The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Website as a Service Business (WaaS)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Hey, all long time lurker, my name is Gar and I'm 30, from Dublin, Ireland. Some of the below is a repost form my intro thread.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade in my slow lane job. I suppose my entrepreneurial journey all began when I read the 4 hour work week, pretty sure since reading it I’ve worked way more than the average person, not 4 hours, but it helped to contextualize some thoughts that I had in my head about being an employee. I remember thinking that I could be one of the most valuable people in that company, but that as an employee there's always going to be a ceiling, I can't ask for a 1000% pay raise, I can help save the company a fortune with the way something is designed (and have done numerous times) but none of those savings will ever go into my pocket. With this in mind, I started looking at some ideas.

The first idea I looked into was drop shipping, after looking around at what to sell I eventually settled on vinyl record players (not really sure why thinking back on it). I got to work and found a supplier and got building my site. Once the site was built I quickly realised that having a website is the easy part, it's actually getting traffic to it that's hard. Unsure what to do from here I settled on running Facebook ads. The ad campaign wasn't really much of a success but considering I hadn't really much of a clue what I was doing I basically recouped the cost of running it and made a couple of sales. I distinctly remember I was on a weekend away with some friends in Poland and getting a notification that I made a sale while doing nothing. This helped prove to myself it’s possible to make money on the internet but I didn't think the margin was there on the record players.

After taking a couple of weeks away I came across an eBook about running Instagram accounts and then selling t-shirts with them so decided to give it a go. I set to work setting up 4 different niche accounts and posted a couple of pictures to them each day. I also found a bot that could automate liking and following other accounts for you to help grow them. After a few weeks and getting into a couple thousand followers on each account I started posting some t-shirts on them with a link to buy. After a few sales came in I decided to scale this up and went about creating a network of over 150 accounts and set them all up on autopilot. Over the course of about a year and a half this made a bit north of $50,000 with very little effort just occasional maintenance every so often.

Around the same time a guy joined my team in my slowlane job and we soon found out that we had similar ideas and began discussing potential business ideas. I showed him my whole Instagram setup and we decided that since I had managed to grow my Instagram accounts to a cumulative total of about 7 million followers people would probably pay for the same service to grow their own personal accounts. From this we decided to set up an Instagram Management Service. We also recruited one of his friends from college and set to work. Between the three of us we managed to grow the service to over 300 clients at it peak paying anywhere from $50 to $75 per month with a total income of about $28000/month.

The problem however is Instagram really cracked down on botting, and as many of you can probably guess this violates MJ’s control aspect the CENTs framework so we always knew this was a possibility. With this in mind I started looking into other more sustainable avenues and ended up signing up to @Fox Web School last year which has been a great help for me so far. I've learned a tonne about sales and have gotten lots of value out of it. Anyway, I've worked on a good few websites now and from talking to some business owners I've decided to try and create a subscription-based website agency as opposed to the more traditional once-off payment approach.

The idea behind this is that first of all reoccurring revenue is awesome and I personally much prefer having a better idea of what revenue is going to be coming in each month then wondering if certain deals are going to close or not and if it'll be a $0 month or not. Another reason is that I like the process of business and helping business owners. From a lot of the business owners I've talked to their businesses could really have benefited from a well-structured website but they didn't necessarily have the budget to be able to create one. By offering a subscription-based website, at an affordable price I'm hoping to be able to target smaller service type businesses and get them hooked up with a website that really benefits their business and gives them a good ROI. Basically they get the website designed at a super low cost and its paid off over 12 months (min contract length), after that, the plan is they'll be extremely satisfied with the service, value provided, and ROI from their site that they'll stay signed up.

The main idea is that initially (i.e. until I scale up and have a team member) I will be the main point of contact for the client for anything to do with their website. I'll provide hosting, the domain, email accounts, maintenance, security updates, etc. so they'll never need to worry about anything going wrong, all they need to do is call me and I'll fix their problems. I dont have everything figured out yet but I'll iterate and figure stuff out as I go. Basically I want to sell peace of mind to them.

I want to use this thread for accountability and also to document each step I take along the way, my thoughts etc. and plan to make weekly updates every Sunday. Any questions just stick them up and I'll try answer them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
I have started businees with an almost exactly the same business model that you have stated.

Right now I'm on the phase two of this business. (phase one didn't work).

Now I plan to charge a monthly fee for online sales consulting and give them the website "for free".

Will follow your thread.

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
I have started businees with an almost exactly the same business model that you have stated.

Right now I'm on the phase two of this business. (phase one didn't work).

Now I plan to charge a monthly fee for online sales consulting and give them the website "for free".

Will follow your thread.

If you don't mind me asking what didn't work for you in your phase 1 approach?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey, all long time lurker, my name is Gar and I'm 30, from Dublin, Ireland. Some of the below is a repost form my intro thread.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade in my slow lane job. I suppose my entrepreneurial journey all began when I read the 4 hour work week, pretty sure since reading it I’ve worked way more than the average person, not 4 hours, but it helped to contextualize some thoughts that I had in my head about being an employee. I remember thinking that I could be one of the most valuable people in that company, but that as an employee there's always going to be a ceiling, I can't ask for a 1000% pay raise, I can help save the company a fortune with the way something is designed (and have done numerous times) but none of those savings will ever go into my pocket. With this in mind, I started looking at some ideas.

The first idea I looked into was drop shipping, after looking around at what to sell I eventually settled on vinyl record players (not really sure why thinking back on it). I got to work and found a supplier and got building my site. Once the site was built I quickly realised that having a website is the easy part, it's actually getting traffic to it that's hard. Unsure what to do from here I settled on running Facebook ads. The ad campaign wasn't really much of a success but considering I hadn't really much of a clue what I was doing I basically recouped the cost of running it and made a couple of sales. I distinctly remember I was on a weekend away with some friends in Poland and getting a notification that I made a sale while doing nothing. This helped prove to myself it’s possible to make money on the internet but I didn't think the margin was there on the record players.

After taking a couple of weeks away I came across an eBook about running Instagram accounts and then selling t-shirts with them so decided to give it a go. I set to work setting up 4 different niche accounts and posted a couple of pictures to them each day. I also found a bot that could automate liking and following other accounts for you to help grow them. After a few weeks and getting into a couple thousand followers on each account I started posting some t-shirts on them with a link to buy. After a few sales came in I decided to scale this up and went about creating a network of over 150 accounts and set them all up on autopilot. Over the course of about a year and a half this made a bit north of $50,000 with very little effort just occasional maintenance every so often.

Around the same time a guy joined my team in my slowlane job and we soon found out that we had similar ideas and began discussing potential business ideas. I showed him my whole Instagram setup and we decided that since I had managed to grow my Instagram accounts to a cumulative total of about 7 million followers people would probably pay for the same service to grow their own personal accounts. From this we decided to set up an Instagram Management Service. We also recruited one of his friends from college and set to work. Between the three of us we managed to grow the service to over 300 clients at it peak paying anywhere from $50 to $75 per month with a total income of about $28000/month.

The problem however is Instagram really cracked down on botting, and as many of you can probably guess this violates MJ’s control aspect the CENTs framework so we always knew this was a possibility. With this in mind I started looking into other more sustainable avenues and ended up signing up to @Fox Web School last year which has been a great help for me so far. I've learned a tonne about sales and have gotten lots of value out of it. Anyway, I've worked on a good few websites now and from talking to some business owners I've decided to try and create a subscription-based website agency as opposed to the more traditional once-off payment approach.

The idea behind this is that first of all reoccurring revenue is awesome and I personally much prefer having a better idea of what revenue is going to be coming in each month then wondering if certain deals are going to close or not and if it'll be a $0 month or not. Another reason is that I like the process of business and helping business owners. From a lot of the business owners I've talked to their businesses could really have benefited from a well-structured website but they didn't necessarily have the budget to be able to create one. By offering a subscription-based website, at an affordable price I'm hoping to be able to target smaller service type businesses and get them hooked up with a website that really benefits their business and gives them a good ROI. Basically they get the website designed at a super low cost and its paid off over 12 months (min contract length), after that, the plan is they'll be extremely satisfied with the service, value provided, and ROI from their site that they'll stay signed up.

The main idea is that initially (i.e. until I scale up and have a team member) I will be the main point of contact for the client for anything to do with their website. I'll provide hosting, the domain, email accounts, maintenance, security updates, etc. so they'll never need to worry about anything going wrong, all they need to do is call me and I'll fix their problems. I dont have everything figured out yet but I'll iterate and figure stuff out as I go. Basically I want to sell peace of mind to them.

I want to use this thread for accountability and also to document each step I take along the way, my thoughts etc. and plan to make weekly updates every Sunday. Any questions just stick them up and I'll try answer them.
Some nice results with your previous endevours.

I'm kinda renting out websites and landing pages. I'm moving to Wix for some of this. I've created a simple Wix site in the Wix ADI and even this morning I duplicated it and granted access to it for a couple of Google Ads clients so they could have a tinker. If they want it live on their own domain then I'll give it to them and they can pay the €14/mth Wix fee. If they want it on my directory then I'll pay the €14/mth and figure out what to charge them (if anything).

EDIT: I'm in Co Kildare. If you're ever passing through then give me a shout and we can meet for a coffee.

Last edited:

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Some nice results with your previous endevours.

I'm kinda renting out websites and landing pages. I'm moving to Wix for some of this. I've created a simple Wix site in the Wix ADI and even this morning I duplicated it and granted access to it for a couple of Google Ads clients so they could have a tinker. If they want it live on their own domain then I'll give it to them and they can pay the €14/mth Wix fee. If they want it on my directory then I'll pay the €14/mth and figure out what to charge them (if anything).

EDIT: I'm in Co Kildare. If you're ever passing through then give me a shout and we can meet for a coffee.

Thanks Andy, Yeah those previous businesses were really interesting to run and I definitely learned a tonne doing it, managing VA's, sorting out taxes, setting up a client helpdesk, onboarding processes and much more. It was a great experience and I think should really stand to me in this new venture too as there should be a lot of cross over. I'm actually living in Leixlip myself currently, would definitely meet up for a coffee, have a slow lane job Mon-Wed but other than that just let me know when and where!

Edit: Just looked up WIX ADI there, seems interesting enough, how do you find it? I've used Wix in the past but found that it's really limited in what it can do compared to something like wordpress

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy, Yeah those previous businesses were really interesting to run and I definitely learned a tonne doing it, managing VA's, sorting out taxes, setting up a client helpdesk, onboarding processes and much more. It was a great experience and I think should really stand to me in this new venture too as there should be a lot of cross over. I'm actually living in Leixlip myself currently, would definitely meet up for a coffee, have a slow lane job Mon-Wed but other than that just let me know when and where!

Edit: Just looked up WIX ADI there, seems interesting enough, how do you find it? I've used Wix in the past but found that it's really limited in what it can do compared to something like wordpress
Wow. Spooky. One of our sons played against Leixlip U10 Hurling yesterday.

For clients, and my own projects, the “limitations” that web developers see with the Wix ADI are one of its plus points. Less fiddling so we can get on with generating enquiries and sales.

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Wow. Spooky. One of our sons played against Leixlip U10 Hurling yesterday.

For clients, and my own projects, the “limitations” that web developers see with the Wix ADI are one of its plus points. Less fiddling so we can get on with generating enquiries and sales.

Small world, the GAA pitches are only down the road from me!

Yeah, I can see that, I've had some clients that seem to lose track of the bigger picture of actually generating those results and agonize over such minute details that really won't matter to their bottom line for weeks on end. For my own clients, I use a theme called DIVI that's quite WIX like in some ways, visual building, drop and drop, etc. I tend to spin it that it means its easy for them to make edits without being stuck getting a website developer or having to figure out how code works.

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update
So currently I've got the first version of my website finished. Have the packages listed on it and have a payment processor hooked up. I'm using a combo of Billsby and Stripe on the site to manage client subscriptions and handle payments. The plan this week is to test that process all the way through to make sure it all works like it should and then push the site live.

In terms of who I plan to target for this service, I'm currently thinking small service businesses are an ideal fit, 1-5 employees, trades type business, think plumbing, electricians, carpenters, cleaners, etc. I've spoken already to a good few of these types of business owners and have worked on some projects in these areas and believe there can be a good fit there.

I've been working on a high-level overview of how the onboarding process is going to work, basically, it's going to look something like this:

1 - Prospecting
Cold Emails, Cold Calling, Bark.com, Physical Mail to newly formed companies.

2 - Sales Call
Once I get interested leads I want to get them on the phone for a 30ish minute call. During this, I'll get a better understanding of there business and the problems they face be it sales, marketing, client-related, etc., the goals of the business owner/business and build up the problems/need for a solution. From here we'll talk budget and discuss which package might make sense for the business to go with. Also if a business owner wants to just buy a site outright I'm happy for that to happen too.

3 - Sale Happens
The client purchases the package we discuss in the sales call and then we set up a discovery meeting to run through the project in more detail

4 - Discovery Meeting/Project Kickoff Meeting
For this I plan on using a "customer saga workbook" which I've gotten for a web design course that really helps to layout the site in a very easy to use manner It goes through questions on the businesses clients, what they want, whats their problems, how the business can be the mentor in the situation and help their clients get the desired outcome, etc. It also helps to structure the homepage of the website in a really optimal way, helping lean on the visitors' emotions and backing it up with logic to entice the purchase, phone call, booking, etc.

5 - Website 1st Draft
Basically we take the outcome from the Discovery Meeting and create the 1st version of the website and review it with the client

6 - Website 2nd Draft
Update Website based on comments from 1st draft review

7- Website Final Draft
Update Website based on comments from 2nd draft review

That's the rough process I have for onboarding currently and it can and probably will change as I put it into practice.

Separately to this, I have a current client that I'm working on a website for and am in the process of creating branding and the initial wireframe of the website. They have a list of specific pages they want on the site but when creating this initial wireframe I feel like some of these pages they want are either redundant or could be combined into few pages to achieve a better result. I've also sent over some draft logo options to them and gotten some feedback but I'm still waiting on more. I'm going to try arrange a zoom call for later in the week to try and put these to issues to bed so I can begin the development of the site itself soon.

Main Goals for this Week
Fully test the payment process and make sure it all works, i.e. Payment works, automated emails go out, etc.
Push new Website Live
Have a meeting with my client about branding and wireframes

Misc Goals for the Week
Swap over some subscriptions to my Business Revolut account
Add Freshdesk ticketing system to my support email
Clean out some old projects on my current hosting plan
Change registered company address to new house
Go to the driving range
Play a round of golf

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update
I'm a little late to post my update for last week. It was a holiday weekend here in Ireland and my mother's birthday so didn't have a chance to sit down and write this on Sunday. Looking back at last weeks goals I had the following to do:

Main Goals for last Week
Fully test the payment process and make sure it all works, i.e. Payment works, automated emails go out, etc.
Push new Website Live
Have a meeting with my client about branding and wireframes

Misc Goals for last Week
Swap over some subscriptions to my Business Revolut account
Add Freshdesk ticketing system to my support email
Clean out some old projects on my current hosting plan
Change registered company address to new house

Go to the driving range
Play a round of golf

So I got pretty much everything don't that I wanted to except play some golf, I need to make sure I schedule in some downtime so I don't burn myself out and have a tee time booked for this Saturday at least.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I achieved last week, I do find myself questioning if I could have done more. I'm conscious that in the past I've set big lofty goals for myself and end up overloading my to-do list which inevitably means that I don't reach it and get demotivated so I'm trying to strike a balance currently.

My meeting with my current client went well, We've agreed on some of the basic branding and wireframes for their site so that'll allow me to get started on it, this is a €3k site but to be honest, I feel like I've undercharged it. There's a good bit of work going into it but all I can do is deliver what's promised to the best of my ability and learn to charge more for this sort of work in the future. I've agreed to have some initial designs for 6 pages on the site done for this Friday so they can have a look at the direction of the site and get some feedback to me. I've already started on this over the weekend and have the bulk of the home page done so hopefully the rest should fall into place quickly.

I've also agreed to create a small website for a friend, its more of a magazine/blog style site which I haven't really done before so it'll be interesting to do but ultimately its not something I really expect to be creating a whole lot of going forward. He's already got all the content created for the site so I just need to add it to some blog posts and style it so shouldn't really take too long.

I have 3-4 prospects that I need to follow up on also this week for deals potentially ranging from €1.5k to €3k also. I'm gonna give these guys a call and see if I can get some of these deals over the line. These leads came up before I pivoted to going the WaaS route, after I finish off with these leads I'm gonna turn my focus more towards selling WaaS services instead.

Main Goals for the Week
Create an initial 6-page draft website for my current client.
Add all content received to magazine/blog style site for friend
Setup meeting with friend to hammer out colour schemes/styling
Follow up with existing prospects

Main Goals for the Month
Finish Main Clients Website
Finish Friends Magazine/Blog Site
Catch Up on some Fox Webshool videos
Begin Prospecting for WaaS Clients

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update

Main Goals for the Past Week

Create an initial 6-page draft website for my current client.
Add all content received to magazine/blog style site for friend
Setup meeting with friend to hammer out colour schemes/styling
Follow up with existing prospects

That was a busy enough week. I got everything done that I wanted to but creating the 6-page draft website fro my current client really took a lot longer than I would have liked. I'm not totally sure why it took me so long, my best guess at the minute revolves around not *fully* getting exactly what their services actually entail. Because of that, I struggled a bit with the layout of the site and also some of the styling. They work in XML documentation and I think I struggled a bit with the imagery on the site since its such a specific niche, spent ages looking for good images/icons to try and convey some points. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the outcome, I think the site hits a lot of the points they wanted and conveys the right branding traits that they are looking to portray for the company. I've already mentioned how I feel like I've undercharged for this project but just gotta keep my head down and learn from it. I have a meeting with them on Friday to discuss their thoughts on the site so far and get some feedback on the general direction.

Because I feel like I struggled with creating the site and took a little longer than I would have liked on it I'm going to catch up on @Fox web school content for building a website. I'm sure I'll pick up a few bits in there to help speed up the process a little bit and get a little bit more of a system in place. I've fallen a bit behind on some of this content and have made a point of trying to getting back up to speed this month.

For this site my client also wants to add a restricted area for their clients with access to whitepapers and other content. I haven't done something like this before so I'll need to play around with some plugins to see what I can do. I'll discuss their specific requirements for this plugin also on Friday. If anyone has any recommended plugins for this fire them my way.

I've gotten all the content up on the site for my friend too, was interesting creating a bit of a different style site that what I'm used to but can't really see myself doing something like this again. I'll be speaking with him later on about the colours/styling of the site so once I have tho details I just need to apply them to the site and it should be finished, this is a low priority task however so it can happen later on in the week.

I followed up with a few leads I had also, not too much to report here. One of them is working with a local enterprise office here in Ireland to avail of a grant to help build his website so I needed to send him on an updated quote. other than that the other leads are still waiting to make a decision so it's a waiting game with them, although I get the feeling not much will come of them but I have it in my calendar to follow up in a few weeks time.

Main Goals for the Week
Catch up on Fox Web School build a great website module
Figure out which plugin to use for XML clients restricted area
Add colour schemes/styling to friends website

Main Goals for the Month

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update

Catch up on Fox Web School build a great website module
Figure out which plugin to use for XML clients restricted area

Add colour schemes/styling to friends website

Kind of a meh week to be honest, don't feel great about what I got done. I managed to get most of my goals finished but feel like I could be working more efficiently and effectively going forward. With my friend's website, he wasn't free at all this week to discuss it (we were supposed to go through this last Monday but something came up) so I couldn't progress really on that front. I'm doing this as a favour to him so I just want to get it over with at this stage so it stops taking up too much of my time/mental capacity. I'm due to talk to him later today so I really wanna push for that to go ahead so I can get this off my plate.

I've decided to go with WP-Client for the restricted area on my client's website. It looks like it does everything that they want, individual client areas, upload files, shared private files with clients etc. so I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I think it cost about $59 and its a once-off payment so it fits what I was looking for great. I had come across a few other options but a lot of them had a yearly cost in the 100's of $ and to be fair had way more features than my client really wants or needs. I was due to have a meeting with this client last Friday, which then changed to Thursday and then was pushed to next week so I've been kind of treading water on this one currently waiting for feedback on the initial designs I've sent over. This same client also needs a knowledge base on their website so I'm planning to figure out that side of things this week too while I wait on feedback.

Really I think with both my meetings on my current projects getting pushed back it kind of left me not really knowing what to be doing. In retrospect I should have rejigged some of my monthly goals to make sure I'm still moving forward and towards my goals, lesson learned for next time.

One of the big things that I want to start moving on this week is to create a prospecting plan for WaaS clients. There's a few ideas I have going around in my head, mainly cold calling, cold emailing but I'm also thinking about running paid search ads too and maybe spending a couple of 100 over the next few months. Paid search is something new to me though so there will be a steep learning curve involved so I'm not really sure if now is the right time to look at this or its better to get a few clients under my belt first.

In other news though I've been talking to the two guys I mentioned in the original post in this thread that I created the Instagram growth business with. It looks like they're gonna join me in his venture which I'm super excited about. I've worked with them before so I know the three of us work really well together with some complementary skills and I'm a strong believer in "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" idea so really believe with the three of us on board we'll be able to create something special. Currently, they both work full time so they'll be helping me out part-time to start with until we can get this business to a place where it can support us all, but having that little bit of backup from them if I'm stuck on something technically or just more pairs of ears to bounce ideas off or get another point of view if a nice boost mentally for me. We're planning to sit down this Wednesday to work out a plan for the next year and where we want the company to be at that point.

I suppose I'll share now but overall I know what the end goal the three of us share for the company is, we've discussed this idea at length, we want to build up a property portfolio. The really high level idea is initially we get the company bringing in €10-20k/month and using that to fund downpayments to start buying apartments and renting them out. The idea is that after a couple of years doing this we should be able to build up a decent portfolio, building equity and also building up the company and it's revenue more and more in a snowball like fashion. Eventually, the plan would then be to either pull the trigger and begin to liquidate the apartments or live off the rental income while the web design company runs with staff and management put in place and work on whatever passion hobbies/projects we have, travel, etc. Its a long way away, but that's the idea.

Main Goals for the Week
Figure out knowledge base for clients site
Setup year plan for the business with my two partners
Create a prospecting for WaaS clients

Main Goals for the Month

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update

Figure out knowledge base for clients site
Setup year plan for the business with my two partners
Create a prospecting for WaaS clients

Got everything I wanted done this week and its starting to feel like I'm moving forward. I've got my friend's site pretty much done now hopefully so that should free me up a fair amount. I've handed him the site over now so probably need to make a few small tweaks after he looks through it but shouldn't be more than an hour or two worth of work.

For my current paying client, I've gone with Echo Knowledge Base on WordPress. It's been pretty straightforward and easy to use so far and should be easy for the client to update also. We had a meeting last Thursday and they are pretty happy with the current direction and progress so far which was a nice positive to hear. I still have some service pages to create for this site and I'm waiting on the client to provide some of the copywriting as they are very specific about what they want to talk about. So ith that in mind my main focus for the site this week is setting up two prototype users for the websites restricted area and that they get assigned to see the right types of knowledge base and files.

Other than that I've met with my two friends last week and we're going to be moving forward together on this. We've set ourselves the goal of getting 5 clients over the next 3 months. This should be achievable, ideally I'd like more than 5, but this is what we have in mind to start with. It should be enough clients to allow us to start to systemize some of the business, i.e. prospecting methods, sales calls, discovery, production and support. From this base the idea would then be to try and scale the growth through further outreach.

So basically who are there clients and how do we get them? My initial line of thinking is to target small trades type businesses that could benefit from having a webstie, i.e. 1-5 employees, plumbers, painters, landscapers etc. I've also finished a site recently for a chartered surveyor so I'm thinking of targeting that group also and using the site I've previously done as leverage. So for reaching these types of clients im thinking initally to use cold emails to try and setup a sales call. Once I get on a call with them I should be able to close a few deals, I'm feeling fairly confident about my ability to sell and also build up the value in the service I'm offering. I guess the trcky part will be actually getting a response to the email to begin with. For the email I plan to send out I'm thinking something along the liens of the below:

"Hi,

Just a very quick email, I’m currently finishing up helping out Acme Inc in Dublin with increasing their sales and I thought you might be interested.

The project has totally revised their online presence to help generate new leads, increase sales and reduce repetitive admin tasks.

We came across your website when we were in the research phase and believe some of what we have implemented would be highly relevant to your own business and wanted to see if a quick call was possible. I can show you what we are doing to generate these new leads, and how you could easily be doing something similar yourself.

If you want to check it out here… www.acme.com

Would love to talk this week – just let me know what time is good?

Kind Regards,
Gar1od1"

Besides just using this approach we're also going to start actively looking into using google ads to generate some leads too. We're in the fortunate postion of having some cash in the bank from the previous instagram business and are thinking of figuring out how to run some campaigns to try and kickstart the business and see just how viable it can be. None of us have every ran google ads before so that will be a bit of a learning curve alright but I think we all agree that it could be a valuable skill worth having for both this business and future ones.

Main Goals for the Week
Final Changes to Friends Magazine/Blog Site
Create Sample Restricted Areas and Knowledgebase for XML Client
Send 100 Cold Emails
Start Google Adwords Research

Main Goals for the Month

Gar1od1

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 29, 2017
Dublin
Weekly Update

Final Changes to Friends Magazine/Blog Site
Create Sample Restricted Areas and Knowledgebase for XML Client

Send 100 Cold Emails - 25 Sent
Start Google Adwords Research

Got most of what I wanted done this week to move forward. I didn't send 100 cold emails because I've decided to pivot on the idea and instead send more personalised video audits for the prospects current website. Basically a short video <5mins running through their website and areas that they can improve on. By offering some value upfront and then following up a few days later with a phone call I'm hoping that will be a more effective system then simply sending out cold emails. Because I want to call them during business hours and I work Monday-Wednesday 9-5, my plan is to record the videos the week before, then send them out over the course of Tuesday- Wednesday so I can follow up with the call on Thursday & Friday. I'll be using loom to record the videos and send them via email. Loom actually lets you add the video directly into the email as a gif so I'm hoping that will entice a few people to click on them and watch them.

Other than that I spoke with a few guys who recommended @Andy Black's Adwords Jumpstart course so I've signed up to that and will be getting started into it this week and hopefully will have my first ad up and running to gather data. From the little bit I've seen of the course so far it looks like exactly what I was looking for so I'm eager to get stuck in.

I've continued on with my current clients website in the meantime and created a sample "restricted area" for their customers to access certain documents and their company knowledgebase. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but more importantly so was my client. I'm getting to a point on this project now where I'm waiting on them to get back to me with certain info and content so I have a feeling progress on this will start to slow a little over the next couple of weeks, more time for prospecting though and landing that first subscription client so all good!

An older client reached out and needs some small updates done to her site, she tried to make the changes herself with predictably bad results, so I have a zoom call booked in for Thursday at 3pm also. I feel like I'm probably being a little ambitious this week with my goals as I have a trip booked with some friends to go down the country at the weekend so that just leaves me with Monday-Wednesday evening, Thursday and Friday morning but I'm going to do what I can to hit them anyway

Main Goals for the Week
Record 25 Video Audits
Get through Andy Blacks AdWords Jumpstart Course and get first ad up and running

Main Goals for the Month

Main Goals for Next Month
Land my First Subscription Client

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.