ownyourtime

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.