• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Sean Marshall, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    Agreed!

2. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    This is what a social media manager does.

I'm a big fan of using software to automate things when possible but some jobs require humans.

Bearcorp likes this.
  3. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    YES!!!!

BUT, this is what nobody wants to hear. Everything you just said requires (gasp) work! So many people want to just send 10,000 spam emails and magically get 1000 clients all paying them $1000/mo.

HUSTLE!!

The good news is that you can contract someone to do what you mentioned above (after doing it a little yourself to refine it and iron out the kinks). Then it can be one of the tasks of your team to be bringing in a steady stream of new clients.

momomaurice and rogue synthetic like this.
  4. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    Great questions.

For starters, you get what you pay for. Don't go cheap. Honestly, I get all of my contractors from the Philippines. Sometimes Eastern Europe. For for middle of the road or just better than that.

Second, I list everything out in crazy detail. But wait, I don't know Schema markup... But there are about 500 great articles/videos online that do and they list it out in crazy detail.

If you hire good people (not cheap, bottom of the barrel) and specify every single thing (using something like Asana or Basecamp), those will drastically lessen the chances of something not going well.

You list out the work you're going to do for a client, you get it done, and then you report to them how well it was done (& the results it gave them). Month after month.

5. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    YES!

Yes, sometimes I'll resend the initial email. Other times, if I really want them and don't mind chasing a bit (especially in the early days), I'll send an article that would be really helpful to them. I might even send instructions on how to do something. All trying to be seen as a resource and not a spammer.

RoadTrip, Required, Jeff Noel and 2 others like this.
  6. StompingAcorns

StompingAcorns Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,825
    Sean Marshall likes this.
  7. JOEY KANG

JOEY KANG New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $46
    Thanks for taking the time to write out this. really helpful!

8. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $452
    Sean nails the pattern very well.
    Just know that digital marketing has commoditized.

9. Adnan Omicevic

Adnan Omicevic New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $6
    I am new here, and i see a lot of comments but i need to say this
    Dude you are Awesome
    I am 18 and i woud do something like this but i think i woud only need 90 Days to understand this all hahah.
    But this Post is Life Changing

10. Torsten

Torsten New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Sean, thank you for this great thread and your time spent answering all the questions discussed.
    :clap::

11. momomaurice

momomaurice Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,035
    Exactly, thanks for the reply. So I've done a week so far. Sending emails is very tedious and trying to find the decision makers emails is hard work. I didn't get any replies yet but I'm tracking my emails with yesware. If someone opens the email twice or more I send them a follow up email. I went and spoke to a few tradesmen and a business owner I know about doing Google Ads, they all said they'll have a think about it after Xmas. The business owner owns a pretty large bathroom renovation store and he never heard of Google Ads. (he gets his customers from word of mouth and the local paper, WTF!) I planted the seeds so hopefully something comes of it.

12. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    Just the fact alone that you did this puts you head and shoulders above everyone else. When you actually speak with other humans, it won't take long before you get a few that will pay you. And then more will start to come in. Getting that first sale is key - it triggers something mentally and makes the rest that much easier.

Keep hustling! It will happen.

rogue synthetic and momomaurice like this.
  13. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $1,035

Got my first sales call for Monday morning. These "value videos" work.

14. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,847
    Value videos?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $1,035
    Yes. Get screen cast o matic. Make a 3 to 5 minute video of how you can help them, example if you're doing websites create a 3 to 5 minute video of what they could improve, how you can help them and just give them as much info and the benefits a new website could do for them. My vidoes share my screen and show my talking in the corner of the screen. Screencast allows you to save the video on their platform so just send them the link in your email. Finding the decision makers email is the most tedious part.

16. Micahbiz

Micahbiz New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $71
    Hey, a few questions. I saw Fox's post about selling websites so I've been teaching myself coding, in doing so I couldn't help but think about other ways I could add value and help clients. It reminded me about when I started a Marketing agency a few couple years ago, I got everything setup: website, incorporated, business cards etc. My issue was going to actually sell people on my services. I struggle with knowing I can get them the results I promise. I couldn't bring myself to ask people for $500-$1000+ a month when I was not sure that I could deliver them that much in sales or more. What's worse, I struggled with the anxiety of WHAT IF, what if I promise them a result AND MAKE THE SALE and I can't get the results for real.

I ended up visiting 3-4 places, one was super interested but I blew it at the sales meeting. The other again, I sent him logo designs but didn't pursue as aggressively as I should have. After that, I figured ''one is a restaurant, the other a barber shop how the hell would I bring them more than $1000 a month in revenue''.... and so I gave up.

Looking back, I approached four people and two wanted to sit down. That's not bad! I didn't even give that much value, I just researched them, mentioned it and they were interested one even wanted me as a possible partner on a business venture. Now, sorry for rambling, what I would like to know is HOW DO I GET OVER THIS FEAR? I don't trust that I can get my client results for sure(at least results that bring in over $1000 monthly) even though I know I can add value to their business.

Second, I struggle with picking a niche; I want to do everything. I'm worried that if I go for a single niche and brand my company after said niche(a name that says, hey I do marketing for doctors) I'll run out of potential clients or won't be able to expand. How do I overcome this?

Third and last, I was gonna focus solely on martial arts studios and fitness related places so I bought a domain centered around that. My concern here is these places don't make a ton of money so maybe I should expand to chiropractors and physical therapists but now I suppose I'm not really niched down. Should I just say screw the industry I'm passionate about and focus on clients that A.) Focus on places that can afford to pay $1000+ and B.) Make more off individual clients? That way if I bring in only one customer worst case, they still get a great ROI?

Sorry for the drawn out response. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

17. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $1,035
    I got stuck on a niche and choosing whether to do websites, Facebook ads or Google Ads. I've finally settled on Google Ads which took me months don't be the same as me, just pick a niche and go for it.

You seem to be doubting your own skills before you even biggen. Why not give them a free trial if you're doubting yourself to see how it goes first?

18. Micahbiz

Micahbiz New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $71
    I think you’re right about that. I have a few people in mind that own pretty large local business I’m planning on doing free work for to build up a portfolio. After that I’m sure I’ll feel more comfortable. Hmmm, maybe it’s because I’m charging... If someone asked me right now to help them for free I think I could confidently do it, probably because I can experiment so no pressure. For cash though I feel obligated to over deliver and what if I can’t? By the way! I’m looking for someone to ease my mind I’m pressing forward no matter what, even if I look like a moron.

Also if anyone has any input, in regards to doing work for clients, how do we take photos for their websites/ads if they aren’t local? Hire a photographer? I’m trying to do the math and say someone pays $1,000 for the month, you hire someone to do Instagram from up work and that’s say $100-$200, Facebook idk $150-$200, PPC $100-$200, ad spend PLUS a photographer? You’d have like $200-$300 left over. Am I missing something?

19. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,579
    I like the added touch of having your face in the corner. That probably helps a lot.

Also, you should do a progress thread.

20. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100

21. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    Action cures fear. Period

Start small. Grow from there.

Focus on the people/businesses that have a lot of money. In my experience, martial arts and fitness places do not.

I personally like industrial niches (concrete, adhesives, etc) and home services (roofers, painters, contractors, etc)

22. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,645
    Do you use Facebook ads or google ads for those service type businesses?

23. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $6,100
    Yes, for some of them. Not all of them though.

24. Scott Robertson

Scott Robertson New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    Thank you Sean, this was a very motivating post.

25. Romans Ivanovs

Romans Ivanovs New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hi Sean, this is a very helpful post. That model looks quite straightforward. What type of knowledge and skills one needs in order to successfully set up the agency? It looks like an interesting idea to me and I do have a general understanding of marketing and SEO. Thanks!