The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Copywriting, Failing and Readjusting

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
A while back I made a Fiverr gig to start building up my copywriting experience and portfolio.

After 2-3 months of having no luck (not a single sale) and rewriting my offer/testing dozens of times, I knew that I needed to try something new.

I didn't put much though about how saturated Fiverr is for copywriters, and I figured "hey, as long as I put up my services, I'll get a piece of the pie too."

Wrong.

After a little bit of research and completing Sinister Lex's copywriting course on Udemy (great course btw, you should definitely check it out if you're an aspiring copywriter reading this), I learned that I needed to niche down and get more specific.

After taking a look at my skills and what was missing on Fiverr, I discovered there was only 1 Fiverr gig for copywriting on health and fitness.

The offer from the gig was terrible so I decided I could do it better and start my own fitness sales copy. (It helps that I had formal training/experience in personal training and knowledge for nutrition, training, etc. but it definitely wasn't required)

For all the copywriters out there, if you'd like to check it out and give me some pointers, I'm always open to constructive criticism and improving my work.

alexlegault95 : I will write fitness sales copy for $5 on www.fiverr.com

Time to test some more and see what happens!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kane9

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
654%
May 31, 2016
London
Hey Alex. I think the problem I noticed, is that at the start, your questions compete with each other. The main sales message for your profile is that you solve the problem of generic copywriters not understanding a product as you understand the health and fitness industry.

So make sure you stick to that theme/idea. With your questions, they vary from one theme to another.

Then, be careful asking closed yes/no questions. If the prospect says no, you could lose them. Which.. isn't always a bad thing if you're trying to disqualify bad leads. But the problem is, you've asked "are you tearing your hair out wondering how to make more sales?" You could possibly disqualify a lead who is successful in business with money to burn by asking that.

Also, try to add more specificity to show you understand your prospect. "Would you like more time to focus on what's important?" You're making them stop to think about what is important to them. You need to keep them moving.

I think the hardest thing about writing copy when you start, is realizing how simple it is. Stick with one big idea, and make sure it flows from one line to the next to avoid creating conflicts in the readers mind.

I hope that helps.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey Alex. I think the problem I noticed, is that at the start, your questions compete with each other. The main sales message for your profile is that you solve the problem of generic copywriters not understanding a product as you understand the health and fitness industry.

So make sure you stick to that theme/idea. With your questions, they vary from one theme to another.

Then, be careful asking closed yes/no questions. If the prospect says no, you could lose them. Which.. isn't always a bad thing if you're trying to disqualify bad leads. But the problem is, you've asked "are you tearing your hair out wondering how to make more sales?" You could possibly disqualify a lead who is successful in business with money to burn by asking that.

Also, try to add more specificity to show you understand your prospect. "Would you like more time to focus on what's important?" You're making them stop to think about what is important to them. You need to keep them moving.

I think the hardest thing about writing copy when you start, is realizing how simple it is. Stick with one big idea, and make sure it flows from one line to the next to avoid creating conflicts in the readers mind.

I hope that helps.
Wow, thanks for the great insight! I never really thought of just focusing on the one problem at hand and trying to keep their minds from wandering. That's interesting.

Here's the update based on the advice you gave me.

alexlegault95 : I will write fitness sales copy for $5 on www.fiverr.com

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi

Is this working for you? Any bites?

My opinion would be not really but your results may say otherwise.

If my opinion is correct I will write why.

Dan

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi

Is this working for you? Any bites?

My opinion would be not really but your results may say otherwise.

If my opinion is correct I will write why.

Dan
I haven't been getting much traffic at all lately.

But to answer that question, no.

Haven't gotten a single message, order, or sale yet unfortunately.

Do you guys have any experience on how to build a portfolio/testimonials?

Are you contacting local businesses or online only?

I'm starting to wonder if I should get a website built instead and try to drive traffic there (though I don't really have much experience and no sales..)

What do you guys think?

Cashflow Queen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 6, 2018
Long Beach, CA
Hi Alex,

You should be stronger on getting across the RESULTS that you are going to deliver. I see you have some there but perhaps move it right to the beginning or in the title. “I will write high converting sales copy” “increase your sales by 2x” “more traffic to your site with irresistible copy” etc. don’t ramble too much about yourself, more focus on what benefits your customers will get.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I haven't been getting much traffic at all lately.

But to answer that question, no.

Haven't gotten a single message, order, or sale yet unfortunately.

Do you guys have any experience on how to build a portfolio/testimonials?

Are you contacting local businesses or online only?

I'm starting to wonder if I should get a website built instead and try to drive traffic there (though I don't really have much experience and no sales..)

What do you guys think?

Why not just go on Upwork and start making money today?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

If I need a fitness copywriter, there's a reason why. I need website content or I need emails. I need social media posts. I need Facebook ads. What I don't (think) I need (and am not searching for) is "fitness copywriting." At least not on Fiverr.

Okay, I personally WOULD search for that. But most business owners wouldn't because they don't even know what copywriting is. They think it's content. For that reason, the offer isn't totally clear. "Long Sales Copy" doesn't make sense to your target audience.

Instead of "Long" "Medium" and "Short" sales copy it needs to be more specific:

1 Fitness Email - $15
7 Fitness Emails - $35
14 Fitness Emails - $50

It makes it easy for your target audience. They don't have to think about word count. Word count means nothing to them because they aren't writers. You need to speak FITNESS, not COPYWRITER.

This...
  • Increase in conversion rates (sales)
  • More free time
  • Better profits
  • 24/7 sales generating text
  • The ability to make money, even when you’re sleeping
  • More freedom
Should be this...
  • Earn more fitness customers and increase your profits
  • With high impact writing that automates your sales
  • Focus on your business, without the heavy lifting
  • Gain more fitness clients in as little as a week

You're talking copy. I'm talking fitness.

There's a gap between us, and until you bridge that gap we can't connect.

---

For your portfolio, just make some samples and upload them. You don't need paying clients for that. Write copy about random products (fitness products would make the most sense).

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Ok so you confirmed what I thought.

So this is why.

And you may want to do this to see for yourself. No selling, just a simple research thing.

Walk into any 10 to 20 local businesses you feel like and ask them two things.

1) What is a Copywriter.

Most won't know, guess at something to do with Copyright or maybe something to do with Newspapers/Journalism.

Ask them what a Sales Rep is and they will all know.

2) Do you know what Fiverr is?

Pretty much same thing.

Multiply the two and you will see how you have eliminated a massive percentage of your target market.

Dan

PS: I see as I was writing this @SinisterLex might be writing something similar as my phone shows a bit of it.

PPS: I'll write what I would do once I have read it.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Ok I agree with what he wrote. He's not just a pretty face! I hope he is not writing what I am writing now. I am a one finger typist. :smile2:

So this is the second bit to get a customer.

Pretend that you are your own customer. Or I was.

What would you ask me?

Who is my intended customer and what is it I want to offer them. (Hopefully you would)

And you would then work out where they are for you to put your Copy (which is just an offer really) in front of. Your Copy can be golden but not if no one relevant sees it.

So you want to know this too. I don't like your fitness product or service aspect as that is as wide as the Pacific.

Narrow it down. eg:

1) Fitness trainers like you were. (Can be fine tuned even more if you pick a category)

2) Gyms.

3) Gym equipment manufacturers/suppliers.

I would look up their numbers/addresses and contact them directly. I most definitely would not be waiting for someone to find me online that's for sure.

As a Copywriter you should maybe write them a letter too don't you think?

So this post and the other one I made is not actually about your Copy is it? They are about where you are putting your offer.

Dan

PS: By the way, if it was me I would be doing it all at once. ie The 10 to 20 businesses I contact to ask the initial questions would be the target market then I would be dealing with their answers then and there to muster up interest.

100speed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 2, 2017
London
I agree with the fact that Fiverr may not be the best place to find work, due to reasons mentioned by @Stargazer and the fact that its placement of gigs is largely dependent on the rating of the seller, and of the gig itself - so no sales (and consequently no ratings) leads to less chance of a sale.

I noticed you have decided to niche down on only fitness, whilst only having 3 gigs out there in total, 2 with exactly the same title. I'm afraid that on Fiverr, it is a numbers game, especially when starting out, the more gigs you have out there the more likely someone is to see your proposition and buy it.
I recommend you branch out on the number of niche's you are in and post a number of gigs advertising the same service but with a lot of variations in title - as @Stargazer said, imagine you were in a business owner's position, what would they search for... A/B testing is key, not only in advertising but with Fiverr as well.

Primarily though, I think the main reason for people not purchasing is the fact that you have no ratings at all, which would put me and does put many others off a seller - and did so even 3-4 years ago when I started off selling on Fiverr.

Despite this however, a few years ago it was a lot easier to get noticed on Fiverr, all you had to post was a good example of your work as the main photo (obviously it is a bit harder with copy) and people would buy from you. Now though, I feel that ratings are more key than ever - so I would suggest perhaps a bit of greyhat promotion. Offer your services on Craigslist for 1$ or FREE, under the condition that they buy from Fiverr and leave a 5 star review (i.e they pay 5$ and you refund them 4$ that you get in return, if that is something you are willing to do or pay them 5$) - failing that, I'm sure you could reach out to family and friends to buy a few gigs for you and leave a few friendly reviews.
Although this may seem a little deceptive, looking at the market today it looks like it may be necessary to make your first sale on Fiverr.

If not, I'm sure Upwork offers a lot more opportunity in terms of high quality clients, and higher returns, if that is what you are looking to get.
If it is experience you want or you want to build a portfolio, perhaps you could follow in previous forum members' footsteps and offer your services for free on here.
Whatever you do, hopefully I have provided some value here for you ;).

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Why not just go on Upwork and start making money today?

After resubmitting my profile for the 7th time I just decided to try other platforms. I can't seem to figure out why I can't get on Upwork. I tried getting on as a general copywriter which didn't work at all, but also as a health/fitness writer as well with no luck.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
If I need a fitness copywriter, there's a reason why. I need website content or I need emails. I need social media posts. I need Facebook ads. What I don't (think) I need (and am not searching for) is "fitness copywriting." At least not on Fiverr.

Okay, I personally WOULD search for that. But most business owners wouldn't because they don't even know what copywriting is. They think it's content. For that reason, the offer isn't totally clear. "Long Sales Copy" doesn't make sense to your target audience.

Instead of "Long" "Medium" and "Short" sales copy it needs to be more specific:

1 Fitness Email - $15
7 Fitness Emails - $35
14 Fitness Emails - $50

It makes it easy for your target audience. They don't have to think about word count. Word count means nothing to them because they aren't writers. You need to speak FITNESS, not COPYWRITER.

This...
  • Increase in conversion rates (sales)
  • More free time
  • Better profits
  • 24/7 sales generating text
  • The ability to make money, even when you’re sleeping
  • More freedom
Should be this...
  • Earn more fitness customers and increase your profits
  • With high impact writing that automates your sales
  • Focus on your business, without the heavy lifting
  • Gain more fitness clients in as little as a week

You're talking copy. I'm talking fitness.

There's a gap between us, and until you bridge that gap we can't connect.

---

For your portfolio, just make some samples and upload them. You don't need paying clients for that. Write copy about random products (fitness products would make the most sense).

Man that's so true. I even showed my gig once to my family at a gathering and they all said:

"What's copywriting? Is that some legal shit or something?"

^F*ck.. lol

I like the idea about being specific and speaking "Fitness", not "Copy". I'll have to implement that instead and make some changes.

God damn it, why are you so good at this?

Thanks for the portfolio tip as well, I'll do that.

Thanks for the great tips everyone, I'll keep you all updated.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
What do you guys think about this? Just made it with some online software.

Attachments

• FitnessEmails1.jpg
    FitnessEmails1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Ive been doing a little Fiverr here and there,

I've made about £40 so far with about x7 5 Star reviews

I over-promised and over-delivered on my gig,

I said I would refund anyone who was not satisfied with my copy,

Ive also tried giving tips outside of my copy or why I wrote something. Seems to be going okay, but I need to raise my prices eventually, but its all practice and part of the process.

I cheated a little at the start, I paid for a 5 star review. Nobody wants to be the first to try anything, just those 5 golden stars when they see your name adds confidence in the customer.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada

Brjohn

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 9, 2017
Illinois
One thing I would recommend (as somebody who got a few sales on fiverr, not many) is to add videos to your gigs. Although it may be hard to think of what to put in a video for those gigs specifically, I believe fiverr's algorithm favors offers with videos in them, and a good video will help you sell.

Take this with a grain of salt though, I think when I did fiverr I only had around 5 sales before I stopped. Things could have changed, and I was certainly no expert at the time either.
Edit: I see it's been awhile since you've posted about fiverr, this is of course assuming you're still going at it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.