The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Deal with massive shipping costs?

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
Hello,

I've partnered with a manufacturer that is currently based in the United Kingdom (I'm in Canada) to sell fashion-related items. I don't think I'll have any problems selling to people in the U.K and in Europe since shipping costs are very low. However, they charge a massive 40$ USD to ship to any other countries such as the U.S and Canada and another 50$ for very distant countries like Australia.

Should I give up trying to sell to those people? I've clearly specified the shipping costs on my website but I doubt that is gonna make a difference. I've thought about increasing all of my product's prices but quickly realized that would be ridiculous especially for a newly established brand with little to no recognition. My prices go from 30 to 120$ CAD.

I can barely make any profit from a sale (around 10$) if I'm shipping to these countries. If someone in e-commerce has already faced that sort of issue, I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Sigh.

Instead of reinventing the wheel I'm just gonna post this thread from Biophase.

The margin is the margin for a reason

In short, you have to increase your prices or settle with a low margin. Or avoid the countries if you're not willing to do either.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Just off the top of my head...

1. find some more manufacturers
2. manufacturer in asia, import and dispatch from Canada

It's literally the job of the entrepreneur to solve these problems for the benefit of the market. Solve & profit.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
is there demand for the product?
can it be shipped cheaper?
can you increase the sale price to gobble up shipping costs?
OR can you move the product in the UK/Europe market to make it worth your while whilst ignoring the markets where shipping is expensive?

People hate paying shipping costs. in a perfect world you'll absorb shipping fees into the product cost and offer cheap or free shipping, but its not always possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Determine your best selling products
Import larger orders to a fulfilment center in the US.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.