The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can we talk about PhDs?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Hello,

Earlier this year I completed my PhD. I often tell people it's the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I feel burnt out and bitter and like I wasted a ton of time, energy, and money. I feel like I am so far behind in life because of it.
At the same time I do realize that a lot of good has come out of it and I can use the experience moving forward.
I know I decided to pursue the degree and it's up to me to take action to move my life in the direction I want.
l suppose I'm recovering from and in a way grieving about the whole thing. I've been finding it helpful and enlightening to talk to others about their experiences.

I'm wondering if any of you have gotten PhDs and what your experience was like. Did you find yourself in a 9-to-5 after graduation? Was entrepreneurship always your end goal? If not, what was/is your journey like in moving from academia mindsets (of your own and those around you) to the "fastlane" mindset? How has, and/or what from, the PhD experience helped you most in your entrepreneurial journey?

If you don't have a PhD I'd love to hear from you too! Did you ever consider it?

Really just looking for a broad and general discussion and sharing of experiences regarding PhDs (or even Master's or other degrees).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

simply_ravishing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Nov 12, 2022
first of all, congrats on a truly impressive achievement
secondly, it's okay to take a break, unwind, get a massage, and de-stimulate, unplug for a bit, give yourself permission to do so,
thirdly, seriously, take a break, lol, even if it's just a break from following so many rules

personally, I'm very likely pursuing grad school but still in undergrad, so unfortunately cannot give too much candor on the subject.

I'm sure there's a few advanced degree holders who will be willing to share insights and advices.
again, congrats
best,

ps gonna tag @Lex DeVille here since he's pursuing an advanced degree iirc, maybe he can chime in

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
hi,
Congratulations! Even if the PhD will turn out to not really be valuable for making money you still showed me and the rest of the world that you are capable of doing and sticking to something that is not easy.
Personally i am finishing my bachelor degree this year and after this i will continue with my entrepreneurial journey i am glad i found TMF this early, otherwise i would have likely done a master in entrepreneurship instead of actually being an entrepreneur.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Earlier this year I completed my PhD. I often tell people it's the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I feel burnt out and bitter and like I wasted a ton of time, energy, and money. I feel like I am so far behind in life because of it.
If you've expanded your knowledge on something relevant in the current world I don't think it was a waste of time at all. And even if the subject you've studied is not business-related, by completing this task you've certainly improved your industriousness, ability to learn, and most importantly: the ability to stick to something long term and not quit. All these are core traits for being successful in business.

Wasting time means doing nothing, engaging in endless entertainment like a sidewalker, or engaging in destructive habits. Academic pursuits will never be a waste of time if you study something useful for the world or meaningful to you.

Don't use this as an excuse for not moving forward. I've made this mistake many times in my life. Any minute spent regretting past decisions is a minute that does not get invested into your future ventures.

Let's get to work.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I will never be found in a 9-5 again. My reasons for pursuing a Ph.D. are strictly:

1. Personal interest
2. Credibility

I'm pursuing a subject I love (even if the system has tried to destroy it over the years).

My business pays for it.

I can't speak to the mindset of going from academia to fastlane because that wasn't my path. Mine was the reverse.

Because I study what I love, I have high motivation and determination and find the coursework fulfilling.

I haven't regretted the choice at all (except maybe at a few points during statistics classes).

One thing I'm learning is that there are more ways to leverage a Ph.D. than I originally realized.

For instance, I've heard that degree programs like mine can lead to careers as an "analyst" but I didn't know what that meant. I assumed it referred to data analysts due to the statistics classes.

Later, I learned there are analysts who specialize in Jungian psychology and their focus is on things like dream interpretation, shadow work, and personalities - much more fascinating areas.

While I wouldn't be caught dead working as a statistician, I could definitely see myself offering dream and personality analysis as a service. That said, statistics are freaking hard and there is probably a way bigger fastlane opportunity hidden there than in areas of Jungian psychology.

So a third area of value in earning a Ph.D. is that you learn about a field at the highest levels, and you get experience in areas of a field that the general population doesn't even know exists.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I paid for a Masters Degree in my mid 30s when I was already self-employed. It was related to the work I did so I was fascinated by the first semester and I was probably the standout student.

In the second semester we had lessons about how to write our dissertation and how to reference other material etc. I can't sit through tedious drivel like that. I lost the will to live and dropped it like a hot snot.

Even my experience at undergrad level wasn't good. I stuck to it and scraped a 2nd class honors degree. It took years to get over the experience of doing tedious stuff for the sake of it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any interest in writing a book? Starting a YTube channel? Doing something in the realm of a personal brand?

If you have a PhD behind your name, "Joan Smith, Phd" people automatically will assign better credibility to your book, your work, and your main argument. While that isn't necessarily true, we live in a world of marketing perceptions and fomented illusions. Culture views your PhD as someone who is more credible than the rest of us. Again, not necessarily true in reality, but true in perception.

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
Hello,

At the same time I do realize that a lot of good has come out of it and I can use the experience moving forward.
I know I decided to pursue the degree and it's up to me to take action to move my life in the direction I want.
l suppose I'm recovering from and in a way grieving about the whole thing. I've been finding it helpful and enlightening to talk to others about their experiences.

I'm wondering if any of you have gotten PhDs and what your experience was like. Did you find yourself in a 9-to-5 after graduation? Was entrepreneurship always your end goal? If not, what was/is your journey like in moving from academia mindsets (of your own and those around you) to the "fastlane" mindset? How has, and/or what from, the PhD experience helped you most in your entrepreneurial journey?

If you don't have a PhD I'd love to hear from you too! Did you ever consider it?

Really just looking for a broad and general discussion and sharing of experiences regarding PhDs (or even Master's or other degrees).
PHD stands for Poor Helpless and Desperate. Basically sounds like you got the mindset you overpaid for. PHDs are often POOR—Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly due to their learned helplessness from their indoctrinated programming.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
PHD stands for Poor Helpless and Desperate. Basically sounds like you got the mindset you overpaid for. PHDs are often POOR—Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly due to their learned helplessness from their indoctrinated programming.
Don't agree with your Robert Kiyosaki take on this. Yes, many PhDs are POOR but I don't think the OP is, the fact she's coming to terms with the PhD & grieving is the proof in the pudding. Many don't even wake up until its too late

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
So I guess that all great mathematicians, scientists and engineers that have built this world are just some confused losers?

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
First off, it is quite an accomplishment, so congratulations.

Secondly, it is a credential, which may turn out to be required or desirable in some of your business endeavours,
and surely has it's weight in how you're perceived, so now that you've got it anyway, don't dismiss it.

Thirdly, I'm sure you learned a lot. I got "only" a college degree. I still did learn a lot.
It helped get my first well paid job, right out of college.

Had lots and lots and lots of fun too.

You're obviously able to achieve your goals, so just set a new goal.

Did you find yourself in a 9-to-5 after graduation? Was entrepreneurship always your end goal?

Yes and yes. I was always set on entrepreneurship and looked at it as a stepping stone.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
first of all, congrats on a truly impressive achievement
secondly, it's okay to take a break, unwind, get a massage, and de-stimulate, unplug for a bit, give yourself permission to do so,
thirdly, seriously, take a break, lol, even if it's just a break from following so many rules

personally, I'm very likely pursuing grad school but still in undergrad, so unfortunately cannot give too much candor on the subject.

I'm sure there's a few advanced degree holders who will be willing to share insights and advices.
again, congrats
best,

ps gonna tag @Lex DeVille here since he's pursuing an advanced degree iirc, maybe he can chime in
Thank you! I really appreciate the congratulations and the reminder that it's okay (and necessary) to take constructive breaks.

What field of study are you pursuing in undergrad?

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Any minute spent regretting past decisions is a minute that does not get invested into your future ventures.
Excellent quote. Gold quote, honestly.

OP, idk all the details of your PhD, but I'm sure you have some highly specialized knowledge that the rest of us don't have... that gives you some serious edge somewhere! Maybe you don't see the need right now? Maybe you need to get out there and start working in the world to find some overlap... But it's out there!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
hi,
Congratulations! Even if the PhD will turn out to not really be valuable for making money you still showed me and the rest of the world that you are capable of doing and sticking to something that is not easy.
Personally i am finishing my bachelor degree this year and after this i will continue with my entrepreneurial journey i am glad i found TMF this early, otherwise i would have likely done a master in entrepreneurship instead of actually being an entrepreneur.
Thank you for the congratulations and your perspective! I'm very flattered by your impression of my capability to stick with difficult things. I have confidence in my abilities, but also I don't... I suppose I need to reflect a bit more on my Imposter Syndrome affliction.

Congratulations to you as well on nearing your graduation! It's really great you found TMF when you did and you seem to be taking action on everything you've learned.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
If you've expanded your knowledge on something relevant in the current world I don't think it was a waste of time at all. And even if the subject you've studied is not business-related, by completing this task you've certainly improved your industriousness, ability to learn, and most importantly: the ability to stick to something long term and not quit. All these are core traits for being successful in business.

Wasting time means doing nothing, engaging in endless entertainment like a sidewalker, or engaging in destructive habits. Academic pursuits will never be a waste of time if you study something useful for the world or meaningful to you.

Don't use this as an excuse for not moving forward. I've made this mistake many times in my life. Any minute spent regretting past decisions is a minute that does not get invested into your future ventures.

Let's get to work.
Thank you for your insightful and motivating reply! My PhD is in Geophysics (MS Geophysics, BS Physics), so definitely not business-related. I think a large part of why I feel so behind is because I haven't yet learned which skills I've gained in my science career carry over to the business world. So, thank you for pointing out that I am likely not as far behind as I have been feeling.

You're absolutely right. I don't need to use all of my PhD moving forward and I shouldn't (won't) let the pieces I leave behind hold me back. I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret my PhD. At the moment I just feel like the cons outweigh the pros. I personally find it valuable and helpful to work through negative emotions until I have a strong understanding of what I'm feeling and why before fully moving forward. I guess a more concise way to say it is that I allow myself the time and space to feel [negative emotion], but I do not allow myself to get stuck in [negative emotion].

Thanks again. You've helped me take another step forward. No wasting minutes here.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I will never be found in a 9-5 again. My reasons for pursuing a Ph.D. are strictly:

1. Personal interest
2. Credibility

I'm pursuing a subject I love (even if the system has tried to destroy it over the years).

My business pays for it.

I can't speak to the mindset of going from academia to fastlane because that wasn't my path. Mine was the reverse.

Because I study what I love, I have high motivation and determination and find the coursework fulfilling.

I haven't regretted the choice at all (except maybe at a few points during statistics classes).

One thing I'm learning is that there are more ways to leverage a Ph.D. than I originally realized.

For instance, I've heard that degree programs like mine can lead to careers as an "analyst" but I didn't know what that meant. I assumed it referred to data analysts due to the statistics classes.

Later, I learned there are analysts who specialize in Jungian psychology and their focus is on things like dream interpretation, shadow work, and personalities - much more fascinating areas.

While I wouldn't be caught dead working as a statistician, I could definitely see myself offering dream and personality analysis as a service. That said, statistics are freaking hard and there is probably a way bigger fastlane opportunity hidden there than in areas of Jungian psychology.

So a third area of value in earning a Ph.D. is that you learn about a field at the highest levels, and you get experience in areas of a field that the general population doesn't even know exists.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread! A lot of what you said really resonates with me.

I definitely know what you mean by the system trying to ruin your love for a subject.

Looking back, I wish I would have done it the way you did - get in the fastlane then pursue a PhD. In my experience that's not really taught as an option. Or did I miss the memo? Do you find yourself surrounded by more people on a path like mine or on a path like yours? I'm pretty introverted, so perhaps I just didn't talk to enough people, but I was under the impression that everyone else I knew (except for maybe one person) was on the PhD to slowlane path.

I'm happy to hear that you're finding a PhD to be more useful than you originally thought! There must also be more ways for me to leverage mine than I'm currently seeing.

I think one of my biggest challenges at the moment is figuring out what knowledge/skills from my PhD and what application of said knowledge/skills will best provide value to society. The connection you made between statistics and Jungian psychology is super interesting. While I'm sure a lot of individuals would be interested in such an analysis service, I could see businesses having a need for it as well. (And I agree, statistics are freaking hard. I barely passed that class in undergrad - can't even imagine it at a graduate level.)

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I paid for a Masters Degree in my mid 30s when I was already self-employed. It was related to the work I did so I was fascinated by the first semester and I was probably the standout student.

In the second semester we had lessons about how to write our dissertation and how to reference other material etc. I can't sit through tedious drivel like that. I lost the will to live and dropped it like a hot snot.

Even my experience at undergrad level wasn't good. I stuck to it and scraped a 2nd class honors degree. It took years to get over the experience of doing tedious stuff for the sake of it.
Thanks for sharing your story! I'm starting to really wonder if what I have is determination/dedication or extreme stubbornness. There were so so so many times I wanted to rage quit my PhD, but I never did. Maybe it was out of fear. I didn't know what else I'd do to support myself (I had paid research assistantships and internships). I also always felt an external stigma around quitting, though I always admire those who quit to do what's best for them.

Amerstain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 3, 2022
belgium, leuven
Hello,

Personally, i started a bachelor in biochemistry right after high school. I was sure to succeed it, i just knew because of the tempo i was able to cover material in. However, stuff happened, and my whole study got disrupted. I failed all exams, and after that, i failed everything in the second semester too. The thing was, idk from what, but after failing after giving my all to these exams, i felt like something was completely crushed inside of me. I just couldn't study anymore for some reason. But i didn't know any other route, do after that failed year? I started another in the hopes of "i will get above this" this time it was chemistry. I failed the first semester. Couldn't study. After that, i knew i had to change. Having wasted 2 years, i felt regret, like something was wrong with me. It was then that i slowly started to find this path, and i chose it to it's full extent. I have no progress to my name yet in terms of making money, but if i would have anything to day to you it's this: i would have never come to this point without failing my bachelor. And for you, that "failing" is completing that PhD in 1 way, ig. Even though you might be able to build a business with it, i don't know. Be grateful for finding the path in the first place. Most don't. Peace.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Any interest in writing a book? Starting a YTube channel? Doing something in the realm of a personal brand?

If you have a PhD behind your name, "Joan Smith, Phd" people automatically will assign better credibility to your book, your work, and your main argument. While that isn't necessarily true, we live in a world of marketing perceptions and fomented illusions. Culture views your PhD as someone who is more credible than the rest of us. Again, not necessarily true in reality, but true in perception.
Thanks for your suggestions/ideas and insight!

Yes, actually, I have been thinking about writing a book. I've started a rough outline and jotting down some sentences; and engaging in some thought provoking discussions. I'm still working on convincing myself to go full in though (Is this actually something of value? Will anyone even read this?).
What exactly do you mean by realm of a personal brand?

That is so true. I've definitely been disillusioned with some of the PhD holders I've met.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
First off, it is quite an accomplishment, so congratulations.

Secondly, it is a credential, which may turn out to be required or desirable in some of your business endeavours,
and surely has it's weight in how you're perceived, so now that you've got it anyway, don't dismiss it.

Thirdly, I'm sure you learned a lot. I got "only" a college degree. I still did learn a lot.
It helped get my first well paid job, right out of college.

Had lots and lots and lots of fun too.

You're obviously able to achieve your goals, so just set a new goal.

Yes and yes. I was always set on entrepreneurship and looked at it as a stepping stone.
Thank you :)

Honestly, I believe I earned my PhD more than I believe I earned my BS. I look at my BS diploma and wonder how the heck I came to have it. So, in my eyes, it's not "only" a college degree - it's hard earned knowledge.

For sure I learned a great deal. Not just about the science, but about so much else and myself. Through the PhD I've been to some cool places and met a lot of wonderful people.

Thanks again. You've helped me to remember that I set out to earn the PhD, I did that, so now I need to set my next goal and go get that one too. I think it will help me a great deal to think of the PhD as a stepping stone, as my previous goal and not the end goal. For a long while it was the end goal, so it's taking me a little while to accept and adapt to the change.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Personally, i started a bachelor in biochemistry right after high school. I was sure to succeed it, i just knew because of the tempo i was able to cover material in. However, stuff happened, and my whole study got disrupted. I failed all exams, and after that, i failed everything in the second semester too. The thing was, idk from what, but after failing after giving my all to these exams, i felt like something was completely crushed inside of me. I just couldn't study anymore for some reason. But i didn't know any other route, do after that failed year? I started another in the hopes of "i will get above this" this time it was chemistry. I failed the first semester. Couldn't study. After that, i knew i had to change. Having wasted 2 years, i felt regret, like something was wrong with me. It was then that i slowly started to find this path, and i chose it to it's full extent. I have no progress to my name yet in terms of making money, but if i would have anything to day to you it's this: i would have never come to this point without failing my bachelor. And for you, that "failing" is completing that PhD in 1 way, ig. Even though you might be able to build a business with it, i don't know. Be grateful for finding the path in the first place. Most don't. Peace.
Thank you for sharing your story! My undergraduate experience has some similarities to yours. I did my Bachelor's in physics. I had a really rough first semester; I failed the entry physics class. My next semester wasn't much better. I started to reconsider my choice of subject. I was doing well in chemistry, but I hated it (I have a better appreciation for it these days though!). I decided that I loved physics and I was going to tackle my test anxiety, study better, etc., whatever I needed to, to earn the degree. I also didn't know any other route, so I think that played a huge role in me sticking with it.

So, I really admire you for changing course without knowing what exactly your new course would be. I know it doesn't do much good to dwell on past "what ifs," but for just a moment I wonder what I actually would have done if I had decided college wasn't for me. Thanks for reminding me that great lessons come from failing and that there's always a way forward. I wish you good luck and good fortune on your journey!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
As long as you didnt do a phd in womens studies or underwater basketweaving (any of those social sciences) i think you are golden.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I feel like I am so far behind in life because of it.
I wouldn’t concern yourself with this.

I would say this is a feeling that the majority of people feel at some point in their life. It’s an irrational fear that keeps most complacent and afraid to step out and try something that might fail because they might “fall behind.”

As long as you’re taking care of yourself and your family, if you have one, and living a life YOU can justify, who cares how you stack up compared to others? It is no one else’s business how or what you’re doing, just make sure that you’re satisfied with what you’re working on and the honest potential that it has.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Hello,

I've done stuff more stupid :rofl:

Jokes aside, congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

The most important thing in business is GRIT. You have it. You cannot complete a PHD without it. If you ask me, you are ahead of 99% of the population by having the combination of PHD and being here.

What do I mean by that? No one can live parallel lives, it's impossible. This means you will never know what your "alternative life" would look like if you instead started a business. You may think you'd be successful, you can't know that for sure. Think of book classics, some we read in school because it is mandatory, but when we read them again as adults we get a totally different experience.

How does this apply to business? Your ability to research and connect various concepts through your PHD experience is likely a gold mine. How can you tap into that? With this you may see what others miss, a solution to a problem most can't solve. That can be worth 9 figures one day and if you were a high-school drop out starting in small business might never get there.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States

You have gotten a PhD in Geophysics, which is no easy feat. So congrats on that.
I went for an MBA, not for 9-5 reasons (haven't had a 9-5 in nearly 10 years). I took that path for two reasons:

1. For personal academic goals, and a personal interest in the subject matter. As someone who had started several businesses before going to business school, I wanted business insight from a traditional angle as well.
I believe a combination of real world business experience and a structured understanding of business principles offers a well-rounded perspective.

2. Credibility: As several people have mentioned, verifiable "credibility" is important in the world we live in. Whether you subscribe to it, or not. It shouldn't be a matter of "keeping up with the Joneses," but a matter of having some grip on what you choose to speak of, or engage.

I have considered a PhD, but at this time, I don't see how it benefits me. I highly doubt I would pursue one, but you never know.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My PhD is in Geophysics (MS Geophysics, BS Physics)

Wow, impressive. I get anxiety just thinking about the coursework involved.

So, are you like super good at Calculus, Trig, and other "tear your hair out" hard mathematics?

Some threads here that might be interesting to ya...

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I wouldn’t concern yourself with this.

I would say this is a feeling that the majority of people feel at some point in their life. It’s an irrational fear that keeps most complacent and afraid to step out and try something that might fail because they might “fall behind.”

As long as you’re taking care of yourself and your family, if you have one, and living a life YOU can justify, who cares how you stack up compared to others? It is no one else’s business how or what you’re doing, just make sure that you’re satisfied with what you’re working on and the honest potential that it has.
Thanks for your input! I hadn't really considered that there are other possible paths I could take or could have taken that would make me feel as though I have fallen behind. And you're right, I shouldn't keep focusing on the amount of time I spent in school but I should rather focus on living the life I want moving forward.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I've done stuff more stupid :rofl:

Jokes aside, congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

The most important thing in business is GRIT. You have it. You cannot complete a PHD without it. If you ask me, you are ahead of 99% of the population by having the combination of PHD and being here.

What do I mean by that? No one can live parallel lives, it's impossible. This means you will never know what your "alternative life" would look like if you instead started a business. You may think you'd be successful, you can't know that for sure. Think of book classics, some we read in school because it is mandatory, but when we read them again as adults we get a totally different experience.

How does this apply to business? Your ability to research and connect various concepts through your PHD experience is likely a gold mine. How can you tap into that? With this you may see what others miss, a solution to a problem most can't solve. That can be worth 9 figures one day and if you were a high-school drop out starting in small business might never get there.
lol I'm glad you survived the more stupid stuff you've done.

Thank you! That's true - I could have taken a different path and still ended up feeling things similar to what I'm feeling now. I'll never know, and it doesn't really serve me to think about the "what ifs." I've been focusing too much on feeling behind in fastlane thinking, when I should be thinking more about (and applying) what my experience has given me that will be useful as I become more familiar with entrepreneurship.

I do love to research things. Outside of my degree I've researched various things to apply to my own life. I just need to figure out how to apply my skills to things that others value and care about.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Wow, impressive. I get anxiety just thinking about the coursework involved.

So, are you like super good at Calculus, Trig, and other "tear your hair out" hard mathematics?

Some threads here that might be interesting to ya...

The coursework gave me anxiety too.
Unfortunately, I would not say I'm super good at hard mathematics. I'd probably rate myself as a solid B.
Thanks for pointing me to those threads! I'll check them out.

Edit: I checked them out. Turns out I'm actually probably a better artist than I am a mathematician. I just always viewed art as a hobby rather than something I'd market. Also, the threads have provoked my thoughts. Down many rabbit holes I go..

Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Most people will always assume that you're smart because you have a PhD, even if your field of study was irrelevant to the particular undertaking. It will open doors for you that you wouldn't expect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.