- Joined
- Nov 1, 2019
- Messages
- 25
Rep Bank
$245
$245
User Power: 104%
I was discussing a web hosting business idea with a friend. We had differing opinions about the real vs perceived value of the business. The idea is thus:
It costs me say ~$5/month to host a static website. I can create a simple static website for a small business in around an hour. I use the simple static website as a sales tactic to attract a small business, I provide the website to them free of charge, but charge them $20/month for hosting and support.
I say that because I am providing my expertise in web hosting, providing a website for free, and providing support to the customer, that charging $20/month is justified if not even a little low.
My friend says that since it costs me only $5/month and I'm charging $20/month and the vast majority of customers will go months without needing support, that this idea lacks integrity because I am selling an inflated perceived value.
I wanted to hear other people thoughts on this. What do you think about my argument vs my friends?
It costs me say ~$5/month to host a static website. I can create a simple static website for a small business in around an hour. I use the simple static website as a sales tactic to attract a small business, I provide the website to them free of charge, but charge them $20/month for hosting and support.
I say that because I am providing my expertise in web hosting, providing a website for free, and providing support to the customer, that charging $20/month is justified if not even a little low.
My friend says that since it costs me only $5/month and I'm charging $20/month and the vast majority of customers will go months without needing support, that this idea lacks integrity because I am selling an inflated perceived value.
I wanted to hear other people thoughts on this. What do you think about my argument vs my friends?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

