The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BRO-MARKETING! (Great Copy Selling Crap Products)

Marketing, social media, advertising

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Do you guys agree there are "good" forms of bro marketing?

I mean I have paid courses which gave tons of value (over delivered) that helped alot. Or there are some packages which give you what they said basically lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you guys agree there are "good" forms of bro marketing?

Yes, but then it wouldn't be called "bro-marketing" -- it just be marketing.

The problem is when bro-marketing pushes shit products.

BRO = Boiler Room Operation.

Excellent marketing, persuasion, but worthless stocks. (In this case, worthless products are sold.)

It becomes "BRO", when your marketing is your business, not your product.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Oh the irony of Andrew posting here..
giphy.gif

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Still wrapping my head around bro marketing. I’m currently starting an infoproduct business and really really don‘t want to fall into that trap (not selling people how to make money...)

Which measurement(s) do you use to judge a crap product? If it actually helps people get the results they bought? But what if you could get those same results for one tenth of the price somewhere else? Hm....

I went back and read some of the copy of a, I suppose, bro marketer, and I really think that I‘m one of the few selected to be granted access into his course...

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Still wrapping my head around bro marketing. I’m currently starting an infoproduct business and really really don‘t want to fall into that trap (not selling people how to make money...)

Which measurement(s) do you use to judge a crap product? If it actually helps people get the results they bought? But what if you could get those same results for one tenth of the price somewhere else? Hm....

I went back and read some of the copy of a, I suppose, bro marketer, and I really think that I‘m one of the few selected to be granted access into his course...
Any Bro Marketer will "select" you and "grant you access" to his overpriced course if you have a pulse and can pay.

Walter

Walter.LV

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 21, 2018
Latvia
I guess most of the "aspiring entrepreneurs" have fallen for the bro-marketer at least once in their careers.

I've bought my fair share of b.s. info products and scammy "business systems."

After a while, though you learn to recognize the patterns. Bro marketers are similar in the way they operate their schemes.

Here are some tips to less experienced guys on how to recognize a BRO and not fall for their b.s.

1. They're usually peddling "business systems", "5-step blueprints", "Latest and greatest online marketing strategies."
2. They use super persuasive copy (probably studied Gary Halbert for years.) They're master pitchmen. They're heavy on scarcity, urgency, bold claims, testimonials and fake proof of all kinds.
3. Their sob story usually goes like this "I remember when I had $3 in my bank account, but then finally decided to change because I couldn't take the pain anymore. Once I committed 100%, I landed on this huge opportunity that I don't want you to miss out on." Then they go on to explain their newest "system, strategy or some made up name"
4. Their "system" usually has a clever and super catchy name. Think "funnel hacking", "67- step program" e.t.c.
5. Their presentations are so well-thought out that during the close you'll feel this strong urge to buy or, in other words, the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO)
6. Super strong USP (Unique Value Proposition.) They've usually researched the market and know the exact pain points of their audiences, so their USP is super compelling.
7. Flashy cars, Rolexes, "the good life", hot looking women.
8. Not a whole lot of value upfront (in terms of free content.) Usually always pushing a strong CTA - "If you'd like to learn more, click this link and sign-up for my free webinar where I'll pull back the curtain on my "...System"
9. For some reason, they love "Secrets"

Btw, good luck on researching their real reputation. If you'll google "is name legit?" or "Name scam." You'll likely land on an article that goes on to explain how this BRO-marketer is a scam and con artist, but... at the end of the article, you'll see an affiliate link with their product. Go figure.

Anyways, buying $10-$20 books on the subject you're interested in will get you an exponentially bigger ROI than a $997 - $2997 course ever can. Just do the math. How many business books can you buy for $997? I'm guessing most of the best marketing books on Amazon. That's a whole library of "secrets."

Hope this helps.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I abhor Bro Marketing, having seen numerous people lose their hard earned money while making someone else rich.

I also don't think much of a great many of the $10-$20 books that are sold on Amazon and other places. They are generally churned out by what is not far off slave labor, using aspiring copywriters to research the subject and write a book on it. How can you be sure the writer is the expert he/she claims to be?

In my area of expertise I frequently see books, webinars, blogs etc., by "experts", that contain seriously risky misinformation that if believed and acted upon can lead to major losses. Often my loyal readers send me such cheap trash for comment.

If someone really knows their subject and writes a well-presented and genuinely authoritative book, I would expect to pay a lot more than $10-$20 for it. By way of example, my safe sourcing and importing book at $97 has produced massive ROI results for numerous buyers. Check out the provable testimonials on the website 2019 Learn To Successfully Import From China and The Rest of The World - Proven China Sourcing . When I first started selling that book online it consisted of 28 pages for $49. The ROI on that could be staggering. Annual revisions provided over the past 14 years free of charge to those who have bought a copy have now resulted in a 114 page manual with no pretty pictures and no fluff.

Walter
P.S. Fastlane members are privileged. They don't even pay full price, they visit my Marketplace offer.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I don't even like being called BRO lol. You get a pass if you are from New Zealand of course, otherwise... get outta here.

I know 1 or 2 people still trying (and sucking) at bro marketing. After all these years, it's sad.

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Reminds me on one of the seminars by Gary Halbert about BLIND ADS, they offer a mystery secret that some ordinary people use it to become successful. He also explained that once a potential buyer buys the product from the blind ad (BRO marketer), it will end the relationship.

He also reminds the attendees that they should focus on productocracy.

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Some articles on the web had a good explanation of this topic
And not just the articles posted above but also a marketer has uploaded a video on YouTube
View: https://youtu.be/OVHDCf-9z44

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Just to play devils advocate, I do think you *can* have a bad product and good marketing and be successful, of course I'm not suggesting it.

But look at alot of products out there now, designer luxury brands is a good one. $1,000 Chanel purses, $100 bottles of perfume, you name it. Crap products with absolutely brilliant marketing.

Just imagine the possibilities of combining a good product with brilliant marketing, that's how billionaires are made ''overnight''

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some articles on the web had a good explanation of this topic

Wow, I had no idea this phrase was being used to actually symbolize marketing by sleezy bros ... I use the word BRO (not for a chummy male friend) but to stand for "Boiler Room Operation."

designer luxury brands

These are actually good products. If a $1000 Chanel item was poorly constructed or didn't last, they wouldn't be able to charge a premium price.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Just to play devils advocate, I do think you *can* have a bad product and good marketing and be successful, of course I'm not suggesting it.
Depends what you mean by bad product. If you mean a product where there is little need combined with high skepticism, then great marketing isn't likely to help much.

If, however, you mean a product that addresses a market with a strong need, where skepticism is weak, but the claims of the product are exaggerated or false, then great marketing can absolutely help you succeed. This is the type of stuff people like Jordan Belfort used to sell - in his case, investment opportunities that promised overnight gains, to a hungry market.

So what is your "bad product"? A product that doesn't fulfil expectations but with a strong need behind it, or a product with a weak need that exceeds expectations?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Depends what you mean by bad product. If you mean a product where there is little need combined with high skepticism, then great marketing isn't likely to help much.

If, however, you mean a product that addresses a market with a strong need, where skepticism is weak, but the claims of the product are exaggerated or false, then great marketing can absolutely help you succeed. This is the type of stuff people like Jordan Belfort used to sell - in his case, investment opportunities that promised overnight gains, to a hungry market.

So what is your "bad product"? A product that doesn't fulfil expectations but with a strong need behind it, or a product with a weak need that exceeds expectations?

Yeh, a product that doesn't fulfill expectations is one. Bad products are allover the internet and fall under MJs push theory.

Hair loss treatment is a good one, there was a heavily marketed laser helmet that you put on top of your head and it magically grows your hair within a few months, at a whopping $700.

Or the fat burning belts you clamp on and lose 5 pounds overnight while building an 8 pack set of abs within 2 months..... I think you can get where I'm going with this. There must of been alot of millionaires that emerged from shady industries from above. But people will always look for the shortcuts, and people will cater to those lazy people looking for shortcuts.

With products like the above, I'm under the belief a crap product can be successful with good marketing but of course having a great product with great marketing is the hail mary & holy grail of entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yeh, a product that doesn't fulfill expectations is one. Bad products are allover the internet and fall under MJs push theory.

Hair loss treatment is a good one, there was a heavily marketed laser helmet that you put on top of your head and it magically grows your hair within a few months, at a whopping $700.

Or the fat burning belts you clamp on and lose 5 pounds overnight while building an 8 pack set of abs within 2 months..... I think you can get where I'm going with this. There must of been alot of millionaires that emerged from shady industries from above. But people will always look for the shortcuts, and people will cater to those lazy people looking for shortcuts.

With products like the above, I'm under the belief a crap product can be successful with good marketing but of course having a great product with great marketing is the hail mary & holy grail of entrepreneurship.
Take a look at these "products":

As far as I understand this, these businesses are clearly scams and borderline illegal (if not completely illegal in certain parts of the world). The products are effectively a large pyramid scheme.

Do you think these marketers are making good money? Personally I doubt it.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Take a look at these "products":

As far as I understand this, these businesses are clearly scams and borderline illegal (if not completely illegal in certain parts of the world). The products are effectively a large pyramid scheme.

Do you think these marketers are making good money? Personally I doubt it.

I said brilliant marketing and crap product, not crap product AND marketing :rofl:

I'd bet Lopez makes some good money

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I said brilliant marketing and crap product, not crap product AND marketing :rofl:

Wait a second :happy: - why do you think their marketing is crap? In your opinion, how would "great" marketing look like if your product is the cash gifting scheme?

Tai Lopez isn't exactly a scammer you know... he does sell educational value, it is true that you can get a lot of the mentorship stuff from elsewhere and even for free, but that isn't to say that he's not providing value or that his product is "crap". In my opinion, he has a decent product with great marketing.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Wait a second :happy: - why do you think their marketing is crap? In your opinion, how would "great" marketing look like if your product is the cash gifting scheme?

Tai Lopez isn't exactly a scammer you know... he does sell educational value, it is true that you can get a lot of the mentorship stuff from elsewhere and even for free, but that isn't to say that he's not providing value or that his product is "crap". In my opinion, he has a decent product with great marketing.

Easy,

Step 1> Lamborghini
Step 2> Suit
Step 3> Greased hair
Step 4> Talk about the benefits of telling all your friends to sign up for the gifting scheme.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Easy,

Step 1> Lamborghini
Step 2> Suit
Step 3> Greased hair
Step 4> Talk about the benefits of telling all your friends to sign up for the gifting scheme.
That sounds quite straightforward, why do you reckon they're not doing it?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

salva101

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 4, 2021
I probably spent over ~$2000 already in BRO-Marketing InfoProducts, way back in 2015~2016. If I only knew about TMF and the FLF by that time... I feel bad for finding MJ only this year. (well, very very grateful for finding MJ nonetheless and to be part of this community!)

Manfern

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
It's tricky because marketing based on what helps to survive, for some people it's huge value in this product/service, for others ones it's nothing, they can't see it, they have this knowledge already or better product at hand.
You can actually get it when reading reviews, it's about expectations too, when you expect excellent something less looks like scam.
Or I don't get it and bro marketers don't offer returns and refunds?
I mean marketing and deception are different things, of course selling product that have no real value is having no integrity, it's problem with person - seller, they gonna hurt their reputation and lost trust, most of the time they hide behind fake brands I assume

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.