The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Thriving Personal Brand w/ YouTube - A Journal & A Personal Guide.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
OK, I’m writing this on my phone so it may not be structured too nicely, but the money stats have come through:

My CPM is about £14.34 (images attached below)

I received a total of 22.2k monetised playbacks (people whohave actually seen ad on my videos) - now bare in mind I only started monetising the videos less than 48 hours ago, so it doesn’t account for all the views we‘ve had before that.

My total estimated revenue is £180 since I started monetising. I’m not too sure if YT takes a cut from this or if this is the direct amount that goes into my ad sense account, I’ll need to research this a little more but just wanted to fill you guys in!

I’ll likely do an update post where I go through exactly how this monetisation stuff works once I’ve figured it out.

But yeah, £14.34 CPM is incredible...

33075 33077

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
mate, this thread deserves a lot of attention, wow, I said before but keep smashing it.

1 question, on your recent ‘Money’ video, how did you get around using clips from movies and tv shows? Do you think monetisation will be an issue for that?

Great question!

As far as the fair use guidelines are concerened the way in which I use the movie clips in my videos is fine.

There are also many other channels on YouTube that include movie clips that have been around for a long time and are still monetised, so I don't think it's a huge concern.

However, issues like fair use can have quite a grey area, so there is a slight risk there...

I'm thinking of ways around this, but that's much more down the line, and I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
@Valier very nice job man, I checked out your channel.
I really liked The toxic world of self help.

One thing that stands out to me, above ALL else, is your voice.
I read through the thread and I get what you are trying to do with monetization through ad revenue, courses and other stuff like that.
Consider getting more exposure to your buttery voice.
I can see you becoming a voice actor with no problems. And once you start networking with other actors, the sky is the limit.
I think its worth posting your videos in places where people are looking for voice talent.

P.S. My point is, dont "make" the courses, "voice" the courses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Really impressive and well done!

So cool to see this and I will have to come back and go through this thread in detail to see what I can use on my own channel (a lot!). Thanks for these detailed posts - its super useful advice.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
2nd alex.

@Valier you said the monetization had only gone on for 48hrs (when you posted). Does this mean you earned £180 in 48hrs? Wow.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
2nd alex.

@Valier you said the monetization had only gone on for 48hrs (when you posted). Does this mean you earned £180 in 48hrs? Wow.

According to YT's "estimated revenue"... yeah.

That number is now at £1,064. Which has blown my mind. I don't think I'll truly believe that figure until it's actually in my bank account.

As for the accuracy of these estimates - from what I've seen online - they're fairly accurate give or take about 10% margin for error.

Again, I'm not sure whether I NET this amount, or if YT takes some sort of fees or something else goes on in between. I'll definitely report on that when I find out.

YouTube pays people 1 month after their earnings, and it's usually on the 21st. So I won't know for sure until the 21st of June.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
@Valier very nice job man, I checked out your channel.
I really liked The toxic world of self help.

One thing that stands out to me, above ALL else, is your voice.
I read through the thread and I get what you are trying to do with monetization through ad revenue, courses and other stuff like that.
Consider getting more exposure to your buttery voice.
I can see you becoming a voice actor with no problems. And once you start networking with other actors, the sky is the limit.
I think its worth posting your videos in places where people are looking for voice talent.

P.S. My point is, dont "make" the courses, "voice" the courses.

Yes!

It's definitely something I've been thinking about! But it's part of the larger picture of things. I'll elaborate on this more in another post, but the first 1-2 years of this I want to dedicate to building up the channel and creating that video editing course.

IF all goes well, the capital raised from doing that is going to allow me to expand things into much more than just a channel - again, more on this in the future.

But I'm definitely building contacts at the moment!! Or should I say, my channel is building contacts for me.

I've spoken to a guy who has a film production company that has had a movie on Netflix (nothing big, but still impressive - and it means he has a connection with them).

I also have a call on Saturday with someone who has done a lot of work for the BBC and is now writing a satire film about "fake gurus" which he'd love to talk to me about.

Again - it blows my mind how powerful just having my channel is. These people are coming to me, I'm not making any cold calls, or emails, or anything. It's insane...

SebastiaanVaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
May 19, 2020
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Incredible. It's all I can say. I've read the entire guide here so far. If there's one thing I've got from you it's pure INSPIRATION. You got recommended to me by the YT algorithm and since then I got hooked on both your videos and on the idea that I can do the same as you.

I've been procrastinating on starting my own YT channel for the past two years. Now it's over. I'm doing this. And together with your guide and experience which you are sharing with us here as well as your advice which you were so incredibly nice to share with me on LinkedIn, nothing can stop me other than... Myself.

I might start a thread just like this one. I'm pumped. And a HUGE congrats on all the success you're having. Incredible story man. I wish it will all 10x and I know it will. Keep doing what you're doing brother. We're with you.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Incredible. It's all I can say. I've read the entire guide here so far. If there's one thing I've got from you it's pure INSPIRATION. You got recommended to me by the YT algorithm and since then I got hooked on both your videos and on the idea that I can do the same as you.

I've been procrastinating on starting my own YT channel for the past two years. Now it's over. I'm doing this. And together with your guide and experience which you are sharing with us here as well as your advice which you were so incredibly nice to share with me on LinkedIn, nothing can stop me other than... Myself.

I might start a thread just like this one. I'm pumped. And a HUGE congrats on all the success you're having. Incredible story man. I wish it will all 10x and I know it will. Keep doing what you're doing brother. We're with you.

:smile:

I'm so glad you found it helpful Sebastiaan - and thank you so much for taking the time to read everything!

I wish you the best with your own YouTube channel - just remember that it's always the hardest getting that first video posted. Once you've got it posted, turn your focus to producing quality content!

Ethan S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 27, 2019
@Valier this is simply amazing.. The jump you've made in editing skill in such a short time seems incredible. Well done.

I wonder if you would be willing to share a little about the process you went through while learning the skills needed to succeed here? Specifically: Script Writing, Video Editing and Presenting/Speaking.

Those are all non-trivial and valuable skills. (Especially when stacked together as you have).

Not looking for a full how-to or anything but maybe just some tips/resources you've found useful along the way. Thanks.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
@Valier have you heard of Patreon?
I just read about it today.
May be a way for additional revenue outside Adsense.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
@Valier this is simply amazing.. The jump you've made in editing skill in such a short time seems incredible. Well done.

I wonder if you would be willing to share a little about the process you went through while learning the skills needed to succeed here? Specifically: Script Writing, Video Editing and Presenting/Speaking.

Those are all non-trivial and valuable skills. (Especially when stacked together as you have).

Not looking for a full how-to or anything but maybe just some tips/resources you've found useful along the way. Thanks.

Good idea Ethan!!

I'll try to make a special update post on this alone.

Most of my experience in script writing, presenting, narrating, storytelling, comes from my acting background and was something that I'd honed over time. But I'll definitely share some useful tools and practices that I've learnt along the way.

imagination

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 14, 2012
I can summarize university in a sentence: it doesn't teach you to get paid and it doesn't teach you to get laid. So what's the point? :)

Anyway, I was actually pleasantly surprised when I scrolled down and saw that you were the author of the thread. I've been a subscriber of your channel and you are really ramping up the game now with great content. Your deep voice is one of your big strengths when you speak.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Congrats on your success, very inspiring. I'm not a big YouTube guy but I'm going to follow your progress both here and with your videos, keep up the great work!

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
had a quick look at your progress, almost hitting 50k man. Crazy. Need to get this thread to 'notable' soon.

I think something like a trilogy video event would go down a storm on your channel. Leave everyone on an amazing cliffhanger in Pt 1 and go from there. The next 2 videos would automatically come up as recommended. I can see something like that working really well with the type of content you put out.

SebastiaanVaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
May 19, 2020
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Just curious, as I'm planning out my own channel I'm a bit worried about future copyright strikes. Especially as I, just like you, also want to highlight the 'toxic' sides in certain niches and influencers. What do you know about this and how do you ensure your video won't be taken down? Each and every clip you use under fair use policy can be used by the original creator to make a copyright claim, and from what I've heard YouTube doesn't really bother digging into the matter and simply favors the bigger entity (usually a corporation, but could be one of the guru's you're 'exposing' just as well). Thoughts?

And one more thing, where do you find the inspiration for all the different footage? It's al really relevant to what you're talking about. What is your process for finding relevant footage from previous works?

Huge thanks.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Agree!

I'm paranoid about this matter.
I mean, EVERYTHING that pertains intelletual property could be seen as copyright violation, like even if you're showing a random page from a random book in your video.

I'm less worried about the video being 'taken down', and wayyy more worried about getting SUED!!
I heard that's what happened to Michelle Phan (famous Youtuber with makeup videos). She was sued for using 'copyrighted music' in her videos even though she claims she had permission from the company to use it!!!!
Scary stuff.
That's one of the problems with 'making it big', people want to take a piece of what you've made, in whatever way possible. It only takes one slip.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
had a quick look at your progress, almost hitting 50k man. Crazy. Need to get this thread to 'notable' soon.

I think something like a trilogy video event would go down a storm on your channel. Leave everyone on an amazing cliffhanger in Pt 1 and go from there. The next 2 videos would automatically come up as recommended. I can see something like that working really well with the type of content you put out.

That's an amazing idea!!

I'm sure at some point I'll do this... creating hype for videos is something that I LOVE doing - and the promotional material for this next video is going to be the most I've done in terms of building hype, so we'll see what I can do ;)

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Just curious, as I'm planning out my own channel I'm a bit worried about future copyright strikes. Especially as I, just like you, also want to highlight the 'toxic' sides in certain niches and influencers. What do you know about this and how do you ensure your video won't be taken down? Each and every clip you use under fair use policy can be used by the original creator to make a copyright claim, and from what I've heard YouTube doesn't really bother digging into the matter and simply favors the bigger entity (usually a corporation, but could be one of the guru's you're 'exposing' just as well). Thoughts?

And one more thing, where do you find the inspiration for all the different footage? It's al really relevant to what you're talking about. What is your process for finding relevant footage from previous works?

Huge thanks.

It's always a concern, of course.

YouTube breaks the "C" part of the CENTS framework. But from what I've seen: it's not as grave a concern as you may think it's made out to be.

Many YouTubers have overexaggerated the state of demonisation for sympathy points, and more views (not all, but this is quite common) .

It's true that a "fake guru" ro someone else can come in and try to take down my video...

But I can just as easily dispute that claim, and I'm sure that I'll win out. If not: I make a small video about guru's trying to silence me, and the streisand effect works in my favour.

I often think that the whole fear of being demonitised or copyright striked just prevents people from starting. As long as you make sure you are abiding by the licenses of the music you are using in your video, as long as you are using clips under fair use, you should be fine for the most part.

As for finding the movie footage... yeah, it can sometimes be a gruelling process. Sometimes I might have a scene in mind, and can search for a HD clip of that scene on YouTube and download it from there. Sometimes I just might not have a clip and will have to scour through different movies in order to get something I'm looking for.

imagination

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 14, 2012
Just curious, as I'm planning out my own channel I'm a bit worried about future copyright strikes.

What usually happens is that you don't get a strike. You just get your video demonetized. It's no big deal as long as you are not doing intentional sharing of copyrighted material on a regular basis (ie you upload unmodified copyrighted content just for the sake of "make it free babe"). So if you are talking and you include portions and then talk some more it can be blocked but in my experience it either gets demonetized or it gets blocked and then you basically try again but more carefully next time. Because you are not actively trying to profit from copyrighted material. You are just making a point. You could also film the video with your phone on screen and talk at the same time. That is much harder for the algorithm to "content id" because it's distorted. However you usually don't need to go that far.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
It's always a concern, of course.

YouTube breaks the "C" part of the CENTS framework. But from what I've seen: it's not as grave a concern as you may think it's made out to be.

Many YouTubers have overexaggerated the state of demonisation for sympathy points, and more views (not all, but this is quite common) .

It's true that a "fake guru" ro someone else can come in and try to take down my video...

But I can just as easily dispute that claim, and I'm sure that I'll win out. If not: I make a small video about guru's trying to silence me, and the streisand effect works in my favour.

I often think that the whole fear of being demonitised or copyright striked just prevents people from starting. As long as you make sure you are abiding by the licenses of the music you are using in your video, as long as you are using clips under fair use, you should be fine for the most part.

As for finding the movie footage... yeah, it can sometimes be a gruelling process. Sometimes I might have a scene in mind, and can search for a HD clip of that scene on YouTube and download it from there. Sometimes I just might not have a clip and will have to scour through different movies in order to get something I'm looking for.

Just wondering. After I watched the fake guru video, which was like 90% copyrighted video material, how do you expect the video to stay online?

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Just wondering. After I watched the fake guru video, which was like 90% copyrighted video material, how do you expect the video to stay online?

It falls within fair use!

I'm not the only channel on YouTube that uses movie clips/clips from other videos. There are countless other content creators using movie clips in their videos; channels that are bigger than mine, and they have had no issues with copyright strikes.

Noo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Apr 21, 2018
I am just here to tell you congratulations! <3
Good luck for the future.

Igor957

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 16, 2012
Brazil
Congratulations for the channel!

I saw your 'Fake Gurus' video as recomended in my Youtube home and imediatelly liked it! When you talked about MJ DeMarco on your video about Wealth I suspected I would find you here.

Keep up the great work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.