The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importance of a scientific mindset in life

Anything related to matters of the mind

Amogh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 7, 2022
Note : This is just my opinion based on my current understanding. This can 100% alter as I get more life experience. I am wholly open to any valid intellectual criticism.
I've come to realize that there are mainly 2 ways to live. One is you lead life and the other is let life lead you. One is a scientific mindset whereas the other is a superstitious one.
Before getting into how these mindsets impact our life, let's see how science has evolved. We as humans didn't know a thing about 'X' and its nature. The scientists among us took it to themselves to unravel the mysteries of x and thus eventually use it to the benefit of the humankind. This is where a major difficulty arises. While studying x the scientist has to give up all the preconceived notions he has about it or what he "feels" about x (basically, unlearning)(We all know why that's difficult else you wouldn't be reading this) and has to proceed on the basis of hard evidence and unbiased observation. Evidence obtained as a result of experiments involving x. He/she then formulates a theory. If all the forthcoming experiments don't violate/challenge the theory, it becomes a law. (Like the law of effection!) But even if one experiment contradicts the theory we modify the theory to try to make it a law or we may discard it altogether. Then of course the application of this theory to the benefit of mankind.
So coming back to ourselves, we are conditioned by specific information based on our environment or even our own beliefs. That being said, any information has to come from outside ourselves. We can't think beyond the limitations of the information in our head. And if we don't know/remember which information is making us think in a particular way, doesn't mean we had an "original" thought. (I agree that my thinking and thus my actions is actually a result of the limited information I've been exposed to, my environment and my own beliefs)
So if we're left to ourselves we will by default lead a life engineered by the SCRIPT. Not that it's wrong but it's an uninteresting life and a predictable one. It's one which is essentially the repeat of the same day over and over again. Limited information effectively confines the person's decisions. By that standpoint, we are living in by far the best time in terms of ease of acquiring necessary information. But that has opened the road to information overload.
So we now understand how information drives our life. But then the challenge now is how do we distinguish the truth from the lies?The gold from the trash. The main issue with information overload is this. We are bombarded with information which may or may not be based on reality. And then when our life is mostly based on lies, nobody can protect it from collapsing badly.
Quite a challenge? The scientific mindset is what comes to our rescue. So we make observations, experiment and continue till we get to the truth. Easy? Not quite.
Chanakya (a polymath from India) once said, "If you don't learn from the mistakes of others and decide to rely on a firsthand experience of failure to learn from, then one lifetime won't be enough."
Though the scientific mindset works well in theory, we would need infinite time to actually undertake the whole process by ourselves singlehandedly.
I believe humans are inherently lazy and thus very few of us actually challenge our limits (Hey, don't worry, we're also inherently curious!). Why bother to understand the mechanism behind a certain process when you can simply say "It's magic!"and move on. We somehow like to see reality as it should be and not what it is.
What to be done now? Well we now seek right information. How? There is a high probability that the challenge you are facing right now has been faced by people before. Maybe different dynamics but same fundamentals. So when that person tried to find a solution, he faced certain difficulties and made observations, theories and experiments and hopefully would have arrived at a law as well. And he'd have documented it somewhere. Doesn't that save your time? Obviously it isn't easy to separate gold nuggets from a heap of trash. But it's still easier than doing the discovery all by yourself.
Now now now, never believe/trust anything without thorough examination yourself. While this process of seeking the right information is definitely a catalyst, we have to validate the information by experimenting it. Not in a way that'd potentially endanger you. (You know what I'm talking about) Baby steps is what I'm talking about. When you validate the information either by experimenting or observing the information in action, it becomes a law. But do understand that even one contradiction to the 'law' can render it useless.
This is the scientific mindset wherein you lead life. When you actually "control" your life to a certain extent.

Another mindset is the superstitious mindset or the SCRIPTED mindset as MJ calls it. Again sweet lies may seem comfortable in the short term. But when lies become the basis of your life, it's a recipe for destruction. Need I say more?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
So, if I make a prediction according to your theory : the scientists should be at the top of society. That's just not the case. It's more complicated than that.

Amogh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 7, 2022
So, if I make a prediction according to your theory : the scientists should be at the top of society. That's just not the case. It's more complicated than that.
Scientists have dedicated their lives for a particular topic to an extent to which some of them having no social life at all and many of them not worrying about money. Therefore their approach to life isn't holistic most of the times. This violates the 3 wealths MJ mentioned. But if we observe and understand how science works (not the scientist) and then apply that in solving the problems of our own life, the probability of success increases.

Last edited:

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
Therefore their approach to life isn't holistic most of the times.
Ah ok, I get it. So actually being holistic is more important...

I'm messing with you. I personally don't like the term "scientific" in your post. I think a better fit would be being a tinkerer or a learner, or having a growth mindset, or having an internal locus of control. But, maybe, that's also what you are referring to, and I'm just arguing semantics.

Science, to me, is a very academic activity that is being done in a controlled environment (mostly labs.) In your life, you can't really meet the standards of a "real" scientific experiment because you have no control group and a sample size of one. Also, most scientists are firmly in the slow lane anyway so I don't see the connection with the fast lane that much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Having a good background in science is good in general. My opinion is that a basic understanding of physics will help you avoid all sorts of scams and shady service people. Because this knowledge will throw up red flags when something doesn’t follow the laws of physics. For example, if you see an additive that gives your car 30% better gas mileage, you know that just cannot be true.

Amogh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 7, 2022
I'm messing with you. I personally don't like the term "scientific" in your post.

But, maybe, that's also what you are referring to, and I'm just arguing semantics.

Science, TO ME, is a very academic activity that is being done in a controlled environment (mostly labs.)
As long as the point is made, my friend.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views on my post!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.