The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#DeleteFacebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you have a business, and customers are looking for you on Facebook, you should be on Facebook.

And that's the only reason why I haven't *officially* clicked DELETE. Same goes with Instagram.

I have to be there because my readers are there.

I consider it a necessary evil.

It's like paying taxes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
The thing is, even if you do stop using Facebook, you will still continue to contribute to their data set. Just as almost all websites out there use Google Analytics tracking codes, most also use the Facebook Pixel. The fact of the matter is no matter where you go online, your data is being utilized by "the collectors" and being sold to someone either through ads or directly.

Regardless of what becomes of Facebook, it is a necessary evil. Not taking advantage of all of that valuable data and visibility from a business standpoint is literally leaving money on the table. Or leaving the door ajar for your competitors to bait and switch.

Artie Bernaducci

Servant Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Apr 2, 2018
New Jersey
MJ, it is SO REFRESHING to hear TRUTH from someone who is independent enough not to give a shit about the opinions of others. Thanks for your creations!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have never had a positive Roi on promoted posts on Facebook

Promoted posts on Facebook are a bullshit cash grab by Facebook to take advantage of people who don't know or understand the platform and how it actually could fit into their business. People who think that 'engagement metrics' are the end all be all of social media marketing. Poor saps. People waste thousands of dollars on FB advertising without even knowing if they're getting a ROI.

In fact, 90% of the 'killer features' that Facebook has are completely useless for most people. Including promoted posts.

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth
In many ways, I would LOVE to #DeleteFacebook, delete other forms of social media, and free myself from the distractions and garbage they can be associated with....

BUT then again, the access to these social networking communities and the information available on them to others and ourselves is immensely valuable.

As people like Gary Vaynerchuk and Grant Cardone preach, these platforms are the future, and not carving out your own place on them could significantly hinder your professional opportunities. That's about all that's stopping me from saying "yes, go ahead and #DeleteFacebook." Is there any other way?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
these platforms are the future, and not carving out your own place on them could significantly hinder your professional opportunities. That's about all that's stopping me from saying "yes, go ahead and #DeleteFacebook." Is there any other way?

Absolutely.

If you have popcorn and hot dogs to sell, it doesn't make sense to stand on a residential street corner and scream "Hot dogs!"-- it makes better sense to go to the ballpark.

At the end of the day, I treat them like channels. I don't go to the ballpark to watch a game, I'm going there to reach an audience.

Youngrahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 28, 2018
England originally from Korea
I'm glad you put this up!
I've been following you on Facebook ever since I finished the first chapter of your book and was wondering if you were using that platform often. By the way, I really like your profile picture :)

I'm hardly on Facebook but still believe Facebook is a very useful tool especially for someone who is away from his/her family and friends like myself. My husband, for instance, has been in the military over 10 years and he hasn't lived in America for 8 years so Facebook sometimes plays a big role as a tool which helps him share photos of us with his family in a few seconds.

Even though I still think they are useful for me, I got rid of Facebook app and its messenger app from my phone a while ago. Because there is nothing more annoying than being a part of 3 different chat groups that I have never volunteered to become a part of.

I check my Facebook only on my desktop these days and it feels great knowing that Facebook and its messenger do not own my two most precious resources, time and attention anymore. :blush:

Anyway, I must admit this forum really adds value to my life. Thank you for this wonderful creation, MJ!

Last edited:
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Not to mention dumb phones! I was waiting to see when somebody was going to come out with a nice dumb phone because a lot of us are over the smart phone thing. Then I saw this one: This beautifully designed 'dumb phone' can only make calls and send texts — and it might be the key to curing our addiction to apps

Please, someone in this forum make its competitor! All I want is a GNSS chip (in case I get kidnapped) and possibly a camera and then it's perfect!

DAMN! What a beautiful phone and solid concept.

I can't get behind the $250 price point, though. I guess you're really paying for the aesthetic, but it doesn't really work as a mass-market phone for people who simply want a lighter experience. Any neanderthal can buy a fully-equipped budget android smartphone for less (My Moto G from 2 years ago was ~$180).

I think the next best thing would be to sell a smartphone with a stripped-down Android OS build on it, specifically for people who want a lighter experience. Basically Android without GServices, App Store, and maybe 3-4 functions.

My grandmother bought a "Jitterbug" phone, which does something similar.
All they had to do was literally find a generic phone, package it with their stripped-down flavor of Android preloaded on it, and sell to old people:

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 1.43.29 PM.png

I can't find anyone else who does what I've just described (marketed to people who want a lighter smartphone experience) but if anyone has any thoughts, chime in.

Bdubz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Feb 6, 2014
Deleted Facebook when I was 18. I don’t like Instagram either bc I find myself wasting time non stop scrolling at meaningless non sense. But I do like the aspect of keeping pics and taking them throughout my journey of life so I can one day look back on it and reminisce. I don’t tell anyone I have one. No one comments or likes and that’s how I want it. Most people do it for others it’s 100% for my future self.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
LOL. Not a stretch for the average congressional idiot.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think some of y'all are missing the point about Facebook. I have 0 family members as my friends and 0 real friends as my friends. I don't keep up with the drama.... I don't keep up with politics..... I don't have to make remarks that would run some customers away because I can't keep my fingers from typing stupid stuff.... yet today alone it has made me $2049 so far and the day isn't even over yet.....

NadiaZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 27, 2018
Kansas City
I think social media is a waste of time but it's great for building your brand and name recognition.

If you're producing stuff on there and advertising it, helps a lot. I've made social media pages for vacation homes and it's helped me get some clients.

As for individual use, I don't have a business yet but once I get my real estate stuff going, I'll be posting more videos and stuff to promote my "brand" as a real estate agent.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
The more I'm on Facebook (not as a time wasting exercise) the more my business grows. All I have to say is for business owners, avoid the platform at your own peril. The networking, availability of rich industry specific knowledge, ability to easily target specific demographics for any business, and the list goes on. So long as you avoid the typical Sidewalker traps there is gold everywhere if you keep your eyes peeled.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Thanks to this Forum, my FB and IG are now at a minimal, heck I can't even remember the last time logging in. Whereas 6 months ago, both were an addiction. I love this forum so much. Thank you MJ!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.