The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can a $2 tool help make you a millionaire?

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Haha okay;

1. Writing is part of the learning process. If it wasn't for you then I feel bad. Most if not all, were writing before typing giving its prominence. Regardless, you are flawed in what you say because this thread is about using something physical for organization, not something mental. So no I was not supporting verbal; I'm staying on topic here.

2. You're still limited to what you do. Also, I can guarantee your notes can always be taken much faster on a notepad. Time is money.

3. Notepad will always be more reliable. Many more things can go wrong with electronics. While they are reliable by today's standards, you're still limited.

Now I'm not saying this wunderpad is dumb by any means. If its better for you then by all means use it. For some it may truly be the best.

However it by no means has put out a simple pen and paper. Not even close.

I'm actually interested in the result of this,

1. But that doesn't actually mean anything. It doesn't matter if you learned to write with a pencil. besides, inschool nowadays I would say 90%+ papers are typed.

2. Thats false though. Try it yourself. Ask anyone who grew up with smart phones and they will tell you they can write 5 times faster typing on a iphone than writing. besides, you can use speech, which is extremely accurate nowadays and maybe 50x faster than writing.

3. Many things can go wrong with electronics? paper isnt strong or anything. besides, this point is just a strength for enotes.

its all in the cloud. if your notepad gets lost, or burned, or destroyed, its gone for good.

with wunderlist or evernote, my iphone can be destroyed, my laptop can be destroyed, my pc can be destroyed and STILL my stuff is perfectly ok. all I need to do is log in on a new computer/phone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
Im sorry but no matter what you say about electronic note taking, there is just something about being able to take a blank piece of paper and write all over it, scribble, draw diagrams, sketches, etc. etc.

I've filled up dozens of notepads throughout the years from my college days, to my first business, to my current business, to my everyday tasks. They are organized in file cabinets, some in legal boxes that I have stored in my closet. The experience of opening up these file cabinets and looking through them, to see firsthand my thought processes, to see how my ideas have evolved, how my sketching ability has changed, to even how my handwriting has changed - there is something to be cherished here, something of sentimental value almost. You can get lost in it.

It's like books and e readers. I've read close to a hundred books on my kindle. My physical library holds even more books. If I like a book enough I'll buy the physical version just to add it to my physical library.

At the end of the day the convenience of electronic note taking systems does not directly translate to effectiveness - not for me, and certainly not for everyone else.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Im sorry but no matter what you say about electronic note taking, there is just something about being able to take a blank piece of paper and write all over it, scribble, draw diagrams, sketches, etc. etc.

I've filled up dozens of notepads throughout the years from my college days, to my first business, to my current business, to my everyday tasks. They are organized in file cabinets, some in legal boxes that I have stored in my closet. The experience of opening up these file cabinets and looking through them, to see firsthand my thought processes, to see how my ideas have evolved, how my sketching ability has changed, to even how my handwriting has changed - there is something to be cherished here, something of sentimental value almost. You can get lost in it.

It's like books and e readers. I've read close to a hundred books on my kindle. My physical library holds even more books. If I like a book enough I'll buy the physical version just to add it to my physical library.

At the end of the day the convenience of electronic note taking systems does not directly translate to effectiveness - not for me, and certainly not for everyone else.

Oh well, i am not convinced. You can get handwriting on tablets and scribble all over it.

Its the way of the future. If Napoleon were alive today, he would say "get me evernote"

and its free! $0 > $2

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I have always used notebooks for notes, self education, goals, fitness goals, to do lists, etc.

I would like to add that this forum has a feature that is quite valuable in terms of note taking. Whenever I see a post that I know will help me now or in the future, I hit the thanks/like button. I can then go into my control panel and refer back to the posts that I have liked in the past. I have a treasure chest of compiled information right on this forum, and I never picked up a pen to gather any of it.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I'm also a huge fan of handwriting notes. I used legal pads for years until I somehow found myself using leather bound journals 8 or 10 years ago. I like the lined 240 page 5×8. I hand create my weekly calendar pages, and leave blank pages between each week for journal entries, brainstorming, ideas, info capture etc. Other sections of the book keep various to do lists, reference notes, reading notes, project plans, and whatever else strikes my fancy :).

For me, paper is instant. My book lays open in front of me all day, and goes into my bag for access anywhere. It easy to jot down a diagram, phrase, phone # etc. I can write sideways, circle things, underline, cross out, highlight, and so on without having to first find a menu or icon and click on it. Or bitch about the design, a lack of, a feature.

On the computer I use a digital legal pad in the form of One Note. My default template is a yellow lined page. I Write on it with a digital pen in black ink. I use it to annotate web pages, receipts, pdfs and so on. I also write article and book drafts there. The handwriting is searchable but when needed I simply have ON convert it to text for use in the typed world.

Digital to do apps often feel too much like filling out a form. I'm also not "always on" or "always connected" so there is time loss and distraction potential when I try to catch it all digitally.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I've started using a legal pad this week after reading this thread. Writing down things to do, crossing them off and rewriting the undone items on the next page. Productivity has gone up a lot, it's such a good feeling to cross things off a list, to have everything written down and work off one by one. Love it!

G

Guest428

I've been using a notebook which I can flip back to the previous days to organize thoughts, tasks and notes.

I've been using google calendar to sync up with my phone to keep my schedule detailed and organized.

I also think a huge resource for me has been Google Drive and Dropbox which can keep notes, schedules and any documentation stored and accessible.

I definitely think writing notes and keeping things organized is the way to go. Thanks for the tip on the legal pad though, I really like how it was divided into three sections. I will incorporate that for a test drive for a few days and see if I like it more than what I am doing now.

Berters

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 20, 2013
UK
And for those of us who rely too much on technology, there is Wunderlist - https://www.wunderlist.com/en/

I use it on my iPhone and iPad throughout the day and then look over everything on my computer. Really good way to sort lists and also share them with others who can contribute.

I still use a notepad on my desk though for the really important shit that needs doing!!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I have boxes of composition books :) I started off with legal pads at work years ago (both of my best bosses that I learned the most from had legal pads always) I switched to comp books after finding after years of wear pages would start coming loose at the perforated top :( comp books store easier and better and no worrying about the pages ;)

everything I do I have a comp book for :) I never ever throw them away or rip out pages. I have them for the household budget and bills, trading, business, house searching, and the kids schooling :) my kids both have their own(for school and personal)

While they text and use computers and everything daily, when they want to write something out or think something though they turn to pencil and paper :D It is very satisfying to find pieces of paper with their ideas and inventions and financial plans randomly laying around the house ;)

I know technology has its benefits and most of todays generation can type faster then they can write but I feel as though it is still very important to be able to write with a certain proficiency.

everything I have to write that is of any importance is always done by hand and edited and perfected by hand first then either scanned in or copied into digital format ;)

I am happy to say My kids are learning to do the same. one should never rely on a technology too heavily. it should be used as one of many tools and disciplines :)

S

stranger

You spend your time on writing things you have to do.:smoking:
I know many people who take notes and they aren't Millionaires.:headbanger:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I love this, and I 100% agree with it. I love legal pads/journals, I have hundreds of them sitting under my desk right now, that are filled with stock tips for myself, trading strategies, to do lists, goals, ideas, businesses....etc. Everything I have written on the legal pads could just as easily be written in a Word Document or in the note section of my phone or iPad, but I still really prefer to write it on paper rather than on a computer or something. It feels more "official" that way

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Does a legal pad really cost $2 now days? I'm out of touch.

As pedantic as this sounds, the slightly more expensive legal pads are much better for writing (the pen moves more smoothly on the page).

The few extra dollars are well worth it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
As pedantic as this sounds, the slightly more expensive legal pads are much better for writing (the pen moves more smoothly on the page).

The few extra dollars are well worth it.

pe·dan·tic
pəˈdantik/
adjective
adjective: pedantic
of or like a pedant.
"many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"
synonyms:eek:verscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, perfectionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finicky

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I had to post here. as I said earlier I do everything on paper. and I mean everything. I have started duplicating things electronically to attempt to use more technology but I always find myself back to a pen and paper. (my trusty purple ink pen ;) )

someone told me that I need to get everything I have been working on into electronic format and get it into one place online... which I did. then they gave me a task. instead of working on it on my laptop I am using my laptop and writing down everything on my notebook! I have printed out pages that are an outline and I can only do anything productive with it by scribbling all over it in ink... then I can rewrite it on paper a few times and then and only then can I put it into electronic format. LOL

I feel like a dinosaur! I just cant get my stuff out of my head while trying to use technology. its a definite barrier for me. I definitely see benefits of doing it my way though as much as I see my limitations. had I been able to use the computer instead of physically holding and making things I wouldn't have seen design issues until it was made into something physical. so it saved me a few steps. however on tasks like this I cant help but wonder if I had the ability to use the technology would I be better off or worse off then I am right now?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I have an iPad case with a paper notebook on the other side. It works very well for presentations and any type of meeting.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
as I was doing more drafts of my project (scribbled all over paper) it occurred to me a few more reasons why I love the pen and paper over my phone or laptop...

1. I am a horrible speller. I hate those little red squiggily lines like just came under squiggly.

2. I hate even more on my phone when it suggests other words. words that aren't even words... or words that are words but not what I am trying to say and then it turns it into autocorrect hilarity...

3. I always no matter how fast I type can write faster.

4. I don't think in straight lines. I hop all over on my papers. I could hand you papers of mine and you would not be able to decipher info from it without my help :p yet I know instantly by looking at it what it is and what it says by only seeing a small portion...

5. I can take that small portion and can continue on a specific train of thought on a new page :) in the same hop all over craziness.

I am sure there are so many more :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love my moleskine(s). I have a larger one that sits on my desk when I work from home, and a smaller one that I carry around when I'm on client sites. It sits nice and neat in my suit jacket. I also treat myself to a reasonably nice pen.

It's wierd. Just paying €15 for a pen and €15 for a notebook makes me feel like a million dollars. I also know exactly where they are, and don't have loads of cheap notebooks and pens lying around anymore... where I've only used the first page.

I type way quicker than I write, but your best work is NOT done at a computer. The computer is for executing, not for thinking. Justin Jackson wrote about it here.

Case in point... I meant to type up an outline for a course for AdWords newbies. After 2 months of not typing it up, I went to a cafe with my mini moleskin and had it written in 20 mins:

hA3KXuQ.jpg

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
EDIT: I am finding that a good way to capture knowledge and ideas is to post into a forum, and keep a master page that organises them. ;)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Went to buy a new notebook today, had an idea then looked it up. I found this.
Pocket Briefcase
Looks awesome! I would love to be able to carry a notebook in my back pocket when I'm out and about instead of leaving it in the car.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Have to admit I've always had something of a notebook addict and forever writing notes on one topic or another. I totally agree with MJ and the Lifehacker article about the value of writing things out. I learnt a lot from copywriting courses i've taken, but the most value was from finding great copy and writing it down. I move at 100mph normally and type darn quickly. This slowed me down and really made me notice what made a piece work.

I've been trying out the variations on the Bullet Journal of late and while it's closer to what I'm after, I have to admit the combining of calendar and note taking in one isn't really working for me. The two quickly get separated and I end up with all notes and not action. Guess who went out and bought four new pads and is drawing lines a 1/3rd of the way down today!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I love my moleskine(s). I have a larger one that sits on my desk when I work from home, and a smaller one that I carry around when I'm on client sites. It sits nice and neat in my suit jacket. I also treat myself to a reasonably nice pen.

It's wierd. Just paying €15 for a pen and €15 for a notebook makes me feel like a million dollars. I also know exactly where they are, and don't have loads of cheap notebooks and pens lying around anymore... where I've only used the first page.

I type way quicker than I write, but your best work is NOT done at a computer. The computer is for executing, not for thinking. Justin Jackson wrote about it here.

Case in point... I meant to type up an outline for a course for AdWords newbies. After 2 months of not typing it up, I went to a cafe with my mini moleskin and had it written in 20 mins:

hA3KXuQ.jpg

Amen to that. Love Moleskines. And I am known to just buy notebooks just because of their pretty covers. I was a much better notebook-thinker a few years ago, now I kind of struggle not making the notes but actually GOING BACK to them, and referencing them. Anyway...there is something about the quality of the Moleskines and the type of paper I really like. I always use their planners as well and their watercolor notebooks..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One quick point of clarification on the legal pad list.

As I was jotting some notes today on this, I realized I forgot to mention :

Don't write down anything on the legal pad you could immediately take care of.

For example, don't write down on the To Do list :

"Email @MJ DeMarco and tell him how his book changed your life"

Just do it. If it is something you could knock out effortlessly and immediately, don't write it down. Just do it.

"Call Mom Wednesday and wish her Happy Birthday" is OK (although I would put that in Google Calendar and not on my legal pad.)

However, if it is a phone call, email, or calendar reminder you could do immediately, take caution to do the things you can do now, and only record the objectives that can't be remedied in the same amount of time it might take you to write them down.

Don't let the legal pad become a source of procrastination. Force it to be the opposite.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
No doubt writing things down has its affect on you. I just don't trust myself to carry a notepad around with me. I lost a moleskin notebook with my detailed notes in another country (I forgot to pack it), and didn't get till a year later!

Evernote is good, but I use it for just the web clipper, to keep a copy of pages that I read, or want to read later - like a store bin of reading / reference material (hey you never know when a website is going to close or change the pages or content).

But lately, I use https://workflowy.com/ - which is basically a list taker, that is FAST! The more you use it... you'll see why this is really good.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
This concept definitely works as proven by many, but I'm not one to believe there is some advantage to writing on a paper wjth a pencil. It doesn't work for me . I use my phone and I've met successful people who use their phone also to stay on track.

The key is not in the notepad but just having a consistent way to track your goals and whatever notes you need for the day. Some people started off doing it with a Physical note pad so they feel comfortable sticking to that which is fine.

H Dog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 8, 2015
This is a top tip.

Working in sales I was always told to carry a pen and paper to write down needs etc (to sell back to), and at first I hated it.

But you're right, after a while it becomes not just a tool to remember things, but a psychological tool to show efficiency, power, and respect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.