The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books about the importance of time.

Idea threads

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
I've been really wanting to understand the importance of time.

I know the surface level things that entrepreneurs should know (ie time is more valuable than money, how to make returns on your time etc) but I can't seem to find good books talking about how a man should use his time, what things to put time into that matters, philosophical arguments against wasting time.

All I find are new age books about being efficient with your time.

While that certainly is important, I don't just care about how to manage time.

I want to know more about how great thinkers understand the importance of time in our day to day lives. I want to be able to put into perspective wasted time (yeah yeah, I did the weeks til death thing).

I've asked ChatGPT about this but it's been largely useless

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Your Money or Your Life is a good book, I don't remember the authors name. I haven't read it and it's entirety. But it's a way to view your life as a currency as much as the actual dollar and how you are trading it.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023

I know the surface level things that entrepreneurs should know (ie time is more valuable than money, how to make returns on your time etc) but I can't seem to find good books talking about how a man should use his time, what things to put time into that matters, philosophical arguments against wasting time.

I want to know more about how great thinkers understand the importance of time in our day to day lives. I want to be able to put into perspective wasted time (yeah yeah, I did the weeks til death thing).

I think you mean books about time management and how to do it effectively.

e_ryan

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 21, 2022
United States

Marcus Aurelius talked a lot about it in Meditations, he seemed to have a quite melancholic view of it.

Valuable nonetheless though.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've not read it but people recommend The Power of Now. I presume that's about time.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
1. Decide on the things you want to achieve
2. Figure out a schedule

From a broad perspective, your time is a reflection of your values and your schedule is the person you become.

You need time to:
  1. Eat
  2. Sleep
  3. Work
  4. Work on your business
  5. Relax
  6. Exercise

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
Marcus Aurelius talked a lot about it in Meditations, he seemed to have a quite melancholic view of it.

Valuable nonetheless though.
Currently readin on the shortness of life , this will be the next one

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
I've not read it but proper recommend The Power of Now. I presume that's about time.
Read it a couple years ago, I’ll give it another look as it was a life changing book

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Die With Zero by Bill Perkins. It's about using your money while you're alive and not waiting for retirement to make your dreams come true. It has really changed how I view spending money now. It also addresses how to value time.

I believe @biophase liked it a lot as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Die With Zero by Bill Perkins. It's about using your money while you're alive and not waiting for retirement to make your dreams come true. It has really changed how I view spending money now. It also addresses how to value time.

I believe @biophase liked it a lot as well.

+1 … I really liked it too, although I don’t agree with general concept of dying with zero, but it does a spectacular job of laying down a great philosophical framework between money and time.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I can't seem to find good books talking about how a man should use his time, what things to put time into that matters, philosophical arguments against wasting time.
That’s a question that you can only ask yourself.

Put the phone down and take a day to ponder.

Go for a walk in the cemetery to remind you about the impermanence of life.

Reflect on how you only live once and how you can make the most out of your life.

Following what other people want is the biggest waste of time. Do what you truly want to do.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've not read it but people recommend The Power of Now. I presume that's about time.

Power of Now helped me a lot because I've dealt with worrying and such. I think I was a teenager when I read it. It's not really about "time" it's more about living in the present. The present moment is all there is, so there's no point in dwelling on the past or ruminating on the future. If you plan for the future, you do so now. If you learn from the past, you do so now. If you're living in the past or in the future, you're thinking about something that isn't here now.

The other caveat is that if there's anything you want to do, you must do it now. You cannot rely on there being a future because the future is just made up. You could die today.

I don't necessarily recommend the book unless you're really in a down state. If you're depressed, if you're anxious, if your trauma is weighing you down, then I recommend the book. I recommend it to people who are overthinkers, because it basically says "think less by focusing on the present moment". Be still for a moment and just... be. It's also a very wordy and convoluted book. It comes off as "new agey" and makes references to a lot of spiritual traditions while kind of going against what they actually mean lol.

I don't believe that it's a "must read". But I read it and it helped me.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

These are things like strategies. Because you do not have infinite resource, (limited time) being one of them, you want to focus on most important goals and objective.

Just like nations develop their own geostrategies
based on their own geopolitics, you invest time towards things that you should value the most, based on your own circumstances.

The hardest part is to figure out what are things you should invest most of your time in and why.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I can't seem to find good books talking about how a man should use his time, what things to put time into that matters, philosophical arguments against wasting time.

Forget the books. Go spend time in a graveyard. Go stand near the edge of a cliff. Go skydiving. Go caving. Go climb a mountain. Go visit a nursing home. Volunteer at a hospice center.

Do things that make you acknowledge the inevitability of death.

The only way that you will learn to really appreciate your time is to feel deep in your bones that you are going to die some day. You're young so you feel like you're going to live forever, so you need to pursue experiences that break that illusion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.