The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Changing my life and it feels amazing

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I've always had an interest in health and fitness but have always had issues with consistency. Even when I was 19 years old managing a gym I would make excuses not to train.

Anyway I just turned 33 a few days ago. Last year my weight hit an all time high of 246 pounds and I'm only 5'9 tall. This is unacceptable. I have a wife, kids, am a former athlete, and I'm a cop. While lots of cops are fat I find it unacceptable, I was now part of the problem. My job makes it harder than a lot of jobs to stay in shape but in reality its just another excuse.

2015 was a bad year for my family but I turned things around and made a mindset shift (See my "Bought a Huge house with a 3 car garage" thread). With this mindset shift came the decision that I needed to regain my health.

I'm currently down 34 pounds and it feels absolutely AMAZING!!! I feel better physically but also mentally. If you're on the fence about starting an exercise and / or healthy food program, please do it. It has helped me in SO MANY ways. I am not here to try to give out any type of advice... if you need help, do some research and find QUALIFIED people to help you. If you already know your shit and are just slacking, then GET TO IT!!

I hope this motivates at least one person to get back into the gym!! Have a great night everyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
fat.jpg

Here's some pics of my changes so far. I'm not close to where I want to be but I've improved dramatically. I apologize for my "Movember" stache from 2015 lol.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
You look completely different from last year (in a good way).

Congrats.

Intermittent fasting might help you reach your goal faster.

I found out how effective it was after a night of binge drinking.

I burned my lower oesophagus from vomiting and I couldn't eat for the next 2 days.

My fat percentage went from 21% to 17% within 48 hours. 4% loss in 48 hours!

And I couldn't even lose half a percent for the past 4 years from working out religiously and eating 'healthy'.

I decided to change my eating pattern by fasting for 16 hours and eating in an 8 hours window every day for the past two weeks and my body fat percentage has dropped to 15%.

I look leaner. My jawline is starting to become more visible. And my waist is starting to have the V shape.

It might or might not work for you.

But it definitely made hell of a difference to my life.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've always had an interest in health and fitness but have always had issues with consistency. Even when I was 19 years old managing a gym I would make excuses not to train.

Anyway I just turned 33 a few days ago. Last year my weight hit an all time high of 246 pounds and I'm only 5'9 tall. This is unacceptable. I have a wife, kids, am a former athlete, and I'm a cop. While lots of cops are fat I find it unacceptable, I was now part of the problem. My job makes it harder than a lot of jobs to stay in shape but in reality its just another excuse.

2015 was a bad year for my family but I turned things around and made a mindset shift (See my "Bought a Huge house with a 3 car garage" thread). With this mindset shift came the decision that I needed to regain my health.

I'm currently down 34 pounds and it feels absolutely AMAZING!!! I feel better physically but also mentally. If you're on the fence about starting an exercise and / or healthy food program, please do it. It has helped me in SO MANY ways. I am not here to try to give out any type of advice... if you need help, do some research and find QUALIFIED people to help you. If you already know your shit and are just slacking, then GET TO IT!!

I hope this motivates at least one person to get back into the gym!! Have a great night everyone.
Good for you. That right there is true wealth. Family and health comes ahead of everything.

Thank you for posting, and for the pictures - they bring your words to life.

Very inspiring. Well done.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Congratulations on the results so far, keep it up man!

I had likewise been inconsistent with working out until recently when I listened to a podcast by @snowbank talking about "investing in yourself".

I'm not overweight, it's the opposite. I'm a skinny, lanky, scrawny-a$$ nerd and I want to build some strength. I decided to put some money on the line and invest in myself: I paid an online climbing trainer to come up with a training plan to increase my boulder route difficulty by two grades, and to get me to 10 consecutive pull ups, by the end of the year.

It's taken the mental blocks inhibitions away, and has been as simple as "Do what she tells me to do". It wasn't even a lot of money ($150), but the thought of wasting is an unusually powerful motivator.

It's been so effective, that I'm thinking of hiring a business coach as well.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
As someone who's been skinny and fit my whole life, I've noticed I'm just eating junk because I'm too busy hustling to care about my diet. I realized now I need to stop, thanks OP.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
You look completely different from last year (in a good way).

Congrats.

Intermittent fasting might help you reach your goal faster.

I found out how effective it was after a night of binge drinking.

I burned my lower oesophagus from vomiting and I couldn't eat for the next 2 days.

My fat percentage went from 21% to 17% within 48 hours. 4% loss in 48 hours!

And I couldn't even lose half a percent for the past 4 years from working out religiously and eating 'healthy'.

I decided to change my eating pattern by fasting for 16 hours and eating in an 8 hours window every day for the past two weeks and my body fat percentage has dropped to 15%.

I look leaner. My jawline is starting to become more visible. And my waist is starting to have the V shape.

It might or might not work for you.

But it definitely made hell of a difference to my life.

Thanks so much Nily! I've heard GREAT things about IF. I definitely plan on giving it a try in the future.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Good for you. That right there is true wealth. Family and health comes ahead of everything.

Thank you for posting, and for the pictures - they bring your words to life.

Very inspiring. Well done.

Thanks for the kind words Andy! Family and health definitely come ahead of everything! Feeling great so I had to share with you all.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Congratulations on the results so far, keep it up man!

I had likewise been inconsistent with working out until recently when I listened to a podcast by @snowbank talking about "investing in yourself".

I'm not overweight, it's the opposite. I'm a skinny, lanky, scrawny-a$$ nerd and I want to build some strength. I decided to put some money on the line and invest in myself: I paid an online climbing trainer to come up with a training plan to increase my boulder route difficulty by two grades, and to get me to 10 consecutive pull ups, by the end of the year.

It's taken the mental blocks inhibitions away, and has been as simple as "Do what she tells me to do". It wasn't even a lot of money ($150), but the thought of wasting is an unusually powerful motivator.

It's been so effective, that I'm thinking of hiring a business coach as well.

Thanks for the kind words.

I also decided it was time to "invest in myself" and hired someone for help. I'm confident with my training plan but wasn't confident at all in my eating. I did a bunch of research and found a coach to help me. It was a game changer for sure. I'm on week #8 of a 24 week nutrition program and it has really kicked my results up a notch. It wasn't cheap but it was TOTALLY worth it.

Keep up the great work man.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
As someone who's been skinny and fit my whole life, I've noticed I'm just eating junk because I'm too busy hustling to care about my diet. I realized now I need to stop, thanks OP.

You're very welcome :)

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
thats good progress, that level of commitment will definately rub off onto your entrepreneurial ventures

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
CONGRATULATIONS ! You just did the most personal thing you can do for yourself. Something no one else could ever do for you. It was all you.

I'm happy to read these kind of success stories.

Now that you've had this success....you should feel like whatever you choose to do next...you can.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
thats good progress, that level of commitment will definately rub off onto your entrepreneurial ventures

Thanks.. and I agree. I definitely feel that I've learned discipline and personal accountability.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
CONGRATULATIONS ! You just did the most personal thing you can do for yourself. Something no one else could ever do for you. It was all you.

I'm happy to read these kind of success stories.

Now that you've had this success....you should feel like whatever you choose to do next...you can.

Thank you! I feel awesome even though I have plenty of work left to do. My confidence levels have risen and I know I can take on anything.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yes it does man.

I'm 26, also 5'8 5'9, been a absolute skinny weakling all my life, persistent minor acne issues, lazy eating habits.
Finally started keeping workout journal 2 years ago but didn't workout smart, just doing reps till exhaustion which didn't increase my strength at all in the long run.

Finally got F*ckin sick of this shit, read Convict Conditioning 1,2 and 3, The Naked Warrior, Power to the people, beyond bodybuilding, C-MASS calisthenics and now i formed a proper progression based calisthenic workout and my gut feeling tells me im doing it the right way now.

Also completely regimented my diet, i read Anabolic Diet which promotes max fat and protein with minimal carbs on weekdays and high carb load on weekends which causes the body to preserve muscle when losing fat.

Through sheer force of willpower i also gave up F*ckin sugar... goddamn sugar, sweets and cakes and all that good stuff. I think ill only indulge on the weekends or after sports or whatever.

Also read the way of energy which teaches zhan zhuang, similar to tai chi but mostly involves simply standing still for a while instead of moving around, its very interesting.

I just got off night shift about a month ago after a year which was totally mentally and physically destructive. After i got off the shift i couldn't for my life wake up in the morning, but finally today forced myself to get up at 7am, did my taichi for 10 minutes and jump roped for 10 minutes all before breakfast, its awesome to start your day on a high note instead of waking up at 3 F*ckin PM and go straight to my day job.

I don't see why i can't follow these SIMPLE habits for the rest of my life, im certain to live far longer and far healthier.

Tryhard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 7, 2015
Yes it does man.

I'm 26, also 5'8 5'9, been a absolute skinny weakling all my life, persistent minor acne issues, lazy eating habits.
Finally started keeping workout journal 2 years ago but didn't workout smart, just doing reps till exhaustion which didn't increase my strength at all in the long run.

Finally got F*ckin sick of this shit, read Convict Conditioning 1,2 and 3, The Naked Warrior, Power to the people, beyond bodybuilding, C-MASS calisthenics and now i formed a proper progression based calisthenic workout and my gut feeling tells me im doing it the right way now.

Also completely regimented my diet, i read Anabolic Diet which promotes max fat and protein with minimal carbs on weekdays and high carb load on weekends which causes the body to preserve muscle when losing fat.

Through sheer force of willpower i also gave up F*ckin sugar... goddamn sugar, sweets and cakes and all that good stuff. I think ill only indulge on the weekends or after sports or whatever.

Also read the way of energy which teaches zhan zhuang, similar to tai chi but mostly involves simply standing still for a while instead of moving around, its very interesting.

I just got off night shift about a month ago after a year which was totally mentally and physically destructive. After i got off the shift i couldn't for my life wake up in the morning, but finally today forced myself to get up at 7am, did my taichi for 10 minutes and jump roped for 10 minutes all before breakfast, its awesome to start your day on a high note instead of waking up at 3 F*ckin PM and go straight to my day job.

I don't see why i can't follow these SIMPLE habits for the rest of my life, im certain to live far longer and far healthier.
I've been lax on working out as of late - read Nelson Montana's body building books the other day and these seem like good choices since they clear up a lot of the confusion over working out and explain it in principles instead of just one guy advocating 'his special routine'.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Still recovering from Adrenal Fatigue slowly but surely, and thinking about how I could speed up fat loss/exercise without added strain.

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Hey all - I just started using a free app on my iphone called bodfit (I have no affiliation whatsoever). It's pretty cool it gives you a list of exercises to do each time you workout that are catered towards which of your muscles are recovered. Check it out if you are uncreative at working out like I am.

Seems like a couple of you in here are targeting fat loss and I just wanted to remind you that muscle takes more calories per day to maintain so you would burn more calories doing nothing so long as you maintain your muscles.

Tryhard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 7, 2015
I'd like to quit smoking sometime before the end of this year - been smoking for 7 years and feel that it's just bad for my health and a drain on my finances; managed to quit once for over a month but felt I ended up replacing the 'craving' with other mild addictions such as compulsive social media or video gaming, and ended up relapsing.

Been looking into Zen and mindfulness Meditation (such as their breathing exercises) and thinking it might be the best aid to quitting cold turkey. Not going to bother with "aids" such as e-cigarettes since I attempted to use them before but they didn't really help because I wasn't mentally set on quitting, just casually using the aid hoping it would "work".

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Still recovering from Adrenal Fatigue slowly but surely, and thinking about how I could speed up fat loss/exercise without added strain.
Start way smaller than you think you "have to"

I started doing walks on a treadmill - 30 minutes max

Then twice a day

Then it turned into a desire to add a workout - which I put the brakes on and did 2 sets of 5 push ups, 2 sets of 10 squats (I am almost embarrassed to write that - and even more embarrassed that I was sore the next day....)

To me, if it isn't enjoyable you wont be consistent - and consistency trumps everything else here.

The most important thing I ever came to understand about health is how critical self compassion is. I think it is completely contrary to the status quo to say that self compassion is the key to health in a culture that believes health centers around being able to treat yourself like some kind of criminal because you can't beat yourself into becoming the person you want to be.

The truth is that what brings you health is having a real grip on the fact that you are a human being.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm currently down 34 pounds and it feels absolutely AMAZING!!!

Dude, you really are starting to collect some wins. So great to hear it.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Hope you guys are all doing well! Figured I'd bump this post and see who else wants to get motivated and get into the gym, clean up the diet, whatever!

Here's me in week 1 of my program vs me in week 10 of my program (Both pics are relaxed no flex, and not sticking gut out lol)... I'm currently on week 17 of a 24 week program. I am going to do another 24 weeks immediately though!

1vs10.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.