The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book recommendation to improve copywriting skills?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Hi everyone, I'm ready for my next book and am interested in improving my copywriting skills.

I've gone through quite a few of the posts here and pulled out some ideas, but I'd be curious if there are any up-to-date recommendations you all have.

I've also browsed through Audible/Amazon, but nothing is really standing out as "the book."

And I should mention I'm not as interested in old-school copywriting books. While there's fundamental human psychology, I believe a lot has changed recently in the way people consume media (thanks to internet, social media, etc...). Is there a modern gem of a book?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
Hi everyone, I'm ready for my next book and am interested in improving my copywriting skills.

I've gone through quite a few of the posts here and pulled out some ideas, but I'd be curious if there are any up-to-date recommendations you all have.

I've also browsed through Audible/Amazon, but nothing is really standing out as "the book."

And I should mention I'm not as interested in old-school copywriting books. While there's fundamental human psychology, I believe a lot has changed recently in the way people consume media (thanks to internet, social media, etc...). Is there a modern gem of a book?

Hey Justin,

I've attached a list of recommended books. Some old some new. I think some of the new ones you might be interested are by authors: Dan Kennedy, John Carlton, Clayton Makepeace; not exhaustive by any means. You might check out AWAI (awaionline.com)

Attachments

• CopywriterReadingList.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Advertising Books To Read.docx
    13.4 KB · Views: 32

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
Hey Justin,

I've attached a list of recommended books. Some old some new. I think some of the new ones you might be interested are by authors: Dan Kennedy, John Carlton, Clayton Makepeace; not exhaustive by any means. You might check out AWAI (awaionline.com)

A new one you might be interested in is Cashvertising

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
The best way to learn how to write copy...is to...start writing copy.

The books listed above are enough to get you started.

I second that. I've been copying the greatest ads by hand for several months now. You can get a swipe file off the internet (try swiped.co)
This will train your subconscious.

Also, I write 250 words every morning on any given topic.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Awesome stuff. Thank you both. I just purchased a couple off of your list, Chris.

And yes, I write plenty of copy...just looking for continuous improvement. ;)

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England

Hi Justin I read a GOLD post last night that had a long list of books to read, on copy. Here's the link to the page with the info on www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/learning-to-program-is-stupid-or-smart.41319/ post is by CryptO

Last edited by a moderator:

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California

I used to have this attitude as well but it was an incorrect one and it cost me a lot of money. The human brain hasn't changed biologically in the last 100 years. We still respond to the same concepts.

So, you're leaving a lot of learning 'on the table' if you choose to not study the classic copywriters. Many of which wrote the book on selling. Literally and figuratively.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
That defacto list posted up earlier hits the nail on the head. If you're looking for absolute MASTERY, read Breakthrough Advertising a few times. It really is a stellar book for copywriting, thought not exactly for the novice.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I used to have this attitude as well but it was an incorrect one and it cost me a lot of money. The human brain hasn't changed biologically in the last 100 years. We still respond to the same concepts.

So, you're leaving a lot of learning 'on the table' if you choose to not study the classic copywriters. Many of which wrote the book on selling. Literally and figuratively.
So true!
"What I share with you here are the advanced salesmanship techniques that have
not changed since the beginning of time. Guys in togas were using these basic principles
to earn fortunes selling chariots in ancient Rome. You're seeing the same expert
techniques at work on late-night infomercials today, and in multi-million dollar mail
order campaigns and direct response ads that transform simple entrepreneurs into
fabulously wealthy moguls almost overnight."

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado

Makes sense. Thanks.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY

3 words for that: Psychology! Psychology! Psychology!

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Boy, reading through "Scientific Advertising" sure makes me appreciate being in a world where we can use Google Analytics to run copy experiments. Hearing the author describe doing the same activities in mail-order only days is pretty brutal!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.