• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Copywriting Contest... (RESULTS POSTED!)

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by MJ DeMarco, Sep 3, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    It's time to a have a little fun and learn something in the process.

Lets do a little copy-writing contest, something which tests our eye for good copy and conversion. I posted this on the INSIDE to start, however if we don't get enough bites in here, I will move this OUTSIDE.

Here is the contest -- and anyone is welcome to compete provided you follow the rules.

THE GOAL
    The goal of the contest is to provide the BEST converting "Welcome Mat" which encourages new users to download the first 5 chapters of UNSCRIPTED. A conversion is an email address, upon which, the 5 chapters are sent.

The Welcome Mat is an overlay (from SumoMe) which appears when a new user first visits the forum. See an example below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 12.10.26 PM.png
    (The user sees this overlayed on the entire site.)

TO ENTER (FIRST ROUND)
    Design a Welcome Mat that you think will convert and post it here. You can use any combination of backgrounds and copy text. However, it must be able to be programmed via the SumoMe interface.

FINAL ROUNDS
    I will select 4 designs of all of the posts and program them into the interface. Feel free to LIKE and COMMENT on any design as I will consider this when judging and selecting the final 4.

THE JUDGING
    The contest shall be deemed over when all 4 entrants have accrued 1,500 impressions. Best conversion rate wins.

THE WINNER
    The design that converts the BEST will win bragging rights, a line item on their resume, and hey why not, how about a $100 PayPal'd to their personal account and $100 to their favorite charity.

Contest starts now... GO!

PS:I reserve the right to cancel the contest if I don't receive 4 entries worthy of use. Because all new forum users will see this, it is crucially important the entries are professional. I will not accept entries to simply meet a quota -- I will accept entries I know have a chance to convert.

SM Switi, Scot, Leo Hendrix and 16 others like this.
  2. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,738
    Just for clarification I do assume only one entry per person?

I feel like I would need to try several of these myself to see which one converted best before uploading the best for you to us. LOL.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    In the prelims you can post as many as you want. I will try to have 4 different people in the finals, but if someone posts two different versions (not A/B tests, but vastly different renditions) I might allow 2 entries.

focusedlife likes this.
  4. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,738
    Ah perfect! Thank you for the clarification. I am pretty busy in Florida this week (and now maybe making sure some property is prepared for Irma) but I should have some time to do a couple.

I am not a graphics artist, or a copywriter, but the practice keeps one sharp and builds up the talent so it is worth doing even if I will be going against some of the best of the best here.

5. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    You really don't need to be -- you find a background (if you want to use a background, sometimes solid colors do better) and put together a hook of a few words. Anyone can do it, no "copywriter" identity required!

bigbaby and Aaron T like this.
  6. bigbaby

bigbaby Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $0
    Screenshot 2017-09-04 00.49.43.png
    Thought I'd take a shot. Kept it simple. :)

Hot Tip: For anyone else that wants to give it a go you can get a free account to access the Sumo designer. Sumo - The Best Website Traffic Tools

7. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    Bump.

8. bigbaby

bigbaby Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $0
    BTW I'm way open to feedback on my entry from anyone. I'm a complete newb at skills like these and want to learn more. :)

9. garyjsmith

garyjsmith Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,039
    Gonna build mine tonight.

bigbaby likes this.
  10. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    I can tell you based on experience and 1000's of impressions, that is too wordy and won't convert well, maybe < 1%.

Even in the example I posted, that is stretching the limits of what converts and doesn't.

ZF Lee and bigbaby like this.
  11. bigbaby

Rep Bank:
    $0
    I was suspecting that was the case. I'll give it another go. Thanks for the feedback!

12. Rawiri

Rawiri Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $432
    I'm pressed for time right now, though hopefully I'll throw my hat in later.

But I just wanted to ask, have you tested your current one without the word "eventually" in it?

Using eventually provides a nice "inverted pyramid" look leading the eye down to the form. But it is also "pulling your punches." So I wonder if that design point can make up for it (I would guess it doesn't...but I've been surprised before).

13. garyjsmith

garyjsmith Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,039
  14. bigbaby

Rep Bank:
    $0
    Screenshot 2017-09-05 10.24.55.png

Tried to go with less words, higher concept. as always feedback is welcome. :)

15. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $62,669
    I tried to click on it. :)

16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    I tested that form 1000s of times so I probably have. But I don't recall the outcome and since it isn't active, it wasn't better, or I didn't test it.

However, I will test it now and report back. I always enjoy these tests, they are very insightful in what makes people tick.

17. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $225,976
    Admin Post
    That graphic converted at 2.84%

The graphic with "eventually" removed? 2.99%.

So it was better!

Moving this outside for more exposure.

18. focusedlife

focusedlife Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $453
    Total bad jpg mockup, and I was out at happy hour, but this looked like fun so thought I'd throw mine out there...
    [​IMG]
    (And, yes, Google told me this image was labeled for reuse)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Readerly, MJ DeMarco, E-Sharp and 5 others like this.
  19. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $62,669
    I tried to click on that one too. :)

20. 404profound

404profound Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,557
    I'd love to give this a whirl, just one question. Where does one access SumoMe?

21. inputchip

inputchip Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,117
  22. holmzee

holmzee Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,988
    My attempt.

P.S. Interesting how my closing action was so similar to the poster above. Didn't realize until after I had finished.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.21.08 PM.png

23. TeveTorbes

TeveTorbes Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,062
    Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.36.31 PM.png

24. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,618
    Made this real quick, I plan on making another one.

[​IMG]

25. TheMatt

TheMatt Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $141
    Two ideas:

1)
    Screenshot from 2017-09-07 13:24:00.png
    and 2)
    Screenshot from 2017-09-07 14:13:43.png

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017