The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dividends from being an "A-hole"

Anything related to matters of the mind

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
An interesting observation I've made over the past couple of years...

Ever notice how being nice often gets you polite rejections to your requests, but being direct, and even an a-hole when required, gets you much more? (Note: I only abbreviated a-hole because we spell it "arsehole" whereas you US fastlaners use "a$$", so don't accuse me of being politically correct! ;-)

Being raised in a western country, I was raised to be polite, nice, etc. "Ask politely", "ask and you shall receive", "avoid conflict, don't make a scene" etc. All well and good for personal interactions, not for business.

I found I was too polite and was being walked-over like a door mat at a train station. Daily. I wasn't offending anyone, and I was being nice like my mother told me, but I was getting NO results. I moved to another country for a while, where politeness is considered differently, and being abrupt/direct is not impolite. I had trouble saying no and demanding what I want until I lived there. Not now.

Recall from your own lives, how many times you sit on hold on the phone for 40+ minutes, only to be told you can't have what you want?

My advice: be polite when making the request and if you don't get it, be very direct. "I'm sorry, <insert name>, that's not going to work. I NEED xyz, so how can we make it possible to get xyz? If they still decline, it might be time to reveal your inner a-hole. Don't be personally offensive. Don't call them names. Attack their systems, company, etc, but unless truly warranted, leave the personal stuff out. When you get what you want, reward them by being reasonable again. Thank them. Next time you make a request, they'll be far more flexible!

Don't equivocate, don't pad it thinking you'll spare their feelings. They aren't offended by directness, just jolted out of their "decline everything" rut. They decline because they couldn't be bothered, don't know how, incorrectly think they can't, etc. All excuses which stant in the way of you GETTING WHAT YOU WANT! Don't even find out why they are declining unless you really need to. Just demand it, don't accept anything but results, and they will have to find a way to do it for you to avoid conflict (with you!).

It's very hard to do for the first few attempts, but it feels very empowering when you master it. Some people may not want to try it, and that's ok, but it works for me when I need to use it. Funnily enough, you only need to do it once or twice per person, and for a long time, they'll be very helpful. I guess they want to avoid conflict!

In the end, avoiding pain (conflict with you) overrides their desire for pleasure (doing nothing). Make it easier for them to give you what you want than to deny it.

Daniel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
It's funny you mentioned this. Days ago, Neil Cavuto had the writer Martin Kihn on his show to discuss his new book: "a**hole: How I Got Rich & Happy by Not Giving a Damn About Anyone & How You Can, Too" Here is the link [ame="http://www.amazon.com/a**hole-Happy-Giving-About-Anyone/dp/0767927265/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210910323&sr=1-1"]The book[/ame] Note: If you guys need an ebook copy let me know. Specially Jon.:D Just kidding OK. It's not even out yet I believe.

Basically he was making the same point as you. BTW, I experienced the same thing in my life and in the military. The way I operate myself is:

1. I am always nice...I mean I use respect and tact as a life rule.
2. Unfortunately some people are just primitive. :( No matter what, they cannot comprehend. In these cases, when I sense they're reading my tact as weakness, and we're going no where, I stoop to their level. The degree of my fight to get what I am looking for depends on how badly I need it.
3. When I am pushed around I push back. Easy as that.

I mean isn't that how democracies work. Nice with other democracies, harsh with dictatorships.

Howard :smx6:

Last edited:

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I also just realised how congruent it is with fastlane ideas in general... Isn't fastlane thinking often the opposite of what "reasonable" and "rational" people think? Hehehe...

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
If you have to move too far away from your intrinsic values and character in order to become an a-hole it won't help you get into the fastlane. Even if it does, you'll probably regret it later.
Stay close to yourself and make sure you don't have to regret anything in hindsight.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
If you have to move too far away from your intrinsic values and character in order to become an a-hole it won't help you get into the fastlane. Even if it does, you'll probably regret it later.
Stay close to yourself and make sure you don't have to regret anything in hindsight.

That's a great point you make, and I wish I included it in my post. I don't think being an a-hole is incongruent with any of my values, because even though it might make some people uncomfortable, not only does it get me what I want (aren't the decliners of the world just protecting their self-interests anyway? Whether it be laziness, ignorance, etc), I don't feel I have any obligation to be nice when they are declining to give me something which I have a legitimate claim to.

I let it come down to this: if it's not illegal, and not immoral (according to my standards, although often different to others'), I'll go for what I want.

:)

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Being direct is not being an a**hole, but some people take everything too personally when you are direct. I am a very direct person myself, but I am trying to be "nice". I have a much easier time just telling people bluntly what I want, then I have with trying to say it with finesse.

This "finesse" thing is just a play with words anyhow.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
I try to always be polite and nice but when negotiating that tends to go out the window. One of the most important things I ever learned was to be ready and willing to walk away from any deal if the other party is unwilling to meet my needs. There are plenty of deals to be had and often the seller/banker/whatever will reconsider as you are walking out. As soon as you decide that you must have something, you lose all leverage. I also have no problem lying a little to get a better price such as: telling a bank that another bank is willing to go 6.75% and your bank is at 6.89% can you meet or beat them?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's an example from earlier this year. I was riding my mountain bike down a trail when I passed a gathering of a few people. They had garbage bags and a sign saying "Clean up our trails." As I rode by one guy said "do you have 5 minutes to spare?" I stopped and they asked if I had 5 minutes to spare to pick up some garbage on the trails.

Well, I was in a hurry to get home so I sort of hedged and being nice I said something to the effect of how often are you guys out here and maybe when I see you again I can.

The guy responded with "It was a simple yes or no question." Well this made it easy for me to just say "no" after.

Three weeks later going to down the same trail I see the same group of guys again. This time I sped up and few by them yelling "No" before they could even finish their question. I'm sure they thought I was an a-hole, and I'm just hoping I get to keep seeing them every time I ride.

If they were nice I would probably feel bad saying "no" all summer and try to avoid them, but now it's so much easier when I see them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
fanocks said:
This "finesse" thing is just a play with words anyhow.

If your goal is to get what you want, wouldn't it be prudent to play by whatever rules are in place?

JScott said:
KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE

Yup.

Bottom line, use what it takes to get what you want.

At a high end social function, this may include what you wear, how you smell, and who introduces you.

In a bar parking lot, it may just mean getting in that first punch (or clean shot).

Context.

Important.

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It is easy to be polite, reasonable, and pleasant to work with and still be a good negotiator.

Everything in business comes down to understanding what someone else has, what it is worth to them, you and others.

Few people have the restraint to deal with difficult people. If you don't like who you are working with, switch. In the cases where you can't switch, stand your ground when appropriate.

I worked with a commercial agent that everyone thought was an a**hole. But he was thorough and stepped into battle for you when needed. I would battle back when that attention was directed at me. As long as I made MY CASE, he would back off. There were never any hard feelings, just business...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.