The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Copywriting Contest... (RESULTS POSTED!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's time to a have a little fun and learn something in the process.

Lets do a little copy-writing contest, something which tests our eye for good copy and conversion. I posted this on the INSIDE to start, however if we don't get enough bites in here, I will move this OUTSIDE.

Here is the contest -- and anyone is welcome to compete provided you follow the rules.

THE GOAL
The goal of the contest is to provide the BEST converting "Welcome Mat" which encourages new users to download the first 5 chapters of UNSCRIPTED . A conversion is an email address, upon which, the 5 chapters are sent.

The Welcome Mat is an overlay (from SumoMe) which appears when a new user first visits the forum. See an example below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 12.10.26 PM.png
(The user sees this overlayed on the entire site.)

TO ENTER (FIRST ROUND)
Design a Welcome Mat that you think will convert and post it here. You can use any combination of backgrounds and copy text. However, it must be able to be programmed via the SumoMe interface.

FINAL ROUNDS
I will select 4 designs of all of the posts and program them into the interface. Feel free to LIKE and COMMENT on any design as I will consider this when judging and selecting the final 4.

THE JUDGING
The contest shall be deemed over when all 4 entrants have accrued 1,500 impressions. Best conversion rate wins.

THE WINNER
The design that converts the BEST will win bragging rights, a line item on their resume, and hey why not, how about a $100 PayPal'd to their personal account and $100 to their favorite charity.

Contest starts now... GO!

PS:I reserve the right to cancel the contest if I don't receive 4 entries worthy of use. Because all new forum users will see this, it is crucially important the entries are professional. I will not accept entries to simply meet a quota -- I will accept entries I know have a chance to convert.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you to everyone who entered!

@bigbaby @garyjsmith @focusedlife @inputchip @holmzee @TeveTorbes @Argue @TheMatt @Mikkel @Blaise84 @Cavallie @Kabylfx @luniac @ApparentHorizon @Almantas @Invictus @eagleye101 @Fox @SM Switi @c4n @startinup @ksc23 @urianasi @gostorm21 @ThirtyOne

OK so here are the 5 I'd like to test, or at least, variations of.

I will not replicate exactly, but I will use the provided entrants as a framework.

As for why I chose these, I thought these would convert the best based on benefit language and simplicity. I thought there were some better ones in terms of design and meaning, but when it comes down to converting, I thought they were too busy and/or wordy.

Again, thanks to everyone who put forth something. I thought all of them had merit.

entrant4-bookmademerich.png entrant3-mediocritymisery.png entrant2-breakfree.png entrant1-dreadmondays.pngentrant5-matrix.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
***********FINAL RESULTS

5TH Place (LAST, CONVERSION: .46%)

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.27 PM.png

4TH Place (CONVERSION: .77%)

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.14 PM.png

3RD Place (CONVERSION: .84%)

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.12.47 PM.png

2ND Place (CONVERSION: .87%)

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.59 PM.png

1ST Place (CONVERSION -- 1.68%)

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.02 PM.png

Congrats to HOLMZEE for the winning entrant!

So what do you think? Are you shocked at these results?

I predicted #3 would have won.

In fact, the 3rd place entrant started out in the lead for several days and then slowly died out.

In the end, I wouldn't use any of these layouts based on these conversion numbers. I'd be shooting for 2% or above.

So based on these results, can we assume that a background image is detrimental to conversion, considering it was the only entrant to not use one? @holmzee please contact the forum (contact us) for prize details.

G

Guest24480

Holy cow, thanks MJ. I didn't expect the results to turn out this way either. I think the text-only works well because it's less distracting and more to the point. Would be interested to see how a similar layout with different copy performs.

There were some great entries, props to everyone who participated!

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Total bad jpg mockup, and I was out at happy hour, but this looked like fun so thought I'd throw mine out there...
hJOo0.png

(And, yes, Google told me this image was labeled for reuse)
hJOo0.png

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Looks like I was premature, there are 3 versions that are now holding pretty close.

That's just me signing up again and again to skew the numbers :rofl:

As a mini-lesson for my fellow marketers and aspiring copywriters -- you can see how difficult it is to come up with a clear, concise, and compelling message to generate interest and sales in a product.

This is why Apple's original iPod copy was worth millions: "1,000 songs in your pocket"

If you can master this skill, you'll never lack money ever again.

TheMatt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Sep 7, 2017
Rome, Italy
I like this. Came up with a couple more ideas while at the day job.

fastlane_grind.png
fastlane_notto.png

P.S.: I did these myself (basic HTML and CSS), but I'm quite sure they could be replicated within SumoMe. The image, by the way, is an edit I made of a free-to-use pic from Unsplash (do check it out if you're not familiar with it--it's awesome). Not sure whether it's fitting, but I like it.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
We had an international meeting of marketing minds this past weekend and the whole "No, I'm rich already" or "No, I know way more than you" or "No, I'm an a**hole" buttons are officially out.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you to everyone who posted.

OK so some feedback.

The challenge on this goes beyond just conversion.

It's trying to put something out there that is simplistic and not so cliche.

The guru "make money" clan has already beaten to death the trope of expensive cars, luxury houses, and expensive watches. I really don't want to stick my toe into that type of theme. It turns my stomach.

Some things I've learned in my experience:
1) The more words something has, the worse it converts.
2) Sell a direct benefit.
3) Be interesting or unique. The "Quit your job and live a dream!" seems effective, but it's been used 10,000X before and now it's tuned out.
4) The more busy something is, the less it converts. "Busy" could be busy pictures, buttons w/too many words, etc.

That said, I think there are maybe 2 or 3 here that could be qualified for the final round so I'll wait to see a few more.

Thanks again, I'm hoping we can all learn from this and see in real time what works, and what doesn't.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Great contest!

@MJ DeMarco If I happen to win, can I instead donate my winnings in a form of two yearly INSIDERS subscriptions to two forum members of my choice?

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
All 5 variants are now live.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.12.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.13.59 PM.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
However, I will test it now and report back. I always enjoy these tests, they are very insightful in what makes people tick.

That graphic converted at 2.84%

The graphic with "eventually" removed? 2.99%.

So it was better!

Moving this outside for more exposure.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some nice ones! If anyone has any they'd like to submit, do so soon as I am gonna start evaluating the 4 candidates.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.