The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Books about finding business idea

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

mosaster

New Contributor
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
Hello fellow Fastlaners :)
I'm looking for a viable business idea and that's one of the things I fail at. I cannot find an idea that would satisfy all CENTS/CENTS commandments.
Naturally, I'd like to find it and have a better understanding of a market research, because, at any point in time, I might be looking for a better perspective.
Of course, I read MJs books, this forum and MJs advice in 'The absolute BEST book you MUST read!'. Particularly that thread made me seek an answer to my problem.
What I'm looking for is an advanced read/course to baby-step myself towards right business idea - how to choose a market, research it, find a business need, evaluate and come up with a viable concept satisfying CENTS/CENTS commandments. Which books/additional sources would you recommend in this regard?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello fellow Fastlaners :)
I'm looking for a viable business idea and that's one of the things I fail at. I cannot find an idea that would satisfy all CENTS/CENTS commandments.
Naturally, I'd like to find it and have a better understanding of a market research, because, at any point in time, I might be looking for a better perspective.
Of course, I read MJs books, this forum and MJs advice in 'The absolute BEST book you MUST read!'. Particularly that thread made me seek an answer to my problem.
What I'm looking for is an advanced read/course to baby-step myself towards right business idea - how to choose a market, research it, find a business need, evaluate and come up with a viable concept satisfying CENTS/CENTS commandments. Which books/additional sources would you recommend in this regard?
Just wondering if the answer is even in a book?

My advice would be to go out and start helping people. Now.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 7, 2015
There’s a section in one of MJ’s books about finding a business idea (I think it’s TMF). It focuses on identifying problems so you can deliver a solution. It doesn’t have to be completely original, just something you can do better than what’s already available in the market.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There’s a section in one of MJ’s books about finding a business idea (I think it’s TMF). It focuses on identifying problems so you can deliver a solution. It doesn’t have to be completely original, just something you can do better than what’s already available in the market.
It often doesn't have to be better than what's already in the market. Sometimes just being there when they want it is enough.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2013
NH
"Blue Ocean Strategy" by W. Chan Kim. This book just made my top 3.

It teaches you how to go through the process of coming up with something unique, and creating new demand rather than compete for existing market customers.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
It took me 2 years to come up with a business idea. I know where you're at right now. What is your job now? What are the things you enjoy? Is there something you payed for and you thought it could be done better or improved?

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 28, 2014
"The Star Principle and how it can make you Rich" by Richard Koch. I love it as much as MJ's books. :smile:

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
MJ's books, Blue Ocean Strategy, and Lean Startup. They go together beautifully.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

FastLaner007

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 28, 2014
That's a new one to me. I can Google it of course, but what are the key highlights for you about this book?
This book is a must read for every aspiring entrepreneur if you ask me. ItsI very much on par with MJ's books. There are many deep topics covered but he focuses on becoming market leaders in high growth markets and becoming rich. He specifically uses the growth-share matrix by Boston Consulting Group. It covers everything from stellar idea generation to marketing to innovating your products or services. A solid 10/10 book coming from a self made Centi-millionaire and a Wharton MBA.

DVU

In Progress
Speedway Pass
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
how to choose a market, research it, find a business need, evaluate and come up with a viable concept
Remove "how to" and there's your answer.

There is no step-by-step guide

OP
OP
M

mosaster

New Contributor
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
To be honest I expected of myself to come up with a million dollar idea next day after I read MJs book. Now learning that it sometimes takes years to get a concept, I feel less anxious about generating it fast.
I work at IT customer support. It provides me enough money at low time investment so I can focus on doing new things.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely need to reconsider my approach.

It took me 2 years to come up with a business idea. I know where you're at right now. What is your job now? What are the things you enjoy? Is there something you payed for and you thought it could be done better or improved?
Sent from my T1-701u using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mosaster

New Contributor
Jul 18, 2017
Krakow
Considering only new models, I have probably missed the point that I can improve something. Thank for the advice!
Find a business model that is ALREADY working (that you think you'd like working in) and find a way to improve it...that's gonna be way easier than trying to do something from scratch
Sent from my T1-701u using Tapatalk

Ayanle Farah

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Ask yourself good questions, that's how I uncovered a global problem that few people are competing in and can potentially be scaled to billions of people.

When asking those questions, they should be about improvement, problem solving, helping people, making people's lives easier.

Take an hour or so, put away your phone, go somewhere where you can just think and reflect.

Good luck.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
Remove "how to" and there's your answer.

There is no step-by-step guide
There are actually several step by step guides. I linked to some of them and I can provide links to many more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock