The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Micahbiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 12, 2018
Arizona
Just the fact alone that you did this puts you head and shoulders above everyone else. When you actually speak with other humans, it won't take long before you get a few that will pay you. And then more will start to come in. Getting that first sale is key - it triggers something mentally and makes the rest that much easier.

Keep hustling! It will happen.
Hey, a few questions. I saw Fox's post about selling websites so I've been teaching myself coding, in doing so I couldn't help but think about other ways I could add value and help clients. It reminded me about when I started a Marketing agency a few couple years ago, I got everything setup: website, incorporated, business cards etc. My issue was going to actually sell people on my services. I struggle with knowing I can get them the results I promise. I couldn't bring myself to ask people for $500-$1000+ a month when I was not sure that I could deliver them that much in sales or more. What's worse, I struggled with the anxiety of WHAT IF, what if I promise them a result AND MAKE THE SALE and I can't get the results for real.

I ended up visiting 3-4 places, one was super interested but I blew it at the sales meeting. The other again, I sent him logo designs but didn't pursue as aggressively as I should have. After that, I figured ''one is a restaurant, the other a barber shop how the hell would I bring them more than $1000 a month in revenue''.... and so I gave up.

Looking back, I approached four people and two wanted to sit down. That's not bad! I didn't even give that much value, I just researched them, mentioned it and they were interested one even wanted me as a possible partner on a business venture. Now, sorry for rambling, what I would like to know is HOW DO I GET OVER THIS FEAR? I don't trust that I can get my client results for sure(at least results that bring in over $1000 monthly) even though I know I can add value to their business.

Second, I struggle with picking a niche; I want to do everything. I'm worried that if I go for a single niche and brand my company after said niche(a name that says, hey I do marketing for doctors) I'll run out of potential clients or won't be able to expand. How do I overcome this?

Third and last, I was gonna focus solely on martial arts studios and fitness related places so I bought a domain centered around that. My concern here is these places don't make a ton of money so maybe I should expand to chiropractors and physical therapists but now I suppose I'm not really niched down. Should I just say screw the industry I'm passionate about and focus on clients that A.) Focus on places that can afford to pay $1000+ and B.) Make more off individual clients? That way if I bring in only one customer worst case, they still get a great ROI?

Sorry for the drawn out response. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Hey, a few questions. I saw Fox's post about selling websites so I've been teaching myself coding, in doing so I couldn't help but think about other ways I could add value and help clients. It reminded me about when I started a Marketing agency a few couple years ago, I got everything setup: website, incorporated, business cards etc. My issue was going to actually sell people on my services. I struggle with knowing I can get them the results I promise. I couldn't bring myself to ask people for $500-$1000+ a month when I was not sure that I could deliver them that much in sales or more. What's worse, I struggled with the anxiety of WHAT IF, what if I promise them a result AND MAKE THE SALE and I can't get the results for real.

I ended up visiting 3-4 places, one was super interested but I blew it at the sales meeting. The other again, I sent him logo designs but didn't pursue as aggressively as I should have. After that, I figured ''one is a restaurant, the other a barber shop how the hell would I bring them more than $1000 a month in revenue''.... and so I gave up.

Looking back, I approached four people and two wanted to sit down. That's not bad! I didn't even give that much value, I just researched them, mentioned it and they were interested one even wanted me as a possible partner on a business venture. Now, sorry for rambling, what I would like to know is HOW DO I GET OVER THIS FEAR? I don't trust that I can get my client results for sure(at least results that bring in over $1000 monthly) even though I know I can add value to their business.

Second, I struggle with picking a niche; I want to do everything. I'm worried that if I go for a single niche and brand my company after said niche(a name that says, hey I do marketing for doctors) I'll run out of potential clients or won't be able to expand. How do I overcome this?

Third and last, I was gonna focus solely on martial arts studios and fitness related places so I bought a domain centered around that. My concern here is these places don't make a ton of money so maybe I should expand to chiropractors and physical therapists but now I suppose I'm not really niched down. Should I just say screw the industry I'm passionate about and focus on clients that A.) Focus on places that can afford to pay $1000+ and B.) Make more off individual clients? That way if I bring in only one customer worst case, they still get a great ROI?

Sorry for the drawn out response. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I got stuck on a niche and choosing whether to do websites, Facebook ads or Google Ads. I've finally settled on Google Ads which took me months don't be the same as me, just pick a niche and go for it.

You seem to be doubting your own skills before you even biggen. Why not give them a free trial if you're doubting yourself to see how it goes first?

Micahbiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 12, 2018
Arizona
I got stuck on a niche and choosing whether to do websites, Facebook ads or Google Ads. I've finally settled on Google Ads which took me months don't be the same as me, just pick a niche and go for it.

You seem to be doubting your own skills before you even biggen. Why not give them a free trial if you're doubting yourself to see how it goes first?

I think you’re right about that. I have a few people in mind that own pretty large local business I’m planning on doing free work for to build up a portfolio. After that I’m sure I’ll feel more comfortable. Hmmm, maybe it’s because I’m charging... If someone asked me right now to help them for free I think I could confidently do it, probably because I can experiment so no pressure. For cash though I feel obligated to over deliver and what if I can’t? By the way! I’m looking for someone to ease my mind I’m pressing forward no matter what, even if I look like a moron.

Also if anyone has any input, in regards to doing work for clients, how do we take photos for their websites/ads if they aren’t local? Hire a photographer? I’m trying to do the math and say someone pays $1,000 for the month, you hire someone to do Instagram from up work and that’s say $100-$200, Facebook idk $150-$200, PPC $100-$200, ad spend PLUS a photographer? You’d have like $200-$300 left over. Am I missing something?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Yes. Get screen cast o matic. Make a 3 to 5 minute video of how you can help them, example if you're doing websites create a 3 to 5 minute video of what they could improve, how you can help them and just give them as much info and the benefits a new website could do for them. My vidoes share my screen and show my talking in the corner of the screen. Screencast allows you to save the video on their platform so just send them the link in your email. Finding the decision makers email is the most tedious part.

I like the added touch of having your face in the corner. That probably helps a lot.

Also, you should do a progress thread.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Yes, for Fastlane peeps, there's still a no brainer price for the full course. It's not really the purpose of this post so if you want it, just shoot me a private message.

noBrainer.png

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA

Action cures fear. Period

Start small. Grow from there.

Focus on the people/businesses that have a lot of money. In my experience, martial arts and fitness places do not.

I personally like industrial niches (concrete, adhesives, etc) and home services (roofers, painters, contractors, etc)

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Action cures fear. Period

Start small. Grow from there.

Focus on the people/businesses that have a lot of money. In my experience, martial arts and fitness places do not.

I personally like industrial niches (concrete, adhesives, etc) and home services (roofers, painters, contractors, etc)

Do you use Facebook ads or google ads for those service type businesses?

Romans Ivanovs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2018
Cambridge, UK
Hi Sean, this is a very helpful post. That model looks quite straightforward. What type of knowledge and skills one needs in order to successfully set up the agency? It looks like an interesting idea to me and I do have a general understanding of marketing and SEO. Thanks!

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
I just watched a video on YouTube about how Sam Ovens would get clients if he had 30 days to do it. He said he would go online, select a niche and go over their websites. He would then record the screen and talk for 5 minutes about how that business could improve their website or advertising. He would then find the decision makers email and send them the link. Send 10 emails a day and within the month you will have a customer. I'm currently trying this now and sending the emails out tomorrow.

OMG, that is fantastic. I had never really thought about that. Thank you so much. I am currently watching a course on how to create an agency and while they talk about methods of finding business owners through sites like local chambers of commerce, the course never talks about the above method. I want to find his video because I'm interested in finding out about once you have grabbed their attention by pointing out what they are doing wrong with their website or advertising how to sell them on the service, what to write and how to turn them into a monthly. Will use this with that course. Hopefully can use that to turn it into a major agency to sell to get into something completely automated to free up time and finally get into the fast lane.

Thanks.

Oh, also almost have finished the Fastlane book. Anyone know how to ad the badge to my profile?

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
sorry if the post becomes so long and bloated, that things previously discussed pop up again.

Been going through the entire thread. At one point it was suggested to go on and create youtube videos and mail to prospective clients. Yes, that does sound interesting.

I was going to look for clients Upwork but decided that maybe going into a directory that I use and then narrowing the search by topic. At that point then use that directory that lists individual website and owners and then contact them about flaws in their website and how you can make it better.

Now while I can diagnose the problems with a website, can you still justify charging like 1K for the websites?

Not sure of the services to offer. I found several agencies with multiple services like Branding, SEO, social media, reputation Management, websites, content curation, Chatbots and more. Talk about overkill.

1) How do you find the right way or rather the right thing to focus on?
2) I want to be able to help companies do better for their employees but improving and building on their web presence.
3)
What is to prevent someone from talking to you about the things wrong with their website and then using that knowledge to change their website and never hire you.
4) After finding the niche and possibly the prospective clients, I was thinking about using arbitrage for these services, (still not sure what yet though).
5) Plus how does one reconcile the FastLane with the fact that since you are doing all the work and may never be able to truly create systems

Would love to know what you think about these ideas. Thank you

Thanks!

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
sorry if the post becomes so long and bloated, that things previously discussed pop up again.

Been going through the entire thread. At one point it was suggested to go on and create youtube videos and mail to prospective clients. Yes, that does sound interesting.

I was going to look for clients Upwork but decided that maybe going into a directory that I use and then narrowing the search by topic. At that point then use that directory that lists individual website and owners and then contact them about flaws in their website and how you can make it better.

Now while I can diagnose the problems with a website, can you still justify charging like 1K for the websites?

Not sure of the services to offer. I found several agencies with multiple services like Branding, SEO, social media, reputation Management, websites, content curation, Chatbots and more. Talk about overkill.

1) How do you find the right way or rather the right thing to focus on?
2) I want to be able to help companies do better for their employees but improving and building on their web presence.
3)
What is to prevent someone from talking to you about the things wrong with their website and then using that knowledge to change their website and never hire you.
4) After finding the niche and possibly the prospective clients, I was thinking about using arbitrage for these services, (still not sure what yet though).
5) Plus how does one reconcile the FastLane with the fact that since you are doing all the work and may never be able to truly create systems

Would love to know what you think about these ideas. Thank you

Thanks!

1. You just jump in and focus on something. There isn't any right thing or wrong thing. Just try to do something that has monthly recurring revenue (MRR). One off gigs are a lot of time for a low lifetime value, but you can use a website as a foot in the door for SEO or something with MRR.
2. Ok.
3. They should be so busy doing business that they don't have the time to make their own website. It's the same thing as lawncare. Anyone can go on YouTube and watch videos on properly maintaining a lawn, but who wants to sit in the sun for four hours every Saturday and do it?

If your client just uses your idea without paying you, then they would have been a crappy client anyway. 100% guaranteed. View it as a way to filter out the bad clients.

4. Yes. You can do that.
5. You can create systems. I know a guy that owns an advertising agency that does 9 figures in yearly revenue. He started in his garage 10 years ago with two friends. You can certainly build systems to make this fastlane.

Other points:

* Upwork sucks. I personally wouldn't even bother on the platform if you're trying to make a legit digital agency. You just have to wade through so much crap. Lots of time without a lot of payoff. Plus, you're on their platform.

* Charging $1k for a website is not a lot. Especially if you think the website will provide over $1k of value over the life of the site. If you can't provide $1k of value to the business, then you should find a client that is a better fit.

Last edited:

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
1. You just jump in and focus on something. There isn't any right thing or wrong thing. Just try to do something that has monthly recurring revenue (MRR). One off gigs are a lot of time for a low lifetime value, but you can use a website as a foot in the door for SEO or something with MRR.
2. Ok.
3. They should be so busy doing business that they don't have the time to make their own website. It's the same thing as lawncare. Anyone can go on YouTube and watch videos on properly maintaining a lawn, but who wants to sit in the sun for four hours every Saturday and do it?

If your client just uses your idea without paying you, then they would have been a crappy client anyway. 100% guaranteed. View it as a way to filter out the bad clients.

4. Yes. You can do that.
5. You can create systems. I know a guy that owns an advertising agency that does 9 figures in yearly revenue. He started in his garage 10 years ago with two friends. You can certainly build systems to make this fastlane.

Other points:

* Upwork sucks. I personally wouldn't even bother on the platform if you're trying to make a legit digital agency. You just have to wade through so much crap. Lots of time without a lot of payoff. Plus, you're on their platform.

* Charging $1k for a website is not a lot. Especially if you think the website will provide over $1k of value over the life of the site. If you can't provide $1k of value to the business, then you should find a client that is a better fit.

Great response. I was going to reply but your response was on point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Hadn't seen this the "no brainer" pricing option, but I purchased your course anyways! Talked to my mechanic about his website when I went to pick up my car from the shop, and we are scheduling a time to meet & talk about the different options. Excited to follow in your footsteps and hoping to reach freedom in 3 months!

Last edited:

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
What type of knowledge and skills one needs in order to successfully set up the agency?

A desire to set up a system and build a team. Oh, and being willing to sell to business owners. A lot.

No, you don't have to know every single detail about website design or SEO or whatever. Sales, systems, team.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
hoping to reach freedom in 3 months!

You can do it. Even with the holiday season - especially with the holiday season.

That's awesome news about the mechanic. That will lead to even more. Keep pushing hard.

if you need any extra help, let me know!

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
pointing out what they are doing wrong with their website

Just being nit-picky but it's not "what they're doing wrong".

Rephrase it as "what they could be doing better to drive even more business".

If you get people who respond out of fear of what they're doing wrong, they will most likely be the worst kind of clients.

You want clients who respond to wanting to make their business better - not keeping it from getting worse.

Different mindset. It makes all the difference.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
2. Ok.

4. Yes. You can do that.

Other points:

If you get people who respond out of fear of what they're doing wrong, they will most likely be the worst kind of clients.

You want clients who respond to wanting to make their business better - not keeping it from getting worse.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
thanks. So much to learn. I am currently looking at restaurants and it is amazing how many are on manta and trip advisor and don't have web pages of their own. These might be the best to go after in addition to those with webpages that need improving all those only finding a few in the higher population areas right now.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
1. You just jump in and focus on something. There isn't any right thing or wrong thing. Just try to do something that has monthly recurring revenue (MRR).
One off gigs are a lot of time for a low lifetime value, but you can use a website as a foot in the door for SEO or something with MRR.

I have researched some restaurants that have had awful awful websites and the vast majority, however, have awesome websites. They are larger restaurants. The smaller ones that can use the service probably can't afford it and basically probably would not see the value in monthly services. Some of them have GOD awful menus that basically only come up in a pdf.

I was looking at the function that comes up when you type restaurants in such ad such and you see pin A, B, C, and their location, website info button, phone etc. I could offer those things to someplace without a website but wouldn't SEO have to go along with that? It is so crowded and IM thinking that it does not go along with the message of the book, that I would just one among many in a crowded field. Just starting to get a little discouraged the farther in I go. Thanks

Romans Ivanovs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2018
Cambridge, UK
A desire to set up a system and build a team. Oh, and being willing to sell to business owners. A lot.

No, you don't have to know every single detail about website design or SEO or whatever. Sales, systems, team.

Ok, I have an average understanding of marketing, quite a lot of experience in b2b and b2c sales and quite a big desire to build an automated business. I’m currently working for a family run property company as a jack of all traits. Perhaps I can start right here and learn marketing as I go.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
It is so crowded and IM thinking that it does not go along with the message of the book, that I would just one among many in a crowded field.

I could start over right now today and scale up a brand new digital marketing agency.

"It's never a bad time to start a great business" - Gary Vaynerchuk.

Sure, it's crowded. So are a lot of industries.

You just have to target the right businesses. Restaurants? Not so much. In my own experience, they don't have the budget.

Focus on people who have the budget. Be great yourself - have a great USP. Then hustle. I don't mean to downplay the work involved but it's pretty straightforward. There's no mystery to it.

This entire thread is 1000% more than what I had when I got started and I was profitable in month 1.

Rabcats

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 19, 2018
Philippines
Hi @Sean Marshall, great post! I'm a freelancer for 9 years now doing digital marketing / SEO services to business online and I would like to start my own digital marketing agency.

How do you deal with clients if they'll ask for your credential? Did you experience the same thing when you first started your business and selling to clients? How did you deal with it?

Last edited:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Not just that, but if you've emailed the business owner, pointing out whats been done wrong to that point is a good way to put them offside with you from the very start, considering they may have done the work themselves.

Great thread @Sean Marshall!

Rabcats

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 19, 2018
Philippines
I just watched a video on YouTube about how Sam Ovens would get clients if he had 30 days to do it. He said he would go online, select a niche and go over their websites. He would then record the screen and talk for 5 minutes about how that business could improve their website or advertising. He would then find the decision makers email and send them the link. Send 10 emails a day and within the month you will have a customer. I'm currently trying this now and sending the emails out tomorrow.
@momomaurice - holy cow! I didn't know it's just that simple. This is very doable! Great stuff! Thank you for your sharing your thoughts.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Not just that, but if you've emailed the business owner, pointing out whats been done wrong to that point is a good way to put them offside with you from the very start, considering they may have done the work themselves.

Great thread @Sean Marshall!

That's a risk, but it's mostly overblown in my opinion. Honestly, anyone can do basic digital marketing type stuff after watching a few YouTube videos and some Udemy courses. This isn't nuclear physics or engineering that requires 4 years of schooling and a license.

These small-medium business owners hire us (marketers) because they don't want to spend TIME even thinking about this stuff. If they do, then they're probably gonna be a cheap client or a micromanager.

Last edited:

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It sounds very interesting to me.
The thing is I really get frustrated by thinking about SEO and SEA, I really don't like it and it's so boring.

I do like social media advertising and email.
This is not that many of services to provide...

Is this just not made for me?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.