The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Resources for copywriting basics

Marketing, social media, advertising

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a landing page for my business to gather soft proof, and I'd like to learn the basics of copywriting. I don't endeavour to become an expert in this, nor do I want to turn copywriting into a freelance business (which apparently a lot of people around here do). I'm mainly looking for pointers to help while I'm in the trenches "learning by doing".

What is a good resource you would recommend to get the basics down and circumvent the worst mistakes? Both CopyThat and CopyHour look interesting (and practical), but there's also a gazillion books out there to choose from, Udemy courses, etc.

I fully realize copywriting isn't something you can learn in a weekend, and requires ongoing effort to get better at. Still, while books/courses can easily turn into their own form action faking, I do believe in the value of reading up on something to kickstart yourself. I guess what I'm looking for is the equivalent of "these are the basic techniques in rock climbing, now go climb up that wall and try to apply them".

(I've tried searching the forums, but that results in a lot of threads about people wanting to do freelance copywriting.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a landing page for my business to gather soft proof, and I'd like to learn the basics of copywriting. I don't endeavour to become an expert in this, nor do I want to turn copywriting into a freelance business (which apparently a lot of people around here do). I'm mainly looking for pointers to help while I'm in the trenches "learning by doing".

What is a good resource you would recommend to get the basics down and circumvent the worst mistakes? Both CopyThat and CopyHour look interesting (and practical), but there's also a gazillion books out there to choose from, Udemy courses, etc.

I fully realize copywriting isn't something you can learn in a weekend, and requires ongoing effort to get better at. Still, while books/courses can easily turn into their own form action faking, I do believe in the value of reading up on something to kickstart yourself. I guess what I'm looking for is the equivalent of "these are the basic techniques in rock climbing, now go climb up that wall and try to apply them".

(I've tried searching the forums, but that results in a lot of threads about people wanting to do freelance copywriting.)

Try this thread:

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
"Salesmanship in print is but a salesmanship in person"

1. Have you ever sold in person? well, that would help you more than any book, ever. Watching what people buy and why a hell lot of fun experience.

2. Neverending classic, written almost 30 years before TV became mainstream: scientific advertising. Written by a guy who back in 1920s invented an orange juice squeezer to sell more oranges. Yes, this was an advertiser.

3. Beware, but a book that's called "Copywriting Secrets by Jim Edwards was a pretty decent one. It comes from a man who got very proficient with copy. His advice is good.
It was written as a collab with Russel Brunson - a famous marketer (who made himself famous, basically), and there's a software called Funnel Scripts which I don't recommend - it's useless for true writers.

That's about enough.

Communicate about the problem, have good intentions, and show that you can solve it. That's about what you need to know.

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
Try this thread:

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of gold I was looking for. 15 strong lessons to bootstrap my copywriting adventure. Applying the lessons to my landing page as we speak. There's always time to narrow down and specialize later.

That's about enough.

Communicate about the problem, have good intentions, and show that you can solve it. That's about what you need to know.
That's a great, succinct reminder of what it's all about. Why should I "beware" Jim Edwards' book?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of gold I was looking for. 15 strong lessons to bootstrap my copywriting adventure. Applying the lessons to my landing page as we speak. There's always time to narrow down and specialize later.

That's a great, succinct reminder of what it's all about. Why should I "beware" Jim Edwards' book?
Ah, it's because he'll try to sell you his Funnel Scripts... That's it. But other than that it's good.

As Andy says, just help people... Sales and copy comes second

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.