The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you make time for a good diet and exercise?

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
This came up in the The 100+ hour work week? thread and since it is a different (though related) topic I thought it deserved it's own thread. Rep+++ to Bilgefisher and Yankees338 for bringing it up.

Another FYI that is somewhat related: dieting is crucial. Eating healthy helps a lot, but eating in general is critical. When I don't eat, I get extremely irritable and I tend to get pissed off quite easily.

I agree, I also get very irritable when I am hungry so I eat regularly. I actually take two mini lunches, one at 9/10am and one at 2/3pm. (I am hungry by 9 because I wake up at 4:30am and eat at 5:30am). This spreads out my lunch over a long period, keeping me from getting really hungry and overeating, and keeping my mood in check. I have also found that by having a mini lunch at 2/3pm, I am less hungry at dinner time so I don't eat as much then.

This also gets back to a healthy life style. I can function on less sleep the better shape I am in. My body has more energy.

I have been contemplating adding exercise to my routine in the hopes that it would give me more energy (and need less sleep). I have decided to try it - I have found some things I can do in my house, both cardio (jump rope) and strength training (exercises with weights), so I am going to work this week to get the routine started. I also have a yoga for beginners DVD that I never have used, I may get that out too. I plan to do 30 minutes each day and can rotate the types of exercises I do each day. This will replace time I spend each morning reading email and news.

For years I've said "when I have more money and therefore more free time, I will make time for exercise then". But now I am thinking that I will be very old before I have that much time on my hands, so I'd better make time now.

How about everyone else - is exercise a part of your routine even though you are very busy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I try to exercise every day and watch what I eat. However, I know that I am an emotional eater and when the sh*t hits the fan, all my good habits go out the window! When I am on track, I hit the gym to do weights and jog around the neighborhood. I do much better when I stick to my routine and I get a better quality of sleep.

I know that taking care of myself is most important but when the stress builds up, I forget me in the process.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I am really bad with eating well and exercising, but I know it's something I need to work into my schedule, and I'm changing my schedule currently to make sure it's done.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I don't exercise all that often in the sense of working out, but I play A LOT of sports. I have baseball every day in the spring (except Sundays) and several times a week during the summer and fall. In the winter, I play basketball about 3x per week. I go to the local JCC a few times, too, whenever I can to either work out or play basketball with my friends. I love playing sports, so when I'm playing, it doesn't really feel like exercise at all.

Btw, thanks for the rep!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I do really good for several months and then slack off for some reason. I have got to get back into a routine for my health. Thanks for bringing this up Sara. +++ speed

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
I try to do some kind of cardio every weekday. Riding my bike around the neighborhood if the weather's nice, treadmill inside if not. It definitely gives me more energy and keeps me more focused and positive.

I eat healthy, but mostly because that's what my wife cooks and keeps around the house. I am bad about grabbing fast food for lunch on busy days.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. Lifting weights disrupts my sleep pattern at night -- so I feel better during the day, but suffer at night.

I ride my recumbent bike frequently and after a 90 minute workout on that, I feel refreshed and ready to tackle anything. I think exercise/fitness is key ingredient to success -- a healthy body/mind can only accelerate your progress.

How many 350 lb fat guys do you know that are successful and high achievers? I don't know any.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
I recently discovered www.gyminee.com and really like it. It sort of takes the success concepts of goal setting, tracking, and accountability and applies them to fitness.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I just recently hired a personal trainer. After years and years of training myself, I decided to hire a professional.

Personally, I think that purely from a workout stand point ($/hr), I don't think it is worth it.

However, what does make it worth it is that I now regularly have to work out and that when I do go work out I get pushed. In addition, I have to eat right also or all my working out would go to waste.

So hiring a PT will benefit me in the long run and I don't think I can put a price tag on that. I just wish I was dedicated enough myself to not have to spend the $$ to hire one.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Just recently, for the first time in my life, I have fallen in love with working out. It has been a process – a year and a half or so. Previously, I just did it because I knew I should (and not very well).

It happened when we moved to FL. It seems like everyone we know here works out and so much of everyday life is outdoors. We just fell into it. Now, after forcing myself for months, I am obsessed. I crave the feeling. I even did a 10 mile race (in phl) at the beginning of this month. Hilarious. When I told a great old friend about this, she reminded me that I was the girl smoking in gym class. Lol, yea, I guess I was.

I have been thinking about the trainer route as well lately. I look at it just like having CPA, Attorney or any other good advisor. Health is certainly as important (if not more) than many other components in life. It makes me more productive and, plus, it’s creating jobs, right? :smxB:

For this, I will be forever grateful to the state of FL. I know there are plenty of people in Philly who live an active lifestyle. I just wasn't one of 'em! I hope that I can keep this focus throughout the rest of my life. I don't think I have ever felt better.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
I love physical fitness. Go visit www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com for some really hardcore fitness information. And I do not mean this lightly when I say that Ross's fitness books are the absolute best you can buy. If you buy his two books "Never Gymless" and "Infinite Intensity" you will never buy another general fitness book again.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
This came up in the The 100+ hour work week? thread and since it is a different (though related) topic I thought it deserved it's own thread. Rep+++ to Bilgefisher and Yankees338 for bringing it up.

I agree, I also get very irritable when I am hungry so I eat regularly. I actually take two mini lunches, one at 9/10am and one at 2/3pm. (I am hungry by 9 because I wake up at 4:30am and eat at 5:30am). This spreads out my lunch over a long period, keeping me from getting really hungry and overeating, and keeping my mood in check. I have also found that by having a mini lunch at 2/3pm, I am less hungry at dinner time so I don't eat as much then.

I have been contemplating adding exercise to my routine in the hopes that it would give me more energy (and need less sleep). I have decided to try it - I have found some things I can do in my house, both cardio (jump rope) and strength training (exercises with weights), so I am going to work this week to get the routine started. I also have a yoga for beginners DVD that I never have used, I may get that out too. I plan to do 30 minutes each day and can rotate the types of exercises I do each day. This will replace time I spend each morning reading email and news.

For years I've said "when I have more money and therefore more free time, I will make time for exercise then". But now I am thinking that I will be very old before I have that much time on my hands, so I'd better make time now.

How about everyone else - is exercise a part of your routine even though you are very busy?

Sara, right on with the jump rope. You can get a lot done with that one piece. It'll wipe you out if you're not used to it :)

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Just recently, for the first time in my life, I have fallen in love with working out. It has been a process – a year and a half or so. Previously, I just did it because I knew I should (any not very well).

It happened when we moved to FL. It seems like everyone we know here works out and so much of everyday life is outdoors. We just fell into it. Now, after forcing myself for months, I am obsessed. I crave the feeling. I even did a 10 mile race (in phl) at the beginning of this month. Hilarious. When I told a great old friend about this, she reminded me that I was the girl smoking in gym class. Lol, yea, I guess I was.

I have been thinking about the trainer route as well lately. I look at it just like having CPA, Attorney or any other good advisor. Health is certainly as important (if not more) than many other components in life. It makes me more productive and, plus, it’s creating jobs, right? :smxB:

For this, I will be forever grateful to the state of FL. I know there are plenty of people in Philly who live an active lifestyle. I just wasn't one of 'em! I hope that I can keep this focus throughout the rest of my life. I don't think I have ever felt better.

I completely agree with you on the value of a personal trainer. Just be discerning with who you choose to work with. Just like your examples of CPA and attorney...you wouldn't hire just anyone. Most gyms in my area will employ any old fool as a trainer. Get a good one, and they'll change your life. You KNOW a good trainer when you meet with one. It's not just motivation, it's expertise; making you feel comfortable but very motivated at the same time.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I have exercise basically hardwired into my routine. First thing in the morning every day. Weights with cardio thrown in 2-3 days a week. For me, cardio on a recumbent bike is the perfect place to get some reading in or catch up on some notes. Take it from someone who knows, once you get sick your health immediately goes to the top of your priorities. Fitness is always worth the work.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Health should be Priority One. Without it, all else is dust. Eat more veggies, and less meat, and exercise. It's easy. No excuses.

Venturer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 11, 2007
Skyler, nice blog and post on health-related posts. I coudn't agree more. Although I still eat some meat. Once a week a piece of meat of roughly 150 gram.
I am doing lots of exercise.

Keep on the good work. Speed+

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Skyler, nice blog and post on health-related posts. I coudn't agree more. Although I still eat some meat. Once a week a piece of meat of roughly 150 gram.
I am doing lots of exercise.

Keep on the good work. Speed+

Thanks for the Speed.

Good work, venturer. I used to think vegetarians were the weirdest people on the planet. Now I look and feel better than I ever have. Plus my guts are much healthier. Remember that Recommended Daily Values and the Food Pyramid are influenced by government and lobbyists. Do you really believe the National Cattlemen's Beef Association's recommendation for daily protein needs? See more here.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I suppose I don't really "make time" for health and fitness, eating well and being active is just a part of my life. Recently, I have stepped it up a bit and have been making time to hit the gym about 5 times a week. I don't view going there as exercise, I view it as my thinking time. This is the time that I hop on a treadmill and walk fast while reading different magazines or books. I have also found that hopping on the treadmill- even for 5 minutes, helps me think better, and I often have many great ideas or solutions come to me at this time. My husband and I lift weights together, so that's kinda fun. As far as eating right, I tend to feel awful if I don't. I eat very little red meat, sugar and white flour and a lot of veggies, fruit, chicken, fish and whole wheat products. Although yesterday we went to a wine festival where I had about 4 glasses of wine and 1/2 a funnel cake for lunch. I felt like crap the rest of the day, and still kinda do. Not worth it to feel like that all the time!

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
^After eating well for so long, I laugh at my old habits. Fats. Sugars. ANYTHING in a traditional vending machine makes me chuckle...

I remember when I really loved those things. CRAVED THEM! Now that my body is rid of their trickery, I have no desire to fill it with crap! The same thing happened when I ditched TV.

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I have finally gotten into the habit of doing my exercise daily now (in the afternoon before I pick up the kids from daycare), and I have noticed that it really helps my energy level in the evening; I used to get so tired around 7-8pm I was constantly yawning and just wanted to go to sleep - right while I'm trying to do the kids bedtime routine. But on the days I exercise that doesn't happen anymore, and I have more energy to work into the night. Awesome!

werbl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
May 3, 2008
Racine, WI
I've been exercising for 6 or 7 years now. After I wake up I'll go for a run or ride my bike. When I have time, usually 3 or 4 days a week, I'll lift weights afterwards. This helps me feel calm and focused throughout the rest of the day.

Starting an exercise habit is probably the single best thing I've ever done for myself. I feel better, sleep better, look better, the sex is better, and food even tastes better. I also feel that if you have the drive to get up and run five or six miles every day, that discipline will carry over into just about every other aspect of your life. It's nice starting every day with a small victory.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just finished a 5 day fast 10 days ago and let me tell you, it is an eye-opener.

The first 2 days where hell -- It was withdrawal -- withdrawal from the food addictions I had (and most Americans seem to have) ... you know the culprits (Caffeine, Carbs, Sugar, Aspartame) -- as each day went by, I felt better and better. I couldn't believe that it was possible not to eat for 5 days, but something remarkable happened: I experienced hunger in a pure physiological sense and not hunger based on addictions or cravings.

I remember walking into Costco and feeling totally liberated ... liberated from the urges to buy junk food -- cookies, chips, dips --- I was hungry for good food: Veggies, fruits, nuts -- Coke, chips and the usual suspects suddenly became unappetizing. I became more productive as I was free from hunger and cravings.

Now that is over and I started eating again, I feel much better and eat a lot more sensible. I will probably repeat this process every few months -- the euphoria of not having urges or preoccupations with food is almost like a high worth repeating.

kingwizard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 19, 2008
Texas
Congrats PhxMJ,
If it felt like anything when I stopped taking caffeine, you probably felt like crap at first, and as the days went by you got better and better. Now add some weight lifting at least twice a week and you'll feel much better. I saw your post prior to your last one about it disrupting your sleep pattern. Try to make sure you have a good pre and post workout meal. Maybe that could be the problem.
Diet and nutrition should be in eveybodies agenda, daily!
It is so important we change our lifestyles for the better so we can enjoy life more and be more productive in our businesses.
Our health should be number 1 before anything!
Happy running, lifting, yoga, playing golf or whatever makes you happy in life. :banana:

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
I think this blog was made for me!!! I am notorious for eating poorly when under stress! I find the worse I eat, the worse I feel. Then I'll realize what I'm doing to myself and really focus on what I put in my body, and let me tell you...not always good!

I've given up fast food for sure! I saw just how poorly I felt, how irritable I was and just overall blah...Soda is another culprit for me too....gone! No diet, no nothing!

I think I'm going to do what MJ did and start a fast and move forward from there!

I do find when I take time out of my day and go for a swim I feel so much better! Even if it's only a 1/2 hour...I can't tell you how rejuvenated I feel! What a stress reliever!

Great thread!! ++

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Last year we converted one of our home offices (We have 2) into a home office/gym. It was one of the best moves I've ever made. By adding a recumbant bike & eliptical, along with a weight machine to my office -- I now am able to capitalize on those "down" times when I'm usually just sitting in my chair on conference calls, etc. I can now sneak in some cardio and weights throughout my day when the normal downturns occur instead of having to plan some time before or after work to hit the gym. Also we've found that by having the gym in our house, we're much more likely to work out than having a gym membership and having to leave the home.

- Hakrjak

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I excercise 5 days a week (fitness) and eat every 3 hours to keep fit. So excercise and good diet is a must for me. I get really out of balance (emotionally) without it.

Why excercise so much? Well, I like doing it. You feel so relaxed afterwards. So focused.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Exercise has beem a major part of my life for many years. I have logged more running miles than 99.9% of the world population. I need to stay active to keep a proper state of mind. I play golf twice a week, log 30-90 miles of running, bowl once a week, and play softball. This is a lot of activity for a 50 year old.

Diet has reared its ugly head for me over the years as well. It gets more difficult to keep the weight off as the aging process occurs. More importantly, what you put into your body is what you are going to get out of it as well. Our processed food society makes it very difficult to keep putting decent foods into the system.

One thing that I have been successful with is planning the shopping menu to insure there are plenty of healthy snacks in the house. I make sure to have at least four servings of fresh fruit every day. It is easy if they are accessible to you.

Avoid alcohol. It will take its toll over time. The damaging affects are cumulative and target both mental and physical functions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.