The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(ECOM) Do you make these 3 mistakes with your email marketing subject lines?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Jonny Blaze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 18, 2016
Hello Fellow Fastlaners,

I wrote this article on LinkedIn and I felt like it would be helpful for some of the members on here too.

Take a lookie-poo below if you would like some free value that will help you get more opens.

-----

Ahh, the subject line of an email...

It's the first impression of your message to a customer/prospect.

And it leads to someone either clicking on your email or ignoring you like your high school crush.

(Was that just me?)

I like to look at email marketing like the 100-meter hurdles, except there are only 4 hurdles here.

(The hurdles were also something that wasn't too kind to me in high school.)

The first hurdle you need to get past is getting someone to open the email.

The second hurdle is getting them to read the first few lines.

The third hurdle is getting them to pay attention to the rest of the email.

The fourth and final hurdle is getting them to click or take action.

So lace up your track spikes, and get ready to possibly break your ankle, because today I'm going to show you 3 tips on how to get passed that first hurdle with ease.

Stop Using Out-Of-Context Emojis

I think emojis are great for subject lines, but you would think that some brands just discovered them yesterday.

I see subject lines like this all the time.

" OMG check this out! "

Personally, this makes me want to do everything but click on your email.

This subject line is giving me 0 reasons as to why I should "check this out" and it just looks like how 14-year-olds text or how 50-year-olds think all Millenials text.

The emojis also just completely lack context, they make me feel a variety of emotions and only my girlfriend is allowed to do that.

Emojis are powerful at adding emotional context to your subject lines but use them wisely, focus on one emotion at a time.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you're probably giving them a discount with that type of subject line.

I would bet dollars over donuts that subject lines like...

"You might want to check this out "

or

"Don't open this email "

Would out preform the previous subject line every time.

The gift makes them feel like its Christmas, and who doesn't love gifts?

This is what I mean by making your emotions match what you want your customer to feel.

The second example I gave usually works wonders, it's like telling a kid to not do something, of course they're going to do it.

So here's 3 rules when using Emojis in subject lines...
  1. Use 1-2 Emojis MAX in any subject line
  2. Don't use Emojis in every subject line, otherwise, your customers will start to ignore them.
  3. Make sure the emotion you want to be conveyed matches your Emojis

Keep it short, sweet, and mysterious.

3-8 words MAX.

You're not telling a story, you're simply getting them interested.

But don't just do something like...

"We just released new products"

That's about as dry as overcooked turkey.

You want to keep things mysterious, so just sit and think how can I convey this exact same message but in a more mysterious way?

Some ideas that come to mind for me are...

"This is our best release yet"

"Our new products will make you go OH!"

"Had to let you know first"

Bada-bing, Bada-boom, schlap in an Emoji if you feel like it and now you got yourself a subject line.

The big thing here is to just be creative.

One of the highest email open rates I ever got was from the subject line "Malarkey"

People opened it because it made them go "huh?"

Stop Screaming

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN I TYPE LIKE THIS.

IT PROBABLY MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE IM YELLING AT YOU.

NO ONE LIKES TO BE YELLED AT, SO STOP WRITING SUBJECT LINES IN ALL CAPS.

YOU CAN CONVEY THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A SOCIOPATHIC MEATHEAD.

*Coughs*

See what I mean?

I would bet money that the voice you used in your head to read that was an angry/frustrated voice.

Your customers don't want to be yelled at, so take it down a notch.

I see this mistake made so often and it honestly makes me laugh.

"BOGO THIS SALE ENDS TONIGHT"

Every time this is what runs through my head.

No alt text provided for this image

And that's all I have for you today.

I hope you found this article helpful, and that this helps your open rates skyrocket!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonny Blaze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 18, 2016
Here's the emojis for context.

Hello Fellow Fastlaners,

I wrote this article on LinkedIn and I felt like it would be helpful for some of the members on here too.

Take a lookie-poo below if you would like some free value that will help you get more opens.

-----

Ahh, the subject line of an email...

It's the first impression of your message to a customer/prospect.

And it leads to someone either clicking on your email or ignoring you like your high school crush.

(Was that just me?)

I like to look at email marketing like the 100-meter hurdles, except there are only 4 hurdles here.

(The hurdles were also something that wasn't too kind to me in high school.)

The first hurdle you need to get past is getting someone to open the email.

The second hurdle is getting them to read the first few lines.

The third hurdle is getting them to pay attention to the rest of the email.

The fourth and final hurdle is getting them to click or take action.

So lace up your track spikes, and get ready to possibly break your ankle, because today I'm going to show you 3 tips on how to get passed that first hurdle with ease.

Stop Using Out-Of-Context Emojis

I think emojis are great for subject lines, but you would think that some brands just discovered them yesterday.

I see subject lines like this all the time.

":rofl::smile2: OMG check this out!:duh::wideyed: "

Personally, this makes me want to do everything but click on your email.

This subject line is giving me 0 reasons as to why I should "check this out" and it just looks like how 14-year-olds text or how 50-year-olds think all Millenials text.

The emojis also just completely lack context, they make me feel a variety of emotions and only my girlfriend is allowed to do that.

Emojis are powerful at adding emotional context to your subject lines but use them wisely, focus on one emotion at a time.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you're probably giving them a discount with that type of subject line.

I would bet dollars over donuts that subject lines like...

"You might want to check this out :moneybag:"

or

"Don't open this email :moneybag:"

Would out preform the previous subject line every time.

The gift makes them feel like its Christmas, and who doesn't love gifts?

**EDIT: I can't use the present emoji on here so I used the money bag**

This is what I mean by making your emotions match what you want your customer to feel.

The second example I gave usually works wonders, it's like telling a kid to not do something, of course they're going to do it.

So here's 3 rules when using Emojis in subject lines...
  1. Use 1-2 Emojis MAX in any subject line
  2. Don't use Emojis in every subject line, otherwise, your customers will start to ignore them.
  3. Make sure the emotion you want to be conveyed matches your Emojis

Keep it short, sweet, and mysterious.

3-8 words MAX.

You're not telling a story, you're simply getting them interested.

But don't just do something like...

"We just released new products"

That's about as dry as overcooked turkey.

You want to keep things mysterious, so just sit and think how can I convey this exact same message but in a more mysterious way?

Some ideas that come to mind for me are...

"This is our best release yet"

"Our new products will make you go OH!"

"Had to let you know first"

Bada-bing, Bada-boom, schlap in an Emoji if you feel like it and now you got yourself a subject line.

The big thing here is to just be creative.

One of the highest email open rates I ever got was from the subject line "Malarkey"

People opened it because it made them go "huh?"

Stop Screaming

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN I TYPE LIKE THIS.

IT PROBABLY MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE IM YELLING AT YOU.

NO ONE LIKES TO BE YELLED AT, SO STOP WRITING SUBJECT LINES IN ALL CAPS.

YOU CAN CONVEY THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A SOCIOPATHIC MEATHEAD.

*Coughs*

See what I mean?

I would bet money that the voice you used in your head to read that was an angry/frustrated voice.

Your customers don't want to be yelled at, so take it down a notch.

I see this mistake made so often and it honestly makes me laugh.

"BOGO THIS SALE ENDS TONIGHT"

Every time this is what runs through my head.

No alt text provided for this image

And that's all I have for you today.

I hope you found this article helpful, and that this helps your open rates skyrocket!

:moneybag:

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
To add to this use good copywriting and don’t use the words (I, Our, We, My, Ours)

make your writing them centric, and remember they are thinking WIIFM (what’s in it for me), so talking about you is not synonymous with their frame of thinking in the moment.

Imagine going on a first date and only talking about yourself and how great this date is for you.

Your date is probably going to be turned off by your selfishness in not asking about them, and chances are you won’t go out again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.