The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think this is one of those fights where you break it down and you can see the planning that Mayweather did vs. McGregor's lack of planning.

First, Connor McGregor is telling everyone that he will knock out Floyd in 1 or 2 rounds. So Mayweather's camp is taking this as, he's going to come in and throw punches as hard as he can early. Also Mayweather knows that McGregor is not used to fighting longer than 25 minutes at the most.

So his game plan was, let Conor punch himself out in the first 3 rounds, then start boxing from the 4th round, tire him out, then go for the KO. He didn't care if he lost the first 3 rounds, he could give them away and win the remaining 9.

Looking at the punch stats, Floyd stuck to his plan, barely throwing anything in the first 3 rounds. By round 4, he had thrown 28 punches and McGregor 115. Rounds 4-6, Floyd began to punch a little more and threw 94 to McGregor's 162. But what's amazing is he landed 73% of his punches in round 6. Then in the last 4 rounds, Floyd really turned it on landing over 40% of his punches.

Also the fact that Mayweather tried to put $400,000 down on him winning under 9.5 rounds is pretty telling.

Now, it would have been interesting if Conor would have played a deeper level game and said he'd knockout Floyd in 2 and then conserved his energy in rounds 1-4. He could have effectively made it a 9 round fight. If he would have also not thrown punches it would have taken Floyd out of his game plan. Now rounds 1-4 could be split and they are fighting for rounds 5-12. I think that's where his strategy was wrong. Clearly Floyd is a better boxer, so the longer the fight, the better for him. Conor's best strategy probably would have been for each fighter to stand around until round 9 and then he could go all out for 3 rounds.

In hindsight it's so clear. But Mayweather has been doing this for a while and has it down to a science. You should watch the Berto video linked below on what it's like to fight Mayweather. In any other fight, he would have just stayed away in rounds 9-12 and won on the cards.

DINl1EwUMAAOwrF.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
I don't know why most of you downgraded Mayweather that guy is a beast and he was fully prepared for the match I knew he was going to win.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
My only question is what Connor McGregor does next. He's not the best boxer, not even the best MMA guy honestly. He's an incredible promoter. Can you image going back to being hit in the face for $50k in MMA after making $100 million+ in 30 minutes of boxing?

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Mayweather was at a disadvantage but his experience came into play, the biggest factor however were his stamina or Mcgregor's lack thereof.

The man has not only won this boxing match, he's won at life, all that's left is paying those IRS scumbags.

Hopefully he doesn't do anything stupid with his money. I don't ever want to see him in the ring again, leave while you're on a high note.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
X97vahs6.jpg

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It's remarkable

When two athletes suddenly become actors in a brilliantly marketed show to amass millions.
SCRIPTED
Two guys who trained their asses off to create their own life, amass unfathomable wealth for themselves, and compete against the best i their respective league while making insane money, how is that "scripted"?
just saw on youtube, lol didn't know mcgregor had such weak stamina, and at 29 years old as a professional athlete, that's amazing.
Weak stamina? As someone who's competed in martial arts tournaments, I can tell you that five minutes of fighting with someone is incredibly physicially exhausting, and unless you've trained for that, you couldn't understand.
Conor trained his entire career for a fight that would never last longer than 25 minutes. Most of his ights he ends very quickly. To hit as hard does is ridiculously taxing, and you can only do that so many times before you're spent.
Mayweather on the other hand has over 20 years of training for fights which could last 36 minutes. He plays for the long game rather than the quick finish.
McGregor has extraordinary stamina for a human being and for an athlete, but Mayweather's experience as a boxer got him this fight. It's interesting to see the fine details of the difference of these sports.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Two guys who trained their asses off to create their own life, amass unfathomable wealth for themselves, and compete against the best i their respective league while making insane money, how is that "scripted"?

Weak stamina? As someone who's competed in martial arts tournaments, I can tell you that five minutes of fighting with someone is incredibly physicially exhausting, and unless you've trained for that, you couldn't understand.
Conor trained his entire career for a fight that would never last longer than 25 minutes. Most of his ights he ends very quickly. To hit as hard does is ridiculously taxing, and you can only do that so many times before you're spent.
Mayweather on the other hand has over 20 years of training for fights which could last 36 minutes. He plays for the long game rather than the quick finish.
McGregor has extraordinary stamina for a human being and for an athlete, but Mayweather's experience as a boxer got him this fight. It's interesting to see the fine details of the difference of these sports.

I thought McGregor was cream of the crop MMA fighter and would have the stamina to do anything for long periods of time, especially as a light weight.
I was definitely surprised.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Mcgregor has never really shown great stamina - relative to his peers. Many of his mma fights(with exception of the two Diaz fights), end rather quickly, without Mcgregor taking manyh, if any shots.

Plus its a fully different sport than MMA. To use a comparison, just because you beat your friends in the yard at badminton, does not mean youll beat Federer at tennis.

As for the scripted comment...Mcgregor was on welfare 4 years ago. He just manufactured an event that made him tens of millions of dollars.

That might actually be the Unscripted story of our generation, actually.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I think this is one of those fights where you break it down and you can see the planning that Mayweather did vs. McGregor's lack of planning.

First, Connor McGregor is telling everyone that he will knock out Floyd in 1 or 2 rounds. So Mayweather's camp is taking this as, he's going to come in and throw punches as hard as he can early. Also Mayweather knows that McGregor is not used to fighting longer than 25 minutes at the most.

So his game plan was, let Conor punch himself out in the first 3 rounds, then start boxing from the 4th round, tire him out, then go for the KO. He didn't care if he lost the first 3 rounds, he could give them away and win the remaining 9.

Looking at the punch stats, Floyd stuck to his plan, barely throwing anything in the first 3 rounds. By round 4, he had thrown 28 punches and McGregor 115. Rounds 4-6, Floyd began to punch a little more and threw 94 to McGregor's 162. But what's amazing is he landed 73% of his punches in round 6. Then in the last 4 rounds, Floyd really turned it on landing over 40% of his punches.

Also the fact that Mayweather tried to put $400,000 down on him winning under 9.5 rounds is pretty telling.

Now, it would have been interesting if Conor would have played a deeper level game and said he'd knockout Floyd in 2 and then conserved his energy in rounds 1-4. He could have effectively made it a 9 round fight. If he would have also not thrown punches it would have taken Floyd out of his game plan. Now rounds 1-4 could be split and they are fighting for rounds 5-12. I think that's where his strategy was wrong. Clearly Floyd is a better boxer, so the longer the fight, the better for him. Conor's best strategy probably would have been for each fighter to stand around until round 9 and then he could go all out for 3 rounds.

In hindsight it's so clear. But Mayweather has been doing this for a while and has it down to a science. You should watch the Berto video linked below on what it's like to fight Mayweather. In any other fight, he would have just stayed away in rounds 9-12 and won on the cards.

View attachment 16069

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw
Excellent breakdown. You nailed it.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016

Or rather... his first words... Is Mayweather going into the Octagon?

Now would't that be interesting.

Not so much for Mayweather. Because he knows he would be destroyed.

Keep up the funny meme's though. Although he would make massive bank, and I certainly wouldn't be making stupid meme's about it.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Or rather... his first words... Is Mayweather going into the Octagon?

Now would't that be interesting.

Not so much for Mayweather. Because he knows he would be destroyed.

Keep up the funny meme's though. Although he would make massive bank, and I certainly wouldn't be making stupid meme's about it.
Ridiculous comment. Risk vs. reward. Mayweather has nothing to gain by doing that. Of course conner would crush him. That is why mayweather annialated and toyed w him. Conner tried to play in mayweathers backyard.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Ridiculous comment. Risk vs. reward. Mayweather has nothing to gain by doing that. Of course conner would crush him. That is why mayweather annialated and toyed w him. Conner tried to play in mayweathers backyard.

I agree completely, which is why the meme I quoted is ridiculous.

In a straight up street fight, Mayweather would have gotten his a$$ kicked.

Mind you, this is all just sh*t talk -- and I certainly have a lot of respect for Mayweather. I just think it's ridiculous the stupidity of the peanut gallery.

Last edited:

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
On that note, let's see if "Money" Mayweather lives up to his name....

Octagon... octagon... octagon....

Imagine how much that fight would go for?

Though, he would get hammered quickly.

"Money" Mayweather may just retreat into retirement. Who knows?

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I'm tired of beating this dead horse. The fight was already dead before it began. Can we shift our focus to the real battle September 16? Or is no one here an actual fight fan?
Will be a close fight, but I predict will go 12 rounds, Canelo win, Canelo is at his prime, ggg recent performances haven't been as impressive, however would love to see ggg KO Alvarez, your thoughts?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Will be a close fight, but I predict will go 12 rounds, Canelo win, Canelo is at his prime, ggg recent performances haven't been as impressive, however would love to see ggg KO Alvarez, your thoughts?
That's a very sensible analysis considering the level of both fighters. But I think Canelo will TKO GGG 6th round.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
What I would really like to see now this circus act is over, is mcgregor vs Diaz 3

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
What I would really like to see now this circus act is over, is mcgregor vs Diaz 3
No one needs to see that again. They need to give someone else in his division a shot at the belt.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
*on a side note, I'm kinda angry I missed the Cotto vs. Kamegai fight which happened simultaneously with the Mayweather fight but on a different channel.

Cotto wants to fight the winner of the Canelo/GGG fight.

Edit:
You want boxing, watch these guys. Mayweather fights lack power, knockouts, TKO's.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.