The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Bru

Contributor
Oct 17, 2018
France
update, so since I jumped in. I learned A LOT. Even though nothing of significance has even happened yet.

so far I've redesigned my website (it looks amazing right now), I Learned a lot more about SEO, I Set up a PayPal business account and learned how to send invoices and stuff with it, so if I get paid I won't have to worry about it.:cool: And last but not least, I've messaged and talked to a few people on Fiverr to figure out who will be doing my web design work, my SEO work, etc.

As for my current problem. Getting my first client. It feels like I'm tripping through the process. Here's what I've done so far to reach out to clients:
  • I created a LinkedIn, made it look appealing, and I tried "connecting" with the founders of business I found in my area that looked like they needed help with web design or were simply just not on the first page of google.
  • On the daily, I've been looking for businesses in my area that aren't on the first page of Google, & fit my client requirements (they have to earn a lot per customer I bring them, IE: roofing companies customers pay like $15k per roof, so doing SEO for them and bringing them an extra 10 or 20 customers a month can justify me charging a lot for my service) I built a little email list of businesses, and I've been sending out lots of emails.
I think that email strategy is working, I'm not sure. When I email these companies I send an email that looks like this:

"Hey, I was on your site after I looked up "chiropractor In Dallas" and I noticed that you weren't on the first page nor were you on the first-page google maps listings. This can be bad for your revenue, and simply put, it leaves a lot of money and customers on the table. There are, however, a few quick and easy ways to fix this, and I'd like to help! Instead of writing to you about the solution, I made you a short video.

In the video, I go over your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and your competitors SEO. Here are some of the competitors I talk about in the video:

Restoration Dallas Chiropractic | MaxLiving
Manning Wellness Holiday Drive to Benefit the Birthday Party Project
drericaperez.com/
www.modernbackandneckclinic.com/

It seems that this market is easy to tackle, as your competitors for "chiropractor in Dallas" are not yet doing SEO in the Dallas area. If you would like to see the video, reply to this email, I'll send it over.

Cheers,

(my contact information goes here)
"

The video I'm talking about sending would be a video where I go over their ranking on the search results page, show them how much traffic certain keywords are getting, and then I show them how much customers they could be bringing in if they ranked for said keyword. basically, I'm trying to show them the benefit of SEO, and I'm also giving them some tips.

The reason I'm not sending the video in the first email is to make sure that I only send videos and spend the time making them to the people that are actually interested. This saves me time (my most valuable asset) as opposed to making and sending videos to every email I find.

The problem With the system I have has been the response rate. currently, it Is zero. No noise on LinkedIn, and absolutely zero responses to my emails. I've sent out about 35 emails so far:

maybe I just need to send more. But as you can see, I've sent a follow-up email to a couple, it's been around 1 week since I first approached those, and now I'm waiting for a few more business days before I send follow up emails to the rest.

I think I had unrealistic expectations, If I'm being honest, Despite what people say about cold emails and cold calling, I was expecting the first 11 or so emails to find someone interested and secure a paying client in 1 weeks time, but that's not the case. I'm hoping this is a game of patience and consistency, So I'm going to continue sending emails, but I might tweak my email a little, make it sound better.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Hi, good seing you re working toward your goal. Keep the motivation!!

Consider chiropractors are not necessary always behind their computer, maybe calling them directly would be more efficient.
Try running a really quick SEO audit of their website (there are free tools online to quickly assess: page speed, meta description, titles, keywords...) . It can actually take 20 to 30min to spot a few improvement areas.
Tell them they can really get more visits to their site (try to identify a range, « between 150 and 300 visits a month ») and that with a bit of optimization they could easily get 3 to 5more patients a month. This would make the benefit more concret for them.
All the best

seckram

PARKED
Dec 18, 2018
Hey, after reading your post I think it's time to start my own SMMA company. Your post is really great and a value bomb. Just wanted to ask if you would do your business targeting local businesses or you would do internationally. Taking into account that I live in Spain.

Timothy Bryce

New Contributor
Dec 24, 2018
Hi Sean, thank you for the great post that was really helpful!

During the early stages of your Digital Marketing Agency I was wondering how you were able to make enough money from each project and still pay someone else do to the actual work?

A problem I am experiencing right now(at my own digital marketing agency), is that after hiring a web developer or social media manager to do the actual work, I am left with little in the form of profits.

Thank you!

T

Last edited:

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
www.familyrocketship.com
I'm wondering what makes free value makes people strangers to prospects?
Anything that makes their lives easier or shows them how to make more money, easier. Period. Make it a no-brainer for them.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
www.familyrocketship.com
Got a website up. Been watching a few SEO videos. Basically went through some keyword research exercises, technical SEO, and moving onto on-page SEO. I am having a few frustrations though.
Just start selling. The answers to all of these questions will take care of themselves as you speak with real business owners. Make a sale and you'll get it all sorted fast.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
www.familyrocketship.com
The reason I'm not sending the video in the first email is to make sure that I only send videos and spend the time making them to the people that are actually interested.
If email is your only source of new leads, you're going to be exactly like the millions of other agencies (especially those based in India).

Business owners delete these. I know. My clients tell me. I even get them!

Provide value right out of the gate.

Side note - chiropractors are not worth it. Too much competition. I've already shared a lot of other industries in this thread that are worth your time.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
www.familyrocketship.com
Just wanted to ask if you would do your business targeting local businesses or you would do internationally.
Both! In Spain, you'll have to evaluate if they:

1. See the need to market their business online
2. Have the budget to do so

Everything depends on that.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
www.familyrocketship.com
Hi Sean, thank you for the great post that was really helpful!

During the early stages of your Digital Marketing Agency I was wondering how you were able to make enough money from each project and still pay someone else do to the actual work?

A problem I am experiencing right now(at my own digital marketing agency), is that after hiring a web developer or social media manager to do the actual work, I am left with little in the form of profits
Increase your prices and/or find more affordable contractors. My entire team is in the Philippines. Very cost effective.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
Just start selling. The answers to all of these questions will take care of themselves as you speak with real business owners. Make a sale and you'll get it all sorted fast.
Amen. There should be a bot posting this at random throughout the forum.

@ZCP

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
If email is your only source of new leads, you're going to be exactly like the millions of other agencies (especially those based in India).

Business owners delete these. I know. My clients tell me. I even get them!

Provide value right out of the gate.
...unless you email a lead of course. But then that’s providing value right out of the gate.

NewManRising

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2017
White City, OR
Yeah, I plan to collect leads by office walk-ins, organic traffic to my website (which could take awhile), and maybe even sending a postcard/flyer through the mail. A niche I was interested in has a few local businesses. I just have to come up with a great offer and USP. As of right now I don't think my offer is strong enough.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 4, 2012
Congrats on your success, you obviously know what you're doing in terms of sales.

After taking a look at Homepage - Social Rocketship , let me know if you need help. Your seem to be missing very basic SEO, not a good look for someone who sells SEO.

I'm only being snarky because companies like this plague the industry and give us SEOs a bad name. You might be able to fool a couple clients but this isn't sustainable.

Good luck selling your course though, i'm sure people will eat it up ;)

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 10, 2015
Hey @Sean Marshall,

Thanks for this thread, it's great. Do you ever get feedback from your customers where they say things like, "Wow, thank you so much, this is awesome!" Are they usually very happy with what your company does for them?

Bru

Contributor
Oct 17, 2018
France
Hi @Sean Marshall
I m starting to have some volume of work and will start to scale by hiring a team of freelancers.
By any chance, would you mind to communicate how you did to build your team? Where and how you approach them?

One challenge from my side is that I ll probably need also French speaking team members as a big part of my customers and market is speaking French.

Thanks in advance
All the best

Timothy Bryce

New Contributor
Dec 24, 2018
Increase your prices and/or find more affordable contractors. My entire team is in the Philippines. Very cost effective.
Thanks a lot Sean!

I was also wondering how you justify your prices to clients?

My experience has been that with a commodity type business like web design or digital marketing, I am often undercut on price by competitors.

How are you able to get around this and charge larger fees?

Thank you!

Youss

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 12, 2019
France
Hi @Sean Marshall
One challenge from my side is that I ll probably need also French speaking team members as a big part of my customers and market is speaking French.
I don't know how you want to set up your team but I can see 2 options for you:

1. Have only one offshore centre and hire your French speaking team mates there. To give you an idea, when I lived in the Philippines 10 years ago I got friends who were from Ivory Coast and they were doing customer support for BlackBerry's Canadian market. Talk about globalization!
2. You have a different offshore centre for both languages. When it comes to French-speaking, IT savvy and service oriented people I would say Tunisia is probably the #1 option you want to discover. Plus the country has good infrastructures as it's a customer service platform for many French companies. Morocco would be #2 I guess.

Bru

Contributor
Oct 17, 2018
France
I don't know how you want to set up your team but I can see 2 options for you:

1. Have only one offshore centre and hire your French speaking team mates there. To give you an idea, when I lived in the Philippines 10 years ago I got friends who were from Ivory Coast and they were doing customer support for BlackBerry's Canadian market. Talk about globalization!
2. You have a different offshore centre for both languages. When it comes to French-speaking, IT savvy and service oriented people I would say Tunisia is probably the #1 option you want to discover. Plus the country has good infrastructures as it's a customer service platform for many French companies. Morocco would be #2 I guess.
Thanks a lot for your advices
I ll explore those options

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I want to give this a shot.
I've been reading about online marketing before but never really stayed with it.

Where should I start? What service?
Should I learn one? Outsource it right away?

Should I start locally? Nationally? Internationally?

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Took me 2 hours but I've been reading all the pages.
Tons of useful information, really amazing.

Something inside me is always holding me back to just GO and DO it. I'm kind of introverted and always want to know the outcome before I even start (it's annoying). I should let go off that and just GO.

Any tips on that? I only feeling 'confident' when I know my stuff 100% and I hate being in conversation with someone and you can only reply with 'uhm yeah.. something like that, not sure either'.

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018

Something inside me is always holding me back to just GO and DO it. I'm kind of introverted and always want to know the outcome before I even start (it's annoying). I should let go off that and just GO.

Any tips on that? I only feeling 'confident' when I know my stuff 100% and I hate being in conversation with someone and you can only reply with 'uhm yeah.. something like that, not sure either'.
You sound similar to how I am. You're not going to know everything straight away. Continue learning as much as you can, get selling, learn from your mistakes, keep doing that and after a few weeks you'll be more experienced and in a much better position knowing what you need than trying to gather information beforehand.

Bora.s

New Contributor
Aug 12, 2018
AUSTRIA

Just do it. It took me many years to start a business for similar reasons. First I checked franchise businesses, 3 totally different systems. It took me around 3 years. The last one I almost buy, because of fear to fail I didn't buy it. Then I wanted to buy an existing business, but we quarreled with the owners about the purchase price after almost one year of negotiation and checking. Finally I decided just to start my own business after many years of searching for the right business/ right time/ right circumstances/ right knowledge….. But you know what all the businesses that I have checked are still working today and would have worked for me. Also the business owners I met during this journey, they were not more intelligent than me or somehow special. I started to believe if they can do it, I and you can do it definitely too. All the best for your journey.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2017
Oregon

The main theme throughout this entire forum is to simply START. Honestly, if you can take that first step and take real action, you are already doing more than 97% of the others out there.

Crush fear with action. Learn as you go. Good luck!

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.