The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a PPC consultancy/agency.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
My aim is to build a PPC management consultancy/agency in a particular niche I have my eyes on. This should permit much more flexibility and capital to facilitate my real fastlane ideas.

Follow along as I post intermittently to show my progress toward the fastlane. I'll try to be as detailed as possible in case it helps anyone out, but please don't ask about my niche.

My current situation: I work full-time for an advertising agency as a product description copywriter. I'm paid $1500 monthly which is enough to cover the bills where I live. More importantly, I get to work on my own time save for a single coordination call every morning. Apart form that, as long as I get the work done, they're happy. That leaves me with some free time and enough energy to build this consultancy/agency.

Next 3 milestones:
  1. Finish PPC SOPs
  2. Get a PPC management position in an agency where I can work a few months and build a portfolio fast
  3. Start marketing

Current milestone: Finish PPC SOPs

Today's step: Learn PPC reporting for each ad type

Misc notes: With regard to the 3rd milestone above, I'm doing a few things in advance so I'll have something in place for when it's time to start marketing. I do side jobs for clients via Upwork, so that's one source of interacting with prospects. I also just launched a Fiverr account at the start of the month; although it's far more competitive and freelancers there seem to charge a lot less, it's still access to clients which is welcomed. I'll do more selective filtering later when I'm dealing with much larger numbers of prospects (fingers crossed). I only recently realized that Fiverr added an advertising option to promote your gig. Hopefully this system works well, and if so, I can use my knowledge of paid advertising and my copywriting skills to give myself a good chance. Thirdly, I just launched a simple landing page site and I'm drawing traffic to it via Google ads. Very close to breakeven so I'm working for little profit, but I'm still interacting with new clients, gaining PPC knowledge etc. Hopefully, across these three avenues, I'll keep doing copywriting work to get a foot in the door and build relationships with prospects, then I can offer PPC as a cross-sell.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
I'll use the below template to track my month to month income. I'll update it at the end of May.

Month Year income:
Job:
Fiverr:
Upwork:

*NB. When I get clients via my website, I direct them to my Fiverr/Upwork to do the payment there, so by logging Upwork and Fiverr above, it captures my website earnings too.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Watch list:
EXECUTION - Figuring Out Twitter

Inspiration:

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh. I thought I'd replied when you originally posted, but it seems to have gone astray.

Following.

I presume by PPC you mean paid search?

How many PPC clients do you have?

You wrote this:

Next 3 milestones:
  1. Finish PPC SOPs
  2. Get a PPC management position in an agency where I can work a few months and build a portfolio fast
  3. Start marketing

I'd do it in reverse?
  1. Start marketing
  3. Finish PPC SOPs

Ha. Thanks. I'm figuring it out as I go along.

EDIT: I just realised this is another thread. I replied to the INSIDERS one.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Oh. I thought I'd replied when you originally posted, but it seems to have gone astray.

Following.

I presume by PPC you mean paid search?

How many PPC clients do you have?

You wrote this:

Next 3 milestones:
  1. Finish PPC SOPs
  3. Start marketing

I'd do it in reverse?
  1. Start marketing
  3. Finish PPC SOPs

Ha. Thanks. I'm figuring it out as I go along.

EDIT: I just realised this is another thread. I replied to the INSIDERS one.
@Andy Black Thanks for the reply!

I tried deleting that thread and I thought it would be better to track this on the outside.

2 & 3 will probably be simultaneous. 1 really means that I'm still learning. I understand the big picture and the math, but I'm still working out the actual how to's.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black Thanks for the reply!

I tried deleting that thread and I thought it would be better to track this on the outside.

2 & 3 will probably be simultaneous. 1 really means that I'm still learning. I understand the big picture and the math, but I'm still working out the actual how to's.
Get a free client, even a friend or family member. Run the ads. Best way to learn.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Next 4 milestones:
  1. Get a client
  2. Finish PPC SOPs
  3. Get a PPC management position in an agency where I can work a few months and build a portfolio fast
  4. Start full-scale marketing
Current milestone: Get a client. Finish PPC SOPs

Today's steps:
-Ask P- if he still needs help with PPC management.
-Download all report types to see what metrics they have, and which reports make sense.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Next 4 milestones:
  1. Get a client
  2. Finish PPC SOPs
  3. Get a PPC management position in an agency where I can work a few months and build a portfolio fast
  4. Start full-scale marketing
Current milestone: Get a client. Finish PPC SOPs

Today's steps:
-Ask P- if he still needs help with PPC management.
-Download all report types to see what metrics they have, and which reports make sense.
Get a client.

I'd say to not worry about SOPs. Processes evolve over time and are polished by repetition. Don't automate/document till you've done it by hand enough times to know what to automate/document.

I'd also consider NOT downloading report types to see what metrics they have, unless you have clients with data and you're trying to solve a particular problem that client has. Otherwise I fear you're learning for the sake of learning.

Focus on getting clients.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Nice work on getting started.

Get 2-3 clients. You'll soon find out if you like or loathe handling clients.

Don't underestimate the people-side of running an agency. Handling questions, angry clients phoning you, managing expectations. I underestimated this and ultimately found out that I don't actually want to run an agency.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
@Andy Black
@maverick

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. Part of my emphasis on getting my SOPs in order is that I have a relationship with a consultant that's looking for someone to take over his PPC management to some degree (Amazon, not Google, but they're close enough anyway.) Still a super valid point that those SOPs will likely undergo lots of refinement once I actually start handling accounts. I just want to show that I've done my homework and that I know how to navigate Campaign manager, Advertising vocabulary etc. I'm almost finished and ready to pull the trigger though. Just about 2-3 more days then it's client time 100%. I'm going to follow up now on a warm lead to see if he still wants help with his advertising, so hopefully it translates to my first client.

"I'd also consider NOT downloading report types to see what metrics they have"
Amazon advertising has about 24 types of reports and 4 types of campaigns...I just wanted to figure out which reports will have the appropriate metrics for me to work out the math that I'd need to. Took a shortcut today by conferring with one of my mentors. Told him the metrics I need, and he pointed me to the needed reports for those metrics for each type of campaign.

"Don't underestimate the people-side of running an agency."

I think I already am. I'll try to cross those bridges when I get there.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
No response on the above yet.

In the interim, sent out 3 Upwork proposals.

Tomorrow I'll contact former clients for whom I did listing copy and ask if they need help with PPC.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
May 2021 income:
Job: $1500
Fiverr: $190
Upwork: $917

Total: $2607

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Next milestones:
1-Get 1 client @ $250 monthly or even free
2-Work on website while I prospect

Key behaviors for milestone 1:
At 6pm, send out proposals to PPC jobs on Upwork
After sending proposals, help 1-3 people in FB groups

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Good job on the revenue. Do you have any results you can show/share? And are you just going for google ads jobs? Or wider performance marketing?

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
@maverick Thanks! I'm trying to get into Amazon advertising actually, not Google ads. The revenue above are not from Amazon ad jobs, but Amazon Listing Optimization jobs (copywriting.) I plan to continue writing copy as a potential foot in the door to cross-sell PPC.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Applied to a PPC job...have an interview on Tuesday and I passed the screening test (which had some PPC specific/technical questions.) Nervous, but excited!

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Update. Landed a PPC management job at a really huge agency. I was straightforward about my lack of hands on experience, but I shared my thinking about paid advertising etc and they were impressed. Training starts Monday.

If all goes well, I might be managing up to 10 brands!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.