• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

*UNSCRIPTED* BRO-MARKETING! (Great Copy Selling Crap Products)

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by MJ DeMarco, May 22, 2017.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post
    In the day of stock brokers, we had BOILER ROOM OPERATIONS (BRO) which sold worthless stocks...

Today, we have the same thing...

(From UNSCRIPTED, by DeMarco)

sshot-bromarketing.png

If your company stops advertising and marketing, how long would you survive? If you need advertising to survive, you could be a bro-marketer....

Gabriel Dias, Chx, Apostolos and 45 others like this.
  2. HayesTech

HayesTech Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $540
    I swear a few times in Unscripted you are describing a KNAWLEDEGEable guy who loves his Lamborghini's. ;)

BSK, EricFromCanada, jon2089 and 9 others like this.
  3. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,894
    I liked the part after the highlight better. I knew that guy, he tried to borrow money from me. :)

Gabriel Dias, Red, SteveO and 16 others like this.
  4. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,015
    Bingo! Although mine and your post might add on to the Tai SEO targetting...
    Even worse, these kind of lack of value businesses may end up fighting price wars and customer battles.
    No innovation. No problem solving.

Copywriting and advertising are good, but those BRO-folks thought that these aspects were the EVENTS instead of part of the PROCESS. The magic bullet. So they stuck onto them and forgot about others like customer service and product development. The actual value of products is also an integral part of free marketing i.e word of mouth.

Bingo, @MJ DeMarco . You linked it all the way back to TMF! SUCS!

I'm glad that I only came here in 2016. It must have been mayhem back then, what with the mods enforcing forum martial law. I saw similar atrocities in Black Hat and Warrior Forum, and it was like mining for gold in the middle of the Battle of the Somme.

Gabriel Dias, Process, Vi2397 and 6 others like this.
  5. Ravens_Shadow

Ravens_Shadow Nick Seavert - JangaFX Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,226
    You aren't the only one

The good news is, that guy recently reaped what he has sown. :rofl:

6. Imgal

Imgal Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,784
    Came here to protest against the anti-feminist title of this post and state how I felt highly victimised and needed compensation. Darn it MJ.

Mr.C, Scotch, Nily and 11 others like this.
  7. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $161,616
    To me this was one of the best points of the book, as I know you have been working on how to communicate this simple shift for a long time. You summed up (and indicted in a few paragraphs) a pariah that has not only affected eCommerce marketing en total, but we have also seen our share of BRO-marketers come and (mostly) go from the forum.

Some times, I look at the "success" of others and speculate on how much easier it would be to compromise integrity. We earned every single review we have the old fashioned way. We only market products I would use myself, and have literally written off thousands of dollars of products that I could not recommend to a friend. There are people on the forum TODAY who have compromised in many ways to get to where they are at, or where you perceive they are at. It's not sustainable, and when you spend all day looking over your shoulder it's not really all that fun. Business is hard. Integrity is harder. Business with integrity is the hardest, but at the end of it all it may be one of the few things that matters.

However, it has also been interesting when you get a glimpse past the facade of the bro-marketers to their true financials. Some spend $55,000 to make $50,000 gross. All you ever hear about is their run rate, not their bleed rate. (Make it up in volume?)

I had a friend that was one of the original bro-marketers. Ultimately, they are gamblers. They're betting they can escape with the money before anyone discovers the fraud. Or, some hope the fraud turns legitimate in time to morph from a slimebag into a success story before anyone is the wiser.

My friend, that was one of the original bro marketers? He'll spend the rest of his life in the "hot house" which is a name given for the maximum security Leavenworth prison because the air conditioning is not enough to keep up with the gruling summertime temperatures inside of the prison when the bricks heat up during the summers.

I want to be honest. I want to make decisions that benefit people. I know that I have taken a slower path than many of my friends have recommended, but at the end of the day I have something to be proud of.

When you are first starting out, you want to win one customer by giving them value in exchange for money. Somehow, as the multiples get larger, people lose sight of that pure focus. It becomes easy to justify cutting corners, gambling on ROI, and compromising integrity. Chasing money.

MJ's bro-marketers concept came from his observations of marketing trends that were focused on chasing money at all costs. He's really the only one I have ever heard that has a national spotlight that was willing to take on this dark undercurrent, that even involves some within his own readership. How refreshing to see someone that would take a principled stand for the sake of the principle, with the effects be damned.

Truth is there was a day when I was dancing around the perimeter of the dark side. Now it repulses me. Rather than see how close my marketing can get to the danger zone, I want the line drawn so far beyond trouble that I am beyond reproach.

And I can sleep at night.

Shuhari, Apostolos, Kak and 61 others like this.
  8. Merlox

Merlox New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    There are some serius value in products like the cardone university or the freelance domination from rich20something even tho they cost thousands, they provide exactly what the buyer is looking for: useful and practical knowledge.

Do you think that's bad? Cus I don't.

9. GuestUser450

GuestUser450 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    It's self-perpetuating too. BRO-marketers bring in green wantrepreneurs with screenshots, sell the sizzle and leave massive facebook groups of dejected cynics who still don't know how to cook a steak - but they do know how they were duped and it becomes their only skill.

404profound, itmap, hotshot and 8 others like this.
  10. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post
    You answered your own question. Not all great marketers are BRO-marketers, but all BRO-marketers are great marketers.

Gabriel Dias, Fox, MattR82 and 4 others like this.
  11. Action Mike

Action Mike Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $321
    Very interesting. So the people that make big claims about their product and a big price to match but do not provide something equally valuable are Bro-Marketers?

There are a LOT of Bro-Marketers in Real Estate, there are some good products and people teaching things but a lot of crap too.

Gabriel Dias, Scot and jon.a like this.
  12. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $147,429
    What was it MJ said to sum it up one time?

"Pay me to find out how I did that to you."

Gabriel Dias, MattR82, itmap and 5 others like this.
  13. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post

"Give me $5,000 and in one weekend, I'll teach you what I just did to you."

It's the advanced envelope stuffing scam.

Gabriel Dias, sookie, Fox and 16 others like this.
  14. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $48,052
    Once in my sales career I did a terrible thing.

I deliberately made a sale to someone who didn't want to buy from me. It wasn't Bro marketing it was pride and "good" salesmanship.

He actually did need the type of product I was selling. He was paying a lot more for a less effective product, but his brusque refusal riled me. I knew I would never get a repeat order but I soothed my hurt pride by making that sale.

Fast Forward: I took my own folly to heart and determined to never do such a thing again. The result was that with my new attitude I was an even better salesman. Sales were far less important than giving value. Sales skyrocketed.

Bro marketers seem to never learn. They have a formula that works for the simple reason that there's a sucker born every day.

MJ's great advice can help newbies avoid becoming suckers. If only it could help Bro marketers change their outlook and discover that providing value and making every customer a happy customer is not only spiritually rewarding, but is more often than not financially rewarding too.

Walter

Gabriel Dias, Fox, Apostolos and 30 others like this.
  15. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post
    Boom! +Rep!

16. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,779
    wait.... what? You mean I just paid $50 and I'm not gonna get to stuff envelopes for phat $$$$????

Hell, I like the flavor of the glue. I was looking forward to it.

17. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $11,786
    Thanks for saying this, MJ.

The sale of BRO marketing works on the idea "It worked on me, it'll work on other people".

BRO marketers use legitimate and illegitimate tactics to sell products that are ultimately illegitimate.

My favorite is funnel hacking. It's an advanced term for 'swiping'. Sad thing is? I've done it. I've compromised myself in that way.

Yes, steal every element of another company's marketing strategy (not the general gist, but ALL of it: copy, design, the works!) and plop your product in. It's OK: everyone's doing it, and those guys already tested what works! You save thousands that another company ALREADY f*cking SPENT just so you're shitty replacement product can overtake them... for a short time.

My other favorite? Teaching material that worked... 2-3 years ago. Oh man. "See EXACTLY what I did in 2014 when CPCs were half of what they are today and when I was the only one in the market... just pay $1997 for the course! You get my audience and targeting, too! Don't ask why I killed the campaign if it was doing so well ;)"

This sh*t is endemic to IM and people fall for it left and right. The real secret is that you can only really trust your own data and your own offers.

Gabriel Dias, sookie, Kak and 12 others like this.
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,510
    Reminds me of..

[​IMG]

19. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post
    OMG, I think you described a meaty slice of the IM racket...

When a great strategy milks the crowd for millions, you keep it a secret.
    When it no longer is effective, you then package it into a "This strategy made me millions!" seminar, PDF, or webinar. (Of course, for $1997).

sookie, AgainstAllOdds, NFT and 22 others like this.
  20. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $11,786
    I wish more people would understand this.

If there was more money in using the system, they wouldn't sell the system: they'd use it and make sure nobody f*cking knows.

21. CDM

CDM Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,070
    So, after reading UNSCRIPTED and this thread, I'm starting to wonder if I haven't been falling for the BRO-marketing scam machine.

Which brings up another problem...

I have honest valuable services and products that I have to offer (Even though I have few customers so far, 20% have reordered and our reviews have been all positive so far).

When I started, I knew zero about marketing. So I read a shitload of books and material on the internet to learn how to market.

Other than testing the various techniques (which is expensive.... I blew $5k last year for $1.5k in revenue)... how does one separate marketing tactics that work from the sh*t that's old and no longer effective?

I think I have good products/services that people simply don't know about yet. And marketing is obviously important (the queeen on the chessboard).

So again, is there a good way to separate the gems from the sh*t?

Andy Black likes this.
  22. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $7,891
    It's called altruism, bro.

One minor lesson learned dealing with these people: I had a bunch of these dbags contacting us trying to sell business financing. They tell you they're based in a high rise that looks over central park, even though you can hear the guy trying to brush Dorito crumbs off his track suit while he's talking to you. You can practically feel the hair product oozing out of his pores onto the headset over the phone. I let loose on this guy and told him to go f*ck himself. Ever since then he's been calling my assistant like 4 times a day being very terse and occasionally profane.

Lesson learned: Don't be unnecessarily confrontational with people you know have no sense of dignity.

Andy Black, Kak, Magneto C and 5 others like this.
  23. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $301,199
    Admin Post
    Bro-marketing is not about the marketing, it's about the PRODUCT.

Let's not confuse great marketing with bro-marketing.

You can kick ass at marketing and still have a great product.

The problem is, we have a lot of great marketers who are pushing sh*t products.

Their business IS the marketing of perceived value.

Which is why anytime I hear, "I am an Internet Marketer" what I'm really hearing is "I have a sh*t product and I use great marketing to sell it."

sookie, Andy Black, Fox and 17 others like this.
  24. The-J

Rep Bank:
    $11,786
    Testing is CHEAP not expensive. For every several failed attempts, you'll get one that you can ride.

There's a lot to be learned from others' mistakes but there's infinitely more to be learned from your own. Every product, market, geo area, etc. is different. They're also all the same.

Stop thinking in terms of 'marketing tactics' and think in terms of communicating your offer to the people who would benefit.

Sales funnels work, FB/Google ads work, media buying works, email marketing works, solo ads work, you name it, it works.

What doesn't work is selling sh*t and calling it sugar.

What doesn't work is copying other people straight away.

What doesn't work is treating your customer base like a number on your income statement.

There is a truthful base to all of the sh*t marketing being sold. But if it seems like 'oh just plug it in and it works'... I can tell you it's horse, dog, bull, and chicken sh*t.

If your problem is reach, then your job is to get the reach and make it profitable. (AKA customer value optimization)

Andy Black, Bdenner64, Vi2397 and 8 others like this.
  25. CDM

CDM Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,070
    I'm definitely going to take this to heart.

Thanks!

Magneto C, ZF Lee and The-J like this.