The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Desperate to start. Please help.

Idea threads

Schötzke

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2022
Hello, my name is Timm from Germany and I'm about to go crazy! After reading Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane I really want to start my own business. But all the ideas I came up with already exist. In addition, these are very perfected and I wouldn't have a chance in the "value competition". Because MJ says you should focus on one business I want to find the right one and execute from there. Do you have any advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It doesn't matter if it exists. What matters is what value can you provide to your community that people would be willing to pay for?

There's always room for more business -- especially if you do it better.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

Doesn't need to be a new idea, or even an idea that isn't tied to your time(at first). Checkout @Johnny boy

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Hello, my name is Timm from Germany and I'm about to go crazy! After reading Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane I really want to start my own business. But all the ideas I came up with already exist. In addition, these are very perfected and I wouldn't have a chance in the "value competition". Because MJ says you should focus on one business I want to find the right one and execute from there. Do you have any advice?
Just focus on a run off the mill service where the value proposition is simple and clear. In other words, have a look at what successful competitors around your level and size are doing, and replicate it. There’s a lot to learn about running a business, so rather than trying to hit a home run from the first swing, just aim for first base.

Services are much better than products to start with. Also, if you can do a local service, even better. If not, pick a skill like copywriting or web design and get started that way. Either way, the shortcut is easy… find business models that you can replicate and do yourself by looking at competitors, then start doing them. Exactly like they are, there is a reason, after all, why what they’re doing is working.

One note here is pick competitors that are just a bit farther ahead than you. As a coach, it would be a bad idea to model Tony Robbins… but a good idea to model the coach you saw on LinkedIn get a few testimonials from happy clients who started his business just 1 year ago.

As you start making money and getting the hang of things, look for areas where you can innovate and improve. But the first step is to just steal what works.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi! I fear the question is way too generic. It is impossible to give helpful advice without knowing anything about your situation.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
What are your passions or favorite areas?
You can very well work in a market that already has several products. Just do it better/different/cheaper?/better marketing...
There are several points to address. Take the time to educate yourself on the business in general. There's a great book for that that I love (The Personal Mba)

Schötzke

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2022
Just focus on a run off the mill service where the value proposition is simple and clear. In other words, have a look at what successful competitors around your level and size are doing, and replicate it. There’s a lot to learn about running a business, so rather than trying to hit a home run from the first swing, just aim for first base.

Services are much better than products to start with. Also, if you can do a local service, even better. If not, pick a skill like copywriting or web design and get started that way. Either way, the shortcut is easy… find business models that you can replicate and do yourself by looking at competitors, then start doing them. Exactly like they are, there is a reason, after all, why what they’re doing is working.

One note here is pick competitors that are just a bit farther ahead than you. As a coach, it would be a bad idea to model Tony Robbins… but a good idea to model the coach you saw on LinkedIn get a few testimonials from happy clients who started his business just 1 year ago.

As you start making money and getting the hang of things, look for areas where you can innovate and improve. But the first step is to just steal what works.
First: thank you very much! I want a business that I can scale. Your opinion is definitely valueable but I already do something similar :)

barrackus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Oct 15, 2019
Poland
As others said, the idea doesn't have to be new. In fact, I believe, almost no "first one" is a success. Google is not the first internet search engine, microsoft is not the first operating system creator etc.

Try the excercise called "five ideas a day". Create a google document, evernote note etc - and write down QUICKLY everyday five ideas that comes to your mind. It will help unlock your "ideas engine" :)

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
First: thank you very much! I want a business that I can scale. Your opinion is definitely valueable but I already do something similar :)
Well, any of those businesses can scale. You can scale web design, copywriting, picking up trash, lawn mawing and so on.

The point being that ultimately each business will come with its own set of difficulties. Some are easier to get started but harder to scale, others easier to scale but super hard to get started.

Look at a company like Facebook. Scaled pretty quickly in terms of users and dominance, but was VERY difficult to get off the ground, took many years, and a ton in terms of venture capital money to become profitable. Or Tesla. And so on.

Those companies may scale very fast when they hit critical mass, but getting them to that point is very very difficult. Whereas something like web design may be more difficult to scale and as a result it may scale slower, but it can be more consistent and easier to get started.

You can, in the end, become a millionaire in pretty much any business. So just pick something and keep solving the problems you have in front of you, whatever they are. It sounds to me like you just want the end result but are getting scared away by the work!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
What ve you done till now?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe check out the first couple of rows of links in my signature, and the tagline thing under my forum avatar.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Because MJ says you should focus on one business I want to find the right one and execute from there. Do you have any advice?
MJ also points out, and many of us have experienced this, you'll likely go through a few false starts or changes of direction as you move through this journey. Don't get so wrapped up in trying to find the perfect first thing to do. Get out there, help people, create value and learn. Few of us knows exactly what path we want to take when we start. But all the paths we've taken - eventually - helped in our success.

Last edited:

Schötzke

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2022
As others said, the idea doesn't have to be new. In fact, I believe, almost no "first one" is a success. Google is not the first internet search engine, microsoft is not the first operating system creator etc.

Try the excercise called "five ideas a day". Create a google document, evernote note etc - and write down QUICKLY everyday five ideas that comes to your mind. It will help unlock your "ideas engine" :)
Awesome idea thanks!

Schötzke

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2022
What ve you done till now?
imported stuff from china and sold it via marketplaces like ebay. I made some money out of it but nothing that made me a fortune. I want to build something with meaning / solve a REAL problem

Epicure

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 22, 2022
Beaufort, SC
My 3rd business venture was a remodel business in the next state over from where I lived. There was plenty of businesses the did the same work. But I did it better, I always returned calls, was below budget and showed up on time and day agreed. I was swamped until the recession. By next venture I will have a backup plan. Good luck to you. Do it better.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
imported stuff from china and sold it via marketplaces like ebay. I made some money out of it but nothing that made me a fortune. I want to build something with meaning / solve a REAL problem
what is a "real problem"?

finding something with meaning is probably why you're not getting anywhere. Too many people looking to feel fulfilled before they get started.

No one can tell you what roads have meaning, its completely subjective to you.

Look at service businesses. So many people nowadays wanna stay indoors on a laptop but theres money to made in service businesses that require low start up capital and you can start in a weekend

Window Cleaning
Gutter Clearing
Mobile tyre service
Picking up dog sh*t
Lawn Care
Pressure washing
Carpet Cleaning

These type of business may not get you straight into the fastlane but you'll learn some skills that will certainly help.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
No one can tell you what roads have meaning, its completely subjective to you.
As is what you do with all the profits you get from that dirty job - like supporting something that has "meaning". Many paths to the same end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.