• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Join now and within minutes, you can start getting advice from real millionaire entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD Do you want to do it the EASY way, or the HARD way?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneurship and Startup' started by biophase, Dec 26, 2015.

1. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $92,629
    I'm not sure what you are asking. You find products to improve but they aren't in your niche? Are there no more products in your niche? You can move outside your niche but in my opinion it has to make sense if you are trying to build a brand. Also, not every product needs to be improved in your niche. You can use some products to build your brand. For example if you are selling shoes, you can sell socks, shoe cleaner, etc... that is basically white label. You don't need to redesign a new sock.

amp0193 and RisingStars like this.
  2. RisingStars

RisingStars Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,288
    Thank you very much. You pretty much answered my question. Yes there are more products in my niche, but I don't have the funds to make them better at this point in time - if this is even possible because they are pretty much good as they are.
    So I was looking for products outside my niche, after I got inspired by your thread and found a few products I could improve, but they are in no way related to my brand/niche. The question is would you advice to stay in once niche, even if I would just put a label on a product, or should I jump on opportunitys if I could improve these product, even when they are not align with my niche? (And sell them under another name)

Mattie likes this.
  3. proper

proper Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $197
    Yes, however, this is the old way of checking sales. It is still effective though on some listings.

As an FBA seller, I normally set the maximum purchase amount to something like 20 or 50, depending on the items I sell. So the "999" check will not work on my listings. So my competitors will not know my stocks.

Longinus likes this.
  4. Paul David

Paul David Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,687
    Hi @biophase i have a question if you don't mind answering.
    I have identified a product/s that i know are selling already on Amazon.com but with little competition and profit margins are good.
    I have found the supplier and got the quote which i'm happy with. My plan was to buy 5pcs of each (2 items total) and send them to Amazon to be fulfilled by them as a test rather than diving straight in and buying 500pcs of each.

I asked the factory for a quote for 5pcs and they replied with this:

Generally, our customer only need 1pcs of XXX with or without XXX to test. Are you sure you need 5pcs of each? Total 10pcs?
    If so, the express fare will cost a lot. Also, we need to receive the sample fare USD30/PCS, and need 1-2 weeks to finish.
    If you only need 1 pcs of each total 2pcs. We can send you soon.
    For the package, we can do the mass production as your request. But for samples, the package is in bulk, do you mind it?

What would you suggest in this situation? My long term plan is to let the market decide whether the product is worth pursuing rather than jumping in head first. I don't even care if i don't make a profit on these test orders because of that.

5. amp0193

amp0193 Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,396
    Good point. I've actually never set a max purchase amount on my listings since they added that option. It'd be a good thing to do, for sure.

Thanks for the reminder

6. Longinus

Longinus Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,533
    Can you tell us how you do this? I searched online but got many conflicting information.

7. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $92,629
    I don't see how selling 5 pieces would be enough to test. I mean if you run PPC and all 5 sell in a day, I guess that is a good metric. But what if it takes a week? Was it due to your price, listing, lack of reviews, etc?? I guess for me, I personally couldn't make a decision based on selling 5 pieces.

Depending on their price point, I wouldn't order 500 pcs either. Maybe see if you can get just 100 pcs for a test order.

8. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $92,629
    You can go into your listing and there is a place for maximum quantity. I forgot which tab it is on, maybe the offer tab?

Longinus likes this.
  9. Paul David

Paul David Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,687
    Great thanks. So normally, when you identify a potential product you would buy at least 100pcs to test on FBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $92,629
    It depends on price point, but I chose 100 because it's a number the suppliers can wrap their heads around.

11. Insaint

Insaint Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $908
    Yup, it's about halfway the offer tab: "Max Order Quantity".

Longinus likes this.
  12. proper

proper Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $197
    It depends on the category and products you sell. That's why you find some conflicting information online.

Normally you can find this setting in the "Offer" tab of the listing editing page. Search for "Max Order Quantity".
    If this setting is not there, you can look at the "More Details" tab and search for "Maximum" or "Max", it normally should be there.
    If you still can't find the setting, it means you may need to update the listing using the excel sheet template and change the settings.

Longinus likes this.
  13. Thijz0

Thijz0 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    just by reading this topic i found out i definitely have an easy product on amazon.

so I will sell out my inventory and start looking for new niches. thing is, I did an online course (a very well known) on how to research a product on amazon.

I can probably do the same but i would have to find a 3,5/4 star product and then add value by improving the product right?

@biophase

14. Mac

Mac Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,227
    Hey Biophase,

I've found a product with high revenue, low competition and high margin. Only problem is the shipping costs drop the margin from 50% down to 20% because of the carton size and unit per carton size for my order (air freight). If doing sea freight, the quote is not much better.

You have any tips for getting around this?

15. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $92,629
    Order more? It's important to note that high margin products are not high margin products if the shipping cost is high.

There's a reason margins are high before shipping. That's because if they weren't people couldn't make a profit on them after shipping. You need to account for shipping costs in your margin calculations as the market price will always balance the overall product costs out.

Lastly a 50% margin product is not a high margin product. Are you saying that it costs $10 and sells for $20? If so, this is pretty low margin. A $10 product should be selling for $50. That's an ok margin. A high margin product is something that you pay $10 for and sells for $80.

amp0193, Longinus, Mac and 2 others like this.
  16. anthonyseoul

anthonyseoul New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $66
    Any good online course recommendations?